You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 College Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
As of now, I'd really prefer to see us move down in Round 1, maybe as far as the top 3 picks in Round 2, but no further than that. I think one of the OTs will still be available and we can also gain more picks.

I'd be livid if Denver traded up for a lineman as PFF seemed to suggest. If we wasted a Top 100 pick in a trade for one of these average OLs, that would be a HUGE mistake.

I think the disagreement would be in your definition of average. If you're referring to the top 3 OT's, they're anything but average.

Bolles is one of the quickest most athletic big men I've ever seen. He's off the charts. Add in his demeanor and he's quite rare, almost generational. He's got technique and aggression issues (too many flags) but those can be coached.

Ramczyk is as pro ready as an LT can be with no real issues outside of medical.

Robinson may never be able to transition well to the left side but should start racking up pro bowls on the right side early in his career.

Add to that the plethora of quality edge rushers not only in our division but the NFL as a whole and guys like the above are more valuable than ever.

Personally I'd be mildly surprised if any are left at 20. Given the OL needs of teams drafting behind us someone will take the leap and move up to grab one.

Regardless of the talk of McCoy opening up the offense, without drastically improved play from our OT's we're relegated to a dink and dunk offense.

I'd be very confident at least one of the 3 T's will be there at 20 - perhaps even all 3.

Let's walk it through:

1. CLE - going Garrett, no doubt (or if they don't, GM should be fired).

2. SF - likely to trade down, but they aren't going OL. Likely to go Soloman Thomas if they stay, but if they move down, CB, other EDGE would be their target.

3. CHI - Jonathan Allen, or Foster, or Trubinsky.

4. JAX - Allen, CB or Fournette

5. TEN - either going with Jamal Adams / elite CB here, and then WR at 18. Could even go S/CB for 5 & 18, but seems like one of the top 3 WR's a natural fit at 18, and 1 of them should be available.

6. Jets - if they don't go QB, then they again are likely going D - EDGE, DL, CB, you name it, they need it.

7. LAC - Malik Hooker or Adams, depending on who's left. S is a huge hole and fits overall BPA.

8. Carolina - just way too early to go T here. They need a shutdown CB, pass rush EDGE, or they go RB. Too many options to see T here. McCaffrey rumors are rampant here if Fournette is off the table, but BPA if they go off RB really fits the board for their D needs.

9. CIN - either they shore up ILB with Rueben Foster, or they go WR/RB here.

10. BUF - they will take Foster if no one else takes him, or they go elite CB here - if they veer off to O, OJ Howard. Again their biggest needs fit with overall BPA.

11. NO - either elite CB, or McCaffrey, or EDGE. Having 32 gives them options to go BPA. T not at all a need.

12. CLE - likely goes Trubinsky or Howard here. If both are gone, then that means an elite CB is likely around, so you see that as a natural Plan B.

13. ARI - either they address WR or they address QBOTF with a Mahomes like selection.

14. PHI - this teams needs CB badly. Likely needs to get 2 CB's from the draft. On the off chance they try and get cute and wait, RB is the natural fit.

15. IND - this is where Hassan Reddick gets a ton of love. If not him, CB or RB again are fits. By now, you could see 3 RB's off the board.

16. BAL - with Ronnie Stanley in as their LT, I don't see T. WR seems like an obvious fit here. At this stage, if ARI went QB, there might not be any WR off the board yet, and hard to see BAL passing. Even if only 1 WR is off the board, hard to see BAL passing.

17. WAS - if IND passes on Reddick, again hard to see WAS passing on ILB. Or they get the 2nd CB to pair with Josh Norman, or EDGE. D is their crying need now.

18. TEN - they are probably secretly praying only 1 WR is off the board by now, but even if Williams/Davis are off the board, John Ross likely goes then. If not him, then with an aging #1 TE (Delanie Walker is 32), going elite TE esp. if only Howard is off the table, is a pretty solid plan B.

19. TB - pass rush, or RB (if one of the top 3 are gone), seems like a natural fit. Again, if somehow one of the top 3 CB's aren't gone, could see that as well.

I know you said there could be trade-up scenarios - but I don't know that teams will want to trade back to 20's for what they are looking for. If you look at what teams are looking for (RB - there's a clear top 2-3 tier, WR - top 3 tier, EDGE - 3-4 guys above the next tier, S - top 2 way above, QB - no special elite guy, but Trubinsky/Mahomes and maybe Watson interest most teams, Kizer would be a project, TE-wise Howard and Njoku separated themselves, same for Foster and Reddick at ILB). Ironically, teams that want OL help like the 20's slot - overall BPA wise, it fits way better.

Anything is possible, but I think the only trades to move up will be for teams that either want McCaffrey badly who are in the teens (and need to move up a little, we're way too far back to move up that much, and we have so many needs to fill our 2018+ roster that we aren't in a position to give up a Day 2 pick), or more likely, teams want to move past NYG/HOU to get their QBOTF.

The most likely scenario is we dont' move at all, but if I were to guess, I'd think we could move to 25 or 27 as a way for HOU or KC to get their QBOTF. Obviously if it's KC, we would not give the pick away without getting premium value, you never help an in-division foe unless you win the trade outright value-wise. It's why I think a HOU-DEN scenario if there's noise that NYG & HOU are thinking about the same QB comes up.

Last edited by Broncofan on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with AKRNA that the top OT's are underrated in general, but the gap between Bolles/Ramczyk/Robinson is so slight (IMO) that dealing up for one would be foolish. We may not have our pick of all three at #20, but I suspect at least one is available. And any of the three would be good picks there (Even if Robinson is limited to RT, he is ready to maul from day 1, he actually may have the biggest immediate impact of the three even if his long term projection isn't quite as good).

Sit at 20, or deal down a bit. Really not feeling a trade up. We need to get 4 starters with our first four picks. We are not a LT or a McCaffery away from a complete team. Sit pat, watch the board play out, deal down if necessary but most important, try to come out of the top 100 picks with four players that can contribute immediately, preferably two starters and two guys that can get 50+% of the snaps at their respective positions by midseason. That's my goal. We need talent after our poor (Arguably poor based on unrealistic expectations but I would say poor regardless) free agent season.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
As of now, I'd really prefer to see us move down in Round 1, maybe as far as the top 3 picks in Round 2, but no further than that. I think one of the OTs will still be available and we can also gain more picks.

I'd be livid if Denver traded up for a lineman as PFF seemed to suggest. If we wasted a Top 100 pick in a trade for one of these average OLs, that would be a HUGE mistake.

I think the disagreement would be in your definition of average. If you're referring to the top 3 OT's, they're anything but average.

Bolles is one of the quickest most athletic big men I've ever seen. He's off the charts. Add in his demeanor and he's quite rare, almost generational. He's got technique and aggression issues (too many flags) but those can be coached.

Robinson may never be able to transition well to the left side but should start racking up pro bowls on the right side early in his career.

Add to that the plethora of quality edge rushers not only in our division but the NFL as a whole and guys like the above are more valuable than ever.

Personally I'd be mildly surprised if any are left at 20. Given the OL needs of teams drafting behind us someone will take the leap and move up to grab one.

Regardless of the talk of McCoy opening up the offense, without drastically improved play from our OT's we're relegated to a dink and dunk offense.

The bold is dead on, we can't compete for Super Bowls without edge protection. Hell, we won't figure out if any of our QB's can actually be solid NFL QB's without better edge protection. The fact that we've invested in young QB's and have no interest in protecting them is mind boggling and extremely frustrating, something I've been harping on for over 2 years now.

As far as the OT draft prospects are concerned, I'm with you AKRNA I think this is setting up for someone to get a steal. I'm most a fan of Ramczyk. I agree Cam probably is very good on the right side and potentially a Pro-Bowl guard, but I do like him better as a fit in the new power scheme we'll be running next year. Bolles gives me pause for the simple fact that "older" prospects don't often pan out, but his demeanor and his skill set I absolutely love.

I don't care that pundits call this a bad OT class. Scouts and draft pundits have no idea what they're looking at in OT prospects right now. They're so lost, there's been some huge busts the last 5 years with OT's picked very early who were deemed "can't miss" by pundits and scouts - so when it comes to OT prospects, I'm not putting much faith in the opinions of draft pundits.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only count 12 offensive guys that really get true first round grades (excluding the QBs, who'll probably get pushed up but aren't true first round calibre franchise guys)

Fournette, McCaffrey and Cook

Davis, Ross and Williams

Howard and Njoku

Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles and Lamp

Would be pretty surprised if one of those 12 guys isn't a Bronco in 9 days time.

Fify.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching some tape earlier on Chris Wormley from Michigan and he kinda reminds me of Derek Wolfe in his last year of Cincinnati, would be a solid pick in the second round especially since early returns on Gotsis haven't been great.

Fify.
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I absolutely respect your opinion AK, but I could not disagree with your assessment any more.

Garrett Bolles is not a generational talent. He has exceptional lateral agility and a mean streak, but at the same time has pass blocking concerns, he's extremely light and his lower body does not have the ideal build for a lineman. He's not without flaws, his age not withstanding.

LT's are premium in the NFL, if any of these guys were as good as they are being positioned, they would be off the board by the first 10-15 picks. The reality is they are the best of a weak class. There's quite a bit of defensive talent that could be around when we pick, particularly at linebacker. I also think Corey Davis would be around which would represent TREMENDOUS value to this team.

All that said, I am not usually a huge fan of trading down, but I think it's actually our best option this year. I'd like to trade with Cleveland- 20 for 33 and their other second round pick. I'd move back in the first round as well if a team wants to jump ahead for a QB. Denver needs more impact players- I think quite a few rookies can and should make the team as we need to get younger and cheaper from a roster standpoint.

I can very easily see Elway picking Cam Robinson for a few reasons. Robinson has played at an excellent school and has faced top notch competition- something consistent with many of Elway's early picks. He was also a multi year starter and has a great build for the position. Second, Robinson offers positional versatility that Bolles and Ramczyk don't. If he fails as an LT, he could be an RT or a guard. I don't see that out of the other two, frankly. Robinson is a little bit of a lunger, but I think his "want to" is there.

Overall I see it like this-

Bolles- best agility/athlete for the position. Great tenacity, but has weight, age and some technique concerns.
Robinson- best build for the position, faced the best competition, has positional flexibility. Not a slam dunk at LT, can get worked by speed rushers.
Ramczyk- best technician of the group and comes from a pro-ready offense. One year wonder with questions about his desire and has a hip injury.
Lamp- offers full flexibility for any position on the OL. Plug and play OG, with potential as an OT somewhere. Short arms and played weaker competition, but his tape holds up against the good teams.

Given this- I would rank it: Lamp, Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Counselor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect us to take Robinson if he is available. He fits the power scheme. However the Ravens are high on him and Ozzie loves him those Bama guys.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robinson would be a great pick. His fit at RT brings me back to the Franklin days and I cant explain enough how much I miss that man crushing fools in the run game. And I actually like the idea of giving Menelik Watson a starters chance at LT.

Lamp should be the pick if available. He is an elite talent, but I think we force the OT pick before we take an OG.

Quote:
I can very easily see Elway picking Cam Robinson for a few reasons. Robinson has played at an excellent school and has faced top notch competition- something consistent with many of Elway's early picks. He was also a multi year starter and has a great build for the position. Second, Robinson offers positional versatility that Bolles and Ramczyk don't. If he fails as an LT, he could be an RT or a guard. I don't see that out of the other two, frankly. Robinson is a little bit of a lunger, but I think his "want to" is there.

This is a great post. We also clearly want to get back to a power scheme and Cam fits that role very well, definitely projecting as more of a mauler than Bolles or Ramczyk. And the positional versatility is a great insight. I see little positional versatility with Bolles or Ram, they are pure LT's and I don't like either as a fit in a power scheme at OG or RT.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
I have heard the Broncos were thinking about trading back with Cleveland for their 33rd overall pick. Could the Broncos pick up Even Engram at 33rd?

If Joe Thomas is part of the deal I'd be all over that, like a fat guy all over a seafood buffet.

33 and Joe Thomas would rate JT as a 3rd round pick. We'd probably trade up to select a QB as well. So it wouldn't make sense to dump a starting LT if you want a rookie QB.

Here's one, it's a pipe dream but you never know.

Denver trades:
A player (Shaq Barrett? Emmanuel Sanders?)

Cleveland trades:
Joe Thomas

At #12 Denver drafts Christian McCaffery. The two picks we give up in exchange for #12 are roughly equal according to the Jimmy Johnson trade chart, meaning the player we send to Cleveland would have be roughly equal as well. A younger player at a position of need for the Browns could be enough to convince them to part ways with an older Joe Thomas.

I am thinking you could have McCaffrey at #33. Why not trade #20 and trade back to get #33 and another second round pick. Then you get McCaffrey, Evan Engram, and Malik McDowell. I am not sure if you can swing getting Joe Thomas in that deal...maybe Shaq Barrett and a future pick?

If McCaffrey is still available after the first 15 picks that would be a major surprise. Talk of him going top 10 is all around, the helium on him is that crazy. Personally I'd avoid paying to move up for him but the idea of addressing LT & using assets to move up at a key spot or two is sound - given how short RB shelf lives tend to be I don't like paying there. I agree with B67 that we need 3-4 2018 starters from this draft and while McCaffrey is a special talent RB is the easiest position to find talent and the one with perhaps the shortest lifespan.

It's flawed to look at McCaffrey as a RB in the same mold as, say, CJ Anderson. Because ordinarily I would agree with you, traditional RBs are not a premium position that is worth paying that big of a price for. But McCaffrey is player that defenses will have to account for on every play, he can be lined up just about anywhere in the formation as well as contribute as KR and PR, something we desperately need.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
I thought this article was pretty interesting.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/16/garett-bolles-predraft-visit-broncos/

Basically Joseph states that:
1) Broncos' will draft BPA at a position of need. That's a new position.
2) We need two good OT's to handle the speed rushers in our division.

Also, as pm mentioned, we've revisited two of the top 3 OT's in the last week. Unless this is more Elway misdirection (something he is quite good at) I'd be almost surprised if we didn't take any of the top 3 OT's available at our pick.

I will be awfully disappointed if we take one of the OTs at #20. I don't see any of them being anything better than average NFL starters and Robinson having sky-high bust potential.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
I thought this article was pretty interesting.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/16/garett-bolles-predraft-visit-broncos/

Basically Joseph states that:
1) Broncos' will draft BPA at a position of need. That's a new position.
2) We need two good OT's to handle the speed rushers in our division.

Also, as pm mentioned, we've revisited two of the top 3 OT's in the last week. Unless this is more Elway misdirection (something he is quite good at) I'd be almost surprised if we didn't take any of the top 3 OT's available at our pick.

I will be awfully disappointed if we take one of the OTs at #20. I don't see any of them being anything better than average NFL starters and Robinson having sky-high bust potential.

I think there is merit to them potentially being BPA at #20. That being said, I think there's better value in picking one if you trade back some.

I actually see Bolles as the biggest bust potential. His age and technique problems don't bode well for him based on historicals.

Even if you take Robinson and he flames out at tackle, he'll be able to theoretically kick inside.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
I have heard the Broncos were thinking about trading back with Cleveland for their 33rd overall pick. Could the Broncos pick up Even Engram at 33rd?

If Joe Thomas is part of the deal I'd be all over that, like a fat guy all over a seafood buffet.

33 and Joe Thomas would rate JT as a 3rd round pick. We'd probably trade up to select a QB as well. So it wouldn't make sense to dump a starting LT if you want a rookie QB.

Here's one, it's a pipe dream but you never know.

Denver trades:
A player (Shaq Barrett? Emmanuel Sanders?)

Cleveland trades:
Joe Thomas

At #12 Denver drafts Christian McCaffery. The two picks we give up in exchange for #12 are roughly equal according to the Jimmy Johnson trade chart, meaning the player we send to Cleveland would have be roughly equal as well. A younger player at a position of need for the Browns could be enough to convince them to part ways with an older Joe Thomas.

I am thinking you could have McCaffrey at #33. Why not trade #20 and trade back to get #33 and another second round pick. Then you get McCaffrey, Evan Engram, and Malik McDowell. I am not sure if you can swing getting Joe Thomas in that deal...maybe Shaq Barrett and a future pick?

If McCaffrey is still available after the first 15 picks that would be a major surprise. Talk of him going top 10 is all around, the helium on him is that crazy. Personally I'd avoid paying to move up for him but the idea of addressing LT & using assets to move up at a key spot or two is sound - given how short RB shelf lives tend to be I don't like paying there. I agree with B67 that we need 3-4 2018 starters from this draft and while McCaffrey is a special talent RB is the easiest position to find talent and the one with perhaps the shortest lifespan.

It's flawed to look at McCaffrey as a RB in the same mold as, say, CJ Anderson. Because ordinarily I would agree with you, traditional RBs are not a premium position that is worth paying that big of a price for. But McCaffrey is player that defenses will have to account for on every play, he can be lined up just about anywhere in the formation as well as contribute as KR and PR, something we desperately need.

I completely agree with you on McCaffrey skill set being unique. It's just that RB careers are so short even for outside guys when they get used regularly. Wear and tear or injury are like death and taxes. And if it only meant 4-5 years of peak production I'd be fine with that. But even that's a stretch. The lifespan of "weapon" mismatch type hybrid guys is so short, often 2-3 years of tantalizing brilliance mixed with shortened careers. Maybe he is the exception but paying to move up and losing Day 2 picks is a major mistake. The 20 pick would be a huge risk by itself. Adding to it makes it a no brainer to pass IMO if Day 2 picks are needed.

Mccaffrey looks like Reggie Bush. The elite USC version. Who would have been a better fit for today's era. But injuries and wear and tear shortened his peak. Made him the lesser version. Why I don't value RB in Rd 1 unless they can withstand wear and tear and even then I hesitate.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mccaffrey looks like Reggie Bush. The elite USC version. Who would have been a better fit for today's era. But injuries and wear and tear shortened his peak. Made him the lesser version. Why I don't value RB in Rd 1 unless they can withstand wear and tear and even then I hesitate.

I think McCaffrey will be a better runner than Bush, but I still question his abilities to run between the tackles. If you cant run between the tackles and churn yards, you cant be a 3 down RB. Now, the thing with McCaffrey that is so unique is that, even if he cant prove to be a between-the-tackles type, he is talented enough as a WR that you can split him out. So even when you sub at RB, you can keep him on the field, essentially giving you a 3 down player even if its not 3 downs at RB.

That's quite special, and covers a lot of bust potential, as the chance that BOTH his abilities to run between the tackles in college AND his ability to play as a true slot WR in college not translating are quite low. One or the other may not translate (I lean between the tackle running), but I cant see both busting and if both hit, he is an even better prospect.

That being said, I don't deal up to take him. We have too many holes and are not a player away, even if its special player like McCaffrey. And the shelf-life of RB does play a role in my hesitation to snag him. But if he is there at 1.20, I easily make the call.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I think McCaffrey will be a better runner than Bush, but I still question his abilities to run between the tackles. If you cant run between the tackles and churn yards, you cant be a 3 down RB. Now, the thing with McCaffrey that is so unique is that, even if he cant prove to be a between-the-tackles type, he is talented enough as a WR that you can split him out. So even when you sub at RB, you can keep him on the field, essentially giving you a 3 down player even if its not 3 downs at RB.

That's quite special, and covers a lot of bust potential, as the chance that BOTH his abilities to run between the tackles in college AND his ability to play as a true slot WR in college not translating are quite low. One or the other may not translate (I lean between the tackle running), but I cant see both busting and if both hit, he is an even better prospect.

That being said, I don't deal up to take him. We have too many holes and are not a player away, even if its special player like McCaffrey. And the shelf-life of RB does play a role in my hesitation to snag him. But if he is there at 1.20, I easily make the call.

Plus McCaffrey that I like is that he is a pretty good returner as well...the Broncos haven't had one of those in awhile...since Darian Gordon I think.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I can't argue the reasoning if he were there at 1.20 but as you said the risk is there even at that spot mainly due to longevity concerns with his position and size. Can't deny the skill set. Just a no brainer to pass if a big move up is required to get him. Moving up Rd 1 at that stage is just so expensive pick wise. It's what makes moving up in Day 2 at key points a stronger value play.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 55 of 69

Jump to: