You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bye - Who has impressed thus far (pick 1 guy)?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: The Bye - Who has impressed thus far (pick 1 guy)? Reply with quote

Seven games into the season and we are 4-3. The GB and WSH games were winnable games that got away but I expect coming off the bye that with a healthy 53 we will be poised to make a run. The hardest part of our schedule non-conference wise is behind us (taking injury into consideration). Who do you guys think have been our standout players 7 into the season?

First of all, the guy that has impressed me the most this season is OV. In his quiet unassuming way he has had a significant impact on the DLine and the overall defense. I heard during the Rams game that OV came into the game #1 in QB rushes (causing incompletions) while it not reflecting in sacks he has shown to be disruptive and to my surprise he is a boss in the run game. Unfortunately, we don't have alot of depth behind him and JPP and OO has disappointed.

As an aside, I am glad to see McAdoo will review the offense, including personnel (Donnell I am looking at you!) since the running game has been abysmal.

https://insidefootball.com/2016/10/mcadoo-giants-set-take-long-look-fixing-offense/

From my vantage point, it is time to let J Adams play TE more. In limited action I have been impressed with his blocking. Another good nugget in the article is that McAdoo will give Perkins more time. He owns the most explosive play by a running back on the team (screen) and I like his patience in his running style. In the Rams game i was pulling my hair out when he finally got into the game, got a first down on short yardage, then ran 10 yards for another 1st down on the next play and he got pulled out. Like why? That kid can take it on any play. Give me a few series.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been impressed with Landon Collins. I hoped he would take the next step, and it appears he has. He's not ball hawk, but he's an enforcer type at strong safety. Hopefully Thompson comes back healthy after the bye week and allows Collins to roam closer to the line of scrimmage and make plays.

scar988 wrote:
I'm of the belief the best QB in NY right now (July 2017) is Geno Smith.

SMH
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a sexy pick, but let's give some credit to Bobby Hart. I expected him to be a complete turnstile on the right side but it turns out he's been our most reliable Tackle.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
Not a sexy pick, but let's give some credit to Bobby Hart. I expected him to be a complete turnstile on the right side but it turns out he's been our most reliable Tackle.

I agree. He has been a pleasant surprise. If we can only trade for Thomas or Joe Staley to give a couple of years of stability on his blind side. I truly believe that a big part of the entire offense's struggles and in particular in the passing game is Eli simply is not comfortable with his blind side. Give Eli just a tad of time and it's a dangerous offense. Hart has won the RT job. Good call.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I've been impressed with Landon Collins. I hoped he would take the next step, and it appears he has. He's not ball hawk, but he's an enforcer type at strong safety. Hopefully Thompson comes back healthy after the bye week and allows Collins to roam closer to the line of scrimmage and make plays.

Yea, he is night and day from last year. Playing with a lot of confidence. I think he is the leader of the defense even though Cassillas is the captain. Adams actually did ok with DT out. Can't wait for the reinforcements to come back healthy.

Desperado82 wrote:
scrimmage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the obvious picks of Collins or Jenkins, Keenan Robinson has looked refreshingly solid at linebacker this year. He has tackled well and was instrumental in forcing Landon's 2nd pick last game with good coverage by tipping by the ball.
bigbluefan80

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me its 3 guys. Landon has been very obvious as the star of the team especially in the last 2-3 weeks. But for me Olivier Vernon really has won me over as far as the best signing and best player on our team overall at this point.

I wanna say 3 because truly the one guy we never seem to mention is Damon Harrison. This guy has truly made us a much more stout front. Teams really have had a difficult time running on us. To me he's on par with OV as my top star of this season for this team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrimmage wrote:
Aside from the obvious picks of Collins or Jenkins, Keenan Robinson has looked refreshingly solid at linebacker this year. He has tackled well and was instrumental in forcing Landon's 2nd pick last game with good coverage by tipping by the ball.

I was going to say him as well. Said in the beginning of the year that with our beefy DTs, our LBs should be able to roam more freely. The coverage guys are who I want out there and Keenan Robinson has done just that.

This bye week is coming at a great time for us really. We're going to come out of it pretty much healthy and it's needed. OBJ needs time, let Eli Apple fully recover and get Thompson/Berhe back. We should be back to that aggressive style of defense we showed early on and saw a bit of against the Rams.

At risk of sounding like a homer, we really have a chance to make a nice run here. If the offense can fix itself, we are very formidable and there is more than enough talent there to do so. I really think it's a scheme issue. We are running 11 formation 96% of the time. 96%! We have to mix it up a bit. I'd like to see some 2 RB sets, some 2 TE sets. I'm okay with Cruz/Shepard taking some plays off to get defenses to start guessing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrimmage wrote:

Definitely. I hear even some Redskins fans complaining that he is gone and upset that Compton and Smith are on while Robinson is gone. He is a good get, I am glad that we have him. He is a good piece to the D. I wish he was on the field more and Kelvin Sheppard on less. I think that he is the weakest part of the defense when he is on the field. Heck, I hope they give Goodson some time instead of Sheppard.

Desperado82 wrote:

Last edited by GEE MEN on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbluefan80 wrote:
I think for me its 3 guys. Landon has been very obvious as the star of the team especially in the last 2-3 weeks. But for me Olivier Vernon really has won me over as far as the best signing and best player on our team overall at this point.

I wanna say 3 because truly the one guy we never seem to mention is Damon Harrison. This guy has truly made us a much more stout front. Teams really have had a difficult time running on us. To me he's on par with OV as my top star of this season for this team.

Snacks definitely has lived up to the hype and earning his money. My fear is that because the offense has put the defense in a bad position in virtually every game that Snacks has been on the field way to long and he is starting to wear down. Thomas and Bromley haven't given me comfort that they can hold it down with Snacks goes out. For a big man that extra wear and tear takes a toll and we need him fresh for the stretch run.

Desperado82 wrote:
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
scrimmage wrote:

I was going to say him as well. Said in the beginning of the year that with our beefy DTs, our LBs should be able to roam more freely. The coverage guys are who I want out there and Keenan Robinson has done just that.

This bye week is coming at a great time for us really. We're going to come out of it pretty much healthy and it's needed. OBJ needs time, let Eli Apple fully recover and get Thompson/Berhe back. We should be back to that aggressive style of defense we showed early on and saw a bit of against the Rams.

At risk of sounding like a homer, we really have a chance to make a nice run here. If the offense can fix itself, we are very formidable and there is more than enough talent there to do so. I really think it's a scheme issue. We are running 11 formation 96% of the time. 96%! We have to mix it up a bit. I'd like to see some 2 RB sets, some 2 TE sets. I'm okay with Cruz/Shepard taking some plays off to get defenses to start guessing.

I agree with you. I envision 12 personnel with only OBJ and Roger Lewis getting some time together. Both are the most explosive WRs who can take the top off of the defense on any given play and putting Eli under center with play action will open up these two to mix things up. Adding Perkins to play more will help also but unless the OLINE (Flowers) and TEs (hopefully Adams) plays better to give Eli time it won't matter. That's part of the reason why they are constantly in 11 personnel and in shotgun. Eli simply doesn't trust his protection. Maybe Beatty comes out as starter and surprises us.

Desperado82 wrote:
bagh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier Vernon.

I was actually iffy on the signing, but anytime there is a big defensive play, this guy seems to be in the middle of it.

He hasn't put up the stats but seems like a definite difference makers.

GEE MEN, I know you said only one, but I got Darian Thomson as my dark horse for the second half. The Secondary looks totally different with him gone.

I keep comparing all of our games to the Dallas and NO games and it seems he changed how we schedmed on D.
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of following the rules I will say Landon Collins. To me he is not only a Giants Defensive MVP candidate, but an NFL one as well. And they didn't even have to buy this one. Collins has had an amazing start to his sophomore year. He has been all over the field, both up close to the L.O.S. and in coverage, making plays. He is lacking in only one department it seems to get him into this discussion of DPOY, and that is his ability to play the ball in the air. Collins has left it seems like as many as half a dozen INTís out there on the field. You can see it in the replays when the ball is in the air Collins is hunting for someone to hit. Itís often time caused deflections or bad throws to go by his head that he could have caught. On the first big pass play by Flacco and the Ravens in that game Collins was in good position when the ball was lofted into the air. Instead of trying to make a play on the ball he put his head down and barreled towards the receiver, mistimes his hit and the WR came down with a huge gain. He turns his head for the ball its and easy PD, and most likely an INT going the other way. After the Rams game he was tied for 13th in the league (Alec Ogletree and Bobby Wagner) in tackles with 57 (49 of which were solo [2nd in the league]), 2 sacks (tied for 62nd as a safety), 2 INTS (tied for 7th), 7 PDís (Tied for 24th) and is 1 of 13 defensive players to score a TD this year. He has slipped down the list on all categories after the bye week, but if he comes close to duplicating these numbers to close out the season; I think he should be in the discussion. He gets better at playing the ball in the air and he will be an INT machine. Around the ball a lot. Heís had a major impact on this team.

But right now I think you can take many players on the defense side and put his name here. We could be 7-0, should be 6-1, and are 4-3 thanks to our defense. DRC has been good when on the field, Jackrabbit was worth the money and is a lock down CB, Vernon too (forget sacks, if you watch the game you see his presence on defense [both run and pass]), Snacks is worth the money and next to Hankins makes one fierce DT duo tough to run against. JPP looks like he is back, Casillas has been a beast, Robinson has been a stellar addition, and even the UDFA Andrew Adams has been a plus on defense. Eli Apple and Darian Thompson have had impacts in the limited time due to injury. Berhe was crushing people when he played. Once healthy we have 4 safeties who can play. Last year we had a rookie Collins... The only concerning part is health of the secondary, lots of injuries there. OO has been a disappointment, but Okwara has been a pleasant surprise. Kennard has made plays, but isn't playing nearly as much as I thought he would. This is no longer an offense dominant team, the defense is better. If Eli and Co can get on track, they are as dangerous a team as any.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IbleedBLUE24 wrote:
For the sake of following the rules I will say Landon Collins. To me he is not only a Giants Defensive MVP candidate, but an NFL one as well. And they didn't even have to buy this one. Collins has had an amazing start to his sophomore year. He has been all over the field, both up close to the L.O.S. and in coverage, making plays. He is lacking in only one department it seems to get him into this discussion of DPOY, and that is his ability to play the ball in the air. Collins has left it seems like as many as half a dozen INTís out there on the field. You can see it in the replays when the ball is in the air Collins is hunting for someone to hit. Itís often time caused deflections or bad throws to go by his head that he could have caught. On the first big pass play by Flacco and the Ravens in that game Collins was in good position when the ball was lofted into the air. Instead of trying to make a play on the ball he put his head down and barreled towards the receiver, mistimes his hit and the WR came down with a huge gain. He turns his head for the ball its and easy PD, and most likely an INT going the other way. After the Rams game he was tied for 13th in the league (Alec Ogletree and Bobby Wagner) in tackles with 57 (49 of which were solo [2nd in the league]), 2 sacks (tied for 62nd as a safety), 2 INTS (tied for 7th), 7 PDís (Tied for 24th) and is 1 of 13 defensive players to score a TD this year. He has slipped down the list on all categories after the bye week, but if he comes close to duplicating these numbers to close out the season; I think he should be in the discussion. He gets better at playing the ball in the air and he will be an INT machine. Around the ball a lot. Heís had a major impact on this team.

But right now I think you can take many players on the defense side and put his name here. We could be 7-0, should be 6-1, and are 4-3 thanks to our defense. DRC has been good when on the field, Jackrabbit was worth the money and is a lock down CB, Vernon too (forget sacks, if you watch the game you see his presence on defense [both run and pass]), Snacks is worth the money and next to Hankins makes one fierce DT duo tough to run against. JPP looks like he is back, Casillas has been a beast, Robinson has been a stellar addition, and even the UDFA Andrew Adams has been a plus on defense. Eli Apple and Darian Thompson have had impacts in the limited time due to injury. Berhe was crushing people when he played. Once healthy we have 4 safeties who can play. Last year we had a rookie Collins... The only concerning part is health of the secondary, lots of injuries there. OO has been a disappointment, but Okwara has been a pleasant surprise. Kennard has made plays, but isn't playing nearly as much as I thought he would. This is no longer an offense dominant team, the defense is better. If Eli and Co can get on track, they are as dangerous a team as any.

That's a great write-up and observation on Collins. Probably the biggest surprise for me is his ability to be an effective blitzed. When he comes, he either gets home or causes an incomplete. Of everyone in the secondary, it seems to come natural to him. For all the speed of DRC and JackRabbit, they get there and whiff but Collins times it perfectly and doesn't get lost over-pursuing. Maybe it's experience in the system or having lost alot of the baby fat he had last year but this kid is playing his carcass off and I can't wait to see a healthy DT teamed up with him on the backend.

Desperado82 wrote:
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Blitzer indeed. He's a mismatch for most running backs. I expect Spags to bring him more when DT comes back. I hope they don't relegate Andrew Adams to a ST player. He has played well enough that we can run 3 safety sets. When healthy we have a decent amount of talent in the defensive secondary.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: