Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Happened to Preston Smith?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 10590
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: What Happened to Preston Smith? Reply with quote

Almost halfway through the season, he only has 1.5 sacks and is mostly invisible every week. This kid was extremely impressive his rookie year, and I expected big things this season. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

He looked good in the pre-season, but is looking like JAG during the regular season. He's doing pretty well against the run, but the lack of pressure and sacks is killing us. I'm sure the coaches and GM were expecting a lot more coming into the off-season, and were relying on it after the Galette injury. Hopefully, it's just a sophomore slump and he gets it together in the next few weeks.

Does anyone think last year was the aberration, and his production this season is what we can expect going forward? Or do people think this is just a sophomore slump, and he'll eventually get it together?
_________________

mike23md on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doc Draper


Joined: 18 Dec 2012
Posts: 5159
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What Happened to Preston Smith? Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Almost halfway through the season, he only has 1.5 sacks and is mostly invisible every week. This kid was extremely impressive his rookie year, and I expected big things this season. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

He looked good in the pre-season, but is looking like JAG during the regular season. He's doing pretty well against the run, but the lack of pressure and sacks is killing us. I'm sure the coaches and GM were expecting a lot more coming into the off-season, and were relying on it after the Galette injury. Hopefully, it's just a sophomore slump and he gets it together in the next few weeks.

Does anyone think last year was the aberration, and his production this season is what we can expect going forward? Or do people think this is just a sophomore slump, and he'll eventually get it together?


I think a few things:
1. Last year he was an unknown- now they have tape on him and he only has one pass rush move. His hand placement is pretty bad like all of our linemen except swaggy meaning once he's blocked he stays blocked
2. The defense coaches aren't using him how I would. Play him at OLB on running downs and On passing downs he should be at tackle rushing inside not from the outside. Maybe the plan changed when galette got injured?

Our worst position coach( our running backs coach is a close second) that "coffee boy DL coach" who somehow talked his way into that job from being an assistant line coach from the Vikings is stunning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 81085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He leads the team in qb hurries and hits. He's not doing as bad as most think in his pass rush. He has gotten juked a few times by Qbs where he should have had sacks or he's not reading his keys correctly on bootlegs but given that he is getting just as much or as I read, more pressure on the qb than any other player on our defense, I'm not as concerned as I was the first few games of the season.

He has 1.5 sacks in the past two games so if he continues on a similar pace the final 9 games of the season he'plays end up with around 8 sacks again.

I'll also add that the fact that he has to go up against the opposing teams #1 OL every week makes his job harder than the other pass rushers. I've said this for years, and it remains to be true but there's a big difference between having to rush against a pro bowl, former pro bowl or LT that was a first round pick vs getting to rush against way past their prime, and late round or undrafted RTs.

People want to know why Murphy has 6 sacks?

Well the answer is two fold IMO:

1. He got stronger in the offseason so he has the strength to push and rip pat OL now

2. He is predominantly rushing from the LOLB/LDE position. I believe that all of his sacks over the past two seasons - except maybe 1 - have come from the LOLB/LDE position and that is because RT's aren't as good in pass pro as LTs are.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG


Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 19114
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witness Protection Program?
_________________


As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 19345
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophomore Slump. Raised expectations.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mar29020


Joined: 07 Mar 2015
Posts: 1817
Location: VA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's probably getting ate up by lineman since our d-line is poor. that does effect the OLB. he's a good talent, luckily trent murphy is doing well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jarlmaster47


Joined: 15 Mar 2016
Posts: 846
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried about Preston Smith. He's not doing as well as I'd hoped but he did get a sack yesterday and he's still out there doing his thing. If we're having this same conversation at this time next year than we have a problem. But for now I'm cool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 81085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OLB Preston SmithóSmith finally dented the sack column last week, getting a half on the Eaglesí last offensive play of the game. His sack total does not reflect how well he has played this year. He leads the team in quarterback hits with five and is second with 10 hurries. Itís hard to rattle Matthew Stafford and if Smith can get to him a few times that would help in getting him off of his game.
I need to add something to Rich's point about Smith here. While Smith has been a pretty active pass rusher most of the year, he's been abysmal against the run and that's been a huge problem. It's mainly because he's abandoning his run responsibilities too much and loafing it instead of hustling down the line.

Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions http://realredskins.com/2016/10/22/need-to-know-five-redskins-who-are-under-pressure-against-the-lions/ via @Rich_TandlerCSN
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 19345
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Quote:
OLB Preston SmithóSmith finally dented the sack column last week, getting a half on the Eaglesí last offensive play of the game. His sack total does not reflect how well he has played this year. He leads the team in quarterback hits with five and is second with 10 hurries. Itís hard to rattle Matthew Stafford and if Smith can get to him a few times that would help in getting him off of his game.
I need to add something to Rich's point about Smith here. While Smith has been a pretty active pass rusher most of the year, he's been abysmal against the run and that's been a huge problem. It's mainly because he's abandoning his run responsibilities too much and loafing it instead of hustling down the line.

Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions http://realredskins.com/2016/10/22/need-to-know-five-redskins-who-are-under-pressure-against-the-lions/ via @Rich_TandlerCSN
The vets on defense need to step up and say something to Smith about his effort.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 81085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Quote:
OLB Preston SmithóSmith finally dented the sack column last week, getting a half on the Eaglesí last offensive play of the game. His sack total does not reflect how well he has played this year. He leads the team in quarterback hits with five and is second with 10 hurries. Itís hard to rattle Matthew Stafford and if Smith can get to him a few times that would help in getting him off of his game.
I need to add something to Rich's point about Smith here. While Smith has been a pretty active pass rusher most of the year, he's been abysmal against the run and that's been a huge problem. It's mainly because he's abandoning his run responsibilities too much and loafing it instead of hustling down the line.

Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions http://realredskins.com/2016/10/22/need-to-know-five-redskins-who-are-under-pressure-against-the-lions/ via @Rich_TandlerCSN
The vets on defense need to step up and say something to Smith about his effort.
, when most of the vets are only giving half an effort, they don't have much credibility.

Like why would a young guy listen to Baker, RJF amongst others who are seen loafing it during the game also? Those guys are two of our vocal leaders on defense but they're not always giving max effort so they must lose some credibility with the rookie and second year players.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 19345
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Quote:
OLB Preston SmithóSmith finally dented the sack column last week, getting a half on the Eaglesí last offensive play of the game. His sack total does not reflect how well he has played this year. He leads the team in quarterback hits with five and is second with 10 hurries. Itís hard to rattle Matthew Stafford and if Smith can get to him a few times that would help in getting him off of his game.
I need to add something to Rich's point about Smith here. While Smith has been a pretty active pass rusher most of the year, he's been abysmal against the run and that's been a huge problem. It's mainly because he's abandoning his run responsibilities too much and loafing it instead of hustling down the line.

Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions http://realredskins.com/2016/10/22/need-to-know-five-redskins-who-are-under-pressure-against-the-lions/ via @Rich_TandlerCSN
The vets on defense need to step up and say something to Smith about his effort.
, when most of the vets are only giving half an effort, they don't have much credibility.

Like why would a young guy listen to Baker, RJF amongst others who are seen loafing it during the game also? Those guys are two of our vocal leaders on defense but they're not always giving max effort so they must lose some credibility with the rookie and second year players.
Ryan Kerrigan and Josh Norman are the two main leaders on defense.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 81085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Quote:
OLB Preston SmithóSmith finally dented the sack column last week, getting a half on the Eaglesí last offensive play of the game. His sack total does not reflect how well he has played this year. He leads the team in quarterback hits with five and is second with 10 hurries. Itís hard to rattle Matthew Stafford and if Smith can get to him a few times that would help in getting him off of his game.
I need to add something to Rich's point about Smith here. While Smith has been a pretty active pass rusher most of the year, he's been abysmal against the run and that's been a huge problem. It's mainly because he's abandoning his run responsibilities too much and loafing it instead of hustling down the line.

Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions http://realredskins.com/2016/10/22/need-to-know-five-redskins-who-are-under-pressure-against-the-lions/ via @Rich_TandlerCSN
The vets on defense need to step up and say something to Smith about his effort.
, when most of the vets are only giving half an effort, they don't have much credibility.

Like why would a young guy listen to Baker, RJF amongst others who are seen loafing it during the game also? Those guys are two of our vocal leaders on defense but they're not always giving max effort so they must lose some credibility with the rookie and second year players.
Ryan Kerrigan and Josh Norman are the two main leaders on defense.
Well I get the impression that Kerrigan isn't really a vocal leader, he's a lead by example type guy. Norman is a good point.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 19345
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Quote:
OLB Preston SmithóSmith finally dented the sack column last week, getting a half on the Eaglesí last offensive play of the game. His sack total does not reflect how well he has played this year. He leads the team in quarterback hits with five and is second with 10 hurries. Itís hard to rattle Matthew Stafford and if Smith can get to him a few times that would help in getting him off of his game.
I need to add something to Rich's point about Smith here. While Smith has been a pretty active pass rusher most of the year, he's been abysmal against the run and that's been a huge problem. It's mainly because he's abandoning his run responsibilities too much and loafing it instead of hustling down the line.

Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions http://realredskins.com/2016/10/22/need-to-know-five-redskins-who-are-under-pressure-against-the-lions/ via @Rich_TandlerCSN
The vets on defense need to step up and say something to Smith about his effort.
, when most of the vets are only giving half an effort, they don't have much credibility.

Like why would a young guy listen to Baker, RJF amongst others who are seen loafing it during the game also? Those guys are two of our vocal leaders on defense but they're not always giving max effort so they must lose some credibility with the rookie and second year players.
Ryan Kerrigan and Josh Norman are the two main leaders on defense.
Well I get the impression that Kerrigan isn't really a vocal leader, he's a lead by example type guy. Norman is a good point.
I agree about Kerrigan, but when guys aren't following your example its time to speak up.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 10590
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, well Preston. Maybe not as terrible of a year as everyone thinks he had.

Quote:
9) Washington Redskins (2.83 average distance to quarterback)

The Washington defense was worked over on the ground this year, but their secondary and front seven are littered with talented players. Second-year edge defender Preston Smith is their best pass-rusher, ranking 16th in the NFL with 4.03 yards of distance to the quarterback at the time of throw or sack. Smith racked up 13 sacks over his first two seasons. Ryan Kerrigan led the team this year with 11 sacks. Both he and Trent Murphy finished above the NFL average in the Next Gen Stats individual pressure metric for edge players with 100-plus rush attempts. The biggest surprise for Washington had to be the play of defensive end Chris Baker, who ranked 16th among interior pass rushers with 4.29 average yards of distance to the quarterback. Baker heads into free agency this year after a strong season and will command attention if his current team cannot re-sign him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 19345
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Well, well, well Preston. Maybe not as terrible of a year as everyone thinks he had.

Quote:
9) Washington Redskins (2.83 average distance to quarterback)

The Washington defense was worked over on the ground this year, but their secondary and front seven are littered with talented players. Second-year edge defender Preston Smith is their best pass-rusher, ranking 16th in the NFL with 4.03 yards of distance to the quarterback at the time of throw or sack. Smith racked up 13 sacks over his first two seasons. Ryan Kerrigan led the team this year with 11 sacks. Both he and Trent Murphy finished above the NFL average in the Next Gen Stats individual pressure metric for edge players with 100-plus rush attempts. The biggest surprise for Washington had to be the play of defensive end Chris Baker, who ranked 16th among interior pass rushers with 4.29 average yards of distance to the quarterback. Baker heads into free agency this year after a strong season and will command attention if his current team cannot re-sign him.
I cringe reading that about Baker.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group