Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our defense is interesting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Our defense is interesting Reply with quote

2nd half adjustments:

Our defense. They're actually stepping up BIG in the 2nd half.

I've not been a huge fan of the Payton regime, but I'm starting to like this defense more and more. I'm glad Allen is a Payton man, he'll want him to actually succeed rather than out ego him.

Starting in week 7, we've only allowed 33 total points in the second half. That's fewer than 5 points per game.

In the same time frame, we've allowed 107 points in the first half. That hurts.

These included some tough games, too. Kansas City, Denver, Carolina...

I'm not thrilled with our record, but I am liking the direction of the team, for the most part. If we can get the first half under control, we'll be in really good shape.

Now the wildcard race starts. Hope we finish strong.
Fray32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also noticed our run defense has improved mightily since we retooled the linebackers and got some players back healthy. Really hope this means they're trending up and regardless of what happens this season, not starting back at ground zero next year.
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense is interestingly pathetic. Things may be looking up, but let's not forget how we're still bottom 3 in the league and made Jared Goff look like an MVP in his second start ever.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
bertuzzi wrote:
Good job today kid. 3 TDs in the first half wooo weee

Saints D.

Making rookie QBs look like HoF QBs since 2006.
Very Happy
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
Our defense is interestingly pathetic. Things may be looking up, but let's not forget how we're still bottom 3 in the league and made Jared Goff look like an MVP in his second start ever.
Nope!! Not letting you get away with this one.

Look at what our defense did to Goff in the second half (which is what was addressed in this thread). Goff had what, 7 or so completions in the 2nd half and I don't think ANY passing first downs.

Don't squash what little hope we have for improvement. I've been a big critic, but they are making improvements leaps and bounds over what we've seen in the last 6+ seasons.

If Allen can get the first half figured out, we're a different team immediately with the talent we've got. I'm okay getting more talent, or improving what we've got, but game plan can go a hell of a long ways with what we've got now, this season!
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And might I add, our TEAM turned the Rams into their Bit*hes in the 2nd half. It was all Saints... ALL!!
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
Jlowe22 wrote:

Look at what our defense did to Goff in the second half (which is what was addressed in this thread). Goff had what, 7 or so completions in the 2nd half and I don't think ANY passing first downs.

Don't squash what little hope we have for improvement. I've been a big critic, but they are making improvements leaps and bounds over what we've seen in the last 6+ seasons.

If Allen can get the first half figured out, we're a different team immediately with the talent we've got. I'm okay getting more talent, or improving what we've got, but game plan can go a hell of a long ways with what we've got now, this season!
It's all about adjustments. Something we're not used to seeing with this team.
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Can someone with a football brain tell me/us why adjustments have to wait until halftime? I know at the half you get 15 minutes of very specific instruction, but why not after series 1 say "this isn't working, let's do x instead". I would think you could make 3 serious adjustments in 3-4 series instead of waiting until you've offered 3 touchdowns.

Just a thought, so if anyone knows, chime in.
NS922

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Can someone with a football brain tell me/us why adjustments have to wait until halftime? I know at the half you get 15 minutes of very specific instruction, but why not after series 1 say "this isn't working, let's do x instead". I would think you could make 3 serious adjustments in 3-4 series instead of waiting until you've offered 3 touchdowns.

Thank you, that's what I say. The adjustments are great but first of all, why can't the gameplan be good enough before the game, so we don't give up 3 TDs to a rookie QB? How hard is it to gameplan against the Rams? And more in general, how often do we have to suck before these adjustments can really stick? It's like the adjustments are made, and then all the changes are reversed the next game, and then they're made again. We want them to be more consistent.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
Mid Iowa wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:

Thank you, that's what I say. The adjustments are great but first of all, why can't the gameplan be good enough before the game, so we don't give up 3 TDs to a rookie QB? How hard is it to gameplan against the Rams? And more in general, how often do we have to suck before these adjustments can really stick? It's like the adjustments are made, and then all the changes are reversed the next game, and then they're made again. We want them to be more consistent.

I'd say it's more challenging to gameplan for the Rams with Goff than it was previously. The Saints came into the game with next to no film on Goff. And the little film they had was of his first game where the Rams ran an extremely conservative offense in a rainstorm.

It's not unreasonable for the Saints to not really know what to expect.

domepatrol91 wrote:
Mid Iowa wrote:
Jlowe22 wrote:

I apologize for raining on the parade a bit here, but a big part of the second half success against the Rams had to do with your offense. You took away our ability to run because we were forced to play from way behind (with a defense that couldn't get stops). That, along with the injury to Saffold, let your pass rush pin its ears back and make our OL look quite bad in the second half.

If it were a one-score or tied game for majority of the second half, I think we would have seen similar results. The Rams suck at playing from behind. Not something we're built for.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
Jlowe22 wrote:

I like where our defense is headed, but I still have ZERO faith that they'll make the crucial 4th quarter stop they're gonna have to make if we're ever to become a serious contender again. If they don't hurry it up, they're going to have completely wasted our superbowl caliber offense once Brees starts showing his age.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've gone 6 games without conceeding a 2nd half touchdown. That's the sort of stat I never imagined I'd see associated with the Saints this season

Also, 5 of our 6 losses were against teams in the top 10 this season (combined record 39-16)
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
We've gone 6 games without conceeding a 2nd half touchdown. That's the sort of stat I never imagined I'd see associated with the Saints this season

Also, 5 of our 6 losses were against teams in the top 10 this season (combined record 39-16)

Yea our strength of schedule has been brutal. But a lot of the good teams we played were good defensively, not offensively. The teams we played that are good offensively blew our defense out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

Yea our strength of schedule has been brutal. But a lot of the good teams we played were good defensively, not offensively. The teams we played that are good offensively blew our defense out.
Jlowe, I think the point we are making is the improvements.

Look at the first 6 games of the season (your comment stands true, their offense blows out our D) compared to the last 6 games. - We haven't played stellar offenses, but we haven't had anyone blow us out.

I know this isn't a championship caliber team, especially defense, but they're far better than what we've seen for some time.

I don't know how to pull up defensive stats week by week, but I'd sure like to see our teams statistical improvements. It's got to be pretty dramatic.
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
Jlowe22 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

Jlowe, I think the point we are making is the improvements.

Look at the first 6 games of the season (your comment stands true, their offense blows out our D) compared to the last 6 games. - We haven't played stellar offenses, but we haven't had anyone blow us out.

I know this isn't a championship caliber team, especially defense, but they're far better than what we've seen for some time.

I don't know how to pull up defensive stats week by week, but I'd sure like to see our teams statistical improvements. It's got to be pretty dramatic.

Yea, they're improving, but they've still got a long way to go and not much time to get there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: