You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2017 NFL Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is incredibly DB heavy. I've watched probably 10 DBs the last two days and I'm astounded by how good pretty much all of them are. I was knocking Quincy Wilson the other day but then I went on to find myself comparing him to Antonio Cromartie... which is pretty high praise for someone I consider to be a second round corner.

That being said, I still would like Swearinger and Jefferson back, but our hands are 100% tied this year with our salary cap so it's tough for me to see them both coming back

#JDI
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
The OL is a significantly bigger problem and showed a lot less consistent play than I believe you're attributing to it FTW but yes, this OL class is very thin and we'd probably be better served searching free agency for potential upgrades and/or pouring the coals to these young guy to get them ready for the challenges that lie ahead.

Not a year for OL needy teams, that's for certain.

What I meant with regards to the OL is we have 4 players who are young, cheap, and potentially have some upside. With the holes on our roster I don't see the point in investing on day 2/3 on the OL, we have needs elsewhere with no answers under contract.

Iowa Birdgang wrote:
That stinks. Draft people are saying safety is really good, do you think we might look at those players or focus on Tony and DJ?

I think Adams and Hooker would definitely be in play if we can't retain our safeties and they are available at 13. Both are fantastic players.

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
This draft is incredibly DB heavy. I've watched probably 10 DBs the last two days and I'm astounded by how good pretty much all of them are. I was knocking Quincy Wilson the other day but then I went on to find myself comparing him to Antonio Cromartie... which is pretty high praise for someone I consider to be a second round corner.

That being said, I still would like Swearinger and Jefferson back, but our hands are 100% tied this year with our salary cap so it's tough for me to see them both coming back

Think your selling Wilson short, he's in play at #13 for me.

I think we can afford both DJ and TJ, but I'm not sure its optimal to pay both, might be better spending elsewhere and retaining one. Think DJ might be the cheaper of the 2 and honestly I think he's more valuable. Could be bad blood with TJ after that low RFA tender last year too, he might not want to come back.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With the holes on our roster I don't see the point in investing on day 2/3 on the OL, we have needs elsewhere with no answers under contract."

Aside from QB, WR and the defensive back end, we have no larger holes than the offensive line. It's arguably our largest trouble area to be quite frank. I can't get behind that line of thinking, all due respect.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.J. Swearinger resurrected his career?

Let me guess his role in your defense. You used him as a ROVER of sorts. You mainly had him line up in the box close to the LOS and hunt the ball. You had him play some man-to-man on TEs, HBs, and occasionally a slot WR. In zone, you kept him in the short to intermediate range instead of playing him deep.

I could be wrong on that, but that's just my guess based on seeing him in college. I just don't get NFL teams with safeties. Mark Barron is another great example of a highly drafted safety who was just used completely wrong and made to look bad.

For example, Tony Jefferson landed on the perfect team with you guys. I could see him being a core special teamer or out of the league if another team grabbed him and insisted on using him completely incorrectly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
"With the holes on our roster I don't see the point in investing on day 2/3 on the OL, we have needs elsewhere with no answers under contract."

Aside from QB, WR and the defensive back end, we have no larger holes than the offensive line. It's arguably our largest trouble area to be quite frank. I can't get behind that line of thinking, all due respect.

I just don't think a mid round pick is an upgrade on what we've got on the bench. Probably only keep 8/9 OL, if Wetzel/Toner and a center(Boehm/Shipley/UFA) are on the bench already, that's pretty crowded. Yes, Iupati becomes cut-able next year so we might need a replacement there and yes RG is a hole right now, but I'm expecting something done about RG in free agency and we can revisit LG next season. Tackles aren't going anywhere, we drafted a center last year.

jrry32 wrote:

Let me guess his role in your defense. You used him as a ROVER of sorts. You mainly had him line up in the box close to the LOS and hunt the ball. You had him play some man-to-man on TEs, HBs, and occasionally a slot WR. In zone, you kept him in the short to intermediate range instead of playing him deep.

I could be wrong on that, but that's just my guess based on seeing him in college. I just don't get NFL teams with safeties. Mark Barron is another great example of a highly drafted safety who was just used completely wrong and made to look bad.

For example, Tony Jefferson landed on the perfect team with you guys. I could see him being a core special teamer or out of the league if another team grabbed him and insisted on using him completely incorrectly.

Swearinger's played multiple roles, both in the box and as a deep safety. Your role better describes Tony Jefferson, though that could very well be DJ's full-time role next season.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards_FTW wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I just don't think a mid round pick is an upgrade on what we've got on the bench. Probably only keep 8/9 OL, if Wetzel/Toner and a center(Boehm/Shipley/UFA) are on the bench already, that's pretty crowded. Yes, Iupati becomes cut-able next year so we might need a replacement there and yes RG is a hole right now, but I'm expecting something done about RG in free agency and we can revisit LG next season. Tackles aren't going anywhere, we drafted a center last year.

jrry32 wrote:

Swearinger's played multiple roles, both in the box and as a deep safety. Your role better describes Tony Jefferson, though that could very well be DJ's full-time role next season.

It's not about finding clear upgrades to mid-range development players, it's about creating and fostering competition. That is the point of the day 3 selections, developing a healthy middle-low end depth chart through competition, taking chances on high risk prospects and improving your STs. If we completely eliminate option A, we're going to be at a huge disadvantage to acquiring talented players per the round, something Steve Keim already struggles with.
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

It's not about finding clear upgrades to mid-range development players, it's about creating and fostering competition. That is the point of the day 3 selections, developing a healthy middle-low end depth chart through competition, taking chances on high risk prospects and improving your STs. If we completely eliminate option A, we're going to be at a huge disadvantage to acquiring talented players per the round, something Steve Keim already struggles with.

I can agree with that.

I feel confident that, in terms of our internal depth and the quality of the draft class that the OL should not be the target area in those picks. Decisions that Keim makes between now and the draft could change my mind, as right now our depth is incredibly thin at some positions, linebacker being one of them(inside and out there is no depth). And yeah, Keim's not going to take OL off his board completely, the Walt Powell pick in 2014 is the perfect example of that. Walt had no chance of being a top-6 WR on that team yet there he was, 6th round pick. Still in the league too.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards_FTW wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I can agree with that.

I feel confident that, in terms of our internal depth and the quality of the draft class that the OL should not be the target area in those picks. Decisions that Keim makes between now and the draft could change my mind, as right now our depth is incredibly thin at some positions, linebacker being one of them(inside and out there is no depth). And yeah, Keim's not going to take OL off his board completely, the Walt Powell pick in 2014 is the perfect example of that. Walt had no chance of being a top-6 WR on that team yet there he was, 6th round pick. Still in the league too.

On day 3, we should be completely ignoring the depth chart but for a few exceptions. We need to maximize talent there, especially after losing most of the 2016 NFL Draft Class. We just need players, I don't care who they are or where they play, as long as they CAN play.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

If you ask me, I don't think we have a single true safety on the team. But Swearinger was probably the closest one to it as he was mainly used as a heavy hitter in coverage.

Between Bucanon, Swearinger, and Jefferson, as well as Branch and Mathieu, I truthfully do not think we have a single player play consistently as a deep coverage safety

#JDI
Iowa Birdgang

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who is all in play at 13 for us?
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iowa Birdgang wrote:
So who is all in play at 13 for us?

Reuben Foster, Teez Tabor, Marshon Lattimore, Mike Williams, Corey Davis, Marlon Humphrey are the top 6 names I want

Pundits will say that Trubisky, Kizer and Watson are but I reject that

#JDI
Cardsfan1121

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on free agency but my top 3 targets are ILB R. Fostee S J. Adams and WR M. Williams (chances are slim any of them are available at #13

I then would look at CB (Q. Wilson, G. Conley, M. Lattimore, T. Tabor, M. Humphrey) ILB Z. Cunningham or QB D. Kizer

We need help at a bunch of diff places WR, CB, ILB

DL and S depending on Campbell and Jefferson also could be big needs
CardsNCats

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great class for corners so we can get someone who can play at 13 there for sure.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CardsNCats wrote:
This is a great class for corners so we can get someone who can play at 13 there for sure.

With Adoree Jackson declaring, this is one of the best CB classes I've seen scene since joining FF, which was 12 long years ago. That's how good these kids are.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
CardsNCats wrote:

With Adoree Jackson declaring, this is one of the best CB classes I've seen scene since joining FF, which was 12 long years ago. That's how good these kids are.

I think there are 11 corners that I could see stepping in and starting for us week 1 this year.

#JDI

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: