You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garoppolo Asking Price?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoJo63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you all seen this?

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4801380/jimmy-garoppolo-protects-patriots-in-event-of-sudden-decline-for-tom-brady
young juice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda dumb IMO. Thought they were high on Brissett and I dont see Brady doing a sudden decline.

Cash in NOW

RIP Marquise Hill (August 8, 1982 May 28, 2007)
RIP Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 November 27, 2007)

lancerman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young juice wrote:
Kinda dumb IMO. Thought they were high on Brissett and I dont see Brady doing a sudden decline.

Cash in NOW

Based off what I saw from Brissett, I can't imagine enough changed from week 4 to now, to give anybody any serious confidence in him as a true starter. He's a classic case of a guy who will need careful development.

And to be honest, I think this is a crucial year for all involved.

Brady: Will he show signs of a decline?
Brissett: Will he improve enough to be a viable longterm option?
Garoppolo: Will they want to make a real commitment to him that limits how they proceed going forward?

I get the sense that they view him as the guy who should probably be the heir to Tom Brady and timing is now throwing a wrench in it. You have to realize they drafted Jimmy after Brady just had his first season on the wrong side of 40 and it was one of the worst seasons of his career (2013). Since then Brady bounced back in a big way after a slow start in 2014, won a SB, and in the last two years had some of if not the best seasons of his career. And he looks as good as ever, hasn't had a major injury in almost a decade, claims to feel better now than he did in his 20's.

I think people should brace themselves to a rocky off season next year. It's do or die time with Jimmy. Unless they are willing to strain the cap to keep on two QB's, they are going to end up making one of two decisions they likely don't want to make.
Tommy5Rings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
young juice wrote:

Cash in NOW

Based off what I saw from Brissett, I can't imagine enough changed from week 4 to now, to give anybody any serious confidence in him as a true starter. He's a classic case of a guy who will need careful development.

And to be honest, I think this is a crucial year for all involved.

Brady: Will he show signs of a decline?
Brissett: Will he improve enough to be a viable longterm option?
Garoppolo: Will they want to make a real commitment to him that limits how they proceed going forward?

I get the sense that they view him as the guy who should probably be the heir to Tom Brady and timing is now throwing a wrench in it. You have to realize they drafted Jimmy after Brady just had his first season on the wrong side of 40 and it was one of the worst seasons of his career (2013). Since then Brady bounced back in a big way after a slow start in 2014, won a SB, and in the last two years had some of if not the best seasons of his career. And he looks as good as ever, hasn't had a major injury in almost a decade, claims to feel better now than he did in his 20's.

I think people should brace themselves to a rocky off season next year. It's do or die time with Jimmy. Unless they are willing to strain the cap to keep on two QB's, they are going to end up making one of two decisions they likely don't want to make.

How spoiled are we having too many good QBs? Laughing
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading Garoppolo for anything less than a huge offer would have been stupid so I'm glad they're holding out. I think he has a ton of value to them in 2017 and I wouldn't entirely rule out him sticking beyond 2017 (albeit a small chance)
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Trading Garoppolo for anything less than a huge offer would have been stupid so I'm glad they're holding out. I think he has a ton of value to them in 2017 and I wouldn't entirely rule out him sticking beyond 2017 (albeit a small chance)

It is irrational how much I want him to be the heir. So so so small, but who knows, maybe they take the long-term approach and see hanging onto him gives the team its best chance to compete post-Brady

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
lancerman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

It is irrational how much I want him to be the heir. So so so small, but who knows, maybe they take the long-term approach and see hanging onto him gives the team its best chance to compete post-Brady

The ultimate question is how much can you live with the possibility of Brady playing up to 5 more years somewhere else and maybe becoming a Super Bowl champion for a team like the Texans or Broncos.

I don't know how much I like the idea of being the Colts and having to watching your guy put a big part of his legacy on another team.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

The ultimate question is how much can you live with the possibility of Brady playing up to 5 more years somewhere else and maybe becoming a Super Bowl champion for a team like the Texans or Broncos.

I don't know how much I like the idea of being the Colts and having to watching your guy put a big part of his legacy on another team.

Brady isn't going anywhere.
Starless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Brady plays for 3 or 4 more years, Garoppolo will be 29 or 30 by the time he can become the starter in New England if he stays here. I don't see that as an appealing prospect for either him or the team. Yes, it protects them in the event that Brady falls off a cliff sooner than that, but there's also nothing keeping them from using more draft capital to shore up against that possibility beyond 2017.

I really don't understand them refusing to trade Garoppolo unless they know something the rest of the world doesn't about Brady.
lancerman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
If Brady plays for 3 or 4 more years, Garoppolo will be 29 or 30 by the time he can become the starter in New England if he stays here. I don't see that as an appealing prospect for either him or the team. Yes, it protects them in the event that Brady falls off a cliff sooner than that, but there's also nothing keeping them from using more draft capital to shore up against that possibility beyond 2017.

I really don't understand them refusing to trade Garoppolo unless they know something the rest of the world doesn't about Brady.

It's about value.

Fixed investment: 2nd round pick.

Likely compensation: 3rd round comp pick.

Value if you keep him: An extra year to see how Brady progresses as a 40 year old, probably the best backup insurance in the league if your starter goes down, the opportunity to see if Brissett is a guy worth developing and the ability to choose to make a transition if it makes sense and start him as your franchise QB in the future.

Value if you trade him: x

What is x and is it worth more than keeping him considering what you spent and what you would get if you just let him go to free agency?

To me a 2nd isn't anywhere near significant enough to warrant the move unless you think he's not a quality player and you are truly pulling the wool over everybody's eyes.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it makes no sense for Jimmy to stay in NE to be a back up QB when he can be a starter elsewhere next year. So IMO the notion of Jimmy staying does not make a lot of sense. He like most players will be out to get paid. Murts stated short of a big deal holding onto him makes sense I assume b/c we drafted him in the second and would likely get a 3rd comp pick. Issue I have with that is his value now and then will be much greater than a 3rd. Also not sure what a big deal is I guess a 1st and 3rd as proposed by some, I would take that.

Side Question: If the Pats place the a first round tender on Butler that locks him up for a year or another first round pick. So if that plays out as it could a 1st and 3rd for Jimmy and some team pulling the trigger on the tender do you do that?

Last edited by MoJo63 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
1ForTheThumb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

While I agree I'd like to hold onto Jimmy, I don't buy Schefter's report. That's not how Belichick operates. Like you said, if they get a nice offer, they wouldn't hesitate to move him. But like you, and other have said, we're not moving him for just a second round pick or something. He has a ton of value to the 2017 Patriots.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ForTheThumb wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

While I agree I'd like to hold onto Jimmy, I don't buy Schefter's report. That's not how Belichick operates. Like you said, if they get a nice offer, they wouldn't hesitate to move him. But like you, and other have said, we're not moving him for just a second round pick or something. He has a ton of value to the 2017 Patriots.

And more value to the 2018 Patriots? If TB is not retiring anytime soon we would get nothing but a comp pick for Jimmy a potential 3rd how is there value in that? If something were to happen to TB then Brissett would have to step up and he did not look horrible.

I guess there is no real answer here we all have opinions in the end I am confident the organization will do what's best for the team, we may not like, and we will question it, but I guess we just have to trust that.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask the Cap Guru's on this forum. Is there a way to offer Jimmy a deal that via new contract or healthy extension that would keep him here? Does anyone see a way to work those numbers? If so at what cost?
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo63 wrote:
Let me ask the Cap Guru's on this forum. Is there a way to offer Jimmy a deal that via new contract or healthy extension that would keep him here? Does anyone see a way to work those numbers? If so at what cost?

There's no contract he would take that we could reasonably afford without jeopardizing the rest of the team.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: