Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OPINIONS DESIRED: Draft stock for Winston and Pope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: OPINIONS DESIRED: Draft stock for Winston and Pope Reply with quote

Hey. A couple of my personal favorite prospects in the upcoming NFL funbowl are LT Eric Winston from Miami, and TE Leonard Pope from Georgia. Both have their detractors, but I think there are few, if any, that completely dismiss their talent or potential to be solid players, at least, at the next level. Winston is considered a possible medical risk because of a prior ACL tear, and Pope needs to show he could be an effective blocker in the Pros, and that he's a viable, relable target. Their stock fluctuates a LOT, depending on whom you ask, and it is because of this that I'd like to get some sort of general rating of their stock from folks who follow the draft... -good readers, all of you:-) Here's my take on them:
WINSTON: Before his injury, Winston was generally conceded to be a likely top-10 pick, if not even higher. Plays the most important OL position, left tackle, and did so at a high level at one of the premier programs in the country. Has ideal tools as far as quickness and agility go, and proved it at the combine, running a sub-5.00 40, at almost 6'7", and around 310 lbs. Needs to get a little bigger and stronger, I think, but easily has the frame to do so. At his best, I see him as a SOLID starting tackle, with perhaps Pro-Bowl potential. Better pass-blocker at this stage than a run-blocker, but at LT, that's no biggy. I see him going as early, trades not considered, to either Dallas or San Diego at #18 or #19, and no lower than the first 3 picks of the 2nd round, with either Houston, New Orleans, or the Jets picking him up.
POPE: One of my personal favorite players in this draft, the key word with Pope is POTENTIAL. He has a body design, at a shade under 6'8", nearly 260 pounds, to be an almost uncoverable red-zone target. Has good speed for a TE (low 4.6's), especially for a man of his dimensions. Doesn't strike me as the most natural receiver, yet, but I think he's still growing into the role. His combination of height, leaping ability, and long arms would seem to make him a near-unstoppable receiving option, in certain circumstances. Pope's biggest question appears to be his blocking ability. At his current weight, I think he'll struggle, so I'd like to see him up to around 275-280. I think he would be a great pick for Chicago, Carolina, or Jacksonville, at #'s 26, 27, and 28, respectively. Denver or Arizona in the 2nd round are likely, as well, or perhaps even Detroit. I couldn't see him falling any lower than to, say, Minnesota at #48, where he'd be a world-class steal.

Last edited by Suffering_Bills on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:04 am; edited 2 times in total
GridironCentral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that assessment. I've got EW going to SD at #19 and LP going to JAX at #28.

I had an exclusive interview with Leonard Pope last week, and I'll have the transcript posted here as soon as I get it typed up. I think you would enjoy it...
LE#16

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." - 1 Corinthians 9:24
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GridironCentral wrote:
I agree with that assessment. I've got EW going to SD at #19 and LP going to JAX at #28.

I had an exclusive interview with Leonard Pope last week, and I'll have the transcript posted here as soon as I get it typed up. I think you would enjoy it...

Always a pleasure to meet another like-minded individual. Thanks much.
goblue42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both players alot too. I really like WInston and my dream Lions draft is huff at #9 at Wintson at 40. I think Winston will go at the tailend of round one or the very top of #2. The same for Pope. They both have tremendous upside and good work ethic. The Broncos may be a good home for Pope.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goblue42 wrote:
I like both players alot too. I really like WInston and my dream Lions draft is huff at #9 at Wintson at 40. I think Winston will go at the tailend of round one or the very top of #2. The same for Pope. They both have tremendous upside and good work ethic. The Broncos may be a good home for Pope.

Thanks, but do you know what your dream draft SHOULD be? The Lions packaging their 1st, 2nd, and next year's 1st to move up with New Orleans and selecting Mario Williams;-)
goblue42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
goblue42 wrote:

Thanks, but do you know what your dream draft SHOULD be? The Lions packaging their 1st, 2nd, and next year's 1st to move up with New Orleans and selecting Mario Williams;-)

As much as I would love Mario, as he is a franchise type player, we dont have the ammunition to do so. I wish Mario was around when we took Crogers or CRasta what ever he goes by. Same for Joey Blueskies. Millen just never gets it right in the first round. We have drafted great with our 2nd picks, Kevin JOnes, Kalimba, Shaun Rogers. Maybe we should just trade our first round picks for additional 2nds Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: