Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft 2017 talk
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Draft 2017 talk Reply with quote

It is never too early to talk about the next draft!

Ravens best receiver is 37 year old, our 1. Round wide receiver is constantly injured and when he is on the field, he doesnít make plays. Our best tight end already had hip surgery twice, and our Oline is in shambles and canít run block and tries to get our QB killed in pass pro.
It is even worse on defense, where our best pass rushers are 32 and 35 years old, we could say the same thing for our starting safeties. Our #2 cornerback is being beaten for 1-2 touchdowns in every single game, and we constantly put our young cornerbacks on injured reserve instead of the field.
When did we even have a returner?
As we can see, the sky is falling, we should tank like the 2011 Colts! But who should we tank for?

Atm. Oline and secondary are the most likely places to upgrade at this point, so here are some interesting options.

Cornerbacks:

Adoree Jackson
Sidney Jones
Cameron Sutton

Safeties:
Jabrill Peppers
Buddy Baker

OT:
Cam Robinson
Mike McGlinchy
Casey Tucker

OC/OGís
Pat Elfein
Dan Feeney
Isaac Asiata

Who else should we keep an eye out for?
M.10.E

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass rush, WR or OL.

Our pass rush STINKS.

The pick needs to be in the trenches IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OL, WR, Safety, Pass rusher.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a bona fide starting possession receiver added. With Smith gone next year and Aiken likely brought back the Ravens only have Perriman, Wallace, and Moore at that position. All are more in the mold of deep threats. Give Joe somebody who works the shorter area of the field that isn't on his last legs like Smitty and Mason are/were.

Cornerback needs to be addressed. Wright wasn't good with San Diego, wasn't good with San Francisco, and isn't good with Baltimore. I don't know why people expect anything different with him. I like Young but I'm still cautious that he's dependent on matchup. Not sure Tavon is a real starter. He and Jimmy are the only two cornerbacks on the roster worth considering for major snaps going forward.

A safety would be nice too. Webb will be in the last year of his contract next season and that's a position that takes time. Can't really plug in a rookie and feel good about it. There aren't a whole lot of good safeties in the elague so those that do reach the free agent market are expensive. Doesn't seem like a route the Ravens would take, especially after paying Weddle.

Those are the three main positions I want the Ravens to go after early right now. I think the future starters on the offensive line are already on the team. Depth is needed if Wagner leaves but just a tackle. That goes even more for the defensive line and outside linebackers. Inside linebacker could use a boost, but Orr is fine and doesn't really hurt the defense. Running back doesn't need anything (again, so they will draft another one Laughing). Tight end is REALLY set. And that's about it. There's always the chance that a developmental quarterback is taken but probably not with an earlier pick. The later ones can be used on whatever BPA falls.
Danand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a look at some of the wide receivers yesterday, and I prefer Cooper Kupp more than some of the more highlighted prospects. Seems to me he is one of those 3-4 round wide receivers, who drops because of lack of athletic ability or breakaway speed, but just finds a way to produce.

He is really really good at tracking the ball and he can take a lick without coughing up the ball.

Its a good year to have a need for a cornerback. There are already a lot of prospects I like, also at the safety position.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corner and pass rusher have to be the highest priorities. Even though they drafted a couple of developmental pass rushers this year, getting a legitimate top talent to replace the soon to be retiring Suggs would be hugely important.

And, as ever, the Ravens' CBs are average at best. Jimmy Smith is clearly never going to be the dominant player he briefly threatened to be, and the other guys are the epitome of JAGs. Tavon Young looks good, but he'll never be a viable cover corner against guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones.

WR shouldn't be a big need, with Wallace and Perriman and Moore. If it is, then the Ravens will have badly screwed up when they signed and drafted those guys. A 3rd/4th round possession guy/kick returner seems like the most sensible idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Corner and pass rusher have to be the highest priorities. Even though they drafted a couple of developmental pass rushers this year, getting a legitimate top talent to replace the soon to be retiring Suggs would be hugely important.

And, as ever, the Ravens' CBs are average at best. Jimmy Smith is clearly never going to be the dominant player he briefly threatened to be, and the other guys are the epitome of JAGs. Tavon Young looks good, but he'll never be a viable cover corner against guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones.

WR shouldn't be a big need, with Wallace and Perriman and Moore. If it is, then the Ravens will have badly screwed up when they signed and drafted those guys. A 3rd/4th round possession guy/kick returner seems like the most sensible idea.

He's been great in every game he's played so far this season, I don't know what you're watching. The Ravens have one of the best passing defenses in the league right now statistically, and I don't believe an "average at best" CB group can achieve that. Corner is not a huge need for me, I'm fine with Jimmy at #1 and signing a veteran CB or letting one of the young guys step up.

Safety is a bigger need, both Weddle and Webb are 31. They are going to regress very soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't have much of a problem with the way Jimmy has played thus far. Doesn't look great in (way) off coverage, but that's on the guy putting him in that position. He's a fine number one cornerback.

If the Ravens had a young player to step up I would be fine going that route. Tavon fits that description but like I've said before his size is going to be a limiting factor in some matchups and teams basically need three starters at that position anyways. Canady isn't ever going to be anything but decent depth. Price and Rolle are/were practice squad guys for a reason. And then... crickets.

There is no such thing as a cheap, quality veteran cornerback so I don't think that's a likely route for the Ravens. They may end up signing one that isn't expensive but he isn't going to be very good. Like Wright.

I wouldn't mind Baltimore drafting a legitimate top pass rusher but they're not going to be in a position to get one. It's looking like they will have at least a decent record this season and top pass rushers don't fall to the middle of the first round. They will still be looking at complementary talent at that spot, and they already have three guys in that mold with Smith, Judon, and Correa.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

He's been great in every game he's played so far this season, I don't know what you're watching. The Ravens have one of the best passing defenses in the league right now statistically, and I don't believe an "average at best" CB group can achieve that. Corner is not a huge need for me, I'm fine with Jimmy at #1 and signing a veteran CB or letting one of the young guys step up.

Safety is a bigger need, both Weddle and Webb are 31. They are going to regress very soon.

I'm watching the Ravens. He once threatened to be one of the best CBs in the league, but injuries derailed him and I now see him as solid but unlikely to improve.

Shareece Wright is good at defending the run, but gets burned on too many pass plays. Will Davis is a legend of the fans' making. As I said, Tavon Young looks good, but he's always going to be primarily a nickel corner.

Sign a veteran? Like Kyle Arrington? Michael Huff? Kendrick Lewis? Teams don't let veteran DBs go if they're any good. At least, not the ones the Ravens might dream of affording.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

I'm watching the Ravens. He once threatened to be one of the best CBs in the league, but injuries derailed him and I now see him as solid but unlikely to improve.

Shareece Wright is good at defending the run, but gets burned on too many pass plays. Will Davis is a legend of the fans' making. As I said, Tavon Young looks good, but he's always going to be primarily a nickel corner.

Sign a veteran? Like Kyle Arrington? Michael Huff? Kendrick Lewis? Teams don't let veteran DBs go if they're any good. At least, not the ones the Ravens might dream of affording.

Jimmy has been more than just "solid". He probably hasn't allowed much more yards than the "elite" CBs(Sherman, Harris, Norman, Talib) so far this season.

Michael Huff and Kendrick Lewis were safeties, we saw how bad the defense was with them, we were getting deep balls thrown on us left and right, that's why I have safety as a higher priority than #2 CB. Both Weddle and Webb are 31, their time is going to end very very soon. We already have our #1 CB in Jimmy, we can get by easier by having a less talented #2 CB, than we can by having a less talented safeties.

So not only is safety a more valuable position than #2 CB, but we also need 2 safeties as both of our safeties are old.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
So not only is safety a more valuable position than #2 CB, but we also need 2 safeties as both of our safeties are old.

Weddle is signed for three more years after this so he will probably be around for a bit. Good or bad. Like I said before next year is likely Webb's last season though so there's more of an immediate need to get a replacement for him. Baltimore doesn't need two right away, but hopefully drafting one with a higher pick this upcoming draft should be a priority.

Or Matt Elam comes back this season and astounds everybody. Laughing
Rein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:

Weddle is signed for three more years after this so he will probably be around for a bit. Good or bad. Like I said before next year is likely Webb's last season though so there's more of an immediate need to get a replacement for him. Baltimore doesn't need two right away, but hopefully drafting one with a higher pick this upcoming draft should be a priority.

Or Matt Elam comes back this season and astounds everybody. Laughing

I still have some hope for Elam to come back and be somewhat of a serviceable player. However the Deen-Pees-Deep-zone defense is not tailored to what Elam is best at - being a playmaker around the LOS (at least he was in college.)

In terms of needs, I agree that pass rusher would be ideal but probably our of our range. From what I've heard so far there are a couple of safeties that could potentially be in the first round, and compared to the fact that safeties are usually undervalued in the draft (unless they are physical freaks) I could see us going that route.

In the following rounds I would like to se a substantial investment in the trenches, which would allow our playmakers more opportunities (both on offense and defense).
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Elam can come back and be a decent player too, but like you said there is no real role for him on the defense with both safeties needed to cover the mid-deep parts of the field. Matt could be a real nice dime pseudo-LB but Pees doesn't use much of that. Maybe with Mosley out he will but I'm not holding me breathe. It certainly won't be a mainstay regardless, so you can't count on him as much going forward.
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he's at least trying to learn from Weddle. That's all I can ask for at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With how bad Elam played when we actually used him in the role, where he was supposed to succeed, I really don't expect anything from him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: