Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers 2017 draft thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should we draft
Myles Garrett
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Jalen Tabor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marlon Humphrey
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Marshawn Lattimore
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Jamaal Adams
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Deshaun Watson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cam Robinson
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Other
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author Message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9462
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at this class, the more I think trading down is the best option. I have been pretty heavily against it (especially when we were picking @3), but I just don't see anyone in this class that separates themselves as a top guy. Guys like Cam Robinson, Tim Williams, Ryan Ramczyk have separated themselves to me as top 10 talents, but all have significant character/injury concerns that I'm not taking lightly and will probably push them down the board. I think Hooker is good, but with the surgery, and his iffy tackling skills, I think he ends up late round 1 or even round 2. I think if a guy falls like Watson, someone will be eager to jump up and get him.

The one guy that I think could change my mind is Takk McKinnley. I think he can test like an elite athlete, and his play on the field, definitely shows the potential for him to be an elite pass rusher. I'd be VERY interested in him, and he'll be right in that top 10 range if he pulls off the combine he should based on the tape. And he's that TT motor type player that I could see him falling in love with.

Even if Jon Allen makes it down there, I'm not convinced he brings something to the table that Soloman Thomas or Malik McDowell don't (in fact IMO McDowell brings something special that the other 2 don't), who we can get later IMO (and its not a big deal if we miss out on 1 or 2 of them).

This draft is absolutely LOADED with depth, but in terms of very top talent without many concerns, its pretty lacking outside of Garrett. I just don't see any one player, that we can't get the same value out of a mid or even late 1st rounder. Having that extra 2nd rounder would be awesome too.
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1598
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
The more I look at this class, the more I think trading down is the best option. I have been pretty heavily against it (especially when we were picking @3), but I just don't see anyone in this class that separates themselves as a top guy. Guys like Cam Robinson, Tim Williams, Ryan Ramczyk have separated themselves to me as top 10 talents, but all have significant character/injury concerns that I'm not taking lightly and will probably push them down the board. I think Hooker is good, but with the surgery, and his iffy tackling skills, I think he ends up late round 1 or even round 2. I think if a guy falls like Watson, someone will be eager to jump up and get him.

The one guy that I think could change my mind is Takk McKinnley. I think he can test like an elite athlete, and his play on the field, definitely shows the potential for him to be an elite pass rusher. I'd be VERY interested in him, and he'll be right in that top 10 range if he pulls off the combine he should based on the tape. And he's that TT motor type player that I could see him falling in love with.

Even if Jon Allen makes it down there, I'm not convinced he brings something to the table that Soloman Thomas or Malik McDowell don't (in fact IMO McDowell brings something special that the other 2 don't), who we can get later IMO (and its not a big deal if we miss out on 1 or 2 of them).

This draft is absolutely LOADED with depth, but in terms of very top talent without many concerns, its pretty lacking outside of Garrett. I just don't see any one player, that we can't get the same value out of a mid or even late 1st rounder. Having that extra 2nd rounder would be awesome too.


I guarantee you hooker goes top 10, and possibly to us, but this move Jamaal Adams to the top of the Chargers draft board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9462
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The more I look at this class, the more I think trading down is the best option. I have been pretty heavily against it (especially when we were picking @3), but I just don't see anyone in this class that separates themselves as a top guy. Guys like Cam Robinson, Tim Williams, Ryan Ramczyk have separated themselves to me as top 10 talents, but all have significant character/injury concerns that I'm not taking lightly and will probably push them down the board. I think Hooker is good, but with the surgery, and his iffy tackling skills, I think he ends up late round 1 or even round 2. I think if a guy falls like Watson, someone will be eager to jump up and get him.

The one guy that I think could change my mind is Takk McKinnley. I think he can test like an elite athlete, and his play on the field, definitely shows the potential for him to be an elite pass rusher. I'd be VERY interested in him, and he'll be right in that top 10 range if he pulls off the combine he should based on the tape. And he's that TT motor type player that I could see him falling in love with.

Even if Jon Allen makes it down there, I'm not convinced he brings something to the table that Soloman Thomas or Malik McDowell don't (in fact IMO McDowell brings something special that the other 2 don't), who we can get later IMO (and its not a big deal if we miss out on 1 or 2 of them).

This draft is absolutely LOADED with depth, but in terms of very top talent without many concerns, its pretty lacking outside of Garrett. I just don't see any one player, that we can't get the same value out of a mid or even late 1st rounder. Having that extra 2nd rounder would be awesome too.


I guarantee you hooker goes top 10, and possibly to us, but this move Jamaal Adams to the top of the Chargers draft board


I wouldn't rule it out, or anything like that, he's talented and a HELL of an athlete, but he comes from the Cromartie school of Tackling. That mixed with his torn meniscus and his groin issues (more important IMO than the Labrum, you could MRI half the DB's in the NFL, and they'll have some form of damage to their labrum, its just purely pain tolorance and the particular injury), and I think he's just as close to going in the 2nd round as he is to going top 10, especially since he won't be able to prove exactly how good an athlete he is at the combine, where guys like Baker, Adams, Obi, Eddie Jackson are going to absolutely Shine. I think this is a loaded S class, which might push his value down even more.
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1598
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The more I look at this class, the more I think trading down is the best option. I have been pretty heavily against it (especially when we were picking @3), but I just don't see anyone in this class that separates themselves as a top guy. Guys like Cam Robinson, Tim Williams, Ryan Ramczyk have separated themselves to me as top 10 talents, but all have significant character/injury concerns that I'm not taking lightly and will probably push them down the board. I think Hooker is good, but with the surgery, and his iffy tackling skills, I think he ends up late round 1 or even round 2. I think if a guy falls like Watson, someone will be eager to jump up and get him.

The one guy that I think could change my mind is Takk McKinnley. I think he can test like an elite athlete, and his play on the field, definitely shows the potential for him to be an elite pass rusher. I'd be VERY interested in him, and he'll be right in that top 10 range if he pulls off the combine he should based on the tape. And he's that TT motor type player that I could see him falling in love with.

Even if Jon Allen makes it down there, I'm not convinced he brings something to the table that Soloman Thomas or Malik McDowell don't (in fact IMO McDowell brings something special that the other 2 don't), who we can get later IMO (and its not a big deal if we miss out on 1 or 2 of them).

This draft is absolutely LOADED with depth, but in terms of very top talent without many concerns, its pretty lacking outside of Garrett. I just don't see any one player, that we can't get the same value out of a mid or even late 1st rounder. Having that extra 2nd rounder would be awesome too.


I guarantee you hooker goes top 10, and possibly to us, but this move Jamaal Adams to the top of the Chargers draft board


I wouldn't rule it out, or anything like that, he's talented and a HELL of an athlete, but he comes from the Cromartie school of Tackling. That mixed with his torn meniscus and his groin issues (more important IMO than the Labrum, you could MRI half the DB's in the NFL, and they'll have some form of damage to their labrum, its just purely pain tolorance and the particular injury), and I think he's just as close to going in the 2nd round as he is to going top 10, especially since he won't be able to prove exactly how good an athlete he is at the combine, where guys like Baker, Adams, Obi, Eddie Jackson are going to absolutely Shine. I think this is a loaded S class, which might push his value down even more.


Hooker is going top 10 bro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7212
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooker is really the only chance this team has of keeping me.The amusement of wearing that jersey is reallly all I am hoping for.

Last edited by Boltstrikes on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyle21121


Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 10806
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Hooker is really the only chance this team has of keeping me. He amusement of wearing that jersey is reallly all I am hoping for.


I think the surgery and injury stuff coming out scares me a little but he is such a talented player it would be tough to pass on him. If Adams or Allen were available I'd take one of them over Hooker but I'd also be thrilled with the selection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9462
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about potential free agents that we can land, and given that we cut some guys, we'll have a decent amount of room to work with IMO.

First one I think we bring in is Cordarelle Patterson. While I don't think he's a necessary piece. Every year, TT has made it a huge priority to bring in a "dynamic" type return guy, and I think we can finally get one with Patterson. George Stewart (our new ST's coach, former Vikings WR coach) drafted him in Min as his kind of "pet project", and now with him running the ST's here, I think we can get CP cheapish, and if we manufacture some touches for him, he can have some impact on offense as well, though we likely never see him as a big threat on offense.

Second is Cyprien. I think he can still be an impact "box SS", but I think their terrible playcalling in Jax let him down. It depends on price and how Gus feels about him, but I think this is a very realistic option to fix one of our S spots that wouldn't be too expensive, and has big upside (Gus basically used a 1st round pick on him in '13). Has the chance to be one of Telesco's bargain bin hauls IMO.

Ty Nsekhe IMO is going to get PAID, and he was REAL good with Washington when he could get some PT, so I'm not sure we'd be able to grab him, but if because of lack of PT and all that, I'd be all over him as a swing OT. He'd a little older, but lack of wear, and his elite athleticism IMO is going to give him a long career, so we'd get at least one 3/4 year contract out of him. I think he could start at LT for a good chunk of teams. For reference Duke Manyweather ranked him as the 7th best LT in the NFL this year. If we don't get him, I'd focus on the draft for this position.

There are some other guys I'd be interested in at EDGE, CB and OG, but I haven't really looked into those guys yet. I'm mainly looking for guys who aren't really going to break the bank at this point, since I don't think we make any big signings this year, even if we get rid of guys like Flowers/Fluker who give us a lot of dough to spend. I was just looking for a start and these guys are interesting because of the coaching connections among other things.
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ohiogenius


Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 5728
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we have another Ty Nsekhe fan.

I think the oline has potential to be rebuilt in FA with Franklin and Dunlap designated as post June 1st cuts.

Sign:
LT - Ty Nsekhe
G/RT - Austin Pastzor
LG/LT Patrick Omameh

Pastzor is better at guard but actually held his own at RT barring some of the elite speed rushers so theres positional flexibility.

Omameh stepped in at LG this year for the Jags and played pretty well according to a Jag fan. He has the ability to swing out to tackle.

I think Duffman57 said everything that needs to be said about Nsekhe.

Nsekhe -- Omaneh -- Slauson -- Pastzor - Barksdale

and If Barksdale sucks then kick out Pastzor to RT and play Fluker or Tuerk at RG
_________________
BwickBrownie wrote:
cortes02 wrote:
Would JPP fit in the 3-4??

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9462
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
I see we have another Ty Nsekhe fan.

I think the oline has potential to be rebuilt in FA with Franklin and Dunlap designated as post June 1st cuts.

Sign:
LT - Ty Nsekhe
G/RT - Austin Pastzor
LG/LT Patrick Omameh

Pastzor is better at guard but actually held his own at RT barring some of the elite speed rushers so theres positional flexibility.

Omameh stepped in at LG this year for the Jags and played pretty well according to a Jag fan. He has the ability to swing out to tackle.

I think Duffman57 said everything that needs to be said about Nsekhe.

Nsekhe -- Omaneh -- Slauson -- Pastzor - Barksdale

and If Barksdale sucks then kick out Pastzor to RT and play Fluker or Tuerk at RG


Dear god no. You're crazy. If you sign Nsheke, its to be a swing OT, like he was in Wash, even if he was very good in limited reps in Wash. I'd prefer to get a project OT in the draft, but I'm worried about the availability of them this year.

Also where the hell did you come up with these names? Omaneh graded out as the 5th worst OG in the league according to OL guru Duke Manyweather (he was the 74th rated OG.....). I guess I'd give him a blind shot at a depth role (something we don't need at all), but nothing more than that. Let alone over Franklin, who was actually pretty decent this year, despite what PFF and the general fan thinks about him. He was rated the 32nd best OG in the league (including both RG and LG's).

Pasztor wasn't "pretty good" at RT. He was rated the 27th best RT in the league (for reference, Joe Barksdale was rated the 23rd). He was one of the weak links on a bad OL TBH.

Right now, the only position that I'd even debating actually outright replacing someone is Fluker at RG (I'm just not sure he has it between the ears to be a full time starter in the NFL), and I think we have the in-house options to do so. Whether its moving Slausen out to RG (where he played in Chicago under our current OL coach), and letting Pulley/Tuerk battle it out for the C spot, or keeping Slausen at C, and giving Pulley a shot at RG, where he played very well early in the year, though his play tailed off later when he was forced into some different positions. I think if you give him a chance to settle in at RG, he could be very good. I'd be all about keeping him as a "super sub" if we have the chance though.

As for Nsekhe, I really like him, but not near enough to cut Dunlap. Dunlap, when healthy, is a very average starting LT, which aren't all that easy to come by. You sign him on a 2 year deal with the promise of giving him a shot at the starting LT job next year (and the allure of heavy PT with an injury prone Dunlap this year).

This OL does NOT need a total makeover. There's guys along this OL that have proven they can play at a high level, and it was already a very good run blocking unit, albeit an extremely poor pass pro unit. This can honestly be a very solid group with a few tweaks and better coaching (similar problems were had with Davidson in Minnesota, he seemed all about power run blocking, and forgot about pass pro, thus a lot of miscommunications). I'm not really giving up on the group yet, but at the very least, the team needs to find a way to pay less for the RG spot, since we're paying a good bit for the LT/RT/LG spots. We can't pay all of those guys 8m. Fluker needs to either bring his contract way down, or be cut.
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ohiogenius


Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 5728
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Pastzor I watched all year. He made the transition from RG to RT (out of necessity as we had no RT) and in the beginning it was a disaster. But after 4 games or so he ended up being pretty decent. Not to say he was perfect but he only had 1 bad game in the back 10-11 games. He wasnt leading the team in penalties like Barksdale thats for sure. Thats why i said hes a guard who CAN play RT. His natural position is RG where he had a good stretch subbing in for an injured guard in 2015.

Also I got Omaneh mixed up with Luke Joeckel. I think i was reading something about Omaneh right before I typed it up.

And isnt Dunlap always getting injured or have issues with Migraines? Also in this scenario it would involve a project tackle like Antonio Garcia from Troy.

Nsekhe -- Joeckel-- Slauson -- Pastzor - Barksdale

Obviously if you are going the Pastzor Joeckel route then you can afford to keep Dunlap around. Also I am assuming Fluker takes a massive pay cut.

Hell getting rid of Franklin and Fluker will open up cap to sign one of the top FA guards like Kevin Zeitler, Ron Leary, Larry Warford
_________________
BwickBrownie wrote:
cortes02 wrote:
Would JPP fit in the 3-4??

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9462
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
Well Pastzor I watched all year. He made the transition from RG to RT (out of necessity as we had no RT) and in the beginning it was a disaster. But after 4 games or so he ended up being pretty decent. Not to say he was perfect but he only had 1 bad game in the back 10-11 games. He wasnt leading the team in penalties like Barksdale thats for sure. Thats why i said hes a guard who CAN play RT. His natural position is RG where he had a good stretch subbing in for an injured guard in 2015.

Also I got Omaneh mixed up with Luke Joeckel. I think i was reading something about Omaneh right before I typed it up.

And isnt Dunlap always getting injured or have issues with Migraines? Also in this scenario it would involve a project tackle like Antonio Garcia from Troy.

Nsekhe -- Joeckel-- Slauson -- Pastzor - Barksdale

Obviously if you are going the Pastzor Joeckel route then you can afford to keep Dunlap around. Also I am assuming Fluker takes a massive pay cut.

Hell getting rid of Franklin and Fluker will open up cap to sign one of the top FA guards like Kevin Zeitler, Ron Leary, Larry Warford


Again, I'm completely against cutting Franklin. I think he was solid, and at this point, only slighly overpaid.

The more I look into this, the more I think that Khalil is a guy who we could bring in on a cheapish deal and see if we can get the most out of him. Our Assistant OL coach, James Cregg, actually was his OL coach at USC. He's been a mess since he got into the NFL, but I think we have the right guys and connections here to turn him around.
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 34859
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be really surprised if Kalil gets out of Minnesota. He's been poor since his sophomore season there, but the FA class outside of him (unless they really get wide-eyed at the prospect of Branden Albert) is poor and they have no 1st round pick, and their options behind him are what? An equally mediocre-at-absolute-best TJ Clemmings who struggled at RT? Once they part ways with AP they're going to have cap flexibility to work it.

Odd thought, and I don't know if it feels too much like replacing King Dunlap with another King Dunlap, but D, you think Ethan Pocic could kick out to tackle? I know he's more of a finesse blocker than a straight power guy, but that's why I have concerns about him at guard and his length and height don't fit the mold that most NFL clubs seem intent on having their centers fit into.
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1598
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I'm gonna be really surprised if Kalil gets out of Minnesota. He's been poor since his sophomore season there, but the FA class outside of him (unless they really get wide-eyed at the prospect of Branden Albert) is poor and they have no 1st round pick, and their options behind him are what? An equally mediocre-at-absolute-best TJ Clemmings who struggled at RT? Once they part ways with AP they're going to have cap flexibility to work it.

Odd thought, and I don't know if it feels too much like replacing King Dunlap with another King Dunlap, but D, you think Ethan Pocic could kick out to tackle? I know he's more of a finesse blocker than a straight power guy, but that's why I have concerns about him at guard and his length and height don't fit the mold that most NFL clubs seem intent on having their centers fit into.


The afc west is filled with finesse pass rushers. Mack, Miller, and Houston
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neutral


Joined: 08 Mar 2013
Posts: 1967
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasztor is a very plausible option. I'll keep that in mind when the FA rumors start flying.

The tag for Melvin Ingram is around $15M, so that right there burns through our free agent spending money. We'll gain another $8M or so when Fluker is released, but this is shaping up to be a classic Telesco free agency: one splash signing, and a few bargain signings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7212
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the hype train for Hooker since like week four but with Peppers and Baker both available in the second I am staring at Solomon Thomas and thinking our defense would play a lot better with another pass rushers. Bosa, Ingram, and Thomas would possibly evolve into a Giants Super Bowl like pass rush. You can disguise a whole lot with a good pass rush. Three guys able to get pressure and keeping each other fresh and hunger does a lot. Probably more then my favorite ball hawk project. We have to win now. Quick turn around, we get the pass rusher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group