Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Draft, prospects to keep an eye on.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ericsvibe


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 1134
Location: East Helena, MT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: 2017 Draft, prospects to keep an eye on. Reply with quote

At this point in the season, we pretty much know what our needs are. We can discuss some players to keep in eye on here.

At OLB, there isn't allot of top talent that are what we would consider, a true OLB. By that I mean a player that is more than just a light DE/pass rush specialist. It seems that Charles Harris, Tim Williams are more well known, but both of these players are on the heavy side to play true OLB. Both are already over 160 lbs, and most college players gain muscle in an NFL strength and conditioning program. That would put them in the 170 lb range mid career. So I am won't include them.

Carroll Phillips, OLB Illinois
Height: 6-3. Weight: 240
Projected 40- 4.6 range
1st to 2nd round

Here is a LB that hasn't received the hype of some of the other, more well known LB's. Phillips is a more well rounded OLB, who has rushed the passer, played against the run, and been asked to cover. He has better all around skill set to me. He has the skills to be an every down OLB in the NFL.

Jarrad Davis, OLB Florida
Height: 6-2. Weight: 230
Projected 40- 4.7 range
2nd to 3rd round.

Davis has had an up and down career. In 2015 he played like a monster, in 2016 he has struggled to get off of blocks and been washed out in the run game. He is a bit light, but again, he should wind up in the 240 lb range in the NFL, which is adequate for a WLB. He has great instincts, is an above average tackler, and plays the pass well. Both of these players will be an upgrade over our current starters.

Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt
Height: 6-4. Weight: 230
Projected 40- 4.7 range
Top 1st round.

Zach is the player that most on this forum have discussed already. He is an every down, impact MLB. He has it all, pass rushing ability, can cover, is stout against the run, can get off of blocks. Experts are expecting a team to jump on him in the middle of round one, as he is the best LB prospect in a below average field. With allot of teams needing a field general, he is generating a large amount of interest.

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 244
Projected 40- 4.7 range
1st or 2nd.

Reuben is a MLB, but I personally feel that he would be a great SOLB. He has speed, is fantastic in run support, and has great instincts. His biggest weakness has been his mediocre pass coverage skills. He should easily get into the 250 lb range in the NFL. He has shown the ability to be a sledge hammer at the point of attack, and will meet RB's in the hole with power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1447
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the moderators? We need to sticky this and remove the 2015 draft sticky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1447
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG

Quenton Nelson*, G, Notre Dame
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325.
Projected Round (2017): 1.

Pat Elfein, G/C, Ohio State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 300.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

Dan Feeney, G, Indiana
Height: 6-4. Weight: 310.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

Billy Price*, G, Ohio State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 315.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

Danny Isodora, G, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight 305.
Projected Round: 2-3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cddolphin


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 11612
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My perceived needs in order of urgency:

WLB / MLB (if Kiko slides over)
DE
DT
OG
TE


Depth / competition needed:
CB
WR
OT
_________________
huzzah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2853
Location: The Treasure Coast
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
OG

Quenton Nelson*, G, Notre Dame
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325.
Projected Round (2017): 1.

Pat Elfein, G/C, Ohio State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 300.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

Dan Feeney, G, Indiana
Height: 6-4. Weight: 310.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

Billy Price*, G, Ohio State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 315.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

Danny Isodora, G, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight 305.
Projected Round: 2-3


I like Elflein for our system and I see him as a mid 2nd rounder. His versatility at C and OG could be key for the injury bug our OLine has had the past few years.

I actually like all the names you've listed here, but I need to look at Feeney more. He's played against some good competition albeit on a not so great team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericsvibe


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 1134
Location: East Helena, MT
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update on some of the prospects that should be available when we pick. Right now, we will pick in the lower 20's.

Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA. 6-2 265 lbs.

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama. 6-1 228 lbs.

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. 6-7 310 lbs.

Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana. 6-4 305 lbs.

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin. 6-6 314 lbs.

Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M. 6-6 270 lbs.

Jarrad Davis, OLB, Florida. 6-2 238 lbs.

Charles Harris, DE, Missouri. 6-3 260 lbs.

There are a ton of CB's projected to be available in the first round, but I left them off because I don't think the need is high enough to warrant a 1st round pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1447
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we keep winning, we might have to trade up for some of those guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1447
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ASU K Zane Gonzalez in the 6th.

7 for 9 over 50 yards this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1447
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 2017 Dolphins mock draft:

1) LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
2) G/C Dan Feeney/Pat Elfien, indiana/Ohio St.
3) OT Dan Skipper, Arkansas
4) FS Johnathan Ford, Auburn
5) QB CJ Beathard, Iowa
6) K Zane Gonzalez, Arizona St.
7) DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 12674
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
Early 2017 Dolphins mock draft:

1) LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
2) G/C Dan Feeney/Pat Elfien, indiana/Ohio St.
3) OT Dan Skipper, Arkansas
4) FS Johnathan Ford, Auburn
5) QB CJ Beathard, Iowa
6) K Zane Gonzalez, Arizona St.
7) DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova


Cunningham is the guy I want in the 1st. He would fill a tremendous need and is solid value IMO. Feeney is a good pick in the 2nd as well, as he has some versatility from playing some RT. I don't like his prior concussion history, but it's still a solid pick. I really like Kpassagnon as well, but it looks like we'd have to take him in the 3-4 round area which I'd honestly be ok with. If Beathard can be brought in for only a 5th rounder, I'm certainly on board. Count me in the group that thinks the Fins should be drafting a QB every year.

We don't have a 4th rounder, however, as that was dealt last draft in the trade up for Caroo. While on that topic, has it been confirmed that we are only giving the Vikings our 3rd round comp pick, rather than our 3rd rounder?
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1447
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:
Early 2017 Dolphins mock draft:

1) LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
2) G/C Dan Feeney/Pat Elfien, indiana/Ohio St.
3) OT Dan Skipper, Arkansas
4) FS Johnathan Ford, Auburn
5) QB CJ Beathard, Iowa
6) K Zane Gonzalez, Arizona St.
7) DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova


Cunningham is the guy I want in the 1st. He would fill a tremendous need and is solid value IMO. Feeney is a good pick in the 2nd as well, as he has some versatility from playing some RT. I don't like his prior concussion history, but it's still a solid pick. I really like Kpassagnon as well, but it looks like we'd have to take him in the 3-4 round area which I'd honestly be ok with. If Beathard can be brought in for only a 5th rounder, I love that one as well. We don't have a 4th rounder, however, as that was dealt last draft in the trade up for Caroo. While on that topic, has it been confirmed that we are only giving the Vikings our 3rd round comp pick, rather than our 3rd rounder?


I'm under the impression that we were getting a 3rd for Vernon and a 4th for Miller - and MIN would get both those picks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 12674
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:
Early 2017 Dolphins mock draft:

1) LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
2) G/C Dan Feeney/Pat Elfien, indiana/Ohio St.
3) OT Dan Skipper, Arkansas
4) FS Johnathan Ford, Auburn
5) QB CJ Beathard, Iowa
6) K Zane Gonzalez, Arizona St.
7) DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova


Cunningham is the guy I want in the 1st. He would fill a tremendous need and is solid value IMO. Feeney is a good pick in the 2nd as well, as he has some versatility from playing some RT. I don't like his prior concussion history, but it's still a solid pick. I really like Kpassagnon as well, but it looks like we'd have to take him in the 3-4 round area which I'd honestly be ok with. If Beathard can be brought in for only a 5th rounder, I love that one as well. We don't have a 4th rounder, however, as that was dealt last draft in the trade up for Caroo. While on that topic, has it been confirmed that we are only giving the Vikings our 3rd round comp pick, rather than our 3rd rounder?


I'm under the impression that we were getting a 3rd for Vernon and a 4th for Miller - and MIN would get both those picks.


I remember reading that the 4th we gave up was our 4th rounder, not subject to any compensation picks. But it seems like I recall that the 3rd rounder we gave up was a compensation pick if we got one.

Edit: Here's an article where Spielman kind of aludes to this

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/203103/vikings-trade-third-rounder-to-dolphins-for-three-picks-including-two-in-2017
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 12674
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now that I read it, it could be saying that the Fins are trading their regular 3rd rounder, but that the 4th rounder would be the compensation pick.
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daryl


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 680
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we gotta come out of this draft with a LB CB and a TE after that depth on both lines. Dion Sims is serviceable but he is limited athletically this is a deep draft at TE and CB. I wold go LB first because there is less depth there and honestly its the biggest need we have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1447
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure if we really need that Cadillac TE when you have Parker, Landry, and Stills.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group