Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Happened to Preston Smith?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Well, well, well Preston. Maybe not as terrible of a year as everyone thinks he had.

Quote:
9) Washington Redskins (2.83 average distance to quarterback)

The Washington defense was worked over on the ground this year, but their secondary and front seven are littered with talented players. Second-year edge defender Preston Smith is their best pass-rusher, ranking 16th in the NFL with 4.03 yards of distance to the quarterback at the time of throw or sack. Smith racked up 13 sacks over his first two seasons. Ryan Kerrigan led the team this year with 11 sacks. Both he and Trent Murphy finished above the NFL average in the Next Gen Stats individual pressure metric for edge players with 100-plus rush attempts. The biggest surprise for Washington had to be the play of defensive end Chris Baker, who ranked 16th among interior pass rushers with 4.29 average yards of distance to the quarterback. Baker heads into free agency this year after a strong season and will comm and attention if his current team cannot re-sign him.
Yep, as I said earlier in the thread he was leading us in qb hurries at one time which actually sometimes can help others get sacks because Smiths hurry rushed the qb away from his side and towards Kerrigan/Murphy. Murphy took Smiths stats from last year, but that's not to say that smith was horrible. He got as much or more pressure than Kerrigan over the course of the season and did I vs good to great LTs all year except for Flowers whose avg at best.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Well, well, well Preston. Maybe not as terrible of a year as everyone thinks he had.

Quote:

The Washington defense was worked over on the ground this year, but their secondary and front seven are littered with talented players. Second-year edge defender Preston Smith is their best pass-rusher, ranking 16th in the NFL with 4.03 yards of distance to the quarterback at the time of throw or sack. Smith racked up 13 sacks over his first two seasons. Ryan Kerrigan led the team this year with 11 sacks. Both he and Trent Murphy finished above the NFL average in the Next Gen Stats individual pressure metric for edge players with 100-plus rush attempts. The biggest surprise for Washington had to be the play of defensive end Chris Baker, who ranked 16th among interior pass rushers with 4.29 average yards of distance to the quarterback. Baker heads into free agency this year after a strong season and will comm and attention if his current team cannot re-sign him.
Yep, as I said earlier in bud thread he was leading us in qb hurries at one time which actually sometimes can help others get sacks because Smiths hurry rushed the qb away from his side and towards Kerrigan/Murphy. Murphy took Smiths stats from last year, but that's not to say that smith was horrible. He got as much or more pressure than Kerrigan over the course of the season and did I vs good to great LTs all year except for Flowers whose avg at best.

And he did it without using PEDs!

Doc Draper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

The Washington defense was worked over on the ground this year, but their secondary and front seven are littered with talented players. Second-year edge defender Preston Smith is their best pass-rusher, ranking 16th in the NFL with 4.03 yards of distance to the quarterback at the time of throw or sack. Smith racked up 13 sacks over his first two seasons. Ryan Kerrigan led the team this year with 11 sacks. Both he and Trent Murphy finished above the NFL average in the Next Gen Stats individual pressure metric for edge players with 100-plus rush attempts. The biggest surprise for Washington had to be the play of defensive end Chris Baker, who ranked 16th among interior pass rushers with 4.29 average yards of distance to the quarterback. Baker heads into free agency this year after a strong season and will command attention if his current team cannot re-sign him.

Great Data. Thx! I hammered Nancy quite a bit because 1. He was soft and horrible in run defense and 2. Seemed to get easily blocked by tight ends or even running backs. There was a play in the eagles game where the wide receiver pancaked him on a running play. Any stats on his run defense?

Big year to see if Nancy can successfully transition back to Preston. Love his skill set but gotta toughen up and consistently drive it home. I think he makes a big positive jump with his first competent NFL DL coach working him as a 4/3 end
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

The Washington defense was worked over on the ground this year, but their secondary and front seven are littered with talented players. Second-year edge defender Preston Smith is their best pass-rusher, ranking 16th in the NFL with 4.03 yards of distance to the quarterback at the time of throw or sack. Smith racked up 13 sacks over his first two seasons. Ryan Kerrigan led the team this year with 11 sacks. Both he and Trent Murphy finished above the NFL average in the Next Gen Stats individual pressure metric for edge players with 100-plus rush attempts. The biggest surprise for Washington had to be the play of defensive end Chris Baker, who ranked 16th among interior pass rushers with 4.29 average yards of distance to the quarterback. Baker heads into free agency this year after a strong season and will command attention if his current team cannot re-sign him.
I cringe reading that about Baker.

But he took off plays and will be replaced by the eminently more qualified McGee and McClain!! Rolling Eyes
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

Yep, as I said earlier in bud thread he was leading us in qb hurries at one time which actually sometimes can help others get sacks because Smiths hurry rushed the qb away from his side and towards Kerrigan/Murphy. Murphy took Smiths stats from last year, but that's not to say that smith was horrible. He got as much or more pressure than Kerrigan over the course of the season and did I vs good to great LTs all year except for Flowers whose avg at best.

The whole league is on PEDS and painkillers to play each week. I don't care that about it either, the player still has to outperform the others. Murphy just stupidly got caught like Trent did with weed.

I still think it was probably a supplement like amino acids or whatever from gnc or testosterone booster. I don't think he was really shooting up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

I cringe reading that about Baker.

But he took off plays and will be replaced by the eminently more qualified McGee and McClain!! Rolling Eyes
Qualifications mean little. When we gave a 26 year old Baker his contract extension most overreacted then too.

The talent between the 3 is about equal. It's the effort and consistent motor that's better w/ McClain and McGee.

Our interior OL couldn't block McClain, he stuffed Matt jones and Kelly in the middle in both Dallas games.

lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

The whole league is on PEDS and painkillers to play each week. I don't care that about it either, the player still has to outperform the others. Murphy just stupidly got caught like Trent did with weed.

I still think it was probably a supplement like amino acids or whatever from gnc or testosterone booster. I don't think he was really shooting up.

Dude, he put on weight and got faster lol. We all know what he was doing. I said it last year. He's just an idiot and got caught.
Woz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Qualifications mean little. When we gave a 26 year old Baker his contract extension most overreacted then too.

Who? Who overreacted when we gave Baker a 3 year/$9M contract? Show me this person.

Going for revisionist history doesn't help your argument.

Quote:
The talent between the 3 is about equal. It's the effort and consistent motor that's better w/ McClain and McGee.

The talent is about equal ... wow. Okay then. Right.

When a NFC coach is comparing Baker favorably to Hankins and Logan, maybe you want to double check your scouting.

Quote:
Our interior OL couldn't block McClain, he stuffed Matt jones and Kelly in the middle in both Dallas games.

1. They run a 4-3.
2. He did it for a single season.

We just paid him $21M over four years for a single season's work. That's just a brilliant way to operate.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

Dude, he put on weight and got faster lol. We all know what he was doing. I said it last year. He's just an idiot and got caught.
Ok dr Lavar have you seen his test results and what he actually got knocked for?

He was eating 8!full meals a day and taking protein shakes like crazy of course he's going to put on 20 pounds.

Anthony Lanier and RJF put on 15 to 20 pounds as did Kedric Golston last offseason too.

Let's not forget that Lane Johnson got freakin 10 games for amino acids which is just beyond my comprehension that's a joke!

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Who? Who overreacted when we gave Baker a 3 year/$9M contract? Show me this person.

Going for revisionist history doesn't help your argument.

Quote:

The talent is about equal ... wow. Okay then. Right.

When a NFC coach is comparing Baker favorably to Hankins and Logan, maybe you want to double check your scouting.

Quote:

1. They run a 4-3.
2. He did it for a single season.

We just paid him $21M over four years for a single season's work. That's just a brilliant way to operate.
I can't remember specific names but the sentiment was out there because up until that point, Baker had proven less than these too.

Im comparing effort and talent level, that scout is comparing strength and a player who has 2 more years of experience.

I'm not even talking about the scheme anymore with you, it's beyond tiring explaining the similaties on what we now run and the 4-3 scheme.

Did you read what I posted in the other thread from 2 analysts? Or the articles I posted in each of the last 2 seasons.

Woz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I can't remember specific names but the sentiment was out there because up until that point, Baker had proven less than these too.

And these two just got contracts that are 2.5x bigger than what Baker did (and got less than what Baker got in the same market). Even taking into account the expansion in the salary cap, you have to agree that's an awfully big jump.

Also, while Baker may have proven less than these two, he was an in-house talent. They knew what they had in Baker. With these two, we have no idea.

Quote:
Im comparing effort and talent level, that scout is comparing strength and a player who has 2 more years of experience.

Let's ignore McClain for a bit, since he nominally would have been playing next to Baker.

Let's compare McGee and Baker since that's who Stacy is replacing. How do you figure he's got equivalent talent?

Quote:
I'm not even talking about the scheme anymore with you, it's beyond tiring explaining the similaties on what we now run and the 4-3 scheme.

And as I have said many times before, then why keep the fiction of a 3-4 around?

Quote:
Did you read what I posted in the other thread from 2 analysts? Or the articles I posted in each of the last 2 seasons.

Which thread? I might have missed it. I have read how we have moved from a 2-gap to a 1-gap system ... and have seen no real improvements. Or that we run a 4 man front 70%+ of the time, but still think signing guys who are two-down run stoppers who cannot stop the run is a good idea.

But we'll get the talent. We just have to be patient. It will come ... now going into year 8. Our scouts and coaching staff is just about to turn a corner. Just need to sign some top quality free agents (uh oh) and draft some players (we'll see).
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

Ok dr Lavar have you seen his test results and what he actually got knocked for?

He was eating 8!full meals a day and taking protein shakes like crazy of course he's going to put on 20 pounds.

Anthony Lanier and RJF put on 15 to 20 pounds as did Kedric Golston last offseason too.

Let's not forget that Lane Johnson got freakin 10 games for amino acids which is just beyond my comprehension that's a joke!

Looks like you conveniently ignored the second part of lavar's first sentence.
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

I work out a lot. I know a lot more about it than most normal folks. You don't put on 20lbs and get faster. Not to mention he's long past his muscle building peak since he's been lifting for years. What he did wasn't normal and I told you that when it was happening and you argued it then. It was so incredibly obvious but people decided to put their heads in the sand.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

And these two just got contracts that are 2.5x bigger than what Baker did (and got less than what Baker got in the same market). Even taking into account the expansion in the salary cap, you have to agree that's an awfully big jump.
It's also 4 years later. So this is the Kirk Cousins argument. His contract could cost more than a Rodger's but that doesn't mean that Kirk is better than Rodgers. The market is determining how much he'll get paid by someone.

Quote:
Also, while Baker may have proven less than these two, he was an in-house talent. They knew what they had in Baker. With these two, we have no idea.
that's where he pro scouts come in like Alex Santos ands others and McCloughan before he was let go. Anyone watching these two last year could see they were trending upward and their deals are structured in a way that Mccgee could be gone in a year and McLain in 2, just like we did with Paea.

Quote:

Quote:
Let's ignore McClain for a bit, since he nominally would have been playing next to Baker.
So ignore my point, oh how convient for you! Laughing

Bakers cap hit is $6 mil this year, twice as much as McClain and nearly 3 times as much as McGee.

Quote:
Let's compare McGee and Baker since that's who Stacy is replacing. How do you figure he's got equivalent talent?
Talent, yes. McGee was a 6th round pick, Baker was an UDFA.

Also, we don't know that's McGee is replacing Baker yet exactly, do we?

McGee could be replacing Golston/Hood @ NT or RJF as our 2 gaping DE while McClain would replace Baker as the pass rushing 3 technique DE. I think that's more likely the case but we don't know for sure because I don't think it's been reported.

Quote:

Quote:
And as I have said many times before, then why keep the fiction of a 3-4 around?
So I guess you were against hiring Wade Phillips too.. he developed the scheme so we'd be running it if he was here.

Quote:

Quote:
Which thread? I might have missed it. I have read how we have moved from a 2-gap to a 1-gap system ... and have seen no real improvements. Or that we run a 4 man front 70%+ of the time, but still think signing guys who are two-down run stoppers who cannot stop the run is a good idea.

But we'll get the talent. We just have to be patient. It will come ... now going into year 8. Our scouts and coaching staff is just about to turn a corner. Just need to sign some top quality free agents (uh oh) and draft some players (we'll see).
2017 Free Agency thread.

The difference between what we run and what Seattle runs for example is that we have 4 LBs and they have 3 LBs that are smaller than our 2 OLBs.

That's the difference between what we are doing - which the Broncos, Ravens, 49ers, Chargers, Cardinals (#1 d last year) and Bears - and that's it.

We haven't gotten acquired enough talent - no matter the scheme, except for 2009 and 2011 - since 2004.

That's not a new issues. I said in another thread in 04 we added Taylor, Springs, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Salavea, Ryan Clark and Phillip Daniels. We haven't seen that kind of infusion into our d in one offseason sense, it's been more offensive focused some then expect 09 & 11.

I mean if we sign Logan, Poe or Hankins and 1 ILB will you still be upset? I can't imagine you will be, if you will be then it seems you're just not going to be satisfied no matter what.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Quote:

I work out a lot. I know a lot more about it than most normal folks. You don't put on 20lbs and get faster. Not to mention he's long past his muscle building peak since he's been lifting for years. What he did wasn't normal and I told you that when it was happening and you argued it then. It was so incredibly obvious but people decided to put their heads in the sand.
Well I don't even know why I'm bothering posting this but I will. My cousin owns a gym and is a certified nutritionalist and person trainer as is my best friend. It's not like I'm talking out of butt either.

Murphy at first out on 20 pounds like most of our DL did last offseason - except Baker who lost 10 to 15 - so he got up to 285 and got stronger but then he was asked to shed the weight he gained when Galette got hurt which was probably some fat so that he weighed 285.

So, he did that but that doesn't mean he lost that strength. So he got stronger and bigger but then cut that 20 pounds, you don't think that will make you quicker if you do that?

He essentially got up to have the strength of a lineman but was asked to get his size down to that of an OLB again and he did. This made him quicker and faster and frankly he should have done this stuff his rookie year but word he said he didn't like to eat a lot and didn't know much about nutrition. You're not going to gain wait by just lifting weights - but you will get stronger - you gain wait by putting calories into your body. That's the part he added last offseason. He went from like 3,000 calories a day to double it or
More that's how he put on the weight. He was working out with the lineman so he got stronger.

Until I see some report that he did the cream in the clear like Barry bonds or shot himself up with anabolic steroids daily, I'll continue to believe that he was taking over the counter stuff and didn't realize it was banned like amino acids.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: