You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
champ11

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Also, Zach Ker really has a chance to shine here. 330 pound guys who can shoot gaps are like unicorns. His skill set is so intriguing and I remember him flashing a bit in Indy even though he was miscast. That was a really creative pickup by Elway, have no idea why the Colts didn't tender him.

My first thought when they signed both Peko and Zach Kerr was "who the hell is Zach Kerr?"

Then I read about him, looked for some film, and my first thought after that was "it's sad that I'm more excited about the Kerr signing than I am about the Peko signing".

Kerr and Edebale might be our 2 best value FA signings from before (not that Leary or Watson aren't good, but they went at full market prices given Watson's risk). If we get both Howard and Dunlap for 2M or less, that would be 4 potential value signings I see. Would really make a big difference in how Elway's FA grades out (because even if Kerr works out, it's a C- at best - add Howard/Dunlap and both end up starting, that shoots the grade in a big way). Why we have to wait sometimes until after the draft to fully grade.

Seems like the FO has a lot of faith in Kerr based on our draft. Walker seems more of a pass rusher and not what I was really expecting DL wise.

If Elway signs Howard, then I really get the thinking. Walker cannot help in run D at all at his current size. He was dominated in NCAA level play against the run. But he's such a good bet to bulk up, and then I think we see a complete 3-4 DE. Pass rush DE's who can stop the run are gold. I get the reasoning. But yeah, you have to be able to stop the run this year while we wait for Walker to bulk up and get better technique-wise against the run.

As for Kerr, I really think he'll be our best D FA signing. I just can't pencil him in for full DE snaps given our home game in altitude. While he can play DE, he's going to be needed to relieve the elder Peko a fair bit. And frankly, I think we could see him outplay Peko, and then need to stay inside. I have no faith elder Peko is a run D difference maker at all. He wasn't in CIN, and now he's older with more mileage. The NT market inflation just blew Elway out of the water - the top 3 NT in FA (Brandon Williams, Bennie Logan and Jonathan Hankins) got 8M or more - Williams and Hankins got 10M for 2017! When the top-paid 3-4 NT before this year got 5-6M before this year. Shocked

From everything I've seen from Cinci fans on twitter, Peko is totally washed and we shouldn't really expect anything beyond leadership and maybe replacement level player play

team rammy

M-High Marauder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Schefter just said on NFL Live that the Broncos are bringing in Jamal Charles for a physical tomorrow.

Denver Broncos - Detroit Tigers - Michigan Wolverines
champ11

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-High Marauder wrote:
Adam Schefter just said on NFL Live that the Broncos are bringing in Jamal Charles for a physical tomorrow.

If the price is right I love it.

team rammy

BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see how the workout goes, but theoretically a good fit and something I thought could happen.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Also, Zach Ker really has a chance to shine here. 330 pound guys who can shoot gaps are like unicorns. His skill set is so intriguing and I remember him flashing a bit in Indy even though he was miscast. That was a really creative pickup by Elway, have no idea why the Colts didn't tender him.

My first thought when they signed both Peko and Zach Kerr was "who the hell is Zach Kerr?"

Then I read about him, looked for some film, and my first thought after that was "it's sad that I'm more excited about the Kerr signing than I am about the Peko signing".

Kerr and Edebale might be our 2 best value FA signings from before (not that Leary or Watson aren't good, but they went at full market prices given Watson's risk). If we get both Howard and Dunlap for 2M or less, that would be 4 potential value signings I see. Would really make a big difference in how Elway's FA grades out (because even if Kerr works out, it's a C- at best - add Howard/Dunlap and both end up starting, that shoots the grade in a big way). Why we have to wait sometimes until after the draft to fully grade.

Seems like the FO has a lot of faith in Kerr based on our draft. Walker seems more of a pass rusher and not what I was really expecting DL wise.

If Elway signs Howard, then I really get the thinking. Walker cannot help in run D at all at his current size. He was dominated in NCAA level play against the run. But he's such a good bet to bulk up, and then I think we see a complete 3-4 DE. Pass rush DE's who can stop the run are gold. I get the reasoning. But yeah, you have to be able to stop the run this year while we wait for Walker to bulk up and get better technique-wise against the run.

As for Kerr, I really think he'll be our best D FA signing. I just can't pencil him in for full DE snaps given our home game in altitude. While he can play DE, he's going to be needed to relieve the elder Peko a fair bit. And frankly, I think we could see him outplay Peko, and then need to stay inside. I have no faith elder Peko is a run D difference maker at all. He wasn't in CIN, and now he's older with more mileage. The NT market inflation just blew Elway out of the water - the top 3 NT in FA (Brandon Williams, Bennie Logan and Jonathan Hankins) got 8M or more - Williams and Hankins got 10M for 2017! When the top-paid 3-4 NT before this year got 5-6M before this year. Shocked

From everything I've seen from Cinci fans on twitter, Peko is totally washed and we shouldn't really expect anything beyond leadership and maybe replacement level player play
I think the hope is with Kerr in the fold you can limit Peko's snaps as much as possible. He was bad but also probably overused in Cincy late in his career.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that Jamal Charles is visiting Denver. I would sign him to a 2 year deal.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:

I think the hope is with Kerr in the fold you can limit Peko's snaps as much as possible. He was bad but also probably overused in Cincy late in his career.

Yeah, I'm with you there. If Kerr has to work with older Peko in NT, though, you see why signing Howard makes so much sense. Unless we really think Gostis is ready to help, we need someone for 3-4 DE on run downs if Kerr has to play significant NT snaps. I agree with your earlier premise that Kerr could play 3-4 DE. I just don't know that we can afford to put him anywhere but NT, if Peko is a dud, or gets hurt (or some combo of both).

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Saw that Jamal Charles is visiting Denver. I would sign him to a 2 year deal.

Re: Charles, the $ and physical are crucial here. At his age and mileage, there is a really good chance he's nowhere near the JC of old. But if he's at vet min wage, then there's so little risk, why not.

A 2-year deal is fine if his physical checks out (I'm not sure it will, but that's the point, get him checked and see if it's worth it) - but only if there's no guaranteed $ for year 2. Right now, RB's are only signing deals with Year 1 guaranteed (Lynch's contract isn't confirmed yet) - AP only has the signing bonus and year 1, same with Latavius Murray and his 3-year deal, it's all signing bonus and year 1 salary that's guaranteed, nothing else). JC first has to pass the physical, and then a 1-year guaranteed $ deal at low $ would be OK (add another year, as long as it's not guaranteed, great, no added risk). Anything more is really a bad investment, given how easy it is to find RB's (Murray, AP, JC all have to scramble to find work). It's a buyer's market.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan. So, you are saying that Jamal Charles has to pass a physical?
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Broncofan. So, you are saying that Jamal Charles has to pass a physical?

Yes, he passes a physical first, then the contract comes out.

EDIT: If you're just having a LOL post because I said that 3x...well now it's 4x. The internet needs more sarcasm icons. All good. Cool
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaye Howard going to visit CHI, who need DL help, and didn't get it in the draft...since they traded a bunch of picks to move up 1 spot...to get the guy they would in all likelihood had at 1.3 (CLE beat reporter confirmed CLE wasn't in on 1.2 trade talks with SF, and no one in top 10 went QB).

I'd be surprised if the Bears let Howard leave town unsigned. If they do, man, I'd hope Elway has his agent on speed dial. Walker isn't likely to help us in run D this year. That would mean if Kerr has to spend significant NT time, we're banking on Gotsis to contribute on run D (Walker on pass rush), with Crick somewhere in the mix too. Yikes.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrique Jarrett is a UDFA has a great chance to make the team and contribute at NT. That dude is a load. 340+ LBs.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Jaye Howard going to visit CHI, who need DL help, and didn't get it in the draft...since they traded a bunch of picks to move up 1 spot...to get the guy they would in all likelihood had at 1.3 (CLE beat reporter confirmed CLE wasn't in on 1.2 trade talks with SF, and no one in top 10 went QB).

I'd be surprised if the Bears let Howard leave town unsigned. If they do, man, I'd hope Elway has his agent on speed dial. Walker isn't likely to help us in run D this year. That would mean if Kerr has to spend significant NT time, we're banking on Gotsis to contribute on run D (Walker on pass rush), with Crick somewhere in the mix too. Yikes.
It has to be Gotsis stepping up, Crick's not gonna show us anything new.

Too bad about Vance Walker. He's exactly what we need so the fact that he hasn't been signed on the cheap already is pretty telling.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see Jaye Howard as giving us anything that Zach Kerr wont. IMO the starting trio will be:

DE - Zach Kerr / Jared Crick / Adam Gotsis
NT - Domata Peko / Kyle Peko or Tyquin Jarrett / (Zach Kerr)
DE - Derek Wolfe / Demarcus Walker / Adam Gotsis

DE - Jared Crick / Adam Gotsis
UT - Demarcus Walker / Zach Kerr
DE - Derek Wolfe / Adam Gotsis

But more than anything, its got to be a musical chair like rotation outside Wolfe. I could see Derek as the only DL that gets more than 70% of the snaps this season. We have no consistent disruptive, two way player on the DL outside Derek, so we need to win on rotating to win matchups and taking advantage of winded OL with rested DL.

IMO we also are going to be putting our 4 DL on passing downs more. That has to be the case with the drafting of Walker. I think his selection was more of a move towards securing a guy that can be disruptive in sub-packages on the interior than a 'we give up on Gotsis' moment.

We had no player on this roster that could rush the passer from the inside last season. Walker should do that well from day one. Elway giving up on Gotsis after a single season would go against his past. He never cuts bait quickly on drafted players, he will give him 3 seasons and IMO he is still fully part of the long-term plan, for better or worse.

I still have hope that Gotsis can develop. I never had hope for Ball or Ty.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I still don't see Jaye Howard as giving us anything that Zach Kerr wont. IMO the starting trio will be:

DE - Zach Kerr / Jared Crick / Adam Gotsis
DE - Derek Wolfe / Demarcus Walker / Adam Gotsis

DE - Jared Crick / Adam Gotsis
UT - Demarcus Walker / Zach Kerr
DE - Derek Wolfe / Adam Gotsis

But more than anything, its got to be a musical chair like rotation outside Wolfe. I could see Derek as the only DL that gets more than 70% of the snaps this season. We have no consistent disruptive, two way player on the DL outside Derek, so we need to win on rotating to win matchups and taking advantage of winded OL with rested DL.

IMO we also are going to be putting our 4 DL on passing downs more. That has to be the case with the drafting of Walker. I think his selection was more of a move towards securing a guy that can be disruptive in sub-packages on the interior than a 'we give up on Gotsis' moment.

We had no player on this roster that could rush the passer from the inside last season. Walker should do that well from day one. Elway giving up on Gotsis after a single season would go against his past. He never cuts bait quickly on drafted players, he will give him 3 seasons and IMO he is still fully part of the long-term plan, for better or worse.

I still have hope that Gotsis can develop. I never had hope for Ball or Ty.

Anything that gets Kerr more 3-4 DE definitely solves the roster gap. I'm not at all sold on either Peko - younger Kyle still learning. But Jarrett is intriguing, saw his film / scouting reports last night. Could be real hidden gem for our 3-4 NT needs especially long term. Just really hard to count on Year 1 production. But he's one guy with a great shot to make the 53 man roster. Still, if Kerr goes down (or even worse Wolfe), and this all falls like a house of cards. That's the other reason why I think Howard is a guy to target - unless he's really $ the value seemed too good to pass up, especially since cutting Crick saves 1.5M. Who knows Chi could sign him to insane $ and it wouldn't have made sense. We'll see.

Gostis we knew was going to be a project. So I'm with you that's it's way too soon to give up by any means. But by the same reasoning it's tough to count on him this year, at very least early on. If he could actually help by 2H that would be good given where he was at end of last year.

And yeah Walker is likely going to let us rush 4. I love that he's not a need pick. I think that's more likely that he could succeed Elway wasn't thinking need to take him. Give him a year to bulk up which with his frame and age is a great shot I think his run D improves dramatically. Just not this year. But even this year he allows us to rush 4 without having to go NASCAR formation on passing downs (3 EDGEs and Wolfe or even all 4 EDGES when Wolfe was out). Keeps the EDGES fresh.
champ11

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/859517732806688768

Charles is a Bronco.

S/O to BB putting that out there in the draft thread

team rammy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 58 of 61

Jump to: