Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Orleans... Sean Payton has a problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: New Orleans... Sean Payton has a problem! Reply with quote

Despite blasting the Rams on Sunday to the tune of 555 total yards, Saints star WR Brandin Cooks vented some frustration with his usage after receiving zero targets in the blowout saying...

"They tell you it's a business so I guess I will have to become a businessman"

It's not hard to read through the lines here... basically what Cooks is saying is that these teams treat football as a business so despite the win Cooks realizes he must put up numbers in order to position himself as best he can when that very important 2nd contract approaches.

For those who may feel this is surprising coming from Cooks haven't kept up with this situation this year... Cooks has voiced his frustrations on multiple occasions with this issue and it's fallen on deaf ears for the most part. Cooks wants to be tested as a WR1 but Payton has instead treated him in a similar fashion as he did Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles before him. Now while this is good for Payton's offense it isn't good for Cooks long term earning power.

Like it or not but this is the way of the world in the NFL and these players want to get paid and you cannot expect blinded loyalty when teams refuse to do it as well. Cooks is a very good player and a ideal fit in this offense but something is brewing and it ain't good... sadly I believe this could turn into another Jimmy Graham vs Sean Payton situation if the Saints and Cooks cannot come together and address this issue soon.

WHODAT

WHODAT91FOREVER
SWATcha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of hard to fathom, really. Brees with 300+ and 4 TDs and Cooks wasn't even targeted ONCE?!

How do you propose they address it though Worm? We've all seen how this offense operates over the last 10 years. Typically, if you're open, you get the ball. Saints receivers have always been kind of a boom or bust bunch with Brees.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
Kind of hard to fathom, really. Brees with 300+ and 4 TDs and Cooks wasn't even targeted ONCE?!

How do you propose they address it though Worm? We've all seen how this offense operates over the last 10 years. Typically, if you're open, you get the ball. Saints receivers have always been kind of a boom or bust bunch with Brees.

While this is true... the other aspect of this offense that is more paramount here is Payton's "DECOY" position. He's utilized Bush and Sproles in this role before and now Cooks has become that guy. This isn't a very glamorous position especially if your ambitions is to establish yourself as a Antonio Brown or Steve Smith type of receiver in this league.

The fact is that Cooks understands what Payton is doing and he's making it clear early on that he won't go through his career as a decoy... honesty the only way to address it is to find another playmaker that can take over this position. This leads me to believe that while many would be besides themselves if the Saints did it, I VERY MUCH feel a prospect like Stanford RB Christian McCaferry is in play for the Saints in round 1 this year. A RB like Christian would give this Saints offense the player they thought they were getting with CJ Spiller and until they find that guy, Cooks will have to carry that mantle and we as Saints fans can only hope he dosent get too disgruntled in the meantime.

WHODAT91FOREVER
MookieMonster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooks needs to hush up and play. Always thought it was stupid when WRs want the ball forced to them.

St. Louis made a conscious effort to shut down Cooks...and they did, at the expense of Michael Thomas running wild! Cooks has hardly been used as a decoy, he's (most likely) on his way to a 2nd straight 1000 yard season and while his receptions are down I think its fair to say that Michael Thomas has just been a dynamite player and "fits the mold" much better as a #1 WR.

Saints would be smart to sit down Cooks and try to fix this, but if he's going to be another me first type of guy, get rid of him!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MookieMonster wrote:
Cooks needs to hush up and play. Always thought it was stupid when WRs want the ball forced to them.

St. Louis made a conscious effort to shut down Cooks...and they did, at the expense of Michael Thomas running wild! Cooks has hardly been used as a decoy, he's (most likely) on his way to a 2nd straight 1000 yard season and while his receptions are down I think its fair to say that Michael Thomas has just been a dynamite player and "fits the mold" much better as a #1 WR.

Saints would be smart to sit down Cooks and try to fix this, but if he's going to be another me first type of guy, get rid of him!

I agree with most of your points except when you state that Cooks has not been utilized as a decoy... he clearly has been and this wasn't just a 1 time thing. This has been building and festering for a couple weeks now and it hit a all time low (in Cooks mind) with a zero target performance in a 49 point blowout.

The issue here like many fans will see it like you do and say "suck it up and take it for the team" however, Cook realizes that's not the stance the Saints will have Coke contract time if his numbers aren't exceptional. This is what he's leading towards about being a businessman. I'm sure Cooks is a fine teammate but he's a young player wrestling with the issue of wanting to be a good teammate but also making sure he watches out for himself because no one else will.

He's in a very unique situation and I believe he's letting it be known now he's not happy in order for it to be addressed before it's to late. Whether we as fans agree with Cooks or not, he has a valid point coming from a players perspective. At the end of the day this IS a business and these guys are out to get paid... they simply don't have the emotional connection that fans do which is what makes it hard for many of us to understand and respect these issues.

I trust Sean Payton does and he'll correct this, I expect Cooks to see multiple targets form here on out because one thing is for certain... the Saints don't blow out the Rams without Cooks. His speed forced the Rams to roll coverage to him and that's what opened up the field for everyone else.

Payton must find a way to keep Cooks happy... gotta throw a dog a bone every now and then.

WHODAT91FOREVER
MookieMonster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree. Just 2 weeks back against Denver he had 98 yards and a TD. Last week he had 8 targets.

The Rams clearly made a BIG effort to shut down the Saints "top weapon" and allow guys like Thomas and Snead to try and beat them 1 on 1...and they did.

I totally see your point with Reggie Bush. He was getting about 8 rushes a game, and a few screen passes while largely running routes to simply be a decoy for the other passing weapons but I disagree about them doing it with Cooks. Brees hits the open man usually, he'll take his shots into double coverage sometimes but he's always been great at spreading the ball around.

Getting 0 targets has to be frustrating for a guy like Cooks, but don't complain after a HUGE win. Let Payton know behind closed doors you don't like being the fact you had 0 targets in a game and let the head coach figure it out. I dislike airing out dirty laundry to the media.

I'm certainly not saying Cooks is a poor team mate or a bad person, I just think he handled this poorly and I believe it was to a specific defensive game plan, not him being used as a decoy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Brees 78% completion percentage ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked backs up my claim that he simply was throwing to open targets instead of the double covered Cooks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've always thought this is a problem with the Saints offense. Brees is at his best when he spreads the ball around(Payton too), but its hard to keep a stacked group of WRs around. They all want to show out and make money, and while you can't blame them, its frustrating when you know you have a superbowl caliber offense here.

This is why I liked Colston so much. Dude was so legit, but you NEVER heard the diva stuff from him, hell, he rarely even spoke. And he could have put up some crazy numbers with a QB forcing him balls.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MookieMonster wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Just 2 weeks back against Denver he had 98 yards and a TD. Last week he had 8 targets.

The Rams clearly made a BIG effort to shut down the Saints "top weapon" and allow guys like Thomas and Snead to try and beat them 1 on 1...and they did.

I totally see your point with Reggie Bush. He was getting about 8 rushes a game, and a few screen passes while largely running routes to simply be a decoy for the other passing weapons but I disagree about them doing it with Cooks. Brees hits the open man usually, he'll take his shots into double coverage sometimes but he's always been great at spreading the ball around.

Getting 0 targets has to be frustrating for a guy like Cooks, but don't complain after a HUGE win. Let Payton know behind closed doors you don't like being the fact you had 0 targets in a game and let the head coach figure it out. I dislike airing out dirty laundry to the media.

I'm certainly not saying Cooks is a poor team mate or a bad person, I just think he handled this poorly and I believe it was to a specific defensive game plan, not him being used as a decoy!

Could not agree more!

WHODAT91FOREVER
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cooks was being a "decoy" with his statement.

I also think it's one of the best ways to cram the sausage right up Greg Williams arse!! "We smoked you without our "top" weapon"

We've seen it several times, when a team has 1 really good receiver who gets all the attention, production goes way down.

Vikings - the "Randy Ratio" with Mike Tice and Randy Moss. Best receiver in the NFL... utter failure with that set up. Everyone knew who to defend.

Lions - Megatron - What a great talent! Now that he's gone, Stafford and crew are blowing it up! Now, I understand Stafford had great numbers with Megatron, but this season is crazy, and they're winning!!

Bengals - AJ Green - they've relied so much on him that he's become neutral. Now he's hurt, so......

Cowboys - Have actually done well in the absence of Dez Bryant. Again, a great talent, but it you're going to Romo it into him constantly, he becomes a liability.

There are plenty more examples.

ZERO targets is absolutely brilliant, and now will have every D Coordinator scratching their heads no knowing which guy to cover.

Cooks, Thomas, Snead, Coleman, Fleaner, Hill, Ingram, Hightower...
6 of these guys are going to be on the field almost every play, and our running backs are producing. That makes every play a one-on-one unless you play a 3-4, and Brees will pick that shiz apart every day of the week.

I Love this move, and the statement from Cooks. Love it!
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think you love it, unless Cooks is seriously upset. If his whining makes us lose a game because Brees forces balls to him I'm gonna be irate. I love that Brees can spread the ball around, but we don't need receivers being petty. Every number 1 receiver has had this type of game, there's no sense in taking it personal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be honest. I am not here for this nonsense. If you are in this offense, you know Brees spreads it around to his open receivers. Cooks has been a featured part of this offense all season. He has had some of the years biggest plays, for both the team and in the NFL. If this is how he is going to act after a zero target day, and if this attitude continues, dangle him and trade him. No time for this mess. I want a rebuild, and I want players who want to be here and win. not whine when they don't get their way.

#BRINGBACKRITA #FIREPAYTON
Fray32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
SWATcha wrote:

While this is true... the other aspect of this offense that is more paramount here is Payton's "DECOY" position. He's utilized Bush and Sproles in this role before and now Cooks has become that guy. This isn't a very glamorous position especially if your ambitions is to establish yourself as a Antonio Brown or Steve Smith type of receiver in this league.

The fact is that Cooks understands what Payton is doing and he's making it clear early on that he won't go through his career as a decoy... honesty the only way to address it is to find another playmaker that can take over this position. This leads me to believe that while many would be besides themselves if the Saints did it, I VERY MUCH feel a prospect like Stanford RB Christian McCaferry is in play for the Saints in round 1 this year. A RB like Christian would give this Saints offense the player they thought they were getting with CJ Spiller and until they find that guy, Cooks will have to carry that mantle and we as Saints fans can only hope he dosent get too disgruntled in the meantime.
When you say decoy, what do you mean exactly? Bush had a weird career trajectory and was injured quite a bit but Sproles was a PPR monster with us. Do you mean only catches passes near the line of scrimmage like Tavon Austin or something? because since his rookie year, Cooks has been used much more like a traditional receiver, and is still 2nd on the team in targets.

I wouldn't read into this too much, statements like this are pretty much par for the course when it comes to NFL personalities. Still surprising to hear this from Cooks but it strikes me as just a knee jerk reaction to being left out last week, not a growing resentment or anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: