Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft 2017 talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
The amount of disrespect in this thread for 2nd team-all pro Zachary Orr

Laughing

who has disrespected him once?

Umm... there's talk in this thread a page or two back about how we should draft Foster because Orr could be upgraded...

C'mon I was just making a snide remark about him getting an all-pro, not to be taken seriously Laughing

I mean, he can be upgraded. Like I said in that long post above somewhere his impending RFA status complicates things if an extension isn't reached. I don't really want to see the Ravens do it though. Very Happy
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
The amount of disrespect in this thread for 2nd team-all pro Zachary Orr

Laughing

who has disrespected him once?

Umm... there's talk in this thread a page or two back about how we should draft Foster because Orr could be upgraded...

C'mon I was just making a snide remark about him getting an all-pro, not to be taken seriously Laughing

ha alright then, sarcasm doesn't translate well Very Happy

I think he had a great year but I don't necessarily disagree about him being upgradeable, but I'd obviously like to keep him at his current price tag. However, as c0 said, his RFA status complicates matters and if he has another good year next year, he's as good as gone IMO.

Thomas5737 wrote:

. . . Flacco is right. . .
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with Harbaugh saying that the team wants a game-breaking running back in his press conference (and media outlets just now starting to report on it), who fits that profile in this draft class? I doubt they're going to get that kind of player in free agency even though that would be a great way of doing it given how cheap that position is on the open market these days. No, it will probably be a younger, faster draft pick.

In my opinion the guy that clearly belongs in this conversation is Christian McCaffrey. More so than Leonard Fournette and to a lesser extent Dalvin Cook. He's also very likely to be on the board at 16. McCaffrey is a major threat to take it to the house running and receiving out of the backfield. If that's the type of player Harbaugh wants then Christian is his guy.

To be clear I am in no way advocating for McCaffrey or any other running back to be taken in the top three rounds (Baltimore's current first four picks after the Osemele compensatory). Just saying he's that type of player. Dixon and RFA West are a competent backfield duo, and I really don't believe the backs are the cause of the running game not succeeding. That's clearly a function of poor offensive line play/scheming... but Harbaugh won't go there. Nope, he follows up his comments about wanting a running back with gems like this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/john-harbaugh-says-ravens-need-to-add-a-running-back/

Quote:
“Marty believes in running the football, and I believe in running the football,” Harbaugh said. “We have not run the football well enough or enough, really, for the last two years. That has to change.”

So it's kind of obvious he thinks just getting another back will fix the problem. Rolling Eyes
dcarey20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
So with Harbaugh saying that the team wants a game-breaking running back in his press conference (and media outlets just now starting to report on it), who fits that profile in this draft class? I doubt they're going to get that kind of player in free agency even though that would be a great way of doing it given how cheap that position is on the open market these days. No, it will probably be a younger, faster draft pick.

In my opinion the guy that clearly belongs in this conversation is Christian McCaffrey. More so than Leonard Fournette and to a lesser extent Dalvin Cook. He's also very likely to be on the board at 16. McCaffrey is a major threat to take it to the house running and receiving out of the backfield. If that's the type of player Harbaugh wants then Christian is his guy.

To be clear I am in no way advocating for McCaffrey or any other running back to be taken in the top three rounds (Baltimore's current first four picks after the Osemele compensatory). Just saying he's that type of player. Dixon and RFA West are a competent backfield duo, and I really don't believe the backs are the cause of the running game not succeeding. That's clearly a function of poor offensive line play/scheming... but Harbaugh won't go there. Nope, he follows up his comments about wanting a running back with gems like this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/john-harbaugh-says-ravens-need-to-add-a-running-back/

Quote:
“Marty believes in running the football, and I believe in running the football,” Harbaugh said. “We have not run the football well enough or enough, really, for the last two years. That has to change.”

So it's kind of obvious he thinks just getting another back will fix the problem. Rolling Eyes

I would be pretty shocked if a guy like Christian McCaffrey is our first round pick and it certainly seems like a luxury pick. Probably wouldn't have the balls to make that type of pick if I was calling the shots.

That being said, I would be lying if I didn't admit that I would be very intrigued and excited about adding a guy like that....

Now, I do like the idea of getting a guy to replace Buck Allen as the #3 back. Somebody who may be able to contribute on special teams and maybe even get some packages on offense. It's really nothing against Buck, I think he got a raw deal this year. But he seems to be in the never ending doghouse. Probably time to move on from Taliaferro as well and stop waiting on him. I am all for getting someone that will actually be suited up and contributing in some form on Sunday's.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:

I would be pretty shocked if a guy like Christian McCaffrey is our first round pick and it certainly seems like a luxury pick. Probably wouldn't have the balls to make that type of pick if I was calling the shots.

That being said, I would be lying if I didn't admit that I would be very intrigued and excited about adding a guy like that....

Now, I do like the idea of getting a guy to replace Buck Allen as the #3 back. Somebody who may be able to contribute on special teams and maybe even get some packages on offense. It's really nothing against Buck, I think he got a raw deal this year. But he seems to be in the never ending doghouse. Probably time to move on from Taliaferro as well and stop waiting on him. I am all for getting someone that will actually be suited up and contributing in some form on Sunday's.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Buck-Allens-Commitment-To-Special-Teams-Paid-Off/366f4225-bd3a-4009-a284-cdb7269b371e

Quote:
The Ravens running back blocked a punt that wide receiver Chris Moore scooped to score. The touchdown made the difference in Sunday’s 21-14 win over the Steelers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Buck-Allens-Commitment-To-Special-Teams-Paid-Off/366f4225-bd3a-4009-a284-cdb7269b371e

Quote:
The Ravens running back blocked a punt that wide receiver Chris Moore scooped to score. The touchdown made the difference in Sunday’s 21-14 win over the Steelers.

I hear ya. It's not so much he doesn't posses the ability to be a ST'er, but he was a healthy scratch more often than not. Just doesn't seem to be in the plans very consistently.

I also get that Juscyzck is almost our 3rd RB by default but I just don't see the point in even keeping Allen as a 3rd tailback if he doesn't had a role or is in the doghouse.

On he subject of mid-round RB's, I took a look at Marlon Mack from USF and he might be the type of guy that could fit style wise.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hear ya. It's not so much he doesn't posses the ability to be a ST'er, but he was a healthy scratch more often than not. Just doesn't seem to be in the plans very consistently.

I also get that Juscyzck is almost our 3rd RB by default but I just don't see the point in even keeping Allen as a 3rd tailback if he doesn't had a role or is in the doghouse.

On he subject of mid-round RB's, I took a look at Marlon Mack from USF and he might be the type of guy that could fit style wise.

I don't really disagree with you. I just thought that was an interesting comment considering that he made one of the more visible ST plays of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
So with Harbaugh saying that the team wants a game-breaking running back in his press conference

To be accurate, he never said "game-breaking running back", or even for certain that we need to add someone. That was inferred from this quote:

Quote:
I like those two guys. We need another back. What type of back that is? I think we’re talking about it. We have a pretty good idea of the type of back we want to add. That could be a guy here. It could be ‘Buck’ [Javorius] Allen, who played really well early in the season, and him taking the next step as far as developing himself. You didn’t see it, but he practiced really well the last half of the season. Those two guys and another one is what we need.

Here is the primary source, I think it's a good read/listen:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-Tuesday-Transcript-Jan-3/d3172d05-6d72-47d8-a573-81d6ffe579fd

I think a lot of the "news articles" coming out are just reporters making their own conclusions off the quotes in there.

So the same press conference where he talked about the need for a pass rusher, the obvious need for corners, and how we need a possession receiver. "All of us and the fans who really watch us closely, the fans that care a lot, we all kind of know what we need". So he's just acknowledging what we know.

All that said, if we could find a way to add Dalvin Cook (even with a bit of trade up) I personally think that would be a tremendous add for our offense. He may be the player that we have a legitimate shot at, that I would be most excited about. I haven't looked at McCaffrey closely yet, but I don't have him in the 16th overall range.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's going to be some good secondary options at 16, and that's where it's hard for me to justify the RB. Cook would be quite an addition however.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
There's going to be some good secondary options at 16, and that's where it's hard for me to justify the RB. Cook would be quite an addition however.

It remains to be seen how they handle Lardarius Webb this offseason, but guys like Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams, and even Jabril Peppers are intriguing options at safey. One of them could be there for us.

Secondary is really deep in the draft, particularly corner, even this early I'll say there is at least a 50/50 shot that our round 2 pick will be a corner. If Hooker or Adams are there at 16, then I'm good with jumping on that too, but I see them being longer shots to last to there than Cook.

I really hope we are open to moving up to get a real difference maker. With our now trade-able 3rd round comp pick and the great depth of young players we got from last years haul, I hope they look at adding a franchise cornerstone to go with Stanley and Mosley.

Last edited by wackywabbit on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
So with Harbaugh saying that the team wants a game-breaking running back in his press conference

To be accurate, he never said "game-breaking running back", or even for certain that we need to add someone. That was inferred from this quote:

Quote:
I like those two guys. We need another back. What type of back that is? I think we’re talking about it. We have a pretty good idea of the type of back we want to add. That could be a guy here. It could be ‘Buck’ [Javorius] Allen, who played really well early in the season, and him taking the next step as far as developing himself. You didn’t see it, but he practiced really well the last half of the season. Those two guys and another one is what we need.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-Tuesday-Transcript-Jan-3/d3172d05-6d72-47d8-a573-81d6ffe579fd

I think a lot of the "news articles" coming out are just reporters making their own conclusions off the quotes in there.

So the same press conference where he talked about the need for a pass rusher, the obvious need for corners, and how we need a possession receiver. "All of us and the fans who really watch us closely, the fans that care a lot, we all kind of know what we need". So he's just acknowledging what we know.

All that said, if we could find a way to add Dalvin Cook (even with a bit of trade up) I personally think that would be a tremendous add for our offense. He may be the player that we have a legitimate shot at, that I would be most excited about. I haven't looked at McCaffrey closely yet, but I don't have him in the 16th overall range.

Yeah, I was watching the press conference at the time but didn't remember the who running back conversation. Being in a seething rage about no significant coaching changes might have had an effect on that. Laughing Profootballtalk does seem to have taken some liberties in their recent article, but Harbaugh did say that they want another running back. Wasn't framed as the leading need/want but it's something to keep an eye on.

Regardless I think game-breaking running back is what the current group is missing. Not really needing power or patience with West and Dixon, or safety-valve receiving ability with Dixon and Allen. Someone in that mold who can also double as a return man would make a ton of sense.

But the running game isn't going to be significantly different unless the line and blocking is fixed anyways so I'm still highly hesitant about the thought of the Ravens investing a lot in another running back. And that's probably not getting fixed with Castillo heading up that group so... Crying or Very sad
dcarey20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, I was watching the press conference at the time but didn't remember the who running back conversation. Being in a seething rage about no significant coaching changes might have had an effect on that. Laughing Profootballtalk does seem to have taken some liberties in their recent article, but Harbaugh did say that they want another running back. Wasn't framed as the leading need/want but it's something to keep an eye on.

Regardless I think game-breaking running back is what the current group is missing. Not really needing power or patience with West and Dixon, or safety-valve receiving ability with Dixon and Allen. Someone in that mold who can also double as a return man would make a ton of sense.

But the running game isn't going to be significantly different unless the line and blocking is fixed anyways so I'm still highly hesitant about the thought of the Ravens investing a lot in another running back. And that's probably not getting fixed with Castillo heading up that group so... Crying or Very sad

I tend to agree. I think a straight line speed back who can explode on a big one would be great.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:

I tend to agree. I think a straight line speed back who can explode on a big one would be great.

You mean like this guy? Laughing

Danand wrote:
The Steelers have a nice thread where they discuss draft prospects. Found this guy in there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsimHbxxFd8

We NEED this guy (and it has nothing to do with me being 5'6 and rooting for the short guys)

Oregon Ducks wrote:
KingBishop wrote:
Can we respectfully create a Ducks forum and you just stay there?
Take it easy, Donald Trump.
Danand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarik Cohen!!!!

Seriously, I am all for it. Give us a potential Darren Sproles option.

Take the Kent State game for example, the play at 7.30 is exactly what we need. The game also shows his hands and ability to make those short out routes into 5-7 yards gains.
M.10.E

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Center in the second round. Lets do it.

Pass Rusher/CB in the 1st/3rd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: