Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers 2017 draft thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should we draft
Myles Garrett
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Jalen Tabor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marlon Humphrey
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marshawn Lattimore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jamaal Adams
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Deshaun Watson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cam Robinson
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Other
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Chargers 2017 draft thread Reply with quote

One thing is clear, We have the talent, but we don't have the coaching, or correct strength and conditioning trainer, or the ability to recognize that NFL Games are 60 minutes as opposed to 58 minutes, and most of all, WE NEED AN OWNER COMMITTED TO WINNING

WHAT DO WE NEED

Let's see here.

Myles Garrett: Bosa and Garrett could hopefully become the next Miller and Ware

CB: Jalen Tabor, Marlon Humphrey, or Marshawn Lattimore . When it comes to those three, I want the one that can stay healthy because all 3 are good, I just want the one that will be on the field next time Verrett tears his ACL and I want whoever it is to be mean and not one of these choir boys that we seem to draft. I would prefer Jalen Tabor when it comes to these 3 CB'S But I am looking to see how Tabor does against calvin ridley and the A&M WR Corps, and I'd like to see how Humphrey does against the A&M Corps. And when it comes to Lattimore, I'm expecting to face 3 seeded Clemson in the playoffs and then Bama in the finals. If Lattimore can shut down the Clemson Corps and calvin ridley, he may be the guy.

Safety: I'm not considering Jabril Peppers because it's clear that he is a LB Like Deone Buchanan and Su'a Cravens in the middle and so far, I'm impressed with Perryman and Jatavis. JAMAAL ADAMS IS THE GUY WE SHOULD CONSIDER AT SAFETY. That guy is a thumper, covers a lot of ground and I think he and Mccoil would be a solid safety Corps. Plus LSU DB'S Have been very solid in the league.

QB: grooming rivers replacement should be something that we strongly consider. I think Watson should be the obvious choice. I think Kizer is overrated AF, And Kaaya isn't better than Watson. Plus Watson is one of those qbs that brings excitement and could put asses in seats when we move to LA. Watson can learn a lot from Rivers about the NFL Game.

Offensive line

Our linemen are extremely injury prone and need to be replaced with high quality lineman and Cam Robinson is the most ideal fit. This need can be addressed in free agency too.

DT: Should be addressed in free agency
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myles Garret

Mike McGlinchey if he does come out and we can't land Garrett.
-Connor McDermott from UCLA is another Left Tackle prospect that might be around in the 2nd. I would rather target him if possible than select a guy like Cam Robinson with our 1st. Not a fan of Bama lineman (i.e. Warmack, Fluker, Andre Smith, James Carpenter, Koundjo, etc.) in general . Yes their are "outliers" like Ryan Kelly who looks to be solid, but overall I am not a fan of the guys 'Bama has been churning out.

*Edit-I do like DJ Fluker as a player/person, but wasn't enamored with him as a "Tackle" prospect and also "overall need" (i.e. preferred Lotuleilei). I think he is average-above average, but inconsistent overall. He has been better than most of the other Bama lineman.

Forrest Lamp (LT, Western Kentucky) is the next in line prospect like: Weston Richburg/Joel Bitonio/Mike Iupati, guys that were studs at "smaller" schools in Div 1 and likely will play on the interior O-line somewhere. He and J.J. Dielman would be two guys I would look at in the middle rounds, although Lamp could certainly rise on draft day in similar fashion to Logan Mankins.

I think it's obvious Left Tackle is our biggest question mark on the Line, that is of higher priority even in the scenario we don't retain Fluker. Dunlap's availability has been spotty, and Hairston is garbage. Dan Feeney from Indiana is another highly rated Guard, if we target an Offensive Tackle in the 1st I highly doubt we "double dip" and take a Guard in the second (I think we target a DB, WR, or Edge player).

Budda Baker (S) and Elijah Quals (NT) are two underclassman from Washington who are studs. Baker is undersized and Quals might possibly be a two down player, but both are guys to keep an eye on.

I haven't seen any sort of Sammy Watkins or AJ Green type of prospect in the WR pool. I don't watch a lot of East Coast/Clemson football but I know they have the general #1 ranked WR prospect (forget his name).

What's the opinion on Malik McDowell from Michigan State?

If we did "miss out" on Myles Garrett, do we look at other EDGE player's or turn to a more traditional interior defensive lineman (NT/DT). I like the idea of drafting a NT like Quals or Lotuleilei who could sub in for Mebane and likely take over in the future. Those guys are legit prospects and not projects like Carretthers.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
Myles Garret

-Connor McDermott from UCLA is another Left Tackle prospect that might be around in the 2nd. I would rather target him if possible than select a guy like Cam Robinson with our 1st. Not a fan of Bama lineman (i.e. Warmack, Fluker, Andre Smith, James Carpenter, Koundjo, etc.) in general . Yes their are "outliers" like Ryan Kelly who looks to be solid, but overall I am not a fan of the guys 'Bama has been churning out.

*Edit-I do like DJ Fluker as a player/person, but wasn't enamored with him as a "Tackle" prospect and also "overall need" (i.e. preferred Lotuleilei). I think he is average-above average, but inconsistent overall. He has been better than most of the other Bama lineman.

Forrest Lamp (LT, Western Kentucky) is the next in line prospect like: Weston Richburg/Joel Bitonio/Mike Iupati, guys that were studs at "smaller" schools in Div 1 and likely will play on the interior O-line somewhere. He and J.J. Dielman would be two guys I would look at in the middle rounds, although Lamp could certainly rise on draft day in similar fashion to Logan Mankins.

I think it's obvious Left Tackle is our biggest question mark on the Line, that is of higher priority even in the scenario we don't retain Fluker. Dunlap's availability has been spotty, and Hairston is garbage. Dan Feeney from Indiana is another highly rated Guard, if we target an Offensive Tackle in the 1st I highly doubt we "double dip" and take a Guard in the second (I think we target a DB, WR, or Edge player).

Budda Baker (S) and Elijah Quals (NT) are two underclassman from Washington who are studs. Baker is undersized and Quals might possibly be a two down player, but both are guys to keep an eye on.

I haven't seen any sort of Sammy Watkins or AJ Green type of prospect in the WR pool. I don't watch a lot of East Coast/Clemson football but I know they have the general #1 ranked WR prospect (forget his name).

If we did "miss out" on Myles Garrett, do we look at other EDGE player's or turn to a more traditional interior defensive lineman (NT/DT). I like the idea of drafting a NT like Quals or Lotuleilei who could sub in for Mebane and likely take over in the future. Those guys are legit prospects and not projects like Carretthers.

There's no chance in hell that TT touches Cam Robinson's off the field problems, so that won't be a worry at all. Besides him, I'm not sure there's a LT I'd touch in the first round. All of them have a lot to fix.

Lets be honest, we need to end this top overall pick. Teams that are about 5 minutes of actual football from being 5-0, are not in contention for that pick, not a chance....move on.

I'm not really sure where you're coming up with the whole LT thing. I think we need more depth there, but in terms of major needs, I don't see LT as one. If you told me you want a project/depth guy in the 2nd-4th, I'm all about that. But we take a guy in the first, and he's likely sitting until King Dunlap gets hurt, which, absolutely is a concern, but not a PRIMARY concern IMO.

And I'm not even sure why you're talking about OG's, even if we don't retain Fluker, I'm pretty certain we're set there, between the potential of Tuerk potentially stepping in as our starting C next year, and moving Slausen back to OG, or (what seems more likely with the way they've played) putting Spencer Pulley, who's absolutely SHOWN OUT in limited snaps right into the starting lineup at RG. We shouldn't even be considering drafting an IOL, as we have starters, backups and future starters galore. Also JJ Dielman is absolute trash. One OG I am interested in though, is Freddy Tagaloa. I like him as a project OT, and he's played LT for Arizona all last year. He's a great athlete and is probably a OT in the NFL IMO.

Again, quit talking about whatever elite caliber prospect you're trying to look for (AJ Green/Sammy Watkins...), its not going to happen, and its dumb. There's plenty of good options at WR this year. Michael Williams, Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis, the Michigan duo, among a bunch of others. A guy I could see us going after if he can bulk up some is Darren Carrington, fits a LOT of what we like about Keenan Allen.

My Opinion on Malik McDowell is....why....? What exactly does he bring to this team? We have all of our DL positions set....where are you slotting him in? I like him as a player, because of his crazy power and getoff, but I don't see anywhere for him to fit and play consistently on this team without screwing up a bunch of our other pieces, especially now that we've seen what Joey Bosa is capable of.

I think we need a future guy at NT as well, so Qualls might work there. And honestly I think we need someone at ILB and we should let Te'o walk. But that depends on what we see in Brown and if we want him to continue to start. Same goes for McCoil at FS, I really like him in the future, but not sure I wanted to hand the keys over to him just yet. But I think he's our FS and not our SS like what Eric Weddle played. He's a guy you want to roam in the deep FS type role, so I could actually see us going after a Jabril Peppers type SS, who can play deep but is comfortable dropping down into the box rather than a FS, Earl Thomas type that Budda Baker is.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Highboltage55 wrote:
Myles Garret

There's no chance in hell that TT touches Cam Robinson's off the field problems, so that won't be a worry at all. Besides him, I'm not sure there's a LT I'd touch in the first round. All of them have a lot to fix.

Lets be honest, we need to end this top overall pick. Teams that are about 5 minutes of actual football from being 5-0, are not in contention for that pick, not a chance....move on.

I'm not really sure where you're coming up with the whole LT thing. I think we need more depth there, but in terms of major needs, I don't see LT as one. If you told me you want a project/depth guy in the 2nd-4th, I'm all about that. But we take a guy in the first, and he's likely sitting until King Dunlap gets hurt, which, absolutely is a concern, but not a PRIMARY concern IMO.

And I'm not even sure why you're talking about OG's, even if we don't retain Fluker, I'm pretty certain we're set there, between the potential of Tuerk potentially stepping in as our starting C next year, and moving Slausen back to OG, or (what seems more likely with the way they've played) putting Spencer Pulley, who's absolutely SHOWN OUT in limited snaps right into the starting lineup at RG. We shouldn't even be considering drafting an IOL, as we have starters, backups and future starters galore. Also JJ Dielman is absolute trash. One OG I am interested in though, is Freddy Tagaloa. I like him as a project OT, and he's played LT for Arizona all last year. He's a great athlete and is probably a OT in the NFL IMO.

Again, quit talking about whatever elite caliber prospect you're trying to look for (AJ Green/Sammy Watkins...), its not going to happen, and its dumb. There's plenty of good options at WR this year. Michael Williams, Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis, the Michigan duo, among a bunch of others. A guy I could see us going after if he can bulk up some is Darren Carrington, fits a LOT of what we like about Keenan Allen.

My Opinion on Malik McDowell is....why....? What exactly does he bring to this team? We have all of our DL positions set....where are you slotting him in? I like him as a player, because of his crazy power and getoff, but I don't see anywhere for him to fit and play consistently on this team without screwing up a bunch of our other pieces, especially now that we've seen what Joey Bosa is capable of.

I think we need a future guy at NT as well, so Qualls might work there. And honestly I think we need someone at ILB and we should let Te'o walk. But that depends on what we see in Brown and if we want him to continue to start. Same goes for McCoil at FS, I really like him in the future, but not sure I wanted to hand the keys over to him just yet. But I think he's our FS and not our SS like what Eric Weddle played. He's a guy you want to roam in the deep FS type role, so I could actually see us going after a Jabril Peppers type SS, who can play deep but is comfortable dropping down into the box rather than a FS, Earl Thomas type that Budda Baker is.

Jabril will be a LB Like Su'a Cravens and Deone Buchanan.

If we go safety, we should trade back a few spots and draft Jamaal Adams
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabrill doesn't have to be a linebacker

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:

He's best suited at LB. We are doing fine at LB.

Honestly, If Garrett is there for us, we need to take him. If we go DB, I Prefer CB over safety because Verrett keeps getting injured
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Honestly, If Garrett is there for us, we need to take him. If we go DB, I Prefer CB over safety because Verrett keeps getting injured

He could still play Strong Safety at a very high level, Deone Buchanon is kind of an "outlier", he fits AZ's scheme as the money backer but could still play a traditional SS role similar to TJ Ward, Kenny Vaccaro, etc

Lowery is just a short term band aid, Addae plays reckless and is injured yearly, McCoil/Philips are young/raw, so I think the current state of our Cornerbacks are in better shape ( " on paper "). If Flowers isn't here next year then by all means we can use another Corner but IMO Safety needs to be upgraded via the draft. I would need to go back and look it up, but it seems like the last time we drafted a Safety it was Brandon Taylor and that feels like eons ago.

* I do like the potential idea of McCoil st FS with a potential Peppers at Strong Safety, with Addae resigned as depth ( should he choose to stay ).
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

He could still play Strong Safety at a very high level, Deone Buchanon is kind of an "outlier", he fits AZ's scheme as the money backer but could still play a traditional SS role similar to TJ Ward, Kenny Vaccaro, etc

Lowery is just a short term band aid, Addae plays reckless and is injured yearly, McCoil/Philips are young/raw, so I think the current state of our Cornerbacks are in better shape ( " on paper "). If Flowers isn't here next year then by all means we can use another Corner but IMO Safety needs to be upgraded via the draft. I would need to go back and look it up, but it seems like the last time we drafted a Safety it was Brandon Taylor and that feels like eons ago.

* I do like the potential idea of McCoil st FS with a potential Peppers at Strong Safety, with Addae resigned as depth ( should he choose to stay ).

I like the idea of getting Darian Stewart from Denver and playing mccoil at strong safety like Kam Chancellor

Darian Stewart and dexter mccoil is solid in my book.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

He's not necessarily best suited at LB. He'd be fine at S. He's a super athlete. He can play all over.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Highboltage55 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

I like the idea of getting Darian Stewart from Denver and playing mccoil at strong safety like Kam Chancellor

Darian Stewart and dexter mccoil is solid in my book.

I have no idea why everyone keeps penciling McCoil into an in the box role...just because he's big. Let alone the Chancellor comparisons. It's laughable...

If you've ever watched him play, he's FAR more of a true FS type than he is an in the box guy. He's actually not too unlike George Iloka from the Bengals. He's long and rangy, but he's honestly somewhat soft, and doesn't really love hitting people like Kam. I mean he's a decen't-good tackler, but I don't want him to play in the box....at all.

I think Peppers is much better suited for that role that you're talking about. And there's no chance he's a LB at the next level, unless a team wants to bulk him up and play that "moneybacker" position that the Cards use. Basically every other S to LB convert that you can use (Mark Barron, Cravens, even Landon Collins, though he plays some S but is almost always in the box) was placed there because they either outgrew the S position entirely, or because they weren't athletic enough to play S. Deone Buchannon is kind of the black sheep there, but they just use him as a playmaker.

Peppers is a 205 lb S that's big, strong and fast enough to play LB because that's where Michigan needed the help. IMO he definitely moves back to a playmaker type SS in the NFL. I could see him playing a little like TJ Ward does for the Broncos.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

He's not necessarily best suited at LB. He'd be fine at S. He's a super athlete. He can play all over.

Until it's definitive on where he will play, it's hard to consider him. Don't get me wrong, I love players like Deone Buchanan, but if peppers destiny is at MLB, We don't need him.

But also, after last night's fantastic win, who knows where we will be picking. Maybe we could have a chiefs like run like they had last year and if that's the case, maybe we take Charles Walker or am offensive lineman, or a talented CB
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying into the hype of Malik Hooker right now. The range he plays with and just the turnovers. We'd have to move down out of the top 10 to get good value but a ball hawk gives us what this defense has been missing for a long time.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I'm buying into the hype of Malik Hooker right now. The range he plays with and just the turnovers. We'd have to move down out of the top 10 to get good value but a ball hawk gives us what this defense has been missing for a long time.

He's pretty good, and I'm saying that as a buckeye fan, but as a chargers fan, I'd prefer Jamaal Adams. Hookers stock is rising
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the half-way point of the season, so might as well look at the Roster:

QB-set (maybe take a "flier" on a guy like Patrick Mahomes in the mid rounds if he declares)

RB-set: At the start of the season I was "all-aboard" the Christian McCaffrey train to San Diego. He likely is a borderline 1st-2nd rd. pick and at this point it would be a "luxury" to draft another RB after the resources we spent on Gordon (in addition to his emergence).

-I would love to bring Woodhead back on a two year deal

FB-set

WR- Keenan Allen is a stud and a #1 but his health is always a concern. TBen was a FA acquisition and will have to play better next year. The emergence of Tyrell Williams was big, guy can be a true #2 and I feel we don't need to target a WR early (Rounds 1-3) due to his great play so far.

TE-set: Love Hunter Henry's blocking and "hands of glue", would like to add someone potentially in Free Agency like Mychal Rivera (Raiders). McGrath is a "blocking" tight end and we don't know if Gates is coming back. Rivera is balanced and still somewhat young.

O-line: Slauson, Tuerk, Pulley are all here to stay. Fluker I think most likely will "test the waters" and sign elsewhere for more $. He is inconsistent and hasn't progressed as we would have liked thus far (RT-->RG). Franklin looks like a Free Agent bust, way too inconsistent as well. I think playing in Denver and especially Peyton Manning made him look better than he actually was ("fools gold"). Dunlap and Barksdale are a mixed bag. Barksdale's regression the past few weeks has killed us, and Dunlap seems to always have moments where we "hold our breath" due to another whack to his head. It is time to "groom" a potential replacement.

D-Line: We could look at a youthful Nose Tackle to groom behind Mebane, but otherwise our Defensive Line rotation has been a strong-point of the team. Liuget IMO hasn't played to his contract, but is still a good player. Mebane is a rock at the Nose and is a great rotational player. Bosa is the truth. Caraun Reid (before injury) was lighting it up, especially for a guy "signed off the street" right as the season started. Between Reid and Palepoi I like our depth on the interior D-Line.

Backers: Perryman and Jatavis Brown are the future. Toomer has been a pleasant surprise (especially in coverage) and we just drafted Perry so I think we are set at ILB depth.

In terms of "pass rushers" / OLB's we need to lock up Ingram now. He has in my opinion "turned the corner" and looks good out there. Bosa definitely helps his cause, but he has been making plays each week and we should re-sign him before he "hits the market". I am bummed on Attaouchu-he has been in the "doghouse" and now is dealing with injuries again. Hopefully he can get on the field and step it up. Emmanual IMO is just another guy.

Corners- Verrett and Hayward are both studs, and I don't think Flowers is brought back based on his contract. Mager has been inconsistent but actually played ok when thrusted into action. We could use more depth at DB.

Safety-Easily the weakest link in terms of skill and experience, I think we should invest in a new starting safety, but the Chargers have shown they really don't put a premium on the Safety position. As others have mentioned on here, I think a move to FS for McCoil would be better for him while we can look for a new starting Strong Safety. I would bring back Addae as depth, but if he is offered big money elsewhere let him leave.

So in terms of evaluation I think we should really target the Safety position or Offensive Tackle in the first to second round.

The Jabril Peppers "hype" train is gaining full steam so I don't know if we will be in contention for him, but he seems to be a true "playmaker" (not necessarily a ball-hawk). I still like Mike McGlinchey the OT from Notre Dame. He said he will return to school, so did Will Fuller this time last year. It's possible that Tuerk will be ready next year, so the possibility of Slauson "sliding" to Guard (replace Fluker?) could happen.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
At the half-way point of the season, so might as well look at the Roster:

QB-set (maybe take a "flier" on a guy like Patrick Mahomes in the mid rounds if he declares)

RB-set: At the start of the season I was "all-aboard" the Christian McCaffrey train to San Diego. He likely is a borderline 1st-2nd rd. pick and at this point it would be a "luxury" to draft another RB after the resources we spent on Gordon (in addition to his emergence).

-I would love to bring Woodhead back on a two year deal

FB-set

WR- Keenan Allen is a stud and a #1 but his health is always a concern. TBen was a FA acquisition and will have to play better next year. The emergence of Tyrell Williams was big, guy can be a true #2 and I feel we don't need to target a WR early (Rounds 1-3) due to his great play so far.

TE-set: Love Hunter Henry's blocking and "hands of glue", would like to add someone potentially in Free Agency like Mychal Rivera (Raiders). McGrath is a "blocking" tight end and we don't know if Gates is coming back. Rivera is balanced and still somewhat young.

O-line: Slauson, Tuerk, Pulley are all here to stay. Fluker I think most likely will "test the waters" and sign elsewhere for more $. He is inconsistent and hasn't progressed as we would have liked thus far (RT-->RG). Franklin looks like a Free Agent bust, way too inconsistent as well. I think playing in Denver and especially Peyton Manning made him look better than he actually was ("fools gold"). Dunlap and Barksdale are a mixed bag. Barksdale's regression the past few weeks has killed us, and Dunlap seems to always have moments where we "hold our breath" due to another whack to his head. It is time to "groom" a potential replacement.

D-Line: We could look at a youthful Nose Tackle to groom behind Mebane, but otherwise our Defensive Line rotation has been a strong-point of the team. Liuget IMO hasn't played to his contract, but is still a good player. Mebane is a rock at the Nose and is a great rotational player. Bosa is the truth. Caraun Reid (before injury) was lighting it up, especially for a guy "signed off the street" right as the season started. Between Reid and Palepoi I like our depth on the interior D-Line.

Backers: Perryman and Jatavis Brown are the future. Toomer has been a pleasant surprise (especially in coverage) and we just drafted Perry so I think we are set at ILB depth.

In terms of "pass rushers" / OLB's we need to lock up Ingram now. He has in my opinion "turned the corner" and looks good out there. Bosa definitely helps his cause, but he has been making plays each week and we should re-sign him before he "hits the market". I am bummed on Attaouchu-he has been in the "doghouse" and now is dealing with injuries again. Hopefully he can get on the field and step it up. Emmanual IMO is just another guy.

Corners- Verrett and Hayward are both studs, and I don't think Flowers is brought back based on his contract. Mager has been inconsistent but actually played ok when thrusted into action. We could use more depth at DB.

Safety-Easily the weakest link in terms of skill and experience, I think we should invest in a new starting safety, but the Chargers have shown they really don't put a premium on the Safety position. As others have mentioned on here, I think a move to FS for McCoil would be better for him while we can look for a new starting Strong Safety. I would bring back Addae as depth, but if he is offered big money elsewhere let him leave.

So in terms of evaluation I think we should really target the Safety position or Offensive Tackle in the first to second round.

The Jabril Peppers "hype" train is gaining full steam so I don't know if we will be in contention for him, but he seems to be a true "playmaker" (not necessarily a ball-hawk). I still like Mike McGlinchey the OT from Notre Dame. He said he will return to school, so did Will Fuller this time last year. It's possible that Tuerk will be ready next year, so the possibility of Slauson "sliding" to Guard (replace Fluker?) could happen.

At TE, I fully agree, but I doubt it'll happen. I think we get a better blocking TE than McGrath (who's been awful IMO). But with Gates/Henry, I think the team will stay cheap with the backups, so most likely McGrath/Cumberland, or we get a late round draft pick.

You seriously need to give a break to the OL. I mean in the last 4 weeks, they've faced Von/Ware/Ray x2, Beasley/Clayborne, and Mack/Irvin. Thats a STUPID lineup of pass rushers in such a short span. And for large parts of that stretch, Barksdale has been put on an Island. He's gotten beat, but overall he really hasn't played that terribly.

Also you're just flat out wrong on Franklin. He's been probably our best OL to this point (F your (not aimed specifically at you...lol) PFF grades saying Slausen is). He's played at an elite level this year. He was a trainwreck last year, but he's been a flat out force this year, and is a BIG reason for MGIII's breakout year.

I'm convinced that we should let Fluker walk. He's another guy that's been crucial in MGIII's development, but he's also going to get Rivers KILLED. He just doesn't seem like he's mentally prepared for games. He's constantly late picking up blitzes/stunts and has missed a TON in the last few games. I can't deal with it anymore (I think he's part of the reason that Barksdale has looked worse than he actually is, because they see the pressure coming from the edge rusher, but don't realize its Fluker's responsibility. Pulley is my dude, ever since week one. He's flat out, outplayed Turek, and can start at any 3 IOL positions we need (he's played all of them at some point this year). I don't think Tuerk's a guy we just flat out give up on either, but you play the best guy regardless of where (or if) he was drafted. Pulley's done nothing but shown me that he can play on the level of a legitimate starter in this league. Turek hasn't shown me that yet, but coming off an injury and with Slausen being as steady as ever, I wouldn't expect him to this early. I'd be willing to let Slausen play out his career and have Turek succeed him. I agree, Hairston is a TERRIBLE backup for how injury prone our OT's are. We need to get a guy who can come in and learn for a year, and be ready to step up. I'd honestly think about talking to the Bengals about Jake Fisher, since he hasn't been given a shot yet (and is stuck behind Ogbueghi and Whitworth is as consistent as ever. But I'm biased in that regard.

Emmanuel is another guy who really just doen't get credit for what he does. He's on the same level as guys like Ninkovich, or Eric Walden or something like that. He really don't do anything spectacularly, but he's very solid in coverage, and is a really tough block vs the run, especially since he's lined up outside of Bosa quite a bit.

I think we need a new top end CB. We need to get someone to be a #2/#3 hybrid. Whether the staff thinks that Mager could be that guy has yet to be seen. But I'd be all for Moving on from Flowers. He's definitely not a bad player, and when him and Verrett are on, they're on, but he levels out to a solid #2 CB but is just flat out unreliable. Honestly, he's making a lot, but other than someone on a rookie contract, we're not getting much better value. So unless we're taking a rookie high (like top 3 rounds), I'm not sure there's anyone else worth it much more than him.

McCoil, as much as people want to disagree because "HES BIG THOUGH", is definitely a FS. I like to point out that he's pretty similar as a player to George Iloka (and could be as good with some grooming), and has an extremely similar skillset. He's never going to be the "enforcer" type. I'd LOVE to add Peppers or Jamal Adams to pair with him, but I'm not sure I see it happening, with all the talk from TT about S being a devalued position and really not emphasizing it (though he was heavily involved in the Tashaun Gipson sweepstakes last year). There's a few decent S's in FA's this year that probably won't cost a whole ton, and a bunch of decent 2nd/3rd rounders, so I'd be we go that rout.

Its tough to figure out this year. As LBC has pointed out, TT has been pretty blatant in his past drafts, where he's taken biggest need in round 1, but I don't think there's a clear cut biggest need this year. S is the obvious one, but even with that, and with Adrian Phillips starting games, is hasn't really hurt us that bad once we got Brown and Toomer playing on passing downs (though there's definitely been some lapses in coverage deep, like Julio's long pass last week). Other than that, the talent really hasn't been that huge of a problem IMO.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: