Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mke1010

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the signing. I predict he has more left in the tank than Adrian Peterson.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/859517732806688768

Charles is a Bronco.

S/O to BB putting that out there in the draft thread

Renck guessing that it's a 1-year deal in terms of guaranteed $, more incentives based. If that's the case, zero risk. Hard to commit guaranteed $ having missed 24 games last 2 years, and coming off 2nd ACL tear. The track record is really bad for RB's at his age. Still, zero risk if it's a 1-year cheap deal, no harm at all.

I think this means unless he can contribute on ST, barring an electric TC (or injury) DeAndre Henderson might make it to the PS, if we think we can sneak him through waivers. RB is so deep overall, that's actually very possible.

Last edited by Broncofan on Tue May 02, 2017 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHR are saying Charles is getting up to $3.75million for a year - big chunk of the available cap space.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have rather given the money to King Dunlap personally to ensure Ty and Stephenson don't get any PT.

If Charles can securely snag that #2 spot from Booker, its a nice deal. But we cant take him on this roster as a #3 or hand him the #2 based on his name. You need ST play from the #3, and Charles wont give you that.

Most KC fans think he is cooked, and had even less hesitation to bring him back than MIN fans with AP.

Anything he gives us is a bonus as I have zero expectations. Just really wish we gave that money to Dunlap or Jaye Howard.

Also, I had DeAndre Henderson as a surprise breakout to steal the #2 from Booker and now IMO he is poached from our PS if we don't keep him on the active roster. Kid is very talented.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the Hendersons, Charles and McKenzie, they've definitely addressed the "juice" problem pretty effectively. That speed in the middle of the field should be a big help to DT and Sanders/take some pressure off the line.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
Broncofan. So, you are saying that Jamal Charles has to pass a physical?

Yes, he passes a physical first, then the contract comes out.

EDIT: If you're just having a LOL post because I said that 3x...well now it's 4x. The internet needs more sarcasm icons. All good. Cool

LMAO.

I am guessing he got the physical.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
MHR are saying Charles is getting up to $3.75million for a year - big chunk of the available cap space.

Renck says he's seen as a complementary piece. That can't be guaranteed $. Maybe the total with incentives. Dude has missed 24/32 games last 2 years.

I'd wait until we get an official source on the guaranteed $.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of that figure would come from bonuses and incentives for being on the active roster. 900,000 base.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
The vast majority of that figure would come from bonuses and incentives for being on the active roster. 900,000 base.

I think that's the vet minimum. So totally fine with it. Phew. EDIT: Just checked, the vet min for a 7-9 year player is 900k. So that's the lowest possible. Is it guaranteed? If not guaranteed until Week 1, even better.

Source - https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2017/

The other part is that cap-wise given JC's missed 24/32 games it's not likely the NFL is going to ding DEN for more than the 900K (because bonuses are based on the probability of achieving those bonuses - you give a guy a 900K base and 2.85M in bonuses on games played who played every game the year prior, more than likely the NFL will charge 3.75M vs. the cap, and if the guy doesn't hit those #'s, it gets returned to the 2018 cap). So no loss in cap flexibility, only the 900k (and if that's not guaranteed...even better).

If there is little to no guaranteed $ - then classic Elway contract. No risk.

Last edited by Broncofan on Tue May 02, 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been rooting against this kid for ten years so it'll be fun seeing him score a few touchdowns for the good side.

Fify.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coup. No risk and if he has anything left his presence can change the dynamic of our offense.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
What a coup. No risk and if he has anything left his presence can change the dynamic of our offense.

Agree this is classic Elway FA, he kills it here. What makes it great is the lack of risk. If it's not guaranteed, even better.

I think we ought to remember that the likelihood JC is done is pretty high. The track record of 2 ACL's and age 30, man it's rough. My eyes popped when I saw the first report of salary. It would have gone against everything Elway normally does at this stage of FA.

I do hope the vet min isn't even guaranteed - if he's got nothing left when preseason games are on, then we could just say thanks for coming out. And as BF2010 pointed out, our 3rd RB probably has to be ST-capable, like Bibbs was.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
Love it! I look more to total carries than age. Charles has 1,332 carries in his career, as opposed to Peterson's 2,418 or Lynch's 2,144. Low risk, high reward.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many backs did we keep last year?

We've got 5 veterans right now plus our rookie.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess adding three "juice" players in the draft wasn't enough. Would have been nice to get someone, in either the draft or in free agency, to improve the run defense but I guess providing more toys for Mike McCoy's dink-and-dunk, screen-heavy offense takes priority.

I don't know how wild I am about giving close to $4m to a 30 year old back whose torn his ACL twice and missed 75% of the last two season's worth of games, but then again this offseason has never stopped disappointing.

Carry on, John, carry on. Rolling Eyes

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 59 of 60

Jump to: