You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan to the Chiefs on a one-year deal. To the Chiefs... damn it.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Logan to the Chiefs on a one-year deal. To the Chiefs... damn it.

Dammit!

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
Counselor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really failed there Elway. This FA period has been a joke

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

IDK about a 'joke', but it has certainly been underwhelming. Especially for those of us that thought this team could have a repeat of the 2014 offseason.

We are no longer the cream of the crop in this division and were in need of some excellent signings to compete with Oakland and KC talent wise. We have not really done that.

I would argue with anyone that thinks this has been anything more than a 'C' to 'C-' type offseason, especially given our huge caps space and our potentially overstated idea that Elway was/is a master FA recruiter.
champ11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

IDK about a 'joke', but it has certainly been underwhelming. Especially for those of us that thought this team could have a repeat of the 2014 offseason.

We are no longer the cream of the crop in this division and were in need of some excellent signings to compete with Oakland and KC talent wise. We have not really done that.

I would argue with anyone that thinks this has been anything more than a 'C' to 'C-' type offseason, especially given our huge caps space and our potentially overstated idea that Elway was/is a master FA recruiter.

Yeah, I agree. And I'm off the Romo boat with the OL not getting a home run starter at T.

team rammy

BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I agree. And I'm off the Romo boat with the OL not getting a home run starter at T.

Despite the continued stating of Denver being a championship town, perhaps we all should consider the idea that the staff currently looks at the roster more from a long-term perspective than win-now one.

It has been a complete overhaul of the coaching ranks, Joseph has been given a five year contract only surpassed in length by the one Shanahan got in San Francisco. With two young QBs on the roster and the overall unimpressive state of the Broncos' in-house roster talent, Elway's draft classes, Denver is rebuilding for a couple of years down the road more than it is able to compete this or even next season.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
champ11 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

Despite the continued stating of Denver being a championship town, perhaps we all should consider the idea that the staff currently looks at the roster more from a long-term perspective than win-now one.

It has been a complete overhaul of the coaching ranks, Joseph has been given a five year contract only surpassed in length by the one Shanahan got in San Francisco. With two young QBs on the roster and the overall unimpressive state of the Broncos' in-house roster talent, Elway's draft classes, Denver is rebuilding for a couple of years down the road more than it is able to compete this or even next season.

I agree and have been saying that for a while.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I mean, a bad move is a bad move.

Giving Peko 8M w/ 4M guaranteed when Baker got 5M and Logan / Poe / Hankins were still out there, likely willing to do 1-year deals, is a bad move any way you cut it.

Not cutting Stephenson is a bad move any way you cut it.

Only adding one OT when the team needs three is a bad move any way you cut it, although there is still time to add another guy.

Basically, I don't see the offseason moves as particularly 'win-now' or 'rebuild', they seem to fall somewhere in the middle. Some moves are good regardless of what specific outlook you have for the team. Chris Baker at 5M for 3 years is a good move regardless of the direction you think the team is heading. DJ Fluker on a 1 year / 3M prove it is a good move regardless of the direction you think the team is moving.

I just don't think we have made enough changes. If we want to go the rebuild road, we should be throwing deals around for guys like Fluker, Warmack, Joeckel, Poe, Logan, Hankins; guys that are young and may finally hit their potential on 1-year deals then become real building blocks moving forward. I don't see any of those risks.

And if we were win-now, we should have full-court-pressed for Whitworth.

IDK, just seems like the moves don't really indicate a certain direction. We came into the offseason needing to improve at LT, RT, OG, ILB, NT, 3WR, TE and arguably QB. As it stands, I see a clear improvement at OG. A wash, if not downgrade, at NT and a guy that is so injury prone that despite his natural talents, a good team wouldn't rely on him as more than a swing or camp battle level player.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some poster (not sure if Elliott?) had mentioned that Elway values PFF metrics/ranks for college players/prospects, why does he not do this in regards to NFL players??

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expectation is that Denver is top of the list for FAs who want a ring - it's not.

We no longer have Manning to attract FAs and we have a rookie HC with big changes to the offensive scheme. FAs are not going to be attracted until Joseph proves that he is a capable HC (something I suspect we will not see happen).

Elway pulled off a major coup getting Manning - but there isn't a Manning out there and Elway is facing his biggest challenge - transitioning from the Manning era and a SB win under Kubiak to a rookie HC, trying to keep an elite defence together, trying to rebuild an offence and trying not to drop into cap hell.

If Elway can pull it off then he will go down as one of the best GMs ever - but he has to hit with his FAs and hit some pro-bowlers in the draft. He still has a way to go to reach the consistency of the Pats.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
champ11 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

And you've been right.

One of the most telling items on spotrac is future contract allocations. Right now we're on the hook for $138 million for 33 players in 2018. It's worse in 2019 with $125 million for just 20 players. This year its $160 million for 70 players. We're approaching cap hell next year. The only way to avoid that is with a few solid drafts and affordable rookie contracts.

I'm not sure how the "rollover" works but I'd assume Elway wants as much cash available as possible next year.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I want to see the Logan contract. If it's anything south of 5m Elway's 2nd mistake after passing on Whitworth IMO. I don't fault him for missing on Campbell/Baker. Leary G / Watson for RT good deals but going Peko over Logan when both are 1-year deals. Not a fan.

Worse it really helps KC. Ugh.
Counselor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
I think some poster (not sure if Elliott?) had mentioned that Elway values PFF metrics/ranks for college players/prospects, why does he not do this in regards to NFL players??

I'd like to see a quote from Elway saying this

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
champ11 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I guess then why spend the money if you don't have to. Is the free agent market better next year? Could be a thought...
broncofan48

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
champ11 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I guess then why spend the money if you don't have to. Is the free agent market better next year? Could be a thought...

That or as AK mentioned, saving the cap for rollover purposes as we go down the road

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 53 of 61

Jump to: