Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the RB situation will be interesting to watch. Although Booker has talent, he looks slow as molasses. Anderson's big pay day was this year, and going forward he can be let go with less of a cap hit. Anderson is routinely injured, and IMO would make a good #2 but Denver could have an opportunity to hit a homerun at RB. It depends who the HC is. Vance Joseph? Maybe we draft a guy really early. Kyle Shanahan? Maybe we roll with what we have.

I do agree with you Paul- TE is going to be addressed one way or another. Frankly, I think Jake Butt would be an excellent addition to the team. His ACL injury is going to drop him a bit. I think he could be had with one of our 3rd round picks now. Clearly the team likes AJ Derby considering they traded a 5th for him. He wasn't terrible this year- he'll be around. No one else on the team has any receiving merit though. Virgil is strictly being used as a blocker these days. Heuerman sucks.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booker showed some pretty impressive burst at times this year, most notably at San Diego and the last couple games. He was banged up quite a bit this season. He'll be fine. With his receiving ability, he could be a hell of a player in Kyle's offense.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
Booker showed some pretty impressive burst at times this year, most notably at San Diego and the last couple games. He was banged up quite a bit this season. He'll be fine. With his receiving ability, he could be a hell of a player in Kyle's offense.

I do think Booker actually has more long term staying power than Anderson. Anderson is always hurt, he's also got the body type for a RB that wears down quickly, and no guarantee he returns the same from a meniscus injury.

If Denver is in position to take a good RB- and there are MANY in this draft, they shouldn't shy away.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:

I do think Booker actually has more long term staying power than Anderson. Anderson is always hurt, he's also got the body type for a RB that wears down quickly, and no guarantee he returns the same from a meniscus injury.

If Denver is in position to take a good RB- and there are MANY in this draft, they shouldn't shy away.
True, CJ should be gone after 2017 and Bibbs is a borderline NFL player. I wouldn't be opposed to a RB, preferably a homerun hitter type to compliment Booker's grinding style.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Anyone know if the Evan Mathis bridge has been burned? That's a guy I'd just keep signing to one year deals as long as his play doesn't fall off.

He got injured this year, but he was elite for us at LG. He won't cost more than he made this year $4m. The bang for the buck is similar to Vance Walker on the other side of the ball.

This was the last in depth interview with our reporters - https://www.google.ca/amp/www.9news.com/amp/sports/evan-mathis-writes-about-impending-surgery-chip-kelly-how-less-was-more-in-year-with-broncos/51017282

Didn't seem upset at all. I think he doesn't want to play if he keeps getting reinjured, though - he mentioned that he thought the last surgery would do the trick, and that retirement was a year-to-year deal. So it's not clear if he'll retire now.

A 1-year signing like Vance Walker esp. if it's cheaper than 4m would be a reasonable depth move - but then we'd want that elite LT to pair with.

Elway should love his "year to year" outlook on retirement. Mathis's play hasn't dipped, it's just staying healthy that's becoming tough. If he doesn't retire, Elway should bring him in for a year.

It's a cheap stop gap
Provides elite production
Fills a humongous hole
Doesn't tie up our cap space at all long term

These are all things Elway prefers from his free agent signings. The only detriment is age/injuries creeping in. At the price, I think that's a risk very worth taking. Bringing Mathis back wouldn't get in the way of bringing in an elite OT, whether that be Whitworth, or trading for Thomas or Staley.

Elway prefers younger FA's who can grow and potentially break out with the team, but I don't think he should hesitate to bring in Mathis and Whitworth - while drafting their replacements/injury insurance in the first 3 rounds.

That's the approach I would take. We've got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. We can afford to bring in a couple vet free agents to fix the line, still go BPA at positions of need/future need in the first 3 rounds.

Good thought, but scratch Mathis off the list, as he just announced his retirement yesterday. I wish him well in life after football.
champ11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruh, Booker gets hit so hard on every play. Looks for contact rather than using any vision. He's never not going to be banged up if he continues to run like he did this year. Very disappointing to me.

team rammy

broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Denver still needs to play it smart with OL and not throw money around for the hell of it.

RT is a clear position that needs to be upgraded. I don't personally see Stephenson on this team next year. I also think LG will need an upgrade, but I can see Schofield staying at guard for next year and us being mostly okay. I do also wonder if Denver will roll with Russell Okung on a reduced salary. Personally, I'm not sure I would mind that. I would absolutely not bring him back at his current option, but if it were negotiated down I could live with him especially because the OT talent in the draft and FA is largely suspect.

Whitworth makes sense in FA because a 2-year stopgap with a draft pick this or next year to eventually take over creates a nice bridge.

I just get the feeling we are going to look to upgrade areas like ILB, 3WR, OG, and DL depth in FA and use the draft for the rest. There's a lot of ILB talent out there that would compliment our current personnel nicely.

Thanks, Tzimisce
grizmo78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a few more names out there for FA's I would like to pursue.

Johnathan Hankins (NT) - He's huge, 6'2 320lbs, and young, 24 years old. He's my number one defensive target but will depend on price tag. The giants spent some serious cash on other players that Hankins might be let go. He would be the ideal replacement for Sly. I would not be opposed to a 5 year 40 million dollar contract.

Bennie Logan (NT) - I think Poe and Williams are the cream of the crop at NT so Logan might be available at a cheaper price tag. He is a great run stopper and has athleticism to compete as a pass rusher.

William Gholston (DE) - He's still extremely young and has blossomed this past year. Probably will be re-signed by the Bucs but he would be a Malik Jackson type player for us for much cheaper. I'm not sure how much Elway would want to spend at this position though as NT is a bigger hole and costs less.

Ricky Wagner (RT) - Probably the best option for a RT given his age, skills and likely price tag. This would allow Stephenson to be a swing tackle, or compete at Guard where I think he could be much better. He's my number one offensive FA to target.

Zach Brown (ILB) - He is extremely athletic and it appears he finally has put it all together this year. I don't think Elway values the ILB position very highly and believes he can find a good player at a much lower cost. I don't think he'll target ILB in FA or use a high draft pick on the position but in case I'm wrong, Brown is my favorite FA at the position because of his well roundedness in all phases of the game.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a reason for hiring, but Vance Joseph would give us a connection to Andrew Whitworth that we currently lack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Not a reason for hiring, but Vance Joseph would give us a connection to Andrew Whitworth that we currently lack.

So does money and a winning team

Thanks, Tzimisce
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a pure low-risk move, I would have loved Elway to bring Jonathan Cooper in as a potential OG. Dallas beat us to the punch, which really makes you wonder - if a team like DAL sees potential there with Leary set to leave in FA, how did 31 other non-elite OL teams not see this? Plus, it would have had the appeal of taking a NE failure and succeeding (much like how NE might be doing the same with Kilgo next year at NT - Elway doesn't make many roster mistakes, but that one could really hurt, not that Kilgo's a future star, but knowing the scheme, being even league-average at min-wage, that's a loss if that's the outcome for sure).
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean he's been traded and cut it's not like he's flown under the radar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
I mean he's been traded and cut it's not like he's flown under the radar.

Sure but it's a zero cost move. You don't even need to cut anyone, he just comes in to compete - there isn't even an opportunity cost at this stage of the offseason. I'm not going to call it a huge mistake but it is telling when a team like DAL is willing to consider him. Call it more a lost free opportunity.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh Cooper is a bust I think your overstating the move. This isn't even close to the same as signing La'el Collins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
Meh Cooper is a bust I think your overstating the move. This isn't even close to the same as signing La'el Collins.

Of course it's not the same as Collins - that was a massive mistake. This is just a flier. It's just that it's a zero cost move, that's all. Literally no risk and no opportunity cost either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 9 of 60

Jump to: