Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike McCoy
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
G08


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 6471
Location: World Championsville
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Mike McCoy Reply with quote

Is this dude on the hot-seat? I've heard some rumblings that he might be getting fired if you don't close out this season well, but my question is: wasn't he just extended through 2017 this past January?

Why the hell would you give him more money only to say "never mind you're fired" at the end of the year?

I guess I'm wondering what ya'll think are the odds that he is a goner on black Monday. 70%?
_________________
topwop1 wrote:
My point is you can find a franchise guy like [Derek] Carr in every draft

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allows 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike McCoy Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Is this dude on the hot-seat? I've heard some rumblings that he might be getting fired if you don't close out this season well, but my question is: wasn't he just extended through 2017 this past January?

Why the hell would you give him more money only to say "never mind you're fired" at the end of the year?

I guess I'm wondering what ya'll think are the odds that he is a goner on black Monday. 70%?


Is Mike McCoy on the hot seat? I think most would agree YES, but since he is coaching for a franchise ran by the Spanos's, I would say his seat is "warm" but not hot...

He should have been fired after last season-but we "gave him a break" due to all of the injuries we suffered last year. We have been a "snakebitten" franchise with a stunning amount of injuries over the past few years, but at the end of the day McCoy's inept coaching does us no favors. It does suck that we don't have some of out best playmakers (i.e. Keenan Allen, Danny Woodhead, Jason Verrett, etc.), but time and time again McCoy's boneheaded decisions, conservativeness (plays "not to lose" instead of to win) and poor game-management issues are reasons we have and continue to BLOW games in horrible fashion.

Apparently the player's like him, and they have "yet to give up" on the season-but Rivers did "lobby" for Norv/support him (too long) and I think Rivers alone get's our guys fired up/"going" and ready to play. McCoy is a puppet to Spanos, I don't think we will ever see a big persona/ego coach in San Diego (i.e. Harbaugh). Spanos is like a garbage/even [inappropriate/removed] version of Jerry Jones, he wishes he was Jerry.

They had extended him last year to avoid "lame duck status". If he had performed well this year then they could have chalked it up (even potentially retained him longer) as "injuries derailed them last year, it was just a fluke...", but in reality he has finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th and now looking like 4th again in the AFC West.

I wish we could have canned him last year and gone after Hue Jackson, but that obviously didn't happen. My biggest worry is that he will "string together" a few wins (I think we finish 7-9) to save his job in the short-term. Chargers really need some new blood and leadership in the building, John Pagano our DC also needs to go. I think he is gone at the end of the season, but in reality it is probably 50-50.

I think if they do part ways, the Bolts will look at someone with prior head coaching experience (retread) vs. "an up and coming coordinator"/1st time HC (i.e. Kyle Shannahan). I wouldn't mind Tom Coughlin if he wanted to give it another shot, I could live with Jim Schwartz, but I think the Chargers would go right out and hire Marvin Lewis if canned by the Bengals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neutral


Joined: 08 Mar 2013
Posts: 1932
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike McCoy Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
John Pagano our DC also needs to go.


We have the 29th ranked scoring D, only besting the Saints, Browns, and Niners. If you looked at that, you'd think that we were looking to rebuild on defense. But, Telesco has done a good job bringing in talent on that side of the ball. It's simply inexcusable that Pagano keeps getting a free pass, year after year.

McCoy is now 13-27 over the past 40 games while the roster has gotten more talented. It's time for a change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyle21121


Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 10533
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brutal year sitting at 5-9 almost completely checked out. Vs Oakland and Vs KC are games in which pride can come in and raise a compete level but what about @ Cleveland? Just like @ Carolina last week what are they playing for here? If a few things went different and we had better injury luck 9-5 isn't an outlandish thing to say and just being purely the more talented team Cleveland wouldn't stand a chance like they are historically bad and lacking in talent. But now? It's 50/50 of course I could see a blow out but I could also see Cleveland getting its first win of the season.

If it's not already a forgone conclusion that he's out this would clinch it. Even the games we won aside from the Jacksonville game we could have lost any of those games in the fourth I mean in an alternate timeline 9-5 or maybe even better was in play but also 1-13 is in play. This has been more so than usual a tough season. I'm almost glad we are 100% out of it right now I don't know if I could handle the best Cleveland and KC and hope for one million different things to happen to maybe get in again. Even watching that Carolina game and hear the announcer saying the chargers still playing for their playoff lives I was like don't say that to me.

I can't handle another year or McCoy but I couldn't handle another year of Norv and he still coached another three seasons after I said that. You know who I could have handled another year of? Marty. I loved Marty the fired him after going 14-2 and all the other NFL head coach positions were filled including both of our coordinators. What a curse that move turned out to be Marlon McCree still haunts me. It's not healthy to be emotionally invested in this franchise the way I have been.

Kyle Shanahan seems like a good hire but Im really not sure. I want something completely different to go to the other end of the spectrum that may be Marvin Lewis if he's fired and I don't think I want that either. I want to make a splash in some regards and hire a Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Tom Coughlin or Sean Payton if he's available in some way but I don't know if I see any of those happening. I'm sure we will make a very uninspiring hire and I'll talk myself into liking it and by year three be out of it again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCoy needs to go, we have now finished: 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 4th in our own division the past four seasons.

He has lost the past 12/13 AFCWest games, and blown the most fourth quarter leads in recent history. I don't really care about injuries, he doesn't put guys in positions to be successful-and we routinely fold/crumble when it matters the most.

I wish we could land Harbaugh or Gruden-but I don't think either would leave their current "gig". Harbaugh is coaching his alma mater, a perennial top 5 NCAA program, and is paid a BOATLOAD of money to be at Michigan. Factor in that while I personally think he is a better "fit" for the college game (*recruiting) he would still be a top 3 NFL coach should he choose to return to the league. I don't see him as a Spurrier type (successful in college, dud in the NFL), but I think unless he is really ego driven he stays at UM and builds a dynasty. Gruden on the other hand could probably land any job he wants, but he has a cush job with little to no stress.

I think if someone like Urban Meyer went to the NFL he wouldn't do as well as college. Unlike Harbaugh he runs a spread and while has has been successful at every stop he has been at, I don't know how well he would project to the NFL. Harbaugh is an amazing coach and would get results anywhere he went, but IMO is a better in the college scene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
.Buzz


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 3605
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read a report he's gone after the season.

As an OC do you think he's a pretty good coach? I know he wasn't that there, but he seems like a good offensive mind that just isn't cut out to be a HC. If we hire Mike Smith or some defensive minded guy he seems like a good candidate for OC.
_________________

El Ramster on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Just read a report he's gone after the season.

As an OC do you think he's a pretty good coach? I know he wasn't that there, but he seems like a good offensive mind that just isn't cut out to be a HC. If we hire Mike Smith or some defensive minded guy he seems like a good candidate for OC.


I think at the end of the day you will get mixed answers regarding his status as an OC. Do I think he is a better OC than Coach? Yes.

However he isn't some sort of "guru" or mastermind, guys like: Sean Payton, Norv Turner (needs specific personnel to be at his best IMO), Tom Moore, or say someone on the Defensive side like Pete Carol, BB, or even maybe Rex Ryan.

McCoy IMO received a lot of "praise" because of what he was able to do with Orton/Tebow and rode Peyton Manning's coattails for a few seasons in Denver.

Our Offense has been one of the top offenses year in and out it seems, regardless of who is playing (i.e. Danario Alexander, the current cast of Wideouts, etc.) but we always have a problem "punching it in" once we reach the end zone (that is Whiz's problem). Our offense has looked better this year than last year under Reich, and McCoy has never been a "true" OC, like Norv was early in his tenure here or Dirk Koetter as an example now.

I do think a change of scenery would do him well, but I still have my concerns about him being able to put the players in a position to succeed (i.e. "Square Peg, Round Hole" concept).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 34446
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
.Buzz wrote:
Just read a report he's gone after the season.

As an OC do you think he's a pretty good coach? I know he wasn't that there, but he seems like a good offensive mind that just isn't cut out to be a HC. If we hire Mike Smith or some defensive minded guy he seems like a good candidate for OC.


I think at the end of the day you will get mixed answers regarding his status as an OC. Do I think he is a better OC than Coach? Yes.

However he isn't some sort of "guru" or mastermind, guys like: Sean Payton, Norv Turner (needs specific personnel to be at his best IMO), Tom Moore, or say someone on the Defensive side like Pete Carol, BB, or even maybe Rex Ryan.

McCoy IMO received a lot of "praise" because of what he was able to do with Orton/Tebow and rode Peyton Manning's coattails for a few seasons in Denver.

Our Offense has been one of the top offenses year in and out it seems, regardless of who is playing (i.e. Danario Alexander, the current cast of Wideouts, etc.) but we always have a problem "punching it in" once we reach the end zone (that is Whiz's problem). Our offense has looked better this year than last year under Reich, and McCoy has never been a "true" OC, like Norv was early in his tenure here or Dirk Koetter as an example now.

I do think a change of scenery would do him well, but I still have my concerns about him being able to put the players in a position to succeed (i.e. "Square Peg, Round Hole" concept).

I think McCoy is similar to Norv, in that if he goes somewhere where the OL has already been built up, he can be a successful OC. Conservative gameplanners are always going to be dependent on high-level OL's who make it easier for the skill position players to be in a better position to get "those extra yards" that mask how conservative the play-calling will be - also it's typically the HC making the decision of whether to go for it on 4th and short or to kick the FG (so that part would be out of McCoy's hands). Peyton made him look less conservative than he was because Peyton was the de facto OC on that team (McCoy was giving him 4-5 plays at a time and Peyton would choose which one to call at the line based off how he saw the defense lining up).

McCoy isn't going to be the kind of OC that will adjust to a bad OL though - he's just not that innovative, and I've come to honestly question whether he really understands blocking-techniques and schemes terribly well.

Also, on the Pagano front. It should legitimately be left up to whoever the new HC is. One of the greater mistakes this FO has made (and it effectively cost us having Arians as an HC over McCoy) is that ownership has insisted on trying to shoe-horn one of the existing coordinators onto any and all candidates for HC. Pagano's honestly not a bad play-caller in the moment and he's shown to understand a variety of schemes and concepts. If a defensive-minded HC came in and elected to keep him as the X's and O's guy while laying down the overall gameplan and system himself, I'm cool with that. But it needs to be the decision of whoever the new HC, not Dean's, or John-Boy's, or Telesco's.
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyle21121


Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 10533
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Harbaugh won't leave I realize that at least not yet. He would need to beat OSU and win a NC and have a pretty desirable offer with a lot of control in a good enough situation is when I could see him leaving but I guess I could also see him being the UM HC for the next 12-17 years. He is a pipe dream I'm aware.

Jon Gruden I think would be more likely to leave but it would have to be for as much or more than he makes at ESPN which I think is $8m per year. Would he leave? ESPN is cutting costs, he lost Tirico this past year and he always seems itchy for a return so did Cowher but who knows.

I agree with McCoy with being a solid OC. He can call the plays and be conservative I would definitely want a more aggressive style next season but on a team with strong OL play and good enough offensive weapons he should be okay.

I would say Pagono should be gone but if a new HC wanted to retain him while initially I would not be too thrilled I would accept that decision coming from him rather than owner/management. The talent level on our Defense better than what they are producing its up and coming and should be better next year regardless. I was unaware of this BA situation as I think he would have been ideal especially in hindsight.

I just don't want some truly uninspiring hire...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
powderblues


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any top tier coach coming here anyways. After the way they treated Marty, it made a lot of enemies around the league with how many friends Marty has.

That decision to fire him and hire Norv is why we have zero rings right now instead of at least 1. I'd go as far enough as to say we would probably have at least 3 if you keep Marty in charge for 5 years after '06.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 19941
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderblues wrote:
I don't see any top tier coach coming here anyways. After the way they treated Marty, it made a lot of enemies around the league with how many friends Marty has.

That decision to fire him and hire Norv is why we have zero rings right now instead of at least 1. I'd go as far enough as to say we would probably have at least 3 if you keep Marty in charge for 5 years after '06.


Marty lost a ring, and wasn't winning any. When the entire league knows your gameplan, it's a problem. When you refuse to change that gameplae, even though it hasn't worked since the 70's, you're going to lose big games.

Marty could coach a winning regular season team, but he couldn't do it in the playoffs. The philosophy of get a lead, run, punt, would only work when you could jump out to huge leads. That wasn't going to happen against good teams. Every team knew he wasn't going to stop running until they were down. By then the momentum was completely on the other side.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 14692
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
powderblues wrote:
I don't see any top tier coach coming here anyways. After the way they treated Marty, it made a lot of enemies around the league with how many friends Marty has.

That decision to fire him and hire Norv is why we have zero rings right now instead of at least 1. I'd go as far enough as to say we would probably have at least 3 if you keep Marty in charge for 5 years after '06.


Marty lost a ring, and wasn't winning any. When the entire league knows your gameplan, it's a problem. When you refuse to change that gameplae, even though it hasn't worked since the 70's, you're going to lose big games.

Marty could coach a winning regular season team, but he couldn't do it in the playoffs. The philosophy of get a lead, run, punt, would only work when you could jump out to huge leads. That wasn't going to happen against good teams. Every team knew he wasn't going to stop running until they were down. By then the momentum was completely on the other side.


He couldn't win big games and coached too conservative but removing McCree and Byner's fumbles and the Elway drive could have changed the perception that he couldn't win the big game.
_________________
Bonanza23 wrote:
1st off Thomas is a man!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 34446
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
powderblues wrote:
I don't see any top tier coach coming here anyways. After the way they treated Marty, it made a lot of enemies around the league with how many friends Marty has.

That decision to fire him and hire Norv is why we have zero rings right now instead of at least 1. I'd go as far enough as to say we would probably have at least 3 if you keep Marty in charge for 5 years after '06.


Marty lost a ring, and wasn't winning any. When the entire league knows your gameplan, it's a problem. When you refuse to change that gameplae, even though it hasn't worked since the 70's, you're going to lose big games.

Marty could coach a winning regular season team, but he couldn't do it in the playoffs. The philosophy of get a lead, run, punt, would only work when you could jump out to huge leads. That wasn't going to happen against good teams. Every team knew he wasn't going to stop running until they were down. By then the momentum was completely on the other side.


He couldn't win big games and coached too conservative but removing McCree and Byner's fumbles and the Elway drive could have changed the perception that he couldn't win the big game.

Marty also did as much to force his own firing as anything... and whether fans want to accept that fact or not, it's something that's fairly well known around league circles at this point.

Personally, I do believe that no top-tier coach is going to want to come work for the Spanos family because they're made the organization rife with nepotism (you've got one of the owners kids as the talking head on the business side that controls your money and the other kid as the talking head on the personnel side that controls your ability to get the players needed to best do your job). The Spanos family doesn't grasp the idea of letting football people handle the football affairs, if only for the fact that they think that growing up as the children of an NFL owner and going through the league's internship program makes one "a football person."
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zappaz


Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 1645
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope McCoy has to hitchhike his way back from Cleveland... Should have cleaned house last year.

Wouldn't shock me if Spanos extends McCoy again either because that is how stupid this front office is.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyle21121


Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 10533
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's depressing I have not seen anything on him after today. He should have been forced to spend his Christmas in Cleveland.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group