You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garoppolo Asking Price?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

I just struggle to see the real contenders giving up a top 5 or 10 pick for a player with limited snaps.

I understand what you're saying, but I think this is a stupid mentality on behalf of any GM who thinks this way. No problem pending a top pick on a college player who has no experience, no NFL coaching and is a total unknown but trading that pick for a guy who has a few years experience in a high quality coaching system, playing behind one of the GOAT and a guy who you have real film of playing against NFL caliber defenses - that's a bridge too far and too risky?
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I just struggle to see the real contenders giving up a top 5 or 10 pick for a player with limited snaps.

I understand what you're saying, but I think this is a stupid mentality on behalf of any GM who thinks this way. No problem pending a top pick on a college player who has no experience, no NFL coaching and is a total unknown but trading that pick for a guy who has a few years experience in a high quality coaching system, playing behind one of the GOAT and a guy who you have real film of playing against NFL caliber defenses - that's a bridge too far and too risky?

Agreed - my issue as a GM would be you only get him for a year. But again, if you think he's the real deal, you pull the trigger and it's a happy consequence if he succeeds and you pay him out the a$$ to lock him up long term.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What teams could be interested in him?

Browns maybe
Chargers only if they go to LA and Rivers retired
Jets but unlikely they'd want to trade within the division
Bears if they're finally done with Cutler
Saints long shot but maybe Brees retires or demands a trade to a contender
49ers
Cardinals perhaps

In all honesty it likely comes down to Chicago, San Fran and Arizona

I'd imagine the Patriots plan to sell him to the highest bidder but there is a point where it's worth keeping him as a high end backup in case Brady goes down for 4-6 weeks as he will keep you guys in the race. Plus if you keep him you get a 2019 3rd rounder when he signs an Osweiler esque free agent contract

What's the lowest point you trade him for? 2nd rounder?

Fify.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
What teams could be interested in him?

Browns maybe
Chargers only if they go to LA and Rivers retired
Jets but unlikely they'd want to trade within the division
Bears if they're finally done with Cutler
Saints long shot but maybe Brees retires or demands a trade to a contender
49ers
Cardinals perhaps

In all honesty it likely comes down to Chicago, San Fran and Arizona

I'd imagine the Patriots plan to sell him to the highest bidder but there is a point where it's worth keeping him as a high end backup in case Brady goes down for 4-6 weeks as he will keep you guys in the race. Plus if you keep him you get a 2019 3rd rounder when he signs an Osweiler esque free agent contract

What's the lowest point you trade him for? 2nd rounder?

That's not how compensation picks work
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the Browns to at least talk to you guys about him, but talk of first is crazy at this point. He simply hasn't done enough to say he is better than where he was drafted.

So I would be ok with us giving up 33 a 4th this year and a mid rounder next year.

That's a good deal for a 2nd round QB who has pretty much done nothing except show he is injure prone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
I would like the Browns to at least talk to you guys about him, but talk of first is crazy at this point. He simply hasn't done enough to say he is better than where he was drafted.

So I would be ok with us giving up 33 a 4th this year and a mid rounder next year.

That's a good deal for a 2nd round QB who has pretty much done nothing except show he is injure prone

Calling Garoppolo "injury prone" proves you're not interested in intellectually honest discourse.

Also saying he hasn't done anything to suggest he's better than where he was drafted is laughable unless you don't understand the value and success rates of 2nd round picks.

I get that you don't think he's worth a high first. That's a legitimate stance to take. Supporting it with obviously disingenuous arguments doesn't really make sense to me though. It's pretty easy to build a case - not a good one IMO mind you - that he's not worth a top 10 pick in trade. But not with "injury prone" and "hasn't proven he's better than a 2nd round draft selection"

I'd put this out there though - for any fan of a team who needs a QB - why trade for Garoppolo if you don't think he's your franchise QB? Any front office acquiring him is doing so in the hopes of landing a franchise QB and given his contract status, he's likely to be re-signed by the acquiring team for a pretty nice chunk of change. In that case, given that you're making that commitment to him, a 1st round pick is hardly something to hold up a deal.

To be perfectly honest, I think teams are way too conservative at the QB position. Clinging to guys who can't win you a championship or convincing themselves that with the right coaches and if they hit on a bunch of defensive draft picks, they too can win a Super Bowl with a marginal QB. It is absolute stupidity in my mind, and it's why teams like the Browns and the Jets have wallowed (in large part) in misery for two decades. If you don't have a franchise QB, go get one. And if the guy you get sucks because you made an obviously stupid draft pick, (Sanchez, Weeden, Manziel), go get another franchise QB. And if that guy sucks, fire the GM and find a new GM who can go get a QB.

It's really, really hard to win without a top 10 QB. It's even harder to sustain winning year to year without an elite QB. If you don't have one, and you're not actively trying to get one, you're a failure of a front office IMO. Unless you have a plan to acquire a team of HOF or HO very good defensive talent and an elite defensive coaching staff - most times that doesn't even work - then you should be focused on getting a QB all day and all night. It's a QB driven league and paying handsomely for a potential franchise QB - whether it's Garoppolo or Hundley or whomever - should be obvious.
1ForTheThumb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
The Bears make sense for a couple of reasons,

1. John Fox does not work with rookie QBs.
2. Lots of Illinois and Eastern Illinois connections
3. Fox and Pace need to start winning now
4. Pats and Bears have made like 3 trades in the last 365 days.

I doubt they will move the 3rd pick.

But 2(36) and 2(2018) maybe Kyle Fuller as well, could be a very real possibility. Now is that as much as the Browns offering 1(10), no, but I am not sure what teams will offer a top 10 pick for a guy who is a free agent at the end of the year.

John Clayton was on ESPN Chicago and speculated that they would settle on a 2nd and a 3rd that could improve based on Jimmys play and an extension.

I really think it comes down to the Browns and the Bears. The Browns being the more likely destination because of their second 1st rounder. I'm sticking to my guns...if they can't get a first I'm not moving him. Having a QB like Jimmy another year for Brady insurance, with a talented offense in a weak division, is too valuable.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:

Based on the way the Browns draft QBs I would think the only thing in the Galaxy that makes sense for the Browns is not to draft a QB, but sign a FA. If they draft a QB I guarantee it will be the wrong guy.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the browns really need a QB though? Kessler's only a rookie and he looked OK before he got injured. Griffin is an acceptable backup, and there will be cheap veterans on the market. Obviously, if you want to win, you have to find a QB eventually - but with such good draft position this year it would make more sense to try and fill the roster gaps with rookies on cheap contracts.

Plus, I don't want JG to have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune that inevitably coincide with playing in the factory of sadness.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
MoJo63

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Do the browns really need a QB though? Kessler's only a rookie and he looked OK before he got injured. Griffin is an acceptable backup, and there will be cheap veterans on the market. Obviously, if you want to win, you have to find a QB eventually - but with such good draft position this year it would make more sense to try and fill the roster gaps with rookies on cheap contracts.

Plus, I don't want JG to have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune that inevitably coincide with playing in the factory of sadness.

Probably not it just seems they are always in the market for one. I have to wonder how impressed the Donks really are with Simien too, I think teams have him figured out.
1ForTheThumb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Schefty just said on WEEI that discussions for Jimmy G start with a 1st and 4th round draft pick, the Sam Bradford return.

He's also reported that someone close to the organization said they would be shocked if they moved him. But he's not going anywhere for anything less than a first.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schefter was on the radio this morning and said New England would ask for a 1st and 4th for Jimmy G.

Pete Prisco then tweeted that it was an insane asking price.

Ben Volin-Boston Globe

Putting my money on a high second-rounder from either the Browns or Bears
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ForTheThumb wrote:
FWIW, Schefty just said on WEEI that discussions for Jimmy G start with a 1st and 4th round draft pick, the Sam Bradford return.

He's also reported that someone close to the organization said they would be shocked if they moved him. But he's not going anywhere for anything less than a first.

Would they tag him in 2018?

I can't see New England paying for him on the open market, and I also can't see Bill losing him for nothing but a comp pick.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
1ForTheThumb wrote:

Would they tag him in 2018?

I can't see New England paying for him on the open market, and I also can't see Bill losing him for nothing but a comp pick.

If they view him as a 1st round value and think that is compensation they can realistically get, I don't see why not. They employed the tactic with Cassel back in 09.

Ultimately, I am rooting for him to be Brady's heir apparent despite how much of a long shot it is. He is already prettier than Tom, so just imagine how good he could be after he develops Wink Laughing

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
MoJo63

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Schefter report and I think a first and a fourth is high may be a bit much second and a fifth maybe. But I can't see a first for an unproven QB. The report also said the Rams paid for a mediocre QB and that the mystery behind Jimmy is suppose to be some sort of plus. If a team is giving up a first and fourth they don't want mystery they want a proven track record.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 7 of 28

Jump to: