Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Davis' Playing Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the lone star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Mike Davis' Playing Time Reply with quote

Why isn't this guy getting more burn? I think he's more talented than Draughn and he did well during the preseason. I understand that Hyde is the lead horse, but sometimes a pass-catching RB can help a QB situation that is a huge question mark.

You all think he should be playing over Draughn?

Last edited by the lone star on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, no. He definitely hasn't earned it, was pathetic last year, and got beat out by the street free agent. I won't complain if he plays, but I don't really have a need to see either.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
RedWhiteNGold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down for him to play if it keeps hyde healthy for when our team is actually relevant
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think he should be playing more. He looked really good in the preseason and Draughn can't get anything going. Now, I'm not completely blaming Draughn as our OL is terrible in run blocking and Gabbert didn't help his case but maybe a stronger back like Davis will have more success. He got a few carries last week so I think we are heading into that direction.

El ramster on the sig
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Not really, no. He definitely hasn't earned it, was pathetic last year, and got beat out by the street free agent. I won't complain if he plays, but I don't really have a need to see either.

Didn't Davis have a better preseason than Draughn? I'm honestly not sure, so that's a genuine question.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Didn't Davis have a better preseason than Draughn? I'm honestly not sure, so that's a genuine question.

Yeah, but Draughn was used very sparingly. Davis did look improved in the preseason, albeit against backups.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mike should be playing, not because of what he's done, but because of what Draughn is doing. The guy dances too much and is not really getting anything going. I prefer Dujuan Harris to Draughn, and we've cut and re-signed Harris what, a hundred and four times so far this year? So yeah, I'd personally release Draughn and play Davis and Harris more. Not that it changes anything, really.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
I think Mike should be playing, not because of what he's done, but because of what Draughn is doing. The guy dances too much and is not really getting anything going. I prefer Dujuan Harris to Draughn, and we've cut and re-signed Harris what, a hundred and four times so far this year? So yeah, I'd personally release Draughn and play Davis and Harris more. Not that it changes anything, really.

Yeah, this is why I said earlier that I won't complain if he does play as I don't really care to see either of the backups. Mike Davis has a career 1.6 YPC, and Draughn this year is only around 2. Poor Hyde is not being done any favors without a complimentary back, a more competent line, and a less rudimentary rushing playbook. Hoping Garnett helps a bit, but he's only one guy, and he's only able to help with 1/3 of those issues.

757-NINER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:

This. Draughn is the more complete back and brings far more to table than Davis at this point. Especially as a pass-catcher. I liked the improvement Davis showed from year one but he still has a ton of room to grow. He's right where he should be.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

This. Draughn is the more complete back and brings far more to table than Davis at this point. Especially as a pass-catcher. I liked the improvement Davis showed from year one but he still has a ton of room to grow. He's right where he should be.

Then again, maybe he'd grow a lot more if we gave him playing time, while Draughn will just be Draughn. I liked Draughn when he started getting playing time, after Hyde got injured last year, but he didn't get much better as the season went on. He's just... what he is. He can make guys miss some times, but other times, he'll just dance too much and won't make it past one defender. I just don't think he has enough speed to be the elusive back he's trying to be. Dujuan Harris does, on the other hand. I felt he played really well at the end of last year, and was a better, more explosive, runner and pass catcher. I don't pay enough attention to pass blocking and all the little things, and that's probably why Harris is a journeyman RB and Draughn is a slightly less journeyman RB. But at some point, I don't really care if you're great at the little things if you're just average at the big things. I don't see upside to Draughn, and in a wasted season when we're not competitive, I don't see the point in playing him. Let's see if Mike Davis has improved at all, or if he can improve still. If he doesn't, let's cut him. Give him five games as the primary back-up to Hyde, and if he doesn't produce, release him, and give Kelvin Taylor a shot. Why wait until next offseason to do our talent evaluation? Why try to judge these guys in shorts in OTAs, when we can judge them in pads against live NFL competition? The worst that can happen, really, is that one of these young guys happens to be so good, and we luck into a win, and draft a pick or two later, but at least we'll know we have a good player on the team. If we know for a fact we don't have a good player, we cut him and move on.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Draughn has 4 catches for 23 yards in 5 games. Now we have Kaepernick coming in who doesn't look to RBs nearly as much as Gabbert. I'm sorry but at this point I see little reason to play Draughn over Davis. Our OL is obviously bad in run blocking, but Davis will have a better shot at making something happen than Draughn.

El ramster on the sig
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
the lone star wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Yeah, but Draughn was used very sparingly. Davis did look improved in the preseason, albeit against backups.

I'd like to see Davis get a shot simply because draughn has done next to nothing when he's gotten onto the field. To be fair, he usually gets hit in the backfield. I think he is a solid player with pretty good feet but I don't think the read option is conduisive to his success. Things just haven't clicked for him in this offense.

Davis jumped off of the screen in preseason. he looked very quick. I think he should get a shot. Similar to kaep, what have we got to lose?

Your first post says davis as beat out by a guy off the street. With the way our previous 4ish coaching staffs have handled the depth charts, I don't necessarily think/trust that means he's an inferior player.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Clayton. That's all I have to say on this subject.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Davis looked super quick in the preseason. Really caught my eye that way. Honestly, I've noticed his quickness and agility on returns during the regular season. At South Carolina they would periodically line Davis up at WR, with how much Gabbert loves throwing it short, I would have tried that. Of course, I'm at home sitting on the couch. Unlike the people who ultimately make the decisions each week, this isn't my job.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Draughn has 4 catches for 23 yards in 5 games. Now we have Kaepernick coming in who doesn't look to RBs nearly as much as Gabbert. I'm sorry but at this point I see little reason to play Draughn over Davis. Our OL is obviously bad in run blocking, but Davis will have a better shot at making something happen than Draughn.

Agreed. Davis ain't a bad pass catcher either. Draughn is better, sure, but Davis isn't a slouch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: