Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason 2017 if you are the GM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canyon1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Offseason 2017 if you are the GM Reply with quote

The idea of this thread is to create a "realistic" offseason plan for this team. I don't mean just ditch everyone and start from scratch. What would help this team get better realistically. Sign a FA or someone in the draft you feel would be a great addition to this roster. If you cut someone you have to explain why? I am working OT tonight so I will make my plan tonight. It can NOT be unrealistic but make it creative.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make a coaching change right off the bat. It would be a tough choice to decide who to go with.

I like Doug McDermott, but i would want to stay with the 3-4, so i would offer the job to

Hire Josh McDaniels as head coach

Hate it all you want, but we designed our team to be the new england patriots, and we hired a coach who simply can't get it done. McDaniels is a better coach than BOB, and would probably run a similar style which means we dont require a whole new system.

I would hope he would keep Rommeo on to run the D, if not Mike Vrabel should get a chance.

In the draft I am going to go something to this effect:

QB, NT, ILB, Tackle, Saftey.....its hard at this point to say who I would draft, but those are the positions i would look at depending on best player.

I would open QB competition, the Head Coach would make the final choice, but i would let him know that Brocks contract doesnt mean anything as it could be voided after next season. Brock, Savage and a rookie would have open competition.

I would be pretty quiet in free agency. I would lock up Hopkins long term. Resign both our kickers. keep Bouye, Simon, Griffin and Demps if they have reasonable deals.

Our D would be set up really well

DE Watt
NT
DE Clowney
OLB Mercilus
ILB McKinney
ILB
OLB Simon
CB j Joe
CB Kareem
S Hal
S Demps

Cushing is gone and I would bring back Wilfork if he wants to play another year, but finding a replacement long term would be a priority.

The offense is pretty young. We need to draft a tackle of the future that can play both RT and LT right away. We get basically another Rookie in Zack Martin, who might not have an easy time getting the center position away from Mancz.

Bottom Line is that we have such a good roster, but the QB play of Brock and the coaching of BOB has hurt us. We could really be one of those teams where a first year head coach comes in and the team is instantly good.

I think we need to finish 7-9 or worse for BOB to get the ax though

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
canyon1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I am sticking with Bill O'Brien because we haven't even had a losing season yet with him and people want to fire him. I don't see why we want him gone when all he has done since being here is keep us above .500 with the QB's we have had.

Keep Brock for another year in which he should be better because he will have more knowledge of the system and not having to think as much. Under Kubiak everyone can remember that he would call a play and that is what you would run. OB on the other hand has three plays called and depending on what the defense is giving you the QB makes the call at the line. Sets up the blocking assignment and then takes the snap.

This offense is VERY young and rightfully so. It is a better offense overall talent wise. I mean we had Andre Johnson and Arian Foster with Owen Daniels and that WAS IT. No depth anywhere under the Kubiak regime. Lets not talk about the Capers regime because all we had on offense we Andre Johnson and that was it.

SOOOO we keep O'Brien.

We let Romeo decide what he is doing with his life when his contract is up. If he reties we promote Vrabel to DC. If somehow we lose both we get a failed HC that was a good DC. Someone like Pagano and I am not saying we get Pagano I was just using him as an example because he runs a 3-4 defense. Personally I NEVER want to go back to a 4-3.

Only offensive coach I am at all interested in adding to the team in some way shape or form is Doug Marrone because O'Brien wanted him to help the OLINE and I am always OK with trying to fix this line.

Free Agency: WE let Joseph go and watch Wilfork retire and save some money. With the money saved we resign Hopkins to a deal that even though this season hasn't been that good I know but he is our star at WR so pay the man. As in outside FA's we sign from other teams we only sign two and both guys add to the defense.

Brandon Williams NT Baltimore Ravens: Wilfork is gone and there is NO true NT in this draft. So we take one of the better but underrated ones and bring him to a team where he can play with JJ and Clowney and just tell him that all we want him to do is take on double teams and stop the run and let our LB's make plays. I think he would be happy here with this defense. Ravens are going to have tough decision next season with Dumervill and Suggs on what to do with them.

Duron Harmon SS New England Patriots: He is on a team that was already set with Chung and McCourty so his talents are being wasted at the moment. He is not a big hitter but isn't afraid to tackle at all. Plus he knows how to play coverage and make plays on the ball. Demps for some reason has slowed down a lot compared to last season and we need to replace him.

RESIGNING:
John Simon: We need to sign him to about a 3 year deal at a reasonable cost as the number 3 OLB on this team. He is the first to come in when our starters need to take a breather or specific situations ... so about 25-30 snaps a game.

AJ Bouye: He is a good but TAXING corner. If the refs are going to let the boys play he is a VERY GOOD corner. If the refs are touchy he is going to be called for multiple penalties. That's all because of the way he plays. He is NOT worth 8mil a year but he is worth about 4-5 million a year that is incentive based.

DRAFT: Most people will NOT like my draft but with this offseason it all comes together nicely IMO haha

1st: If we end the year about an 8-8 or 9-7 team we will be picking around the 18-24 slot in the next draft. We do not need a flashy draft we need a meat and potato type draft. Also we need a draft that adds a little more depth. last two drafts if I recall both have been about 5-6 players each draft. So yes in round 1 we trade down even if its only a few spots to get another 4th and 5th pick. Sort of like the Lions did the year they went down about 5 spots and drafted Laken Tomlinson.

1. OJ Howard TE Alabama : We all have wanted a TE that would go well with CJ. Well this is our guy to get so we can go two TE sets and still be able to run the ball very effectively and he is a REAL threat in the passing game. Besides CJ when we want to stack the line currently and pound the rock the second TE out there always looks like he is a child amongst men out there and that's usually where penetration starts. Well Howard is a Alabama product so he knows all about run blocking and he does it well. The real reason why we take him is that he a also a very dangerous receiving threat. Having him with CJ, Nuk, Fuller, Strong, Miller all on the team. Our formations we can run would be endless. It would make this team less predictable and a lot of fun to watch. I mean a one TE set with three WR's in Nuk Strong and Fuller all out there with Howard as well. It would look like a pass all day was coming but Nuk can run block, Strong is a good run blocker and Howard we all know can run block. He just expands this playbook and takes it to new heights. This would mean we let Griffin or Anderson go. May the bet man win.

2. Dan Feeney OG Indiana: I know everyone says that the more pressing need is RT but the crop of tackles in this draft is thin and Feeney can help the line in every way possible. He is big and mean and has good technique. He was part of the reason why Indiana has had two VERY good RB's get noticed and get drafted into the NFL. Indiana has not been good at football in a long time but when they are able to run the ball from shotgun and have a lot of success in a power run conference... that tells me that there is something good on the oline that isn't being talked about. Last year it was Jason Spriggs that got drafted by the Packers. This is the other piece of that puzzle. We draft this guy and he helps our running game and protects Brock from the interior stand point with good technique and quickness. Martin will be back and if he is paired with Feeney that could almost have the same affect of having Frederick and Martin combo the Cowboys have. YES I am that high on these two guys by thinking they have the potential to be as good as C,RG combo in Dallas.

3. Dion Dawkins OT Temple: I already know that this man is better than Chris Clark. Clark though is our swing tackle that can cover in a pinch and play decent for one or two games. But Dawkins on the right side of the line I know a lot of people do not like the idea of two rookies on the same side together but its been done many times and hasn't been an issue for most teams. He is to me a jack of all trades and a master of none. He isn't a liability and he has room to get better which is important. He would learn a lot from Brown on how to be a pro and what diets and workouts keep him ready to play.

4. Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado: With letting Joseph go in my plan we are putting a lot of pressure on the rest of our corners to not only play well but stay healthy. This is my sleeper pick that some people like and some people know nothing about this guy. He is not anything flashy but he is a footballer that makes plays. He to me has the potential to be a number 1 corner for a NFL roster. All the skillset is there just needs the right system to succeed. IMO that is a man coverage system that knows how to put pressure on QB's to make them make rushed throws. He could come in and beat out Charles James for the 4th spot right off the bat. Also he isn't afraid to come up and play the run. He is sort of a poor mans Jabrill Peppers if Peppers was left as a corner like Hoke did to him as a freshman. Awuzie is fearless and would instantly add toughness to our team.

4. Darius English OLB South Carolina: Vrabel would be excited to have this man to mold and work with. He is tall and lean but has the speed to add 15-25 pounds to his frame. He has not been talked about much because South Carolina has not been good this year. English on the other hand is playing DE weighing about 220-225 LBS which is very small and still getting TFL's and Sacks. So he has the quickness and fight to get the job done. He would come here and give us a 4th OLB to the team and give us depth so we can rotate our pass rushers and keep them fresh.

5. Hardy Nickerson ILB Illinois: This is someone that would help out this team on special teams and be well used as a back ILB... He has good football IQ and has the size we like to play the middle. He is decent in coverage for a guy of his size. Nobody really noticed him bec he was on a bad Illinois team that had no DT worth mentioning so OLINE had no problem working their way up to the second level and the secondary for Illoinis this year was just bad all the way around. Nickerson can come in here and show us we can let Dent go save some money and see if he can develop.

5. Marlon Mack RB South Florida: Probably the one guy that nobody talks about but has good vision to see the hole and have the burst to hit it hard. He doesn't shake or bake he just gets up field in a hurry. I could see him with Miller,Blue,Ervin,Mack... Keeping fresh young legs is what keeps good running teams successful. Grimes is a decent RB but doesn't offer anything that we can't get from the other three. SO why keep him? why not always be looking for the diamond in the rough. Whoever lands this kid is going to get a good player that belongs in this league. All he has ever done since starting is make plays when his team looked dead in the water at times his first year and continue to produce year in and year out.

6.Austin Rehkow P Idaho: Lechler is the man but I don't see him playing after this season and we could save some money if we get his replacement and this kid has a leg. Enough said

7. Nate Andrews S Florida State: this guy is down here because he tore his pectoral muscle before the season started and honestly probably would have been a 4-5 round selection if he hadn't gotten injured. Ballentine we all need to quit on because he is NEVER healthy. and Drummond,Moore,Pleasant need some competition to see if they really belong on this team or can someone young beat them out. This is a pure competition selection in hopes it lights a fire under someone.

In theory I have helped Brock by adding a big weapon and added pieces to help keep pressure off of him. Miller should be happy because helping the oline just makes him look even better. Improved the run defense with the signing of Brandon Williams and the improvement from year one to year two with Reader. After that I created competition at multiple positions so nobody should feel like their job is safe unless you are a current starter. How improved would this team be with this draft? I feel that our offense would be night and day better and staying the course with our defense is what we need but giving them depth can only make them better.
mse326

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current ideal draft

1. Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt - His athleticism and range is great in this spot and makes him a well above average LB versus the run and most importantly for us the pass. Not the best tackler in the world but has improved.

2. Forrest Lamp, OT, Western Kentucky - Love this guy to be our new RT and can move inside too if need be. Despite being at a small school has played against some top competition like Alabama and still succeeded. He really doesn't have LT athleticism which is the only reason he might last this long but even that is a stretch.

3.. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss - Not quite the traditional TE but he is a massive offensive weapon that can take advantage of the defenses keeping safeties over the top against us.

4. Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA - Not much of a pass rusher but a beast in run defense which we sorely need up the middle. Not the massive NT traditional in a 3-4 but big and strong enough to anchor especially with about half the time spent in nickel defense anyway.

5. Nate Gerry, S, Nebraska - Might not be athletically great and I am, to be fair, a bit nervous that if this pick is made he can be another Shiloh Keo. But what he lacks in athleticism he makes up for in other areas. He is very good instictually, a really good tackler, and a great playmaker. He is big and a hard hitter and I think can be a good partner next to Hal.

I don't like mocking 6th and 7th rounders because they are usually meaningless and complete crap shoots anyway.

#JDI
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this, if Watson falls to past pick 10, im going up and getting him

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the continuity the Texans have created. I like trading up and drafting fewer (hopefully better) players in order to maintain that continuity. The only guys I'd actively think about replacing instead of BPA'ing are Allen, Clark (or Newton obviously), and like Joel Heath and some of the DL depth. I think this could be a solid OL class, and if I were GM I'd take like 2-3 of them. I really want Sweeney, and if we could add a Tackle as well ( maybe via trade up like we've been doing), I feel like we could call the draft a success.

Been messing around on the draft game at first-pick.com.. Just did my favorite scenario so far..

Trade down with Giants for #27 and #27 in round 2.. (we get the #21 pick in this scenario)

Rd1- Dan Feeney G
Rd2- Forrest Lamp G
Rd2- OJ Howard TE
Rd3- Chidobe Awuzie CB
Rd4- Chad Kelly QB
Rd5- Will Holden T
Rd6- Ryan Glasgow DL
Rd7- Jeremy Cutrer CB

Watched a little bit of all of them on youtube. I feel like priorities numbers 1, 2, and 3 should be to get some starters and depth on the OL .When Derek Newton was in there our OL looked exceptional, and he's probably not coming back and the guys currently there are the most "not cutting it" aspect of our team right now. I also get the feeling that Bouye might get a ridiculous offer somewhere, and there seems to be some players available late (in the game) that would fit in well with our secondary. Lil DL competition with Glasgow, and a high upside TE in Howard. Kelly is intriguing in the 4th as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just finished this off-season mock (Total Control Mock Draft).
This is what I did with our team

GM (Poster) Name: jch1911
Team: Houston Texans

Off-season Plan
(1) Competition at QB (Done + acquired 1 of 9 active QBs in NFL to start a Super Bowl)
(2) Replace RT Derek Newton (Done + vet improvement + young prospect on right side of line)
(3) Find coverage ILB (Done; acquired two in Kendricks & Toomer)
(4) Get depth at every position (Done + player in 1st or 2nd year at every position)
(5) Secure AJ Bouye (Done + extended)

Exclusive Rights Free Agent Franchise Tag
0001 - A.J. Bouye - CB
Signed to new contract with $11M APY

Restructured Contracts
1127 - J.J. Watt - 34DE
0783 - Duane Brown - LT

No ERFA or RFA tendered

Summary of all cuts:
0259 - Brandon Weeden - QB
2158 - Tony Bergstrom - C
0692 - Derek Newton - RT
0407 - Chris Clark - RT
0807 - Eddie Pleasant - S
0895 - Gerald Rivers - 34DE
2167 - Tony Washington – ILB
1259 - Josh Walker – RG

Summary of all trades:

Trade #1 (Philadelphia Eagles)
CB Kareem Jackson to PHL for ILB Mychal Kendricks + 3rd Round Pick 74 + Conditional 2018 5th Round Selection (if Jackson plays 60% of Eagles defensive snaps in 2017)

Trade #2 (Chicago Bears)
3rd Round Pick #89 to CHI for S Adrian Amos + T Charles Leno, Jr.

Trade #3 (Seattle Seahawks)

S Andre Hal + WR Jaelen Strong + LB Brian Cushing + RB Alfred Blue + RB / RS Tyler Ervin + OL Kendall Lamm + S Kurtis Drummond + Conditional 2018 1st round pick (becomes a 2nd if Thomas misses 8 or more games in 2017 season) + 2nd Round + 2018 3rd round pick to Seattle Seahawks for FS Earl Thomas + 6th Round - Pick 2

Trade #4 (New England Patriots)
DL Ufomba Kamalu + 4th Round - Pick 25 to New England Patriots for QB Jacoby Brissett

Trade #5 (New York Jets)
5th Round - Pick 40 + 6th Round - Pick 4 + 7th Round - Pick 25 to New York Jets for 5th Round - Pick 18

Trade #6 (Pittsburgh Steelers)
5th Round - Pick 25 to Pittsburgh Steelers for 2018 4th round pick

Summary of all Free Agent signings:
Round 1 Targets (0 of 3): WR Kenny Stills; RT Ricky Wagner; NT Brandon Williams
OLB / DE John Simon [4 years / APY $4.75M ($8M SB) / 2017 cap: $3.1M] reserve bid triggered

Round 2 Targets (3 of 4): FB Kyle Juszczyk
RT Austin Howard [4 years / APY $3M ($4M SB) / 2017 cap: $3M]
NT Stacy McGee [5 years / APY $5.64M ($8M SB) / 2017 cap: $3.2M]
Re-sign TE Ryan Griffin [4 years / APY $1.1M ($1.2M SB) / 2017 cap: $1.06M]

Round 3 Targets (2 of 3): FB Marcel Reese
CB Josh Robinson [3 years / APY $2.2M ($2.1M SB) / 2017 cap: $1.7M]
WR Terrance Williams [6 years / APY $3.27M ($6M SB) / 2017 cap: $2.2M]

Round 4 Targets (1 of 3): T Kelvin Beachum; QB Matt Barkley
TE Jermaine Gresham [4 years / APY $4.375M ($6M SB) / 2017 cap: $3.5M]
P Shane Lechler [1 year / APY $1.5M ($500K SB) / 2017 cap: $1.5M] reserve bid triggered

Round 5 Targets (3 of 4):
QB Jay Cutler [2 years / APY $8.625M ($5M SB) / 2017 cap: $7.5M] bid on
QB Colin Kaepernick [2 years / APY $3.33M ($5M SB) / 2017 cap: $3.26M] bid on
LB Korey Toomer [4 years / APY $5.325M ($6M SB) / 2017 cap: $3.5M]
Lost G Oday Aboushi / reserve bid triggered & outbid by DAL ($1.1M vs. $800K)

Round 6 Targets (4 of 4):
S Colin Jones [2 years / APY $918K ($60K SB) / 2017 cap: $805K] bid on
DE Cornelius Washington [2 years / APY $860K ($60K SB) / 2017 cap: $790K]
OLB / DE Bryan Braman [2 years / APY $898K ($60K SB) / 2017 cap: $790K]
Re-sign RB Jonathan Grimes [2 years / APY $918 ($60K SB) / 2017 cap: $805K]

Round 7 Targets (2 of 3): CB Tharold Simon
WR Justin Hunter [2 years / APY $768K ($0 SB) / 2017 cap: $760K]
WR Marquess Wilson [2 years / APY $888: ($0 SB) / 2017 cap: $775K]

Round 8 Targets: 0

Round 9 Targets: 0

Round 10 Targets (2 of 2):
K Phil Dawson [1 year / APY $1M ($20K SB) / 2017 cap: $1M] bid on
RG Hugh Thornton [1 year / APY $760K) ($0 SB) / 2017 cap: $760K]

Round 11 Targets: 0
Round 12 Targets: 0
Total: 17 of 26 (2 re-signings, 6 contested)

Retained practice squad players
1074 - Jeff Adams - RT
1459 - Laurence Gibson - LT

Summary of all draft picks:
1-25 CB / RS Adoree Jackson, University of Southern California
3-75 (from PHI) T / G Zach Banner, University of Southern California
5-164 (from NYJ) RB Kareem Hunt, Toledo

Conditional 2018 1st (to SEA)
2018 3rd (to SEA)
2018 4th (from PIT)
Conditional 2018 5th (from PHI)

Final Roster:

QB Jay Cutler // Colin Kaepernick // Jacoby Brissett // Brock Osweiler // Tom Savage // David Fales
RB Lamar Miller // Kareem Hunt // Darius Jackson // Senorise Perry
RB (3rd down) Branden Oliver // Jonathan Grimes // Akeem Hunt
FB Jay Prosch
WR (possession / X) DeAndre Hopkins // Marquess Wilson // Keith Mumphrey
WR (deep threat / Z) Will Fuller // Terrance Williams // Wendall Williams
WR (slot) Braxton Miller // Justin Hunter
TE Jermaine Gresham // CJ Fiedorowicz // Ryan Griffin // Stephen Anderson
LT Duane Brown // Laurence Gibson // Josh Wells
LG Xavier Su’a-Filo // Charles Leno // Michael Liedtke
C Greg Mancz // Nick Martin
RG Jeff Allen // Christopher Hubbard // Hugh Thornton
RT Austin Howard // Zach Banner // Jeff Adams // Vinston Painter

LDE J.J. Watt // Kerry Hyder // Cornelius Washington
NT D.J. Reader // Stacy McGee // T.J. Barnes // Arturo Uzdavinis
RDE Joel Heath // Christian Covington // Kristjan Sokoli
LOLB Whitney Mercilus // John Simon
LILB Benadrick McKinney // Max Bullough
RILB Mychal Kendricks // Korey Toomer // Brian Peters
ROLB Jadeveon Clowney // Bryan Braman // Brennan Scarlett
LCB Johnathan Joseph // Adoree Jackson
RCB A.J. Bouye // Josh Robinson
Slot CB Kevin Johnson // Robert Nelson
FS Earl Thomas // Corey Moore // Lonnie Ballentine
SS Adrian Amos // K.J. Dillon // Colin Jones
K Phil Dawson // Ka’imi Fairbairn
P Shane Lechler
LS Jon Weeks

Please highlight changes to your roster with the following color scheme:
Players under contract in 2018 (2018 needs re-sign Nuk; G/C depth; FB; P maybe)
Added via Trade
Added via Free Agency
Retained Free Agents
Added via the Draft

Practice squad (all UDFA)
Players I am high on in bold
4094 - Brady Gustafson – QB
4445 - Jalen Hurd – RB $488
4065 - Austin Carr – WR
4960 - Tyrone Swoopes – TE
4477 - Javarius Leamon – OT
4567 - Josh Tupou – DT
4128 - Calvin Munson – OLB
4104 - Brandon Wilson – CB
4547 - Jordan Sterns - FS
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Patrick Mahomes in a Texans jersey.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust any QB out of that gimmick offense, tbqh
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorns90 wrote:
I don't trust any QB out of that gimmick offense, tbqh

He might take time to develop but unlike Tech QB's of years past he easily has the best tools to work with. If O'Brien is this supposed "QB guru" then he should have no problem developing him. Just start Savage for the season then when the time comes play Mahomes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Williams released. BRING HIM BACK!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
Mario Williams released. BRING HIM BACK!

You are probably being sarcastic but no thanks. Guy just wanted to get paid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring Super Mario back on a vet low end deal. but he doesn't want that he just wants to get paid
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as little as a 3rd pick and a cool $1 million salary this year you all can have QB Tony Romo

Tony Romo on this team prob beats NE and thumps Pitts and would of been Super Bowl 51 1st host team to win

Peace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: