You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garoppolo Asking Price?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
Let me ask the Cap Guru's on this forum. Is there a way to offer Jimmy a deal that via new contract or healthy extension that would keep him here? Does anyone see a way to work those numbers? If so at what cost?

There's no contract he would take that we could reasonably afford without jeopardizing the rest of the team.

Short of him wanting to play nowhere else and I can't see that. Well that being said I really feel not dealing him this year is silly.
mattyl13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
Let me ask the Cap Guru's on this forum. Is there a way to offer Jimmy a deal that via new contract or healthy extension that would keep him here? Does anyone see a way to work those numbers? If so at what cost?

There's no contract he would take that we could reasonably afford without jeopardizing the rest of the team.

The Pats have just under $60M in cap space at this point in time. At this time the have $80M in space next year(assuming the cap is the same as this year(it will be higher)).

They absolutely have enough to spend this year and roll some to next year in order to franchise JG.

Yes, they have to do extensions with some guys, but there is still a lot of room.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:

They could probably structure a deal where he was affordable in 2018 and then escalates to a large cap hit in 2019
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:

They could probably structure a deal where he was affordable in 2018 and then escalates to a large cap hit in 2019

Yeah something like that is what I was thinking with some guaranteed amount in place, I just think if they lose Hightower, and Ryan leaves we know Long won't be back, Bennett will likely be gone my train of thought would be there may be some way to make those monies more available for Jimmy iof they feel he is the real deal.

But how scary being the guy to replace Brady. Oyyy
Tommy5Rings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:

Yeah I honestly think they could theoretically do it as well.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:

This was my line of thinking, backload a contract and include conditions and accelerators/incentives. You could even include a clause that says if he doesnt start X amount of games by the end of 2018 he can void the remainder of his contract.

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:

You don't think that would impair the ability to build the rest of the team, assuming that large cap hit is close to 20M and Brady is still playing?

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:

You don't think that would impair the ability to build the rest of the team, assuming that large cap hit is close to 20M and Brady is still playing?

Obviously it would but at that point you get rid of one of them.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As explained here ( from Pats site ) http://www.patriots.com/video/2017/03/02/combine-day-2-espn-insiders-garoppolo this makes a lot of sense.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A backloaded contract is a risk for a player.

Especially when a team like the Bears or Browns would pay him 40 million + in the first 2 years.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Especially when a team like the Bears or Browns would pay him 40 million + in the first 2 years.

But if they tag him next year that will be two years and if the pats determine TB has tapered off the Pats will work a deal before he can hit the market.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Playing for either of those teams comes with risk too. If he's looking to cash in, obviously a backloaded deal doesn't make sense. If winning immediately or playing in a stable, talent rich environment is important, he would likely be interested in a backloaded but lucrative deal.

How he values extra up front money compared to personal and team success is a total unknown.
m haynes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on QB that I'm watching at combine. Adds to value JG

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech ----- Natural arm strength. Wild.

Davis Webb, Cal. ... Strongest arm in the draft, wow it explodes. TE Olson shocked on his size and arm strength

Deshaun Watson, Clemson. ... Wow he can make all the throws, smooth he looked the part.

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame ----Disappointment. lack arm strength and was wild with his throw.

Mitch Trubisky Nothing special nothing bad I would question arm strength. IMO He had to load up to throw. He must be unbelievable in a game to even to consider him as the 1st pick in the draft. You have to have a lot of guts making that choice. I don't see it. I just back up the DVR and he has IMO a fatal flaw. He has to push off and follow through just like a pitcher, to make certain passes. West coast might work that's it, he doesn't have the arm strength.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Playing for either of those teams comes with risk too. If he's looking to cash in, obviously a backloaded deal doesn't make sense. If winning immediately or playing in a stable, talent rich environment is important, he would likely be interested in a backloaded but lucrative deal.

How he values extra up front money compared to personal and team success is a total unknown.

He's got 2 rings already. It's money vs winning as a starter. No matter what, he will always have experienced winning a super bowl.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

He's got 2 rings already. It's money vs winning as a starter. No matter what, he will always have experienced winning a super bowl.

Winning a Super Bowl as a backup isn't the same as leading your team to a Super Bowl. And he has a much better chance of leading the Pats to the Super Bowl in 2018 or 2019 than the Browns any time.

His chances of personal success are much greater in New England than with Cleveland or Chicago. Better coaches, better talent around him, more stable organization. How many decent young QB's or possible franchise QB's have failed in the NFL because they've had 4 coaches in 5 years or an OL which is awful? How many QB's have failed to develop because their skill position talent sucks and changes constantly?

I get that Garoppolo can make more immediately by leaving. I think his long term earnings potential is greater in New England than with a currently bad team. His chances of getting a 2nd contract (or an extension of his first contract) depend heavily on succeeding in the next 3-4 years. And his chances of succeeding are lower outside of New England.

None of which is to suggest I think he will stay. He'll likely chase the money, if given the chance. But I think it's probably a bad career move in the long term even if it's the right short term financial move.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: