You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garoppolo Asking Price?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Starless wrote:
Matt Cassel netted the 34th overall pick. If they can't improve on that with Garoppolo, they're getting hosed.

Can't ignore the fact that Cassel played almost a full season and looked solid over 15 games.

Garoppolo has had like 6 good quarters.
Nonetheless he put more good things on tape in those 6 quarters, I'd argue, than Cassel did that whole year. Pocket presence, accuracy, arm strength all considerably better.

Also I think the fact that Garoppolo will have another year under his rookie deal in 2017 will drive up the price somewhat, because whoever trades for him will be taking on basically no risk when it comes to salary cap, whereas Cassel was franchised before he was traded, and the Chiefs gave him a pretty hefty 6-year deal with $28 mil guaranteed before he ever played a down for them.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
A former Browns and Patriots executive is talking up the possibility that the Browns and Patriots will make a trade for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo in the offseason. Mike Lombardi, a longtime friend and colleague of Patriots coach Bill Belichick who also served as G.M. of the Browns in 2013, said on FS1 that he thinks the trade would make sense for both teams.

Lombardi: “The next quarterback that’ll be the Cleveland Browns’ quarterback perhaps is Jimmy Garoppolo in New England. I think Cleveland understands, Hue Jackson specifically understands he needs a quarterback. I think they’ll be very aggressive. I think Jimmy Garoppolo’s on top of their list, and I think they’ll go hard after him.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/10/former-browns-patriots-exec-sees-a-garoppolo-trade-to-cleveland/

I don't see it happening even though I like Jimmy G. I feel our front office knows we're not ready to put a QB in our dumpster fire situation. We have had 6 QBs start for us because of guys getting injured. They'd have to be extremely aggressive in signing free agents to change my mind on that.
Starless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
A former Browns and Patriots executive is talking up the possibility that the Browns and Patriots will make a trade for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo in the offseason. Mike Lombardi, a longtime friend and colleague of Patriots coach Bill Belichick who also served as G.M. of the Browns in 2013, said on FS1 that he thinks the trade would make sense for both teams.

Lombardi: “The next quarterback that’ll be the Cleveland Browns’ quarterback perhaps is Jimmy Garoppolo in New England. I think Cleveland understands, Hue Jackson specifically understands he needs a quarterback. I think they’ll be very aggressive. I think Jimmy Garoppolo’s on top of their list, and I think they’ll go hard after him.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/10/former-browns-patriots-exec-sees-a-garoppolo-trade-to-cleveland/

I don't see it happening even though I like Jimmy G. I feel our front office knows we're not ready to put a QB in our dumpster fire situation. We have had 6 QBs start for us because of guys getting injured. They'd have to be extremely aggressive in signing free agents to change my mind on that.
They'll have the most cap space in the league going into next season. I don't see how they don't get super aggressive in the FA market.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

They'll have the most cap space in the league going into next season. I don't see how they don't get super aggressive in the FA market.

We have a greedy [inappropriate/removed] owner though. We let a TON of guys walk and we've been notoriously cheap in free agency. I hope you're right, but Haslam is garbage.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Starless wrote:
Matt Cassel netted the 34th overall pick. If they can't improve on that with Garoppolo, they're getting hosed.

Can't ignore the fact that Cassel played almost a full season and looked solid over 15 games.

Garoppolo has had like 6 good quarters.
Nonetheless he put more good things on tape in those 6 quarters, I'd argue, than Cassel did that whole year. Pocket presence, accuracy, arm strength all considerably better.

Also I think the fact that Garoppolo will have another year under his rookie deal in 2017 will drive up the price somewhat, because whoever trades for him will be taking on basically no risk when it comes to salary cap, whereas Cassel was franchised before he was traded, and the Chiefs gave him a pretty hefty 6-year deal with $28 mil guaranteed before he ever played a down for them.

There is a lot of risk. If you give up a 1st round pick for the guy and then can't sign him, you're screwed. If you trade for him, you're resigning yourself to signing him to a mega-deal before he ever sets foot on the field or likely having to franchise tag him.

I guess you could trade for him and hope he's open to a mid-year contract extension, but that would be pretty stupid on his part considering how much he could get on the open market.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a perfect world, I'd trade Phillys pick straight up for Jimmy G. There's a strong chance that pick is in the top 10.

I want Myles Garrett with our first pick and not any of the turd QBs in this class.
trivium2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea trade for Patriots and Browns.
Patriots get
Joe Thomas
Browns 1st via Philly
Browns 2nd
Browns 2017 3rd

Browns get
Jimmy G
Nate Solder
Patriots 2nd
Starless

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trivium2009 wrote:
Patriots get
Joe Thomas
Browns 1st via Philly
Browns 2nd
Browns 2017 3rd

Browns get
Jimmy G
Nate Solder
Patriots 2nd
Laughing
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trivium2009 wrote:
Patriots get
Joe Thomas
Browns 1st via Philly
Browns 2nd
Browns 2017 3rd

Browns get
Jimmy G
Nate Solder
Patriots 2nd

Why even throw in Solder?

Browns get
Jimmy G
Pats third or fourth rounder this year

Patriots get
Browns future first (2018)
Browns second round pick

If we can get the Browns top 10 pick they have from philly we would likely have to give our second or first. Which honestly could be an option for the boys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they offer a first which looks like it will be a top 20 pick deuces Jimmy it's been real.

Laughing
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bad off season to deal Garropolo. I can see 4-5 QB's going in 1st 2 rounds this draft and guys like Romo, Cutler etc will be available as stop gaps.

I could see a 1st, but thats about the most you'll get
Starless

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
This is a bad off season to deal Garropolo. I can see 4-5 QB's going in 1st 2 rounds this draft and guys like Romo, Cutler etc will be available as stop gaps.

I don't really follow college football but I hear bad things about this QB class. And nobody's going to pass on Garoppolo for a broken Tony Romo or Jay Cutler.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:

QB's will go early in the draft because they usually do, even if they're not great prospects. This is an especially bad class of QB prospects though.

As for Cutler Laughing Laughing come on. Let's be serious.

Romo might be a better get than Garoppolo but only for a team in a very specific situation. I don't think Romo suitors and Garoppolo suitors will overlap much.

That said, I'm not convinced the Pats trade Garoppolo this offseason anyway. In fact, I think that, right now, it's more likely than not that they keep him.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Pats keep Jimmy G what happens at the end of 2017?

If Brady is still playing Jimmy can leave and Beilchek will not be a fan of getting nothing in return.

You could tag him, but that will be a 22+ million dollar hit at that point just for Jimmy.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the deal will look similar to the Alex Smith deal of 2x 2nd round picks?

Jimmy is cheaper, but far less experienced.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28

Jump to: