Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers 2017 draft thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should we draft
Myles Garrett
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Jalen Tabor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marlon Humphrey
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Marshawn Lattimore
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Jamaal Adams
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Deshaun Watson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cam Robinson
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Other
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author Message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7217
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think we will have our choice of the safeties if we decide to go that route. For all the impact Fournette would have he should be gone at 4.

Peppers is going to end up a second rounder with all the talk of how he doesn't fit into any position naturally.

Probably 2 T's in the top ten.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 186
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to think realistically who we could Draft if the board was to NOT fall our way... More or less, " worst case scenario "...

I think we all know Myles Garrett is a lock to the Browns, but then things get interesting (here is how I think the draft could play out):

#1-Browns: Myles Garrett, DE
#2-49'ers: Soloman Thomas, DL
#3-Bears: Jonathan Allen, DL
#4-Jaguars: Leonard Fournette, RB
#5-Titans: Corey Davis, WR (or maybe Marshon Lattimore)
#6-Jets: Jamal Adams, S
#7-Chargers: ?

Given this scenario, we would have prospects such as Marshon Lattimore, Malik Hooker, Derek Barnett, and Malik McDowell available.

I don't know if the 49'ers will take a DL or DB at #2 (John Lynch might have a bias towards DB's after all...). I think Adams or Allen is likely the pick for the Bears. Fournette seems logical for the Jaguars (maybe they over-draft an EDGE or even OJ Howard). The Titans are the TRUE WILDCARD, I think they either go Receiver or DB (Lattimore or Adams/Hooker). Jets have a lot of needs, they just drafted Calvin Pryor high a few years back who has so far more or less been a bust, and reports are they will be cutting ties with Gilchrist.

So given this hypothetical scenario, with the prospects above who are available (or anyone else you might prefer), who would YOU draft?

* I still want Jamal Adams badly. Even though most are projecting/penciling him as a SS, I think he can be used pretty interchangeably (unlike Hooker). Yes Hooker might have better range overall, but Adam's game is much more polished in all other aspects and he isn't a scrub as a deep safety. I still think he would be a great FS, but no doubt he would be a BETTER SS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7217
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take Lattimore and thank the football gods for giving me such an easy choice. I'd personally consider Malik also but don't think many front offices let alone ours would.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BoltsFan937


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 1137
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I see it....
Cle - Myles Garrett
SF - Leonard Fournette (I think this pick gets traded. It makes too much sense if SF likes Adams/Allen/Lattimore and Thomas to trade with say Jacksonville and get a little something in return but I think Fournette goes #2)
Chi - Solomon Thomas - Defensive line trumps the safety position and Thomas adds more upside and athleticism than Allen
Jacksonville - (In my scenario this is actually SF pick. I don't see a safety here. They have Tartt and Reid in place so I don't see the immediate need. Im gonna give them Lattimore
Tennessee - Jamal Adams - I think need and BPA collide here. Adams gives Lebeau a swiss army knife to play with
NYJ - Best QB available (either to the Jets or they trade out)

So
Garrett
Fournette
Thomas
Lattimore
Adams
QB

Which leaves us - Hooker, Allen, Williams, and I'll even throw OJ Howard out there as a super dark horse or possibly one of the QB's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1610
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I take Lattimore and thank the football gods for giving me such an easy choice. I'd personally consider Malik also but don't think many front offices let alone ours would.


The report is that our front office loves hooker. But I could see us going qb in rd 1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7217
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
I take Lattimore and thank the football gods for giving me such an easy choice. I'd personally consider Malik also but don't think many front offices let alone ours would.


The report is that our front office loves hooker. But I could see us going qb in rd 1


Same answer for both players. As a 4-12 team you don't spend a top ten pick on a player that isn't ready to contribute from day 1.

At least if you want to keep your job or establish a fan base in a new competitive market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyle21121


Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 10867
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gonna listen to who the front office apparently loves because I don't remember hearing much on Bosa at all last year. Also if we go QB in round 1 I'm gonna lose it. Mahomes in round 2 is maybe okay but I don't like the QBs this year and to draft Rivers replacement in round one is ludicrous we have so many other needs to worry about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DingoLadd


Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Posts: 256
Location: MD.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're gonna end up with one of the DBs(Adams, Lattimore, hooker)I think an edge rusher makes some sense but not all that much, Allen would be a steal at 7, but no one saw us drafting Bosa last year so we could really end up drafting a QB in round one (I highly doubt it but it's an option) we'll see I just hope we don't draft a QB.
_________________
I'm a San Diego(Now LA but bleep that) Chargers fan.

Long live Phillip Rivers and his constant carrying of this god awful team.

Also go (South Carolina) Charleston Dingoes. Looking for a co-owner for a fantasy team so PM me please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9470
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year, to me it seems like they always go back to a guy that's been high on their board a long time and has been a consistent producer, which makes me think the pick is going to be Adams (I think he'll be there, I don't see a team going S that early TBH), Barnett, McDowell, Jon Allen, and maybe Peppers or even Reuben Foster. To me, other than McDowell and Foster, that's a pretty uninspiring group of players. I'd love if we could trade back from this group, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of potential partners (unless Fournett falls and someone REALLY wants to get there before the Panthers do).
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BoltsFan937


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 1137
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Every year, to me it seems like they always go back to a guy that's been high on their board a long time and has been a consistent producer, which makes me think the pick is going to be Adams (I think he'll be there, I don't see a team going S that early TBH), Barnett, McDowell, Jon Allen, and maybe Peppers or even Reuben Foster. To me, other than McDowell and Foster, that's a pretty uninspiring group of players. I'd love if we could trade back from this group, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of potential partners (unless Fournett falls and someone REALLY wants to get there before the Panthers do).


I think, I think it will come down to Hooker (1st choice), Jonathan Allen or maybe Lattimore. My opinion but I don't feel Barnett, McDowell, Foster or Peppers are worthy of that pick. I have a hard time seeing Peppers or Adams going that high. If you're a safety going that high you better be a game changer, and by that I mean collecting interceptions. Peppers ball skills are pitiful (to prove my point, if his ball skills were great Michigan would have never moved him off CB/S to LB), Adams are a bit better but I still don't see him as a "interception guy" per se. Hooker has the ball skills AND when he has it, he can take it to the house. That's what you're looking for in a top ten safety.

Barnett, McDowell and Foster all have their own individual issues. I don't think any of them are top ten worthy. Maybe Foster, but I think his injury/concussion issues along with his personality will drop him to the teens.

I think there's 5 blue chip guys in this draft
Garrett
Fournette
Hooker
Thomas
Lattimore (and ONLY if you're comfortable with his hamstrings)

Right below that group, sort of 1A I guess
OJ Howard
Hassan Reddick
Christian McCaffrey
Jonathan Allen
Jamal Adams

Then after that, the next 15 guys probably have similar grades
Corey Davis
Dalvin Cook
Reuben Foster
Forrest Lamp
Gareon Conley
Etc, etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9470
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoltsFan937 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
Every year, to me it seems like they always go back to a guy that's been high on their board a long time and has been a consistent producer, which makes me think the pick is going to be Adams (I think he'll be there, I don't see a team going S that early TBH), Barnett, McDowell, Jon Allen, and maybe Peppers or even Reuben Foster. To me, other than McDowell and Foster, that's a pretty uninspiring group of players. I'd love if we could trade back from this group, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of potential partners (unless Fournett falls and someone REALLY wants to get there before the Panthers do).


I think, I think it will come down to Hooker (1st choice), Jonathan Allen or maybe Lattimore. My opinion but I don't feel Barnett, McDowell, Foster or Peppers are worthy of that pick. I have a hard time seeing Peppers or Adams going that high. If you're a safety going that high you better be a game changer, and by that I mean collecting interceptions. Peppers ball skills are pitiful (to prove my point, if his ball skills were great Michigan would have never moved him off CB/S to LB), Adams are a bit better but I still don't see him as a "interception guy" per se. Hooker has the ball skills AND when he has it, he can take it to the house. That's what you're looking for in a top ten safety.

Barnett, McDowell and Foster all have their own individual issues. I don't think any of them are top ten worthy. Maybe Foster, but I think his injury/concussion issues along with his personality will drop him to the teens.

I think there's 5 blue chip guys in this draft
Garrett
Fournette
Hooker
Thomas
Lattimore (and ONLY if you're comfortable with his hamstrings)

Right below that group, sort of 1A I guess
OJ Howard
Hassan Reddick
Christian McCaffrey
Jonathan Allen
Jamal Adams

Then after that, the next 15 guys probably have similar grades
Corey Davis
Dalvin Cook
Reuben Foster
Forrest Lamp
Gareon Conley
Etc, etc


I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd definitely makes some changes to your board (more guys in 1a, and I'd basically only put Lattimore (with the health check) and Garrett in that top tier, I think everyone else has some sort of issues. Basically players 3-20 are extremely similar to me, and I don't really see a big difference between any of them at the same position. They either all have major (but generally correctable) issues or are guys I see as major contributors, but not elite players (Barnett is the focus here). I'm just not sure I see a single person other than Lattimore that I'd take head and shoulders over the field.

But this was just based off of what I was looking at via the trends. TT, while he learned from Bill Polian, he has a very Ted Thompson/Ron Wolfe type of feel to his style. He seems to highly value consistent production at the college level and takes specific athletic traits into account when scouting different positions (3 cone at CB, 10yd split at EDGE, Short Shuttle at RB etc). TT seems like a creature of habit, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but IMO, it makes him a little more predictable. I don't feel like he'll go for any of the 1 hit wonder types of guys in the first round TBH, and that's what Hooker/Lattimore/Thomas are.

It honestly wouldn't shock me to see him go with Connely, Corey Davis or Mike Williams in terms of that trend. There's obviously going to have to be some scheme fit to the players they bring in, but he's basically proven that he wants to take the "safe" rout with the 1st picks, and not necessarily the ceiling picks, but he'll get both when he can (Bosa).
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
game3525


Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Posts: 11021
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pick is going to be Allen, Davis, or Williams. I know Hooker and Adams are the popular picks, but TT has never valued the safety position ( I know we have Gus now, but still I just don't see them pulling the trigger on a safety in round one).

D-lineman and receiver are safe picks and they are needs. (we could use some more depth on the d-line, and Keenan's health is a question mark at this point).

Quote:
I have to agree with Garrett Sisti that Garrett Bolles just plain has the feel of a player the Chargers brass will take a shine to, but I don't like his value at #7, clearly.


Galko has talked about this as well. I am with you and Garrett, I just don't see them taking Bolles at 7, if they trade down then I am ok with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 34956
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
I think the pick is going to be Allen, Davis, or Williams. I know Hooker and Adams are the popular picks, but TT has never valued the safety position ( I know we have Gus now, but still I just don't see them pulling the trigger on a safety in round one).

D-lineman and receiver are safe picks and they are needs. (we could use some more depth on the d-line, and Keenan's health is a question mark at this point).

Quote:
I have to agree with Garrett Sisti that Garrett Bolles just plain has the feel of a player the Chargers brass will take a shine to, but I don't like his value at #7, clearly.


Galko has talked about this as well. I am with you and Garrett, I just don't see them taking Bolles at 7, if they trade down then I am ok with it.

Granted, we're talking about the guy who took Texas State's Craig Mager in the 3rd round, but a WR from a mid-major conference (which the MAC constitutes) hasn't gone in the Top 15 since 1999 (Troy Edwards, 13th overall to the Steelers out of LA Tech). Then throw in that because of his injury, Davis hasn't been able to run for teams at all during this entire pre-draft process - and that with regard to receivers, speed sells at a high premium and is typically what pushes a guy up draft boards. Davis is honestly more likely to go outside the Top 20 than he is to go inside the Top 10.

I think getting Bosa at #3 last year spoiled a lot of people on "getting value." #7 in this draft isn't a spot where you're going to "get great value out of the pick" unless there are at least 2-3 trades inside the Top 5 or some major brainfarts/reaches occurring therein. And if Ereck freakin' Flowers can go Top 10, Bolles sure as heck can.
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
game3525


Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Posts: 11021
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:
I think the pick is going to be Allen, Davis, or Williams. I know Hooker and Adams are the popular picks, but TT has never valued the safety position ( I know we have Gus now, but still I just don't see them pulling the trigger on a safety in round one).

D-lineman and receiver are safe picks and they are needs. (we could use some more depth on the d-line, and Keenan's health is a question mark at this point).

Quote:
I have to agree with Garrett Sisti that Garrett Bolles just plain has the feel of a player the Chargers brass will take a shine to, but I don't like his value at #7, clearly.


Galko has talked about this as well. I am with you and Garrett, I just don't see them taking Bolles at 7, if they trade down then I am ok with it.

Granted, we're talking about the guy who took Texas State's Craig Mager in the 3rd round, but a WR from a mid-major conference (which the MAC constitutes) hasn't gone in the Top 15 since 1999 (Troy Edwards, 13th overall to the Steelers out of LA Tech). Then throw in that because of his injury, Davis hasn't been able to run for teams at all during this entire pre-draft process - and that with regard to receivers, speed sells at a high premium and is typically what pushes a guy up draft boards. Davis is honestly more likely to go outside the Top 20 than he is to go inside the Top 10.

I think getting Bosa at #3 last year spoiled a lot of people on "getting value." #7 in this draft isn't a spot where you're going to "get great value out of the pick" unless there are at least 2-3 trades inside the Top 5 or some major brainfarts/reaches occurring therein. And if Ereck freakin' Flowers can go Top 10, Bolles sure as heck can.


Yeah, you might be right about us being spoiled about last year's draft in terms of value at 3. TT did take DJ at 11 in 2013, and that isn't much separation from 7.

As for Davis, you are right about the injury and small school stuff. But IMO, he seems like a better fit for what the Chargers do on offense and actually need, when compared to Williams. (red-zone help and someone who can sustain drives, which we lacked with Keenan being out).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 9470
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:
I think the pick is going to be Allen, Davis, or Williams. I know Hooker and Adams are the popular picks, but TT has never valued the safety position ( I know we have Gus now, but still I just don't see them pulling the trigger on a safety in round one).

D-lineman and receiver are safe picks and they are needs. (we could use some more depth on the d-line, and Keenan's health is a question mark at this point).

Quote:
I have to agree with Garrett Sisti that Garrett Bolles just plain has the feel of a player the Chargers brass will take a shine to, but I don't like his value at #7, clearly.


Galko has talked about this as well. I am with you and Garrett, I just don't see them taking Bolles at 7, if they trade down then I am ok with it.

Granted, we're talking about the guy who took Texas State's Craig Mager in the 3rd round, but a WR from a mid-major conference (which the MAC constitutes) hasn't gone in the Top 15 since 1999 (Troy Edwards, 13th overall to the Steelers out of LA Tech). Then throw in that because of his injury, Davis hasn't been able to run for teams at all during this entire pre-draft process - and that with regard to receivers, speed sells at a high premium and is typically what pushes a guy up draft boards. Davis is honestly more likely to go outside the Top 20 than he is to go inside the Top 10.

I think getting Bosa at #3 last year spoiled a lot of people on "getting value." #7 in this draft isn't a spot where you're going to "get great value out of the pick" unless there are at least 2-3 trades inside the Top 5 or some major brainfarts/reaches occurring therein. And if Ereck freakin' Flowers can go Top 10, Bolles sure as heck can.


Yeah, you might be right about us being spoiled about last year's draft in terms of value at 3. TT did take DJ at 11 in 2013, and that isn't much separation from 7.

As for Davis, you are right about the injury and small school stuff. But IMO, he seems like a better fit for what the Chargers do on offense and actually need, when compared to Williams. (red-zone help and someone who can sustain drives, which we lacked with Keenan being out).


To be fair, 2013 was definitely the worst draft class of recent memory, probably up there with all time, almost nobody hit with a pick that year.

As far as Davis, the thing is that there was never any questions about his athleticism. He may be a 4.5 guy, but his quickness/agility are top level at the position. He actually kind of has the same vibe as Keenan Allen did at Cal. A WR that was decently tall (but not 6'3"+) and incredibly quick, but plays bigger and more physical than his size suggests, and while he's not the fastest, he's a nighmare with the ball in his hands. I don't see him being the pick either, but I would much rather have him than Williams (though I would think Williams would be an FO favorite).

I think the key factor is going to be whether or not the coaching staff is willing to take on guys with character issues. Because that could drastically change the pick here, and that is completely yet to be seen.

I think Bolles has gotten way overhyped. I don't think he's bad or anything, but I think he's got a little bit to go before he's a good NFL OT. I still have Ramczyk over him, and potentially Robinson too (who I've cooled on a little).
_________________


MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group