Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers 2017 draft thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should we draft
Myles Garrett
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Jalen Tabor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marlon Humphrey
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Marshawn Lattimore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jamaal Adams
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Deshaun Watson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cam Robinson
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Other
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 18

chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I've been on the hype train for Hooker since like week four but with Peppers and Baker both available in the second I am staring at Solomon Thomas and thinking our defense would play a lot better with another pass rushers. Bosa, Ingram, and Thomas would possibly evolve into a Giants Super Bowl like pass rush. You can disguise a whole lot with a good pass rush. Three guys able to get pressure and keeping each other fresh and hunger does a lot. Probably more then my favorite ball hawk project. We have to win now. Quick turn around, we get the pass rusher.

I think Thomas is becoming very overrated. I think the Highest he goes is to The Bengals at 9 and the lowest he goes would be NYG at 23.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Chargers brass met with JuJu Smith Schuster at the combine, I would love to acquire him in the 3rd if he was available. Although height wise he isn't massive like VJ or Floyd, he is a "big bodied" (6'1, 215) receiver that is often praised for his physicality. I think he would be a good "fit" for Lynn's Offense, a receiver who is selfless in terms of his blocking ability and can still project as a solid #2.

Benjamin and Williams are guys who have the "top end"/burner speed, and when healthy Allen is one of the top route runners/hands in the league. Smith has been a playmaker at USC and although his numbers this past year were a "career low", overall he had great production (which Telesco values greatly) over his three years in the PAC12.
Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
I think Thomas is becoming very overrated. I think the Highest he goes is to The Bengals at 9 and the lowest he goes would be NYG at 23.

Then prepare for him to get even more overrated. That combine performance should cement him as a top-10 pick.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

Then prepare for him to get even more overrated. That combine performance should cement him as a top-10 pick.

I think the Bengals take him At 9.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
I've been on the hype train for Hooker since like week four but with Peppers and Baker both available in the second I am staring at Solomon Thomas and thinking our defense would play a lot better with another pass rushers. Bosa, Ingram, and Thomas would possibly evolve into a Giants Super Bowl like pass rush. You can disguise a whole lot with a good pass rush. Three guys able to get pressure and keeping each other fresh and hunger does a lot. Probably more then my favorite ball hawk project. We have to win now. Quick turn around, we get the pass rusher.

I agree he's becoming overrated - in that, especially among the televised talking heads, people are starting to claim to see things and traits that simply aren't there on the film with him. But I don't know that I'd put a cap on how high he'll go yet. To me, we're looking at another situation similar to Ziggy Ansah where you want to say, "Oh, he's got so much potential but he's not going to play on the interior and has so far to go in development as an EDGE guy, so there's no way he goes Top 10," but the NFL loves potential and high-ceilings, especially in the Top 10 picks. I could see Chicago as a legit option if they're dumb enough to sign Glennon. I can see Carolina biting since they sound like they're angling for a Matt Kalil/Michael Oher starting tackle tandem. If New Orleans gets anything for Cooks, I could see that emboldening them to move up a couple spots for him, since he fits the mold of that "big hype/big program" prospect they usually bite on.

Barring a trade back, I have a tough time seeing where the hell the FO is going to go with this pick. They just don't appear to value the safety position. McDowell is arguably the best pure fit, but my gut tells me he's not someone Telesco is going to shine to (I could certainly be wrong, but it would have to be a scenario where they've been high on him since mid-season and that hasn't diminished). I have serious doubts they'd take Lattimore in the Top 10 already having two strong starting CB's (it's certainly possible, but that feels like a move you make in the 13-20 range, not the top 7). Similarly, I have doubts they sink the pick into a WR with recent contract commitments to Allen and Benjamin and House Tyrell breaking out last season.

I have to agree with Garrett Sisti that Garrett Bolles just plain has the feel of a player the Chargers brass will take a shine to, but I don't like his value at #7, clearly.

Ideal tradeback scenarios would appear to be either Buffalo if they stupidly let Tyrod walk, coming up for a QB (some folks would say, who is the threat to take one between our pick and theirs but there's a flip side to that coin in that I think the threat they may perceive is Cleveland trading up to get ahead of them).

Conversely, Cleveland coming up to get ahead of Buffalo is a possibility, but I'd honestly think that New Orleans, the Eagles, the Cards (normally a BPA team, but this could be a year to be aggressive for Keim with Palmer and Fitz coming back for one more shot), and the Colts (the Colts new GM isn't Grigson and he's not stupid, but I also believe he's the sort who will get aggressive to try to make up for lost time/ground for the hole Grigson left him in).

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
kyle21121

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty a trade down is what I would most be in favour of in this situation picking at 7. Especially if taking a safety doesn't seem to be the highest priority of this staff. (Haven't heard much on this but I could see it) as of now Allen, Adams or Hooker were the three guys I was looking at with the seventh pick and it seems likely 2 of them will be gone already.

Hooker has the injury issues I guess I'll have to pay more attention to tomorrow's DB combine than I have over the weekend. I love his playmaking ability and I've heard people say he's the next Ed Reed which is a ton of respect but who knows at this point especially if he has some medical red flags.

Most likely another option at #7 will seem like a reach (edit)

WR should not be an option in round one. I was very against it for the longest time but I guess it's now time to consider Keenan's injury history and not just call it fluky. Someone like Ju-Ju or M. Dupree in round 3 is a move I'd be in favor of.

So maybe trade down to that 12-20 range and look at all possible OL and DL options and acquire more picks would make far more sense. I wouldn't even mind going BPA if Lattimore or someone like that does drop.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
In all honesty a trade down is what I would most be in favour of in this situation picking at 7. Especially if taking a safety doesn't seem to be the highest priority of this staff. (Haven't heard much on this but I could see it) as of now Allen, Adams or Hooker were the three guys I was looking at with the seventh pick and it seems likely 2 of them will be gone already.

Hooker has the injury issues I guess I'll have to pay more attention to tomorrow's DB combine than I have over the weekend. I love his playmaking ability and I've heard people say he's the next Ed Reed which is a ton of respect but who knows at this point especially if he has some medical red flags.

Most likely another option at #7 will seem like a reach (edit)

WR should not be an option in round one. I was very against it for the longest time but I guess it's now time to consider Keenan's injury history and not just call it fluky. Someone like Ju-Ju or M. Dupree in round 3 is a move I'd be in favor of.

So maybe trade down to that 12-20 range and look at all possible OL and DL options and acquire more picks would make far more sense. I wouldn't even mind going BPA if Lattimore or someone like that does drop.

Don't put too much stock in Bucky Brooks and his kinds' mocks. A safety has only gone in the Top 10 three times in the last ten years. And two haven't gone in the Top 10 since Whitner and Huff went #7 and #8 in 2006.

MathMan wrote:
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Peppers or give me death imo

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will have the opportunity to have the first safety off the board at seven. That being said with realistically five day one starters at the position I'm not sure it's great value as we can land a starter in the second.

Hooker is highest ceiling and the lowest floor. His tackling is meh. His adhering to assignments is meh. He has physical tools and good instincts though. I don't see Ed Reed but could be I'm still gun shy after the Cromartie pick.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:

We don't need a Linebacker. If you want someone from SCUM so bad, we can get Darboh later

Peppers is overrated
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

We don't need a Linebacker. If you want someone from SCUM so bad, we can get Darboh later

Peppers is overrated

Yeah, that's why I named a safety

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Peppers is overrated

Be real, Peppers is a linebacker. That is what most teams see him as, and that is why he did LB drills. Peppers will get drafted by New Orleans. Hooker or Adams in rd 1.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Peppers is overrated

Be real, Peppers is a linebacker. That is what most teams see him as, and that is why he did LB drills. Peppers will get drafted by New Orleans. Hooker or Adams in rd 1.

He did LB drills because he played LB in college and the Combine made him participate with the LBs. Which is why he performed again today with the DBs because he is a DB.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Peppers is overrated

Yeah, that's not true.

He was listed as a LB last season by Michigan, so per rules of the Combine he was required to work out with linebackers. They also wouldn't have just consented to him working out with the DB's purely off his request, there would have had to be some expressed interest from clubs to see him workout with the DB's before they would have greenlit it.

MathMan wrote:
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I think we will have the opportunity to have the first safety off the board at seven. That being said with realistically five day one starters at the position I'm not sure it's great value as we can land a starter in the second.

This is feeling a lot like 2 years ago where we spent months convincing ourselves we weren't going to take the obvious pick (Melvin Gordon).

Telesco has reportedly made an offer to Addae. If he accepts, that leaves a very specific need in free safety.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: