Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Playoff predictions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I don't know if I've ever seen a RB that has the patience and vision that Bell has. Unbelievable.

I know. It's a pleasure to watch. Denver doesn't have the OL or QB talent, but Devontae Booker should take some notes. Patience is Bookers biggest issue. He obviously isn't as talented as Bell, but he has good size and is an average to above athlete, he just has no sense of letting a play develop.

I said it during the season, he takes the carry like he's playing in a '40s style 2 back veer, where the RB lines up 4 yards behind the LOS and the goal is to hit the gap at full speed.

We're likely going to take a RB in Day 3 because the class is so loaded, we can do that (and CJ is done with us after 2017, no doubt). RB is so devalued you can get a starter-level RB in Rds 4-5. This year maybe even later.

Saying all the above, Booker's biggest pluses besides his all-around skill set (dangerous in passing game, as we saw vs. OAK), was his vision and patience. I do believe Booker fell into the trap that NFL rookies get into when they struggle - they just go head down, and try to muscle their way through traffic.

You saw Melvin Gordon in SD and Carlos Hyde in SF do it in 2015, and you saw Todd Gurley in LAD really fall victim this year to this. Booker is nowhere near the level of these guys, so don't mistake me saying he's at their skill level. But it's a classic young RB mistake. It's also almost always associated with bad OL play. If we improve the OL and create even slightly better holes, I'd expect we'll see the patience and vision he had in college return.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I don't know if I've ever seen a RB that has the patience and vision that Bell has. Unbelievable.

Everytime I watch Bell I think of Montee Ball and how he was picked 10 picks after Bell.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
thebestever6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers is the goat in my opinion if Shanny gets him in 05 he's still coaching here and heralded with BB as the greatest coach in modern history.

Rodgers has a gamblers mentality but knows his limitations. He's confident, poised, cocky. He's great how many games has he won in the post season has he won that the team squandered. Imagine him in New England's culture.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
Rodgers is the goat in my opinion if Shanny gets him in 05 he's still coaching here and heralded with BB as the greatest coach in modern history.

Rodgers has a gamblers mentality but knows his limitations. He's confident, poised, cocky. He's great how many games has he won in the post season has he won that the team squandered. Imagine him in New England's culture.

I don't know if I'd consider him the GOAT, but he is a terrific QB.

All of what you said aside, his greatest characteristic is his natural feel for the game. Watch the last throw to Cook today. His eyes never left his WRs. He felt all that pressure off of his instincts. His instincts in the pocket are 2nd to none. Factor in he's a good athlete and has a cannon for an arm and when he is on he is almost impossible to stop.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old Reid - gets a lot out of his guys, really well prepared, great reg. season success - but not bold enough to win the tight game. They really need to move on from Alex Smith - missed Maclin on the deep ball, then not strong enough to drive it in for the 2pt convert (Kelce drop also huge in earlier 4Q).

PIT-NE and GB-ATL should be awesome to watch next week. I'll enjoy anyone but NE winning the SB now.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Falcons, Pats, Pack and Steelers win this weekend. Book it.

Told ya. Very Happy

Pack-Pats in the Super Bowl.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about the playoffs that sucks balls and which has been talked about ad nausem at my bar the last two weeks - we would have beaten the (depleted) Raiders and given the Pats a better showing than the pathetic Texans did this week.

The four AFC teams that played this weekend and the two that will play next weekend are all glad as hell that they're not having to go against our defense.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Falcons, Pats, Pack and Steelers win this weekend. Book it.

Told ya. Very Happy

Pack-Pats in the Super Bowl.

Road teams win this weekend. NE is finally going up against a good offense and a good QB, and they will be exposed. Also, GB will keep the magic carpet ride going.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's no coincidence that there are 4 top 8 qbs left kinda bleakens our outlook moving forward as I'm unsure we have that on the roster.

Thoughts on next weeks games the new England game is intriguing because if Pittsburgh can contain their offense like Houston did while scoring points I think they win. But I doubt Brady has two bad games in a row. Big Ben is gonna have to be great not manage the game which he does most of the time now a days it seems he doesn't ad lIb in the pocket anymore I think he's really banged up New England 27 Pittsburgh 21

Next up Atlanta and Greenbay both have great offenses Greenbay has the better qb Atlanta the better D. I think Rodgers is short handed in weapons this week I think the magic runs out. Atlanta is multi faceted GreenBay needs Aaron Rodgers to be big every week.

Atlanta 31 Packers 21 just think Atlanta has too much for the Packers to handle.

Big Palooka wrote:
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
it's no coincidence that there are 4 top 8 qbs left kinda bleakens our outlook moving forward as I'm unsure we have that on the roster.

Thoughts on next weeks games the new England game is intriguing because if Pittsburgh can contain their offense like Houston did while scoring points I think they win. But I doubt Brady has two bad games in a row. Big Ben is gonna have to be great not manage the game which he does most of the time now a days it seems he doesn't ad lIb in the pocket anymore I think he's really banged up New England 27 Pittsburgh 21

Next up Atlanta and Greenbay both have great offenses Greenbay has the better qb Atlanta the better D. I think Rodgers is short handed in weapons this week I think the magic runs out. Atlanta is multi faceted GreenBay needs Aaron Rodgers to be big every week.

You could also say there are 4 top 10 OL's left in the season.

Look at the other top 10 QB's who aren't in the final 4 - the common theme? Bad D or Bad OL, or both.

The ideal is a top 10 QB paired with a top 10 OL. But failing that, a top, elite D, top 10 OL and top 20 QB has worked before. Hell, we won with a middle of pack to top 20 OL last year, and bottom 10 QB play. We just shouldn't count on that as a repeatable pattern, as 2016 showed us.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:

Look at the other top 10 QB's who aren't in the final 4 - the common theme? Bad D or Bad OL, or both.

The ideal is a top 10 QB paired with a top 10 OL. But failing that, a top, elite D, top 10 OL and top 20 QB has worked before. Hell, we won with a middle of pack to top 20 OL last year, and bottom 10 QB play. We just shouldn't count on that as a repeatable pattern, as 2016 showed us.

I just don't know a game of musical chairs whereally Denver goes from a 27th ranked oline to top 10 oline in one off season.

We need oline help. Help on the defensive line and linebacker. Third wr and RB. How Elway gets all of those holes plugged in one off season is fun to watch.

I think he comes up short on the offensive line he's never hit there. To revamp the unit in one offseason given the cap and even our top 5 100 picks I'd like to see.

Big Palooka wrote:
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:

I just don't know a game of musical chairs whereally Denver goes from a 27th ranked oline to top 10 oline in one off season.

We need oline help. Help on the defensive line and linebacker. Third wr and RB. How Elway gets all of those holes plugged in one off season is fun to watch.

I think he comes up short on the offensive line he's never hit there. To revamp the unit in one offseason given the cap and even our top 5 100 picks I'd like to see.

He's also not had this cap room relative to the field since 2014 offseason, or this early of a 1st round pick since 2010 (now that was a 2 pick, so obv can't compare that). And remember what happened then - we needed pass rush & CB help - boom, we got Talib & Ware. Before people point to say "that was D" - it wasn't our D, it was the top need Elway identified. Elway knows OL (and run D) are our big needs, he'll go hard after difference-makers. You can take that to the bank.

As for 1-year OL turnarounds, they are actually very do-able, witness:

-TEN goes from 20th ranked run unit DVOA in 2015 to 5th in 2016 (and 32nd to 15th passing). Reason? Drafting Jack Conklin in Rd 1 to be their RT, and Ben Jones in FA to be their C. Two major changes from 2015 to 2016.

-PHI went from 30th ranked run DVOA unit in 2015 to 13th in 2016, and from 20th pass in 2015 to 10th pass in 2016. The reason? Jason Peters being healthy instead of missing many games in 2015, and getting Brandon Brooks to shore up their LG spot when Evan Mathis left. Two major changes from 2015 to 2016.

-ATL wasn't as big of a change, but over a 2-year period, getting Andy Levitre, Jake Matthews & Alex Mack - bottom 20 to top 5 OL. There, it took 2 years to get all 3 - but the effect of getting 3 upgrades - massive.

(Reference link - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol)

So, huge 1-year gains are actually possible with only TWO moves. As the saying goes, you are only as strong as your weakest link - plugging those links can have HUGE effects. We have problems, but we have the FA cap $ and draft position with 5 top 100 picks (and 2 in top 50) to make 3 OL upgrades (better than ATL's situation, who had to wait 2 years to get 3 spots upgraded), and don't forget we finally changed coaches, letting Barone go, hiring the MIA assistant OL coach, who did an awesome job with coaching up the MIA OL (first round pick Tunsil was a T, but switched to G out of need and was great, that's all coaching). As AKRNA & germ-x have repeatedly pointed out before, we've been hindered by a lack of resource allocation to OL. Again, this was unavoidable in 2015 offseason because our stars who needed extension and couldn't be replaced were either WR or D guys. But, it's also partly been because of the old belief with Kubiak/Dennison you can coach up anyone to run the WCO. That thinking is gone with the new regime, and gladly so when it comes to OL performance. We now have cheap starting and backup QB's, so that now allows us to spend up in OL to upgrade - and I have no doubt spend up is what Elway will do.

As for our other needs, with CJ and Booker, our 3rd RB can be drafted late - this class is so loaded, you can get a guy who would normally could be a top 3-4 RB in other years in Rd 5+ (10 guys like that I see in the draft). NT & LB are very cheap to get in FA, or again, beyond Rd 3 in drafts. 3-4 DE is the other expensive need (we likely bring back Vance Walker cheaply, great 3rd guy to have) we likely have to spend up on in FA besides OL, but 3 starters (1 3-4 DE besides Vance Walker, 2 OL) is very-doable, thanks to the 50M+ we'll have with Okung released. If we have 2 upgrades in FA on OL, then the 3rd with our 2nd rounder (where big board BPA fits well with need), and boom, we're good. I'd prefer we not go with 1.20 for OL, but that's possible too - all of which to say, our outlook to improve OL, especially with our coaching changes added in, is way more optimistic than this time last year, where bargains and hope for progression with terrible OL coaching was all we had.

So, have a little faith before calling chicken little doom and gloom for 2017 OL improvement prospects. It's not even February. Free agency hasn't even opened, and we haven't had the draft. If we don't upgrade our OL from FA, then sure, start to worry - but Elway's never let us down before when he's had the ammo - last year, he had no ammo, he had to re-sign our key young core guys, and he had to take big chances, and missed on both Stephenson & Okung. This year, he has no limits if he wants 2 upgrades on OL and 1 DL run D upgrade. The other assets needed (NT, LB) aren't expensive. And while the draft is thin at the top for T (which is why we need to go after Whitworth hard, especially with the Joseph-CIN connection), it's deep in the top 50 with 3 interior plug and play starters, and RB is a gold mine later on in Day 3. So get 2 OL from FA, and then at least 1 from one of our top 2 picks, and we've got that upgrade. Let's wait until we actually know our 2017 roster before calling doom and gloom.

And remember - while he failed this past offseason, in 2015 Elway hit big with Evan Mathis as our LG, and Ryan Harris as our LT wasn't nearly as bad for the 2M as people thought - they were a huge reason why we won it all. This year, Elway isn't hamstrung by lack of $ to truly upgrade OL - we've seen what he can do when he has ammo. In Elway we still trust.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to go Falcons all the way on this one. If the Falcons play the Steelers in the Super Bowl, they will torch that defense.
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
I am going to go Falcons all the way on this one. If the Falcons play the Steelers in the Super Bowl, they will torch that defense.

I'd love to see Atlanta torch NE, but Pittsburgh will be just as fun. GB is probably too banged up.

No idea why Kyle is heading to SF...stupid...he's better off riding the Atlanta offense a few more years...best chance for Lombardi IMO.
"I don't think he was happy with the cologne I was wearing. I was wearing a lot of it and I guess he wasn't happy with it. I was on him a lot at the end of the game so everybody doesn't like my smell."
-Von Miller
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

I'd love to see Atlanta torch NE, but Pittsburgh will be just as fun. GB is probably too banged up.

No idea why Kyle is heading to SF...stupid...he's better off riding the Atlanta offense a few more years...best chance for Lombardi IMO.

Hmmm...he will be earning millions of dollars and living in the Bay Area. I'd take that deal in a minute.

Plus, I don't think it takes as much to turn a team around anymore these days. A few good FA signings and a few great draft picks, and you can go from 2-14 to 14-2 the next year.

I know of a team that was 2-14, and went to the playoffs the next year...oh yeah! That was the Broncos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: