Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kirk Cousins is our long term answer
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mozwanted


Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 17427
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Kirk Cousins is our long term answer Reply with quote

We need to be patient. Its his 2nd year starting. He has already shown he can carry a team with his arm and no running game. If we continue to be patient i think he will eventually be elite consistently. It takes time to play at a high level with consistently.

Just remember guys he is the offense. He is the reason we cna even move the ball. Defenses know that. Let him keep developing. The fact we are 3-2 with no running game and one of the worst defenses in the league in amazing. Lets hope the defense can keep improving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
jarlmaster47


Joined: 15 Mar 2016
Posts: 846
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Kirk Cousins is our long term answer Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
We need to be patient. Its his 2nd year starting. He has already shown he can carry a team with his arm and no running game. If we continue to be patient i think he will eventually be elite consistently. It takes time to play at a high level with consistently.

Just remember guys he is the offense. He is the reason we cna even move the ball. Defenses know that. Let him keep developing. The fact we are 3-2 with no running game and one of the worst defenses in the league in amazing. Lets hope the defense can keep improving.


I disagree about the no running game part. We do have a running game. It's not amazing but it is functional and is much better than it was last year. The ravens have an excellent run defense as well.

Also I don't know how much longer we can keep saying that we have a terrible defense. This defense has only allowed 6 points in the second half of the last 3 games. This defense forced a 3 and out on the majority of the Ravens drives. This defense won us this game and more or less won us the game last week.

With regards to Cousins, I agree completely. He's our guy. He played a mostly excellent game in horrendous weather conditions (50mph winds!!). That being said, he really has to stop forcing stupid passes. Maybe the wind helped cause the ball to sail yesterday on that INT but even so Cousins shouldn't have thrown that ball. This is the 3rd week in a row that he has thrown a stupid pick. At least Cousins has kicked the habit of throwing one pick and then totally falling apart. He's learning and getting there but that is one issue that has remained that REALLY needs to be fixed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 80316
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last 16 games we are 10-6 with him as our QB with a bad to below average defense and bad running game the pat two years. Seems like we can do much worse than him if we aren't going to re-sign him.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FosterTheSkins


Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 719
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument from me. Every quarterback has a bad game and will struggle; especially when they're first starting out. The Redskins should resign him.
_________________

Sig made by Deadpulse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 18713
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cousins is good enough to win with. That's better than we've had at QB for a long time.

Kirk Cousins is not going to be a HOF QB. He's never going to be a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees type of talent. He'll never be the QB that single-handily wins you QBs off of his sheer ability. But you know what? Getting one of those guys is like winning the lottery, they just don't come around very often.

If we fix the problems with our roster we can compete for a title with Cousins, I honestly believe that. To do that we're going to need stability in the coaching staff, continued development from our young players, and likely two more solid offseasons to build the defense.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lavar703


Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 7144
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been incredibly average this season with more negatives than positives. He's not a young, developing QB anymore and he basically cannot break his tendency to stare down receivers. He is what he is at this point. He'll win you some games and lose you some games but he's not worth paying what we'll have to to keep him.

Seriously look at the disasters going on in Miami and Chicago because they decided to just pay an average player elite money. This will be the redskins two years from now. If Kirk will accept a team friendly deal for around 17-18 mil per year than I'd be all for it. If he asks for $20+mil a year than I let him walk. He's not an elite player or anywhere close to one and should not be paid as such.
_________________
Dashing is the greatest FF poster ever
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 5816
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ all the above post completely --BUT----I'm not ( Well I'm not in any event ) paying him over say 14-15 million a year .. no way no how, not now not never.. unless he goes completely crazy the rest of way which I don't see.
How many of you guys think we 'd still be 3-2 w/ McCoy starting.? I do .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 18713
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
I agree w/ all the above post completely --BUT----I'm not ( Well I'm not in any event ) paying him over say 14-15 million a year .. no way no how, not now not never.. unless he goes completely crazy the rest of way which I don't see.
How many of you guys think we 'd still be 3-2 w/ McCoy starting.? I do .
The yearly average will be inflated by some back end non guaranteed years. I doubt he will actually cost us more than $14-15 mil against the cap.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jarlmaster47


Joined: 15 Mar 2016
Posts: 846
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
He's been incredibly average this season with more negatives than positives. He's not a young, developing QB anymore and he basically cannot break his tendency to stare down receivers. He is what he is at this point. He'll win you some games and lose you some games but he's not worth paying what we'll have to to keep him.

Seriously look at the disasters going on in Miami and Chicago because they decided to just pay an average player elite money. This will be the redskins two years from now. If Kirk will accept a team friendly deal for around 17-18 mil per year than I'd be all for it. If he asks for $20+mil a year than I let him walk. He's not an elite player or anywhere close to one and should not be paid as such.


He's not elite (though he certainly can play that way) and he's not going to be a hall of famer but he is WAY better than Cutler and Tannehill. We have to just suck it up and pay him. Kirk IS the reason why we aren't Miami or Chicago. We're better than Miami and Chicago at most positions anyway BUT the biggest difference is that our QB is better.

I'm tired of people saying he's not a HOF or in the conversation with Brady and others as reasoning against Kirk. That doesn't matter. The redskins don't need a HOF QB to be successful. Considering the years and years of QB issues we've faced, I can't believe people are harping on the guy who's been a big part of our recent success. We should all be ecstatic that we have someone like Kirk. We're going to overpay Kirk and that's just how it's going to be.

Also, to all the haters who say Kirk is terrible against good defenses, what do you say to yesterday's game? Kirk completed 71 percent of his passes in extremely windy conditions to beat a team with a very solid defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 80316
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the notion that we would regret the signing in 2 or 3 years. Kirk is not the aloof nut job that both Cutler and Tanehill are. Sure Kirk has had a few mental lapses in games but Cutler seriously doesn't care about anything but getting paid and Tanehill doesn't even know all of the divisions and teams in the NFL, he could care less, more or less Tanehill is there just for a paycheck also.

I equate Cousins more to Dalton and while the Bengals haven't won a playoff game with Dalton yet, everyone knows that team is a good team that will contend every year for at worst a division championship for as long as he's the Bengals QB.

Cousins hasn't played like a pro bowler by he has played better than average and sadly, in today's QB market better than average gets you paid ... around ... $20 M a year. I don't like it either but facts are facts. Kirk is well on his way to throwing for around 65%, 4,500 yards, 22 + tds and 16 or so ints.

I just don't see how you don't keep him. I like Mccoy and his running abilities and ability to make some off schedule throws but st the same time McCoy is not always on time with his throws, he doesn't have great arm strength and he too will have brain farts on plays and make poor decisions.

We don't keep Cousins and I think we regress as a team before we improve and we may take years or many years to improve to where we currently are now.

Re-sign Kirk, fix the defense and re-sign Djax. Then, we'll talk playoff wins IMO.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG


Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 80316
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
I agree w/ all the above post completely --BUT----I'm not ( Well I'm not in any event ) paying him over say 14-15 million a year .. no way no how, not now not never.. unless he goes completely crazy the rest of way which I don't see.
How many of you guys think we 'd still be 3-2 w/ McCoy starting.? I do .
The yearly average will be inflated by some back end non guaranteed years. I doubt he will actually cost us more than $14-15 mil against the cap.
That's what I think also and we can use the extra $ to improve our DL.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheGreeK1973


Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 1500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
I agree w/ all the above post completely --BUT----I'm not ( Well I'm not in any event ) paying him over say 14-15 million a year .. no way no how, not now not never.. unless he goes completely crazy the rest of way which I don't see.
How many of you guys think we 'd still be 3-2 w/ McCoy starting.? I do .


You show me a QB other than the rookies who has a long term contract for that little money. And don't say that abomination of a QB for the Jets because if there is a single fan that would take him over Cousins he is a troll not a fan.

We have played 5 games. I will be the first one to admit I expected a little more from Cousins but looking back to last year, he caught fire week 7. This game coming up will be huge for us and him.

We all agree this is a show me year, well lets see where we are in the end of the season. One thing is for sure, win or lose, no one will say this guy was not tested with our schedule this year. Another thing to consider, take a look around the league and then where we would be drafting. No QB I rather have than KC, not even close. And no way I want to bet the farm to move up and draft a rookie like we did with RGIII and destroy this team's ability to add quality players.

So in my mind we are stuck, thus why I have stated over and over that Scott made a mistake of not pulling the trigger on Cousins for 18 million per because he would have taken it. He may still take it if he continues to show up and down performance. if he blows up again this year like last year however, forget it. He is costing us at least 22+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 18932
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really good points by everyone (pro and con)

I just have one question:

Can we now put to bed the notion that we haven't beaten a winning team or a good defense with him at QB?
_________________


As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl


Last edited by Thaiphoon on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheGreeK1973


Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 1500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Some really good points by everyone (pro and con)?

I just have one question:

Can we now put to bed the notion that we haven't beaten a winning team or a good defense with him at QB?


Not unless we bring another notion why he sucks as a QB Thai. How about he has not won against rookie QBs. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TKellion


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 1728
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being old enough to remember,I will say that Cousins has played just as well as Rypien played in 1990.We all know what Rypien did in 91,but in 90 he was just as raw and developing as Cousins is now.Not saying we are going to the superbowl next year.Not with our defense.But KC can grow and improve just as Rypien did.I read certain posters using every reason they can to flame Cousins.But do you really want to put McCoy in there Laughing .I dont Evil or Very Mad .I would rather start Sudfield than put McCoy in because he will never be even as good as Cousins.Get over your hate and figure out that this team is only going as far as KC takes it for better or worse. Twisted Evil
_________________
Posts: 6666=Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group