Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kirk Cousins is our long term answer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
I'm glad Scot didn't spend all the cap by over paying or getting marginal players we have locked up for years on the cap.getting those players last year may marginally help in one year but hurt in the next few years

Doc's life advice- Sometimes when the bar or club is finally closing its better to go home alone than with a lizard that might make you feel good that night but you will be visiting the doctors in three days
This is a great analogy actually lol.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
I'm glad Scot didn't spend all the cap by over paying or getting marginal players we have locked up for years on the cap.getting those players last year may marginally help in one year but hurt in the next few years

Doc's life advice- Sometimes when the bar or club is finally closing its better to go home alone than with a lizard that might make you feel good that night but you will be visiting the doctors in three days
I didn't say just sign marginal players. The players I'm taking about we passed on are difference makers and are the players who are reasons their teams went to the playoffs, are contenders and they are pro bowlers.

And also, the better "marginal" aka role players you have, the better your team is. For example, if we have better "marginal players" at NT, RDE, ILB and SS, I think oir defense is top 15 even without those players being pro bowler caliber and that gets our team to 11-5 or better.

Like what if we had Danny Trevathan, Jerrell Freeman, Zach Brown or even just Daryl Smith at ILB, Mike Mitchell or Eric Weddle at one of our S positions or even his just someone better than Whitner, Bruton and Nacho or at NT we had Snacks Harrison or even a Brandon Mebane, Vince Wilfork, Corey Peters, Haloti Nagata or Letroy Guion.

We have these guys and we are a top 15 and a contender to go with our #3 offense.

I think we can be that next year rather easily if we sign two good to great feee agents on defense, replace Djax with a lesser cost deep threat like Kenny Stills or Kamar Aiken or someone else who won't cost $10 plus million a year, we draft a mid round interior OL and re-sign Nsekhe and John Sullivan to compete with Long, Kouandijo and our draft pick for the starting interior OL positions.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

I didn't say just sign marginal players. The players I'm taking about we passed on are difference makers and are the players who are reasons their teams went to the playoffs, are contenders and they are pro bowlers.

And also, the better "marginal" aka role players you have, the better your team is. For example, if we have better "marginal players" at NT, RDE, ILB and SS, I think oir defense is top 15 even without those players being pro bowler caliber and that gets our team to 11-5 or better.

Like what if we had Danny Trevathan, Jerrell Freeman, Zach Brown or even just Daryl Smith at ILB, Mike Mitchell or Eric Weddle at one of our S positions or even his just someone better than Whitner, Bruton and Nacho or at NT we had Snacks Harrison or even a Brandon Mebane, Vince Wilfork, Corey Peters, Haloti Nagata or Letroy Guion.

We have these guys and we are a top 15 and a contender to go with our #3 offense.

I think we can be that next year rather easily if we sign two good to great feee agents on defense, replace Djax with a lesser cost deep threat like Kenny Stills or Kamar Aiken or someone else who won't cost $10 plus million a year, we draft a mid round interior OL and re-sign Nsekhe and John Sullivan to compete with Long, Kouandijo and our draft pick for the starting interior OL positions.

I see your point. Makes sense. I cant recall but didn't many of us laugh at the money giants paid on DL last year as it seemed very excessive. What did snacks and that other De get? Maybe there is a new reality out there that you have to pay more. I also believe Barry didn't want a space eating nose tackle like snacks because he preferred a smaller penetrating NT for his super successful defensive scheme. Smile
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:
Seriously - This is the first time in 20+ years that we know we got a guy that can do it. My entire adulthood of being a skins fan has circled around what are we going to do at QB. I remember pulling into work listening to who is better, Rex Grossman or Todd Collins. Now we have a guy who leads the team and throws for over 4000 yards (almost 5k) for two straight seasons and we are pulling every ridiculous reason that he isnt worth commiting to? Craziness. I am so excited that QB is not the worry that we have. We put together a solid D, stop letting anybody run for any amount of yards that they want to against us, and we are serious players. Dumbfounded that this is a conversation.

When those 4000 yards turn into Playoff wins and SBs than I'll be excited instead of being constantly disappointed.
The only way to find the answer to this is to retain Cousins on the most financially prudent way possible which is a long term deal - not the franchise tag again - and use the extra cap space to sign defensive free agents and retain our own free agent.

It's very short sided to do anything else but a long term deal when there are no other better options or nothing else that would be a sure thing.

Acting like 4000 and nearly 5000 yard seasons don't mean jack is preposterous. We have a qb who for two where has done something that no other qb in the team's history and is breaking team records year after year. Giving that up doesn't make much sense. Kirk needs to be retained on a long term deal and we need to continue to build a super bowl contender around Kirk.

Thats your opinon Turtle and your entitled to that. He also goes into the category of players who have done nothing for this team to win a playoff game or SB so once again I wouldnt give him anything more than 25 million a year on a 5 year deal with a way out in year 3. Imma leave it there and wait and see how things actually go. I'm pretty sure they will offer him a fair deal but he may want more money elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

I see your point. Makes sense. I cant recall but didn't many of us laugh at the money giants paid on DL last year as it seemed very excessive. What did snacks and that other De get? Maybe there is a new reality out there that you have to pay more. -I also believe Barry didn't want a space eating nose tackle like snacks because he preferred a smaller penetrating NT for his super successful defensive scheme. Smile
Well, I don't think Barry ever said that. People who analyzed and know how the defense is run said that in articles and beat reporters said that because in the scheme he ran - which 2 or 3 teams have won Super Bowls with this century - it's a hybrid scheme 3-4/4-3 scheme and the NT and one of our DEs play just one gap, not two. One DE plays the gap In between the OT & OG, and the NT plays left of right shoulder of the C and they shoot the gap. The NT is not a zero technique NT that two gaps.

I'll also add that the NTs that we started the season off with the past two seasons were 360 and 330 pounds, they weren't exactly small.

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:
Seriously - This is the first time in 20+ years that we know we got a guy that can do it. My entire adulthood of being a skins fan has circled around what are we going to do at QB. I remember pulling into work listening to who is better, Rex Grossman or Todd Collins. Now we have a guy who leads the team and throws for over 4000 yards (almost 5k) for two straight seasons and we are pulling every ridiculous reason that he isnt worth commiting to? Craziness. I am so excited that QB is not the worry that we have. We put together a solid D, stop letting anybody run for any amount of yards that they want to against us, and we are serious players. Dumbfounded that this is a conversation.

When those 4000 yards turn into Playoff wins and SBs than I'll be excited instead of being constantly disappointed.
The only way to find the answer to this is to retain Cousins on the most financially prudent way possible which is a long term deal - not the franchise tag again - and use the extra cap space to sign defensive free agents and retain our own free agent.

It's very short sided to do anything else but a long term deal when there are no other better options or nothing else that would be a sure thing.

Acting like 4000 and nearly 5000 yard seasons don't mean jack is preposterous. We have a qb who for two where has done something that no other qb in the team's history and is breaking team records year after year. Giving that up doesn't make much sense. Kirk needs to be retained on a long term deal and we need to continue to build a super bowl contender around Kirk.

Thats your opinon Turtle and your entitled to that. He also goes into the category of players who have done nothing for this team to win a playoff game or SB so once again I wouldnt give him anything more than 25 million a year on a 5 year deal with a way out in year 3. Im a leave it there and wait and see how things actually go. I'm pretty sure they will offer him a fair deal but he may want more money elsewhere.
There are countless reasons we haven't run a super bowl for 25 years and why we didn't win one the last two years that Cousins has been our best starting QB in 30, maybe 40 years. First and foremost the rest of our team - except our LT, right side of our OL, WRs, TE, LCB and punter - weren't good enough to help our qb win a super bowl or even make the playoffs. Good examples over the years are Dan Marino, Elway before 98-99, Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers and also Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers broke records but didn't win Super Bowls until they had a great team around them. Brees and Rodgers won super bowls last decade not only because of their 4,000 and 5,000 yd seasons but also because their defense's and special teams were excellent, same with Brady and Manning.

As for the bolded, for the umpteenth time, this is not an accurate description of what his long term contact will look like. For one, his cap hit won't be that high for the first few years of the deal and two, the only thing that truly matters is guaranteed $ and about $40 to $50 million (or 1/3) of any long term qb deal for an above average qb signed in today's market isn't guaranteed.

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:

Thats your opinon Turtle and your entitled to that. He also goes into the category of players who have done nothing for this team to win a playoff game or SB so once again I wouldnt give him anything more than 25 million a year on a 5 year deal with a way out in year 3. Imma leave it there and wait and see how things actually go. I'm pretty sure they will offer him a fair deal but he may want more money elsewhere.

Hehe...you seriously haven't been watching any of our games then.

As for what they might offer him, that is surely up in the air. We'll see. I doubt it will be what he is worth but in negotiations that is to be expected from the side who is paying the money

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl

Last edited by Thaiphoon on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:

Sonny Jurgensen. Hall of Famer. Considered to be amongst the best Redskins QBs ever.

How many winning seasons did he have as a Redskins QB?

How many playoff games did he win as a Redskins QB?

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:

Thats your opinon Turtle and your entitled to that. He also goes into the category of players who have done nothing for this team to win a playoff game or SB so once again I wouldnt give him anything more than 25 million a year on a 5 year deal with a way out in year 3. Im a leave it there and wait and see how things actually go. I'm pretty sure they will offer him a fair deal but he may want more money elsewhere.
There are countless reasons we haven't run a super bowl for 25 years and why we didn't win one the last two years that Cousins has been our best starting QB in 30, maybe 40 years. First and foremost the rest of our team - except our LT, right side of our OL, WRs, TE, LCB and punter - weren't good enough to help our qb win a super bowl or even make the playoffs. Good examples over the years are Dan Marino, Elway before 98-99, Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers and also Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers broke records but didn't win Super Bowls until they had a great team around them. Brees and Rodgers won super bowls last decade not only because of their 4,000 and 5,000 yd seasons but also because their defense's and special teams were excellent, same with Brady and Manning.

As for the bolded, for the umpteenth time, this is not an accurate description of what his long term contact will look like. For one, his cap hit won't be that high for the first few years of the deal and two, the only thing that truly matters is guaranteed $ and about $40 to $50 million (or 1/3) of any long term qb deal for an above average qb signed in today's market isn't guaranteed.

You're talking to a wall. He's demonstrated he has no clue as to what starting NFL QBs are worth and how contracts are structured.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:

You're talking to a wall. He's demonstrated he has no clue as to what starting NFL QBs are worth and how contracts are structured.
I know, and crazy enough I said I'd stop commenting on this topic because of some people's way off points and told you and Mknight you were waiting your time also. Then, I got bored and went back to it. Laughing

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

‪Kirk Cousins wins the internet with Scarbrough tweet - NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000772341/article/kirk-cousins-wins-the-internet-with-scarbrough-tweet‬

21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:

And for the umpteenth time I wouldn't sign him to a long term deal unless you consider 5 years with a option the 3rd year long term. Brady, Rodgers, Marino, Elway, Brees, Manning all made big plays when needed to get there team over the hump! Kirk had a bad game last year against the Packers in the playoffs and a bad game this year when it was a must win to get us in the playoffs. He's not in the class of Brady, Rodgers, Elway, Brees, or Manning when it comes down to decision making or trust going into a game compared to those guys in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
daskins wrote:

Hehe...you seriously haven't been watching any of our games then.

As for what they might offer him, that is surely up in the air. We'll see. I doubt it will be what he is worth but in negotiations that is to be expected from the side who is paying the money

Yea I'm just making this all up. We are the best team in the league and Kirk Cousins was the MVP of the league and where on our way to the Super Bowl right? Kirk didnt throw two picks in the game against the Giants? Yea i haven't watched any games this season!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
And for the umpteenth time I wouldn't sign him to a long term deal unless you consider 5 years with a option the 3rd year long term. Brady, Rodgers, Marino, Elway, Brees, Manning all made big plays when needed to get there team over the hump! Kirk had a bad game last year against the Packers in the playoffs and a bad game this year when it was a must win to get us in the playoffs. He's not in the class of Brady, Rodgers, Elway, Brees, or Manning when it comes down to decision making or trust going into a game compared to those guys in my book.
If teams only re-signed HOF QBs, no one would have any QBs.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
If teams only re-signed HOF QBs, no one would have any QBs.

I dont think I said I wouldn't resign him, I said I would only resign him for the right price. Brady making more or asking for more than 25 million per year? Think he's turned down plenty of chances to increase his salary but hasnt and still makes no names look like Greats!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 47 of 100

Jump to: