Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free agents to keep an eye on '17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licht has been solid the past two years in the offseason. Hopefully like anything he is getting a better feel for this team and being a GM and he gives our team another big boost again this offseason.

It's just so hard to predict who you'll go after this early in the process. Especially since we don't have any idea who will hit the market. Ayers and Grimes were value and huge for the D last offseason. We need to do that again.

Smack ^
Make Tampa Famous, Jameis!
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Shorty wrote:
Licht has been solid the past two years in the offseason. Hopefully like anything he is getting a better feel for this team and being a GM and he gives our team another big boost again this offseason.

It's just so hard to predict who you'll go after this early in the process. Especially since we don't have any idea who will hit the market. Ayers and Grimes were value and huge for the D last offseason. We need to do that again.

Licht had been ok in free agency. Most of his hits came off of value contracts. 2014 where he overpaid guys like Johnson, Collins, and Verner and cutting a still top 10 left tackle in Donald pen and trading a very good center in zuttah still have hurt this team in my opinion Bc center is a glaring need.

Unless an absolute stud becomes available I'd expect similar moves to last season instead of the 2014 or moves back from the Dominik days.
nathan004

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to keep adding weapons for Winston this offseason, I am a believer in what the Cowboys have done the past few seasons which was building the best OL possible based on your draft position and FA availability. Everything starts up front and we already have a great head start with Market, Smith and Pamphile. Sweezy is also a wildcard here but it helps that we can easily move Smith to RT if we find a better LT fit or keep him there and add the best RT option out there.

One thing we really need to let go of is the concept of shifting Marpet to Center. This isn't Madden. This is the real NFL. To my knowledge, Ali has never played Center in his career but has taken a few snaps in practice to learn the position. To me, moving a young stud who is on his way to All-Pro status at OG to Center just so we can accommodate the strengths of other OLineman could be potentially the worst move for him and this team. We have too many guards and not enough Centers is not a good reason to throw him in to a position he has never played before at the NFL level. Moving from Center to OG or OT is not the same as the other way around. It's like asking a First baseman to play Catcher. Be patient with who we have and wait for the right player to come along. Hawley is serviceable for the time being.

Keep your eyes on Ryan Schraeder from Atlanta for RT position and pray somehow Cam Robinson falls to us at 18.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schraeder signed an extension in Atlanta.

Building a line like the cowboys is easier said than done. The players have to be of that caliber to select to improve. Look at the Rams. They went for that and they missed on those additions.

I'm not a fan of this OL class. Honestly the Center from Ohio state is probably the best lineman I'd take in the first three rounds. The kid from Wisconsin is a 1 year starter. Cam Robinson is more of a RT in the NFL.

So if we want to replace Donovan smith at LT and move him over to the right side this isn't the draft class to do that.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can dig keeping Marpet at RG for the reasons stated. Depending on how things shake out, the Ohio St. C Pat Elflein or LSU C Ethan Pocic, could be great picks in the 2nd round. Maybe we get lucky and a guy like the Ravens RT Rick Wagner hits the market and we go after him in FA.

On a side note, does anyone have PFF numbers on Donovan Smith? Do we need to be worried about his future on our OL?

Smack ^
nathan004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Schraeder signed an extension in Atlanta.

Building a line like the cowboys is easier said than done. The players have to be of that caliber to select to improve. Look at the Rams. They went for that and they missed on those additions.

I'm not a fan of this OL class. Honestly the Center from Ohio state is probably the best lineman I'd take in the first three rounds. The kid from Wisconsin is a 1 year starter. Cam Robinson is more of a RT in the NFL.

So if we want to replace Donovan smith at LT and move him over to the right side this isn't the draft class to do that.

Didn't know about Schraeder. That's a bummer.

Just saying that building up front is where we should focus first. Reaching for need instead of waiting for top talent isn't the way of going about it though. Thankfully for us, Cam Robinson isn't a reach IMO and his fit at RT is just what we need most right now. D, Smith isn't in the realm of bust for me yet and it's very possible he continues to progress. No need to press for his replacement now i a lackluster draft and FA. Only possible option would be via trade but nobody trades top tier LT's anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give Monken a ton of credit with the WR group. Evans and Humphries took major steps forward. Shepard had his best season at WR.

I think Licht goes shopping in the bargain bin not the high ticket items. I wouldn't mind them taking a run at C. Patterson from the Vikings. Instantly improve kickoff returns. See if Monken can develop him. I think it is a worthwhile gamble. Certainly can still draft another WR early in the draft.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't look at Patterson as a guy who could come in a take pressure off of Evans. Would still like him though. Special teams alone he would be worth it. Maybe a little out of the backfield as well.

Guys want a deal I'd look at brining in Taylor Gabriel.

Adopt-a-Buc Jameis Winston 4,090 YDs 28 TDs 18 INTs
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
I wouldn't look at Patterson as a guy who could come in a take pressure off of Evans. Would still like him though. Special teams alone he would be worth it. Maybe a little out of the backfield as well.

Guys want a deal I'd look at brining in Taylor Gabriel.

Patterson would fill in nicely as a 4th receiver and returner. He's not coming back to Minnesota who's cap strapped.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/cap/2017/

I keep saying $70+ but after a quick look we could easily have $95,000,000 in cap space Shocked

Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving the FA conversation back over here. To your point Deuces, it's not a slam dunk the Chiefs keep Berry. I think the probably work something out, but at the end of the day if they don't I'd be psyched with our secondary looking like this next year.

CB: Grimes
SS: Tandy
FS: Berry
CB: VHIII

Nickel: JAB
Dime: Elliott

Here is an article from last summer that talked about the dilemma the Chiefs now face.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/17376/with-no-long-term-deal-for-eric-berry-chiefs-face-trouble-in-2017

Smack ^
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8434/kawann-short

Quote:
Short is likely looking for a deal near the $17 million per Fletcher Cox landed from the Eagles, and the Panthers were reportedly not willing to go over $15 million annually last summer. Like with Josh Norman last offseason, the Panthers could be headed toward an extended standoff with one of their top defensive players. For what it is worth, Short did say he would sign the franchise tender if it came to that, but a report was quickly leaked to Pro Football Talk walking that comment back.

bucsfan333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof. That's a lot of money.

Let's do it.

Adopt-a-Buc Mike Evans 96 RECs 1,321 YDs 12 TDs
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with many Panthers fans. They laughed at the thought Short receives $17 mil per and said he isn't worth close to that. Also added he isn't that good.

Not saying he is trash but doesn't sound like a guy I want to give a record breaking contract to.

Smack ^
indifference

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers just drafted Vernon Butler last year in the first round. I would be shocked if they signed him with that contract demand. He'll probably be back though via franchise tag, I don't think their GM will make the same mistake twice. And he is absolutely NOT worth $17M per season. I know we have a crap load of cap room but we need to allocate it at different positions. For 17M, we can pick-up two quality wide receivers for Winston and still have money left over to get a big name guy. I'll take Poe or Berry on this team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: