Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Prospect-Pro Comparisons 2016-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:
I mentioned last night how Corey Davis reminds me of TO. His acceleration when he cuts up field after the catch is reminiscent to Owens(especially for someone their size) and like TO, I think he's going to be a beast with his YAC.

Also, how about Steve McNair for Watson?

Corey Davis IMO has more Keenan Allen than he does TO. He's not nearly the freak that TO was, who partially made a living because he was 6'3" 230 and ran a sub 4.4 basically into his 30's. Davis doesn't have that kind of athleticism, but he does have that same kind of speed in and out of breaks and quickness.

Owens ran a sub 4.4 into his 30's? Not sure where you heard that, but it is BS.

According to a NY Times article Owens ran a 4.64 forty yard dash at the combine.

Quote:
Owens, like Calico, played at a small college (Tennessee-Chattanooga), and both played basketball. Both produced similar numbers in college (Owens had 19 touchdown catches; Calico had 17), and the knock on both players coming out of college was that they dropped too many passes.

Calico put up better numbers at the combine. Calico ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash, while Owens ran a 4.64 in 1996. Calico's vertical leap is 38 inches; Owens's was 33. Calico is also almost an inch taller than Owens.

If you don't believe me still, then just take it from Terrell Owens. In his autobiography Catch This!: Going Deep with the NFL's Sharpest Weapon he talked about when he ran his fastest 40 time.

Quote:
"Let's go," Dorsey said to the others, putting away his stopwatch. "I've seen enough." I ran a 4.47, the fastest I've ever run.

He claims later in the book that he got down to a 4.45 after he was introduced to a track coach who helped him on getting a quicker start.

That also wasn't at 230 lbs. He was around 215 lbs (same weight Corey Davis was reported at this off-season) then as he says he was within 10 lbs of his eventual playing weight of 225.

Huh, guess I'm wrong on all accounts, I couldn't find much of anything from the combine, other than a thing that said TO hit a 4.40 mid way in his career in front of reporters. I saw Davis listed at 200-205 for the most part, didn't know he was up to 215ish. I think Davis will be good, but I'm not sure TO good.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:
I mentioned last night how Corey Davis reminds me of TO. His acceleration when he cuts up field after the catch is reminiscent to Owens(especially for someone their size) and like TO, I think he's going to be a beast with his YAC.

Corey Davis IMO has more Keenan Allen than he does TO. He's not nearly the freak that TO was, who partially made a living because he was 6'3" 230 and ran a sub 4.4 basically into his 30's. Davis doesn't have that kind of athleticism, but he does have that same kind of speed in and out of breaks and quickness.

Owens ran a sub 4.4 into his 30's? Not sure where you heard that, but it is BS.

According to a NY Times article Owens ran a 4.64 forty yard dash at the combine.

Quote:
Owens, like Calico, played at a small college (Tennessee-Chattanooga), and both played basketball. Both produced similar numbers in college (Owens had 19 touchdown catches; Calico had 17), and the knock on both players coming out of college was that they dropped too many passes.

Calico put up better numbers at the combine. Calico ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash, while Owens ran a 4.64 in 1996. Calico's vertical leap is 38 inches; Owens's was 33. Calico is also almost an inch taller than Owens.

If you don't believe me still, then just take it from Terrell Owens. In his autobiography Catch This!: Going Deep with the NFL's Sharpest Weapon he talked about when he ran his fastest 40 time.

Quote:
"Let's go," Dorsey said to the others, putting away his stopwatch. "I've seen enough." I ran a 4.47, the fastest I've ever run.

He claims later in the book that he got down to a 4.45 after he was introduced to a track coach who helped him on getting a quicker start.

That also wasn't at 230 lbs. He was around 215 lbs (same weight Corey Davis was reported at this off-season) then as he says he was within 10 lbs of his eventual playing weight of 225.

Huh, guess I'm wrong on all accounts, I couldn't find much of anything from the combine, other than a thing that said TO hit a 4.40 mid way in his career in front of reporters. I saw Davis listed at 200-205 for the most part, didn't know he was up to 215ish. I think Davis will be good, but I'm not sure TO good.

It's cool. You're right about it being hard to find info on combine / pro day stuff from back then.

Yeah, he bulked up though. There was an SI article about him that talked about it.

Quote:
A major focus for Davis this off-season has been adding weight to his frame. He was listed at a rather lanky 205 pounds a year ago, and the lack of bulk showed up on occasion, particularly when he was asked to block. According to Fleck, Davis is already up to 215, with a full summer still to go.

And, a player comparison doesn't necessarily mean they think they'll be that good.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured Davis was around 215, watching him recently there was no way he was still around 205 pounds.
Ruins1984

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few comps I feel strongly about. I wouldn't comment if I didn't.

Tyquan Lewis Ohio St. RSJR
One of the best speed to power converters in CFB.
Started as a pure speed guy and couldn't get reps. Learned to convert to power and put some a$$ behind his 6'3" 266 and has gotten to the qb last two seasons.
Comp: Lamarr Woodley
Myles Garrett Texas AnM JR
Every time I see him I am hard core reminded of this tremendous passrusher, except he's a bit bigger.
Comp: John Abraham
Ejuan Price Pitt SR?
6'0" 250 with an awesome burst, and exceptional at getting under OT's hands n pads. He puts on another 10 lbs. and he'll be putting blockers on skates.
Comp: somewhere between Elvis Dumerville and James Harrison. Take it to the bank, dude will be a sack man.
D'Onta Foreman Texas JR
Not much explanation required.
Comp: Michael "the Burner" Turner
Pat Elflein Ohio St. SR.
School is coincidental but I stand by it whole heartedly
Comp: Nick Mangold
Malik Hooker Ohio St. RS SO?
Best Safety instincts in CFB. Still a bit raw.
Comp: Ed Reed...no joke
Jarrad Davis Florida JR?
Kept thinking he reminded me of someone but couldn't put a finger on it but finally nailed it.
Comp: David Harris
Ruben Foster Alabama
Not much to say...
Comp: Navarre Bowman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Turner was three inches shorter and had a much lower center of gravity. I see why you think of him. Just too much of a physical difference for me. I like the Eddie Lacy comparison. It's pretty solid. Lacy didn't put on the weight until he got in the league. His body at Alabama looked similar to Foreman's right now. Foreman had problems being out of shape during the off-season's in high school and his freshman season at Texas.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:

I'm just not seeing it on either. Watson doesn't have McNair's physical attributes. Which isn't a shot at Watson. McNair was a similarly good athlete to Watson despite being much bigger and stronger.

Davis doesn't play with the sort of physicality, violence, and anger that TO played with. Davis can absolutely fly. It makes him a very dangerous player. But in a different sort of way. Davis is a guy who will run by you. TO was a guy who'd run through you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Davis doesn't play with the sort of physicality, violence, and anger that TO played with. Davis can absolutely fly. It makes him a very dangerous player. But in a different sort of way. Davis is a guy who will run by you. TO was a guy who'd run through you.

Davis is such an interesting prospect to me. He jumped off the screen when I was watching Daniel Braverman last year and I couldn't believe how few people were talking about him then. My instant instinct was to compare him to Josh Gordon.

After watching him some more, his ability to run crisp and disciplined routes and immediately turning from a receiver to running back reminded me of TO. Andre Johnson was another player who crossed my mind. Either way, he's keeping good company.

As is true of any player comps, they're more of a quick summary of talent and impact at the next level than anything else.

Some more gems:

RB:
Christian McCaffery - Warrick Dunn

WR:
JuJu Smith-Schuster - Dez Bryant between the 20s
John Ross - Desean Jackson (it's hard not to see it)

DE:
Malik McDowell - Michael Johnson
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decline your comp of McDowell to Michael Johnson. Michael Johnson was a super freak. He was never playing inside...even on passing downs. He was being talked about as a possible standup 34 OLB before the draft. McDowell is not capable of doing the things Johnson was athletically. I like McDowell more than Johnson as prospects, but Johnson was a far superior athlete.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
I decline your comp of McDowell to Michael Johnson. Michael Johnson was a super freak. He was never playing inside...even on passing downs. He was being talked about as a possible standup 34 OLB before the draft. McDowell is not capable of doing the things Johnson was athletically. I like McDowell more than Johnson as prospects, but Johnson was a far superior athlete.

When I do comparisons I'm not comparing prospect to prospect, but prospect to pro player. I'm comparing Malik McDowell to who Michael Johnson is now in terms of impact and ability.

I don't think McDowell will be playing much DT in the NFL, especially on early downs like he does at Michigan State. McDowell is a great athlete at his size and is currently about 10-15 lbs heavier than Michael Johnson was when he was leaving Georgia Tech (they're probably around the same weight now).
Ruins1984

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple I forgot about
Deshone Kizer
Comp: Jason Campbell
Mason Cole Michigan
Comp: a bigger Jason Kelce or Jeff Saturday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Michael Turner was three inches shorter and had a much lower center of gravity. I see why you think of him. Just too much of a physical difference for me. I like the Eddie Lacy comparison. It's pretty solid. Lacy didn't put on the weight until he got in the league. His body at Alabama looked similar to Foreman's right now. Foreman had problems being out of shape during the off-season's in high school and his freshman season at Texas.

Foreman is still fast when he's out of shape. Lacy never had the same kind of speed. It's a bad comparison.

Leader of these Bandwagons: Derrius Guice, Kalen Ballage, Jordan Villamin, Simmie Cobbs, Cam Akers, Elijah Holyfield
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalgsr wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:

Foreman is still fast when he's out of shape. Lacy never had the same kind of speed. It's a bad comparison.

Corey Davis and Allen Robinson don't have the same kind of speed but yet you think that's a good comparison. Think
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the best comaprison for D'onta Foreman is Jamal Lewis
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
I still think the best comaprison for D'onta Foreman is Jamal Lewis

That's not bad either.
norcalgsr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
norcalgsr wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:

Corey Davis and Allen Robinson don't have the same kind of speed but yet you think that's a good comparison. Think

Sorry that you're offended that I use your own logic on you. Foreman reminds you lf Lacy for reasons other then speed, right? Just the way Davis reminds me of Robinson other than.....LOL.

Leader of these Bandwagons: Derrius Guice, Kalen Ballage, Jordan Villamin, Simmie Cobbs, Cam Akers, Elijah Holyfield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: