Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers 2017 draft thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should we draft
Myles Garrett
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Jalen Tabor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marlon Humphrey
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marshawn Lattimore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jamaal Adams
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Deshaun Watson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cam Robinson
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Other
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
I love Hooker. I think he is a dynamic playmaker. I love certain things Peppers does but I don't really know how he'd fit and am not too familiar with Adams.

Any insight on a Hooker v. Peppers v. Adams?

Peppers is an Outside Linebacker, Not a safety. Hooker and Adams are the guys we should be looking at for safety. Adams is that Thumper type and Hooker is the ballhawk type

I imagined Peppers in like a Bucannon type role or something. Safety should probably be the pick in the first round imo but I figured just having someone that talented would be tempting and you can move him around. I may be out of my element as I haven't watched a ton of college football this year.

I still prefer to take Hooker as I think he could be that dynamic play maker that I've seen at OSU. I'm assuming you are all for him as the pick haha.

I want Cam Robinson, but he doesn't pass jacksonville

Cam Robinson makes sense as well. OT needs to be addressed I don't for see it being addressed in round one mainly because I didn't think there were an OTs that were that highly regarded this year. You think he's a top 5 lock because of position or because he's a building block LT?

Robinson is a top 5 pick because jacksonvilles offensive line is an atrocity

So he is Jokel 2.0 or something better? Jacksonville could go multiple directions they seemingly have all this talent but are yet again a mess.

I know it's unfair but there is a certain stink on the last Bama OL we drafted that I'm not all in on the guy especially if it's not shaping up to be an all that great OL class from what I've heard.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
I love Hooker. I think he is a dynamic playmaker. I love certain things Peppers does but I don't really know how he'd fit and am not too familiar with Adams.

Peppers is an Outside Linebacker, Not a safety. Hooker and Adams are the guys we should be looking at for safety. Adams is that Thumper type and Hooker is the ballhawk type

I imagined Peppers in like a Bucannon type role or something. Safety should probably be the pick in the first round imo but I figured just having someone that talented would be tempting and you can move him around. I may be out of my element as I haven't watched a ton of college football this year.

I still prefer to take Hooker as I think he could be that dynamic play maker that I've seen at OSU. I'm assuming you are all for him as the pick haha.

I want Cam Robinson, but he doesn't pass jacksonville

Cam Robinson makes sense as well. OT needs to be addressed I don't for see it being addressed in round one mainly because I didn't think there were an OTs that were that highly regarded this year. You think he's a top 5 lock because of position or because he's a building block LT?

Robinson is a top 5 pick because jacksonvilles offensive line is an atrocity

So he is Jokel 2.0 or something better? Jacksonville could go multiple directions they seemingly have all this talent but are yet again a mess.

I know it's unfair but there is a certain stink on the last Bama OL we drafted that I'm not all in on the guy especially if it's not shaping up to be an all that great OL class from what I've heard.

I expect the Jaguars to hire Josh mcdaniels and I am almost positive he will want to fix that offensive line so bortles is not playing with a separated shoulder and the RB's can have larger gains. Carolina will be going after the best available left tackle in free agency so I expect Jacksonville to miss out
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:

I like Adams the best of the three.

Have to disagree about him being a thumper, though. What sets him apart is his coverage skills. He's fluid and sticks to his man rather than attempting to make the splash play. You won't catch him blowing assignments. What he brings in run support is icing on the cake. I think you're wasting him if you try to play him primarily as an in-the-box safety. He's someone who should be used as a moveable chess piece, single high, in-the-box, manned up on an opponent's TE... basically, another Eric Weddle.

If the reports about his leadership and character are true, I expect that will be a big plus for Telesco. He's my top choice among (currently) realistic picks at #7. Would prefer Barnett, but I think he goes top-5.
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:

I'd hope they evaluate him based on the player, not what Fluker (or Warmack) has done. Reportedly, Kelly is working out well in Indy, so there's some reason for hope.

I haven't scouted any OL yet, so I don't have an opinion on Cam Robinson.

chargerbuckeye wrote:
I expect the Jaguars to hire Josh mcdaniels and I am almost positive he will want to fix that offensive line so bortles is not playing with a separated shoulder and the RB's can have larger gains. Carolina will be going after the best available left tackle in free agency so I expect Jacksonville to miss out

Assuming Whitworth stays in Cincy, it's a barren market at left tackle.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would rather take a shot on Mike McGlinchey or Ryan Ramcyzk (if they declare) over Cam Robinson at Offensive Tackle.

#1 Some people feel Robinson might not even be a true Left Tackle in the League, and may be a Right Tackle only (similar to Andre Smith or Phil Loadholt) or might have to "kick inside" to Guard.

#2 After the "Fluker fiasco" I am not really keen on taking another Bama lineman so high. Honestly if you look at their track record over the past few years, the only guy who looks good (I.e. "Living up to their billing") is Kelly as you mentioned. Andre Smith, James Carpenter, The Kouandjo Bros., AJ Cann, Chance Warmack (BUSTED HARD!) and our boy Fluker have all been underwhelming in terms of how they have actually fared compared to how they were "projected". Not saying Bama won't ever produce a good lineman, but their current OL players in the NFL is almost like USC receivers (not many have "panned" out once they hit the NFL).

#3 Robinson had some off the field issues in the pre-season, I would pass with the character concerns.

#4 I just don't know "value" wise if any of these guys are even worth a top 10 pick. McGlinchey seems to be the most "pro ready" and Ramcyzk has probably the most "upside" (transferred to Wisconsin from a D3 school...) but none of these guys are "Slam Dunks" like: Joe Thomas, Jake Long, even guys like Lane Johnson or Ronnie Stanley when they were coming out.

I would love to draft Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams with out 1st. I don't think Peppers is as "pro ready" as those guys, especially at the Safety position. He is a "Swiss army knife" in the sense he can play:LB, S, and Nickle but doesn't have the "high floor" like the other two do. He is a great athlete but it will likely take time for him to transition as a pure Safety. Honestly he seems like a better college player than Pro, compared to someone like TJ Watt at OLB who likely will be a better Pro than College player.

I am still a fan of Budda Baker potentially in the second, TJ Watt as well.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:

I'd hope they evaluate him based on the player, not what Fluker (or Warmack) has done. Reportedly, Kelly is working out well in Indy, so there's some reason for hope.

chargerbuckeye wrote:

Carolina will pay big bucks for Whitworth
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Neutral wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:

chargerbuckeye wrote:

Carolina will pay big bucks for Whitworth

That's not their GM's style.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Bolts223

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I hope if they go for OL in the first round they peel back. Because taking any of these O-linemen #7 overall would be reaching.

So if you are to stay with the #7 overall pick, I think we should go for Safety. I would go for Malik Hooker if he is still available at #7.

Also I wouldn't be completely against drafting a QB project in the 3rd/4th round. I know this teams has needs, but we also have to worry about the future. We have a lot of young, talented players who will probably be the core of the team even after Rivers retires. And I don't want the Chargers to end up like the Texans with great talent but no QB.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolts223 wrote:
Personally I hope if they go for OL in the first round they peel back. Because taking any of these O-linemen #7 overall would be reaching.

So if you are to stay with the #7 overall pick, I think we should go for Safety. I would go for Malik Hooker if he is still available at #7.

Also I wouldn't be completely against drafting a QB project in the 3rd/4th round. I know this teams has needs, but we also have to worry about the future. We have a lot of young, talented players who will probably be the core of the team even after Rivers retires. And I don't want the Chargers to end up like the Texans with great talent but no QB.

I'll be honest, if we stay pat at #7, I want McDowell... yes, over Hooker or Adam's. Of the two, I'd probably prefer Adams, but for what we need, I honestly feel like Baker is the best fit in the class.

I just can't get myself excited about Barnett. He's the second coming of Derrick Morgan, a top 10 pick worthy pass-rusher. McDowell is athletic enough to play the jumbo DE, 5-tech, 4-tech, and 3-tech. And if Preston Smith can play OLB, so can McDowell, who is more athletic.

MathMan wrote:
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDowell's going to need a strong motivator to keep him focused. He was always getting "hurt" this year and often looked like he didn't really care.

And I know, I'm a Michigan fan, but I feel like Peppers would be fine at safety if he were allowed to practice there. He played up on the line a lot in the box (which didn't make sense even though Brown is a genius), and he was the primary in coverage a lot more than other top safety prospects while not always playing a ton of zone.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Last edited by JammerHammer21 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bolts223

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Bolts223 wrote:

I'll be honest, if we stay pat at #7, I want McDowell... yes, over Hooker or Adam's. Of the two, I'd probably prefer Adams, but for what we need, I honestly feel like Baker is the best fit in the class.

I just can't get myself excited about Barnett. He's the second coming of Derrick Morgan, a top 10 pick worthy pass-rusher. McDowell is athletic enough to play the jumbo DE, 5-tech, 4-tech, and 3-tech. And if Preston Smith can play OLB, so can McDowell, who is more athletic.

Honestly I think McDowell is probably more likely anyways. Only because TT doesn't really seem to value the safety position that much. I would still go with Hooker if it was me drafting though. Safety is more of a need and Hooker could fall right into our lap without having to reach for one.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
McDowell's going to need a strong motivator to keep him focused. He was always getting "hurt" this year and often looked like he didn't really care.

And I know, I'm a Michigan fan, but I feel like Peppers would be fine at safety if he were allowed to practice there. He played up on the line a lot in the box (which didn't make sense even though Brown is a genius), and he was the primary in coverage a lot more than other top safety prospects while not always playing a ton of zone.

Notice how he didn't "start feeling hurt" until Sparty was clearly out of it as far as being competitive went. He was preserving his body for the pros, which - knowing that he's a likely Top 10 pick as a declare - I don't really blame him for.

Genuinely, I think you put him on a line with Joey Jacked-Up and he isn't going to have difficulty staying motivated.

If we end up hiring someone the like of McDermott or McDonald that runs that Rivera/Zimmer brand of line that loves the oversized DE's, that is a frightening tandem to have to face that can be shifted around with one or both moving inside in certain packages to create a ton of pressure.

MathMan wrote:
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Notice how he didn't "start feeling hurt" until Sparty was clearly out of it as far as being competitive went. He was preserving his body for the pros, which - knowing that he's a likely Top 10 pick as a declare - I don't really blame him for.

Genuinely, I think you put him on a line with Joey Jacked-Up and he isn't going to have difficulty staying motivated.

If we end up hiring someone the like of McDermott or McDonald that runs that Rivera/Zimmer brand of line that loves the oversized DE's, that is a frightening tandem to have to face that can be shifted around with one or both moving inside in certain packages to create a ton of pressure.

Just draft Taco imo

No bias here

Nope

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 2 rounds

1) Malik Hooker - FS or Jamal Adams - SS

2) Antonio Garcia - LT

Garcia needs to develop strength but can take over LT in case Dunlap gets hurt again. Plus he fits the giant mold at tackle yall have but with athleticism.

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Just draft Taco imo

No bias here

Nope

We could get Taco in rd 2.

No to McDowell, no to peppers. I think Taco will be solid.

I say Robinson, Hooker, or Adams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: