Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots players chasing history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Gronk ever catch Morgan in yds or Gonzo in TDs?
No to both
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Yes Morgan's yards record
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes Gonzo's TD record
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
He will eventually catch both
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Not a player, but BB's next win will be his 260th all time (Cleveland and NE, incl. play offs). He will be 10 wins behind Landry for 3rd most all time, which is obviously within reach.

Halas and Shula are 2nd and 1st with 324 and 346 wins respectively. 87 more wins seems like a big ask.

I don't think 87 is crazy, but it would require no, or limited, drop off after Brady in terms of 10+ win seasons and would necessitate probably one or two deep playoff runs/Super Bowl wins.

If you include playoffs, I think 11 wins a year average is probably doable, even accounting for a drop off without Brady (from 11-14 regular season wins per year to 8-11).

I could definitely see Belichick coaching for 5 more years. 8 might be a stretch. So the question is, would he hang around just to beat the record once he's within striking distance (say 20-25 away). Ignoring factors like health, mental exhaustion, off-field interests, etc, I think there's a good chance he could go for it. It's interesting because he's not a guy who cares about stats or personal achievements but he's also a huge fan of the history of the game. I think he would take pride in being the winningest coach and sees that as the ultimate success. There was some quote somewhere in one of the Patriots books of the early 2000's where he said that long term sustained success is more meaningful historically than short term dominance.

I hope he goes for it, he is, IMO the GOAT and it would be really great to see him have the all time wins record. Plus, I can't imagine life after Belichick after this ridiculous run. If he retires before he gets the record, I hope it's because he's just won back to back to back Super Bowls and has nothing left to prove Very Happy
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belichick, like Brady, isn't a guy I see walking away from the game until he's truly finished. I think Brady has 4-5 left and Belichick will last beyond that. Call it a gut feeling, but I don't think there's anything outside of football that they'd rather be doing while they can still be the best coach/QB duo in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Not a player, but BB's next win will be his 260th all time (Cleveland and NE, incl. play offs). He will be 10 wins behind Landry for 3rd most all time, which is obviously within reach.

Halas and Shula are 2nd and 1st with 324 and 346 wins respectively. 87 more wins seems like a big ask.

I don't think 87 is crazy, but it would require no, or limited, drop off after Brady in terms of 10+ win seasons and would necessitate probably one or two deep playoff runs/Super Bowl wins.

If you include playoffs, I think 11 wins a year average is probably doable, even accounting for a drop off without Brady (from 11-14 regular season wins per year to 8-11).

I could definitely see Belichick coaching for 5 more years. 8 might be a stretch. So the question is, would he hang around just to beat the record once he's within striking distance (say 20-25 away). Ignoring factors like health, mental exhaustion, off-field interests, etc, I think there's a good chance he could go for it. It's interesting because he's not a guy who cares about stats or personal achievements but he's also a huge fan of the history of the game. I think he would take pride in being the winningest coach and sees that as the ultimate success. There was some quote somewhere in one of the Patriots books of the early 2000's where he said that long term sustained success is more meaningful historically than short term dominance.

I hope he goes for it, he is, IMO the GOAT and it would be really great to see him have the all time wins record. Plus, I can't imagine life after Belichick after this ridiculous run. If he retires before he gets the record, I hope it's because he's just won back to back to back Super Bowls and has nothing left to prove Very Happy

I agree for the most part, and I'm sure BB would have the record in his mind - the only really barrier is age. He's currently the 2nd oldest coach in the league, and in order to get the record he'd have to coach until he was well into his 70s. I'm not sure if there's a precedent for that, and then there's the question of his physical health.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

I agree for the most part, and I'm sure BB would have the record in his mind - the only really barrier is age. He's currently the 2nd oldest coach in the league, and in order to get the record he'd have to coach until he was well into his 70s. I'm not sure if there's a precedent for that, and then there's the question of his physical health.

He's only 64 now so 8 years would make him the same age as Marv Levy was when he retired. Coughlin is 69 and entertaining a comeback. It's unusual but not unrealistic, if he had the health and desire to keep going
biggbrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brady passed Marino for 4th all time in passing yards - 61 582. Now behind just Brees, Favre and Manning.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggbrd wrote:
Brady passed Marino for 4th all time in passing yards - 61 582. Now behind just Brees, Favre and Manning.

And secured the all time TD:INT record for a season.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An obscure record, but a record none the less, Edelman is just 14 yards off the all-time play-off PR yards record, with 326.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edelman is just 9 catches shy of passing Reggie Wayne for 2nd in all-time post-season receptions.
Hunter2_1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Edelman is just 9 catches shy of passing Reggie Wayne for 2nd in all-time post-season receptions.

Will be tight
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter2_1 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

Will be tight
Edelman has an outside shot of catching Rice in this category. He averages 8.3 catches per playoff game. He'd need to sustain that average for 8 more playoff games. In a best-case scenario he'd need 3 more deep playoff runs to pull that off.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edelman won't be good enough, long enough to catch Rice. Even if Brady/Belichick stick around for 4-5 years (can't assume deep runs each of the next 3 years). He's already breaking down and I think his decline phase isn't that far off.

I do think that with a Patriots win in 2 weeks and a couple more productive years, he'll be remembered as the best non-Moss WR in team history. He's a fan favorite (unlike Welker), would be a 2 time winner (unlike Welker and Morgan), and would be considered better than Brown.

That said, if I had to win one game, I'd take Morgan (more talented) and Troy Brown (more reliable) over Edelman. But Edelman will be remembered very fondly and romanticized a bit 20 years from now.

Never underestimate how much trophies affect the way a guy is remembered. One trophy gets a lot of guys remembered if you had a big play, a big game or were an every day starter (e.g. Shane Vereen, Antowain Smith, JR Redmond, Jermaine Wiggins, David Givens). Two trophies gets you romanticized. Think of the way people talk about Mike Vrabel or Tedy Bruschi vs. the way they talk about Dont'a Hightower. Or even the way a guy like Patten is remembered vs. Amendola.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gronk and Edelman retire tomorrow (hypothetical) do both or either eat into HOF?

Red Sox, Pistons, Tar Heels Basketball, Crimson Tide Football, Bruins Hockey, Tottenham Hotspur
*Adopt a Sox: Andrew Benintendi*
Starless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Gronk and Edelman retire tomorrow (hypothetical) do both or either eat into HOF?
Edelman? Nawwww. He'd need 3 more seasons of 100 catches/1000 yards to even register a blip on the voters' radar.

Gronk? Possible. Now that Terrell Davis is in, I think that opens the door for him.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:

Edelman, no shot. Absolutely none.

Gronk, I think would get in, but maybe not first ballot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: