You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Mariota- A discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Marcus Mariota- A discussion Reply with quote

Now, Marcus has been a hot topic. His play has been up and down. His turnovers have been horrible.

But let's step back and look at his play this year.

In his 2nd year:
Quote:
Marcus Mariota is on pace for 3,888 passing yards, which would be best in franchise history outside of Warren Moon's two top run-and-shoot seasons. Mariota also on pace for 30 TDs, 14 picks. Where his passes came down on Sunday in San Diego.

Paul Kuharsky, ESPN Staff Writer

He is currently 10th in the NFL with passing yards.
He is tied for 5th with 17 TDs. Tied with Potential NFL MVP candidate Derek Carr, Phillip Rivers, Andrew Luck, Big Ben, and Jamies Winston.

In his second year, he is leading a team that had 2 wins last year, where they currently have 4 a game past the half way mark. (Granted the losses were largely his fault)

If you would have said before the season that someone was willing to give you Marcus with 3,888 yards TDs 30 TDs, 14 INTs, top 10 in Yards and TDs and no games missed.
Would you have accepted it blindly?

Then the other aspect was who else would you take over Marcus to lead the team for the next 5-10 years. He is only 23.
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers

I think those are the ones you'd take right now but when talking about long run?

Take?
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Derek Carr
Kirk Cousins
Andy Dalton
Dak Prescott
Carson Wentz
Cam Newton
Joe Flacco
Blake Bortles

I think Luck and Carr are the ones who I'd probably take if I'm honest. Everyone else, I dunno.

Bottom Line, I think we have a good one. He is only 2nd year. The moments of greatness have been pretty great. The low points have been low. But I think overall still a good one.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=577633

Go back and look at what most of us expected and then look at his projected season stats. He's on track to meet or surpassed most of our expectations.

Of course he needs to work on his turnovers. That's the most obvious concern at this point. But for every turnover, there's a throw like the Delanie Walker TD pass that makes me as confident as ever that we have our franchise QB.

#MTGA
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:

Go back and look at what most of us expected and then look at his projected season stats. He's on track to meet or surpassed most of our expectations.

Of course he needs to work on his turnovers. That's the most obvious concern at this point. But for every turnover, there's a throw like the Delanie Walker TD pass that makes me as confident as ever that we have our franchise QB.

My thoughts in a nutshell. The game is still very fast for Marcus, but he's having consistent moments/games where he looks like a pro QB - something we didn't have with VY or Locker.

Once the game slows down for him, I think he's going to end up being not only elite, but extremely efficient and smart with the ball.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:

Forgot about that thread. Smile

Looks like a lot of posters are right on pace with his expectations.

Someone on local radio wondered should we draft a QB in this upcoming draft. lol Crazy
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not concerned with the interceptions. They suck obviously but they're going to happen to a guy as inexperienced with him. The fumbles bother me some, but then again most mobile QBs fumble frequently. Maybe not an excuse, but a trend.

Some of his turnovers have also come off of absurd play calls, which I lay some blame on as well.

He's progressing well and makes me excited for his future.

#MTGA
-Hope-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think amid the spectacularly bad turnovers on sunday it's easy to overlook the fact that there were stretches of the game where mariota just flat-out dominated. the rainbow to tajae before the half, the touchdown run, the insane thread-the-needle touchdown to delanie- it's all right there for the guy. if he can cut down the turnovers, he really can be an elite (and i really do mean ELITE) quarterback.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not that he's not looking good... because he really is most of the time. The last few games has seen his accuracy improve... not just on short passes, but on his deeper passes too.

I don't think the game is too fast for him... because most of the time it doesn't look like its too fast for him. But it seems you can count on him to make at least 2 completely boneheaded plays that ends up costing us the win.

It's a consistency thing... not really a recognition thing... IMO. You don't want him to lose his aggressiveness (maybe we can call it his competitive drive), because it's what makes him so good. But it's also what gets him in trouble.

At this point in his career, he's on the right side of the developmental curve. I can't think of any other QB in the "freshman" or "sophomore" years that I'd take over Mariota. And to be honest, I still don't know if I'd take Carr over Mariota going forward. (Call me crazy, but I see him on pace for similar numbers in season #2 as Carr's season #2... and he's doing it without the benefit of throwing it to Cooper and Crabtree.)

I expect him to continue growing into next season... and I expect his consistency to finally improve as the team around him improves... he won't feel forced to try and make something out of every play himself.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at that other thread, I didn't realize I was such a great prognosticator (minus Wright, DGB, and Cobb) Laughing

He's been solid thus far since his 17th game. Those first four games had me wondering if he was going to be the guy, but since then he's really turned things around. Now that we can go with 3 WRs and all of them be capable of making a play, it's really helped Mariota out.

Wright
Matthews
Sharpe

is so much better than

Sharpe
Matthews
Johnson/Douglas
footlunder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariota hasn't really been up and down. The first four games of the season were bad but he's been pretty consistent for the last 5 weeks (thanks reddit titans) -

Marcus Mariota has a 111.8 passer rating the last 5 weeks, 4th-best in the NFL behind Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.

They have 37 plays of 20+ yards, tied for sixth in the NFL. Of those, 31 are pass plays. That puts them on par with the Raiders, the Chargers, the Bengals

Titans have scored a TD on 76.7% of their trips into the red zone (23 of 30). That's the best in the NFL.

Titans are converting 47.9% on 3rd down, the 3rd-best clip in the NFL.

I don't think you realize how good he is. He's getting better week by week in an offense that does not maximize his skill set. Mularkey is running the offense he wants to run, he don't give two shats about Mariota's abilities - he's a power run vertical offense kind of guy and that offense is not ideal for the kid. If the kid excels in this system with this coaching staff, then he's gonna be elite.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have little doubt he's the future for us. Probably less doubt now than a few months ago and certainly less doubt than five weeks ago.

He obviously has things he needs to work on, but given that he was supposed to be the "project QB' from a spread offense that didn't know how to read defenses, he's significantly outplaying Winston and most, if not all, of the other young quarterbacks.

The turnovers concern me. He's made a few decisions that a NFL quarterback simply can't make (thinking of the pick six on Sunday and the pick six against the Vikings), but for the most part I'm not really concerned with him throwing the football. There have been a lot less throws off the back foot these last five games than there were over that first month. Once he learns that there are some risks not worth taking (the third-down throw to Kendall in a one-score game and going for a huge play downfield to Delanie by lobbing it to him rather than taking the guaranteed 10-15 yards by rifling it to him), he can be great.

The biggest worry is obviously the ball security. It was bad last year and it's been worse this year. He needs to learn how to tuck the ball away. He's simply too good and too athletic for us to have to worry every time he takes off.

Overall, it's been a good but not great first nine games. A lot of room to grow, but we've seen a lot of growth just over the course of this season. The flashes of brilliance have far outweighed the concerns for me.

Props to mike23md on the sig
ironlion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fumbles for me. Even back to college he fumbled a lot. It's partly an awareness thing. He needs to keep that ball up and in both hands in the pocket and cover all points on the move. He's bad at both. That's my concern.

It might always be there but Marcus is the kind of player that understands how to improve at all different things. I guess I'm disappointed that he hasn't improved in fumbling yet.

I also have a huge problem with our staff still. I truly think we need a cerebral offensive minded coach with a back round in qbs. I do not think mularkey is capable of actually improving Marcus.

I think what we're seeing is Marcus stuck in neutral with his wheels spinning. He's getting by on pure skill still.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footlunder wrote:
Mariota hasn't really been up and down. The first four games of the season were bad but he's been pretty consistent for the last 5 weeks (thanks reddit titans) -

Marcus Mariota has a 111.8 passer rating the last 5 weeks, 4th-best in the NFL behind Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.

They have 37 plays of 20+ yards, tied for sixth in the NFL. Of those, 31 are pass plays. That puts them on par with the Raiders, the Chargers, the Bengals

Titans have scored a TD on 76.7% of their trips into the red zone (23 of 30). That's the best in the NFL.

Titans are converting 47.9% on 3rd down, the 3rd-best clip in the NFL.

I don't think you realize how good he is. He's getting better week by week in an offense that does not maximize his skill set. Mularkey is running the offense he wants to run, he don't give two shats about Mariota's abilities - he's a power run vertical offense kind of guy and that offense is not ideal for the kid. If the kid excels in this system with this coaching staff, then he's gonna be elite.

I was the biggest Mularkey hater in the world, but for those of you who are still ripping him to shreds, read these stats again, along with the ones KT posted.

I'll also throw in this stat... Over the last 5 weeks we are averaging 31 points per game.

We had one of the worst offenses in the league last year and in his first year as head coach Marcus is playing with the big boys, we have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL despite both starting OGs being out due to injury, and we had a top 3 running game.

If I would have told you coming into the season that I had a HC in mind that could give you that from our offense, anyone on this forum would have taken that in a heartbeart given last years roster plus only one offseason of additions. Cannot believe I'm defending Mularkey. I'm not saying he will keep this up into next season, but Mariota, the OL, and the running backs are all playing really well. Matthews is even coming on strong as of late and looks like a very good #2 option.

Mariota is going to make mistakes. It's looked a lot worse because a lot of his have gone back for TDs, but that is a fluke. The fumbles are an issue, yes, but that generally comes with mobile QBs. I do believe he will improve upon it. His deep balls have improved so much that it's almost unbelievable. I think a lot of his struggles come when he is surprised by pressure, but he is 23 years old. He is the best QB in the NFL under 25.

A lot of these games that Mariota has "cost" us.. we wouldn't even be in without him.

We will be fine.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was the biggest Mularkey hater in the world, but for those of you who are still ripping him to shreds, read these stats again, along with the ones KT posted.
It's just so easy to deflect any success that this team has away from Mularkey while throwing every negative at his feet. I still don't love him, but Mularkey has been so much better than I feared.

Props to mike23md on the sig
D E S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite surprised that anyone would question Mariota as a franchise QB. I have not seen one thing that would make me think he will not be a Pro Bowl caliber QB for the next decade.
To me 90% of his interceptions are throws where he is not seeing the person that intercepts the ball, like the first one Sunday, and the screen pass dump offs, and even the crossing slants where the LB or safety jumps in an picks him off. I know it sounds like I am making the opposite case, but the point is he is throwing most of them because of being fooled, not poor throws. Experiance will help him eliminate the majority those mistakes of being fooled.
The fumbles...painful...but mostly because of timing and the fact that a couple lately have gone for touchdowns, they just feel so devestating. If they just tackle the guy and our D goes out and makes them earn it, the fumbles would not feel so terrible.
I feel like if fumbles are our QB's biggest problem, we are in good shape at that position. If we get him a #1 WR and get our Def to the point that they are capable of stopping a decent QB, our future is bright.
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any doubt Marcus was the guy for the future. But it was pretty clear he was in his head early in the year or trying to do to much. Idk what it was. But he just didn't look right and was doing things he didn't do last year. The past 4 or 5 games tho he's looked more like himself.

And people are saying he lost us games with his mistakes. But honestly I doubt we would've been in those games without him anyways so just gotta take the good with bad with a young QB. And to be real it's sad that one or two mistakes costs us games like it has. Coaches and the WHOLE team lost us those games. Can't just be on Marcus. Or on the coaches. It's on everyone.

Adopt a Titan:
Jurrell Casey
Tajae Sharpe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: