Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Playoffs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Playoffs? Reply with quote

We are on the cusp of reaching the playoffs. In fact we just need the Jags to take care of the Titans and us to beat the Bengals, but that game is in prime time, so its not looking too good.

still, an interesting thing about the playoffs

its possible, and not that far fetched for the Texans and the Titans to get in to the playoffs

it would require the Texans to win the division, we cant get in as the wild card team, we can only get in as the division winner, so either 10-6 or 9-7, but it requires we beat the Titans, and the Raiders to beat the Colts. For us, all we have to do is beat the Titans, the bengals game really doesnt matter for us.

If that happens and the Colts are 8-8 and the titans are 9-7, all very realistic goals, then a few other things need to fall into place

Dolphins have to lose to the Bills and the Patriots.
considering the Bills are techincally still alive, and the game will probably be in a blizzard, thats possible, and the Patriots might be playing for the 1 seed still

Ravens have to lose to the Steelers and Bengals.
This is tricky, as the bengals are out and have nothing to play for, but its still a rivalry game, and I am sure they would love to bounce the Ravens from the playoffs.

Denver has to lose at least once against Chiefs and Raiders
again, very possible.

for as bad as the AFC South has been talked about, here we are in week 16 and 3 teams have a chance at both the division and the wild card

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Tennessee wins early in the day Saturday, and our game vs the Bengals means nothing at that point, I hope BoB is smart enough to rest a few guys who are banged up (Miller among others). Let Savage start and play our offense like normal so he gets more comfortable with it. Be smart, but use it as a good learning game for TS and our offense.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to O’Brien, making the best decision is “something that only a head coach can explain or feel.”

translation, I'll have to get permission from the bosses before i name a starter

Longhorns90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Playoffs? Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
We are on the cusp of reaching the playoffs. In fact we just need the Jags to take care of the Titans and us to beat the Bengals, but that game is in prime time, so its not looking too good.

still, an interesting thing about the playoffs

its possible, and not that far fetched for the Texans and the Titans to get in to the playoffs

it would require the Texans to win the division, we cant get in as the wild card team, we can only get in as the division winner, so either 10-6 or 9-7, but it requires we beat the Titans, and the Raiders to beat the Colts. For us, all we have to do is beat the Titans, the bengals game really doesnt matter for us.

If that happens and the Colts are 8-8 and the titans are 9-7, all very realistic goals, then a few other things need to fall into place

Dolphins have to lose to the Bills and the Patriots.
considering the Bills are techincally still alive, and the game will probably be in a blizzard, thats possible, and the Patriots might be playing for the 1 seed still

Ravens have to lose to the Steelers and Bengals.
This is tricky, as the bengals are out and have nothing to play for, but its still a rivalry game, and I am sure they would love to bounce the Ravens from the playoffs.

Denver has to lose at least once against Chiefs and Raiders
again, very possible.

for as bad as the AFC South has been talked about, here we are in week 16 and 3 teams have a chance at both the division and the wild card

Actually, if Houston's the 9-7 team in the scenario you posted instead of the Titans, we get in as well. We hold the tiebreaker with Miami (and the tiebreaker if it's Miami and Denver, as the head-to-head loss to Denver doesn't come into play there). Only if Baltimore gets involved do we lose the tiebreaker. As 9-7 is literally the lowest Miami can go, they will always be involved in the tiebreaker, so the loss to Denver doesn't hurt *as* much.

Should note that if Baltimore were to take the division and Pittsburgh were in the tiebreaker instead at 9-7 we'd also get the playoffs, but that would require losing to the 0-14 Cleveland Browns, so forgive me if I'm not taking all that much investment in that scenario.

That said, we're god awful on the road, so I'd prefer to just win the division.
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some things we need to happen this week.

obviously the big thing is we need 1 win and 1 titans loss to make the playoffs.
That can happen this week or next week.

in the event that we win this week and lose to the titans, there are several games of interest to us in making the wild card round:

Bills beat Dolphins
Steelers beat Ravens
Chiefs beat Broncos

then in week 17, assuming we lose, we would need

Patriots over Dolphins
Bengals over Ravens

the only one that would be considered an upset is the Bengals over the Ravens, but it is vital.

so is the dolphins losing the last 2, they are pretty much in with 1 win under most situations.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really want the Ravens to beat Pit and then the Bengals to beat the Ravens next week, (with us winning both games) to have a shot at the 3 seed, which would mean avoiding NE as long as possible.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariota being put in an air cast and carted off the field, we are primed to win the division tonight!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Mariota being put in an air cast and carted off the field, we are primed to win the division tonight!

never underestimate this teams will to lose lol but there shouldnt be any way that the titans can beat us next week, but i really dont want it to get that far.

I want to see Savage take control of this starting QB job going forward. Clinch the division and use next week as way for us to give Savage more reps. There is no way i would rest him next week even if the game doesnt matter

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, its very possible that next week even if we have the division clinched, will be a battle for the 3 seed

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang matt cassell about to go retro Cassell

mse326

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another big QB bites the dust. Carr looks like he broke something. This may be premature to say however as there hasn't been an announcement.

If we can get the 3 seed we'd have a decent chance of making it to the AFC Championship game

To get 3 wee need
-Win Out
-Baltimore beat the Steelers and lose to the Bengals

That is very possible.

6th seed looks like it's be either the Dolphins or Chiefs. I'm not saying we should be favored against either team but it certainly wouldn't be a shock for us to beat either either. There is also a possibility that the Raiders fall to 5 and the Chiefs are #2 but again I think we can beat them (we did earlier in the year).

Now even if all that happens we'll likely get slaughtered in the AFCC by either the Patriots or Steelers but who knows.

#JDI
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Looks like another big QB bites the dust. Carr looks like he broke something. This may be premature to say however as there hasn't been an announcement.

If we can get the 3 seed we'd have a decent chance of making it to the AFC Championship game

To get 3 wee need
-Win Out

That is very possible.

6th seed looks like it's be either the Dolphins or Chiefs. I'm not saying we should be favored against either team but it certainly wouldn't be a shock for us to beat either either. There is also a possibility that the Raiders fall to 5 and the Chiefs are #2 but again I think we can beat them (we did earlier in the year).

Now even if all that happens we'll likely get slaughtered in the AFCC by either the Patriots or Steelers but who knows.

Dolphins and Raiders are the only teams we can beat

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need the Dolphins in the wild card

we need them badly

i dont want to get bounced by the chiefs again

mse326

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
mse326 wrote:

To get 3 wee need
-Win Out

That is very possible.

We already beat the Chiefs. Our defense is good and their offense isn't particularly scary. I would expect a really low scoring game and any team can win in those with just 1 play.

#JDI
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
mse326 wrote:

To get 3 wee need
-Win Out

That is very possible.

We already beat the Chiefs. Our defense is good and their offense isn't particularly scary. I would expect a really low scoring game and any team can win in those with just 1 play.

we had Watt and our offense has gotten worse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: