Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 College Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
champ11


Joined: 14 Apr 2014
Posts: 5624
Location: CO -> ATX
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:
I legitimately did not see Gotsis make a play all season. That's a red flag, honestly.


Ya, that's what I said in another thread. I understand developmental guys, but even a developmental guy, especially a guy who you drafted based on physical profile, should splash infrequently. Gotsis played something like 18-20% of our defensive snaps and literally, not once, did I notice him make a play.

In preseason he was making a few, at least we can lean on that. But when the games started to matter, and the talent level of opposition was raised, he was totally useless. For a guy that was hyped as athletic, strong and stout, he always seemed to be on his butt or pushed back.

He should not even be relied on for backup reps next season. There is time, and potential, but he really was a 'ground up' project and that's just a mistake in the second round for a team with legitimate playoff aspirations IMO. I wont be satisfied with our 34DE depth unless we get four guys ahead of Gotsis. He shouldn't be playing right now.


I only noticed him on sideline shots when I was like "oh wow that dude is huge....oh it's Gotsis, that's right"

He definitely will not be winning a starting spot, or even entering the conversation next training camp.
_________________

team rammy

Joined: 3/10/2007
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
elliot878


Moderator
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 12242
Location: Connecticut
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Ya, you don't replace four OL starters in one offseason.

Paradis is clearly a keeper. After that, gun to my head, I keep Schofield. Cheap, upward trajectory at OG and versatile. He doesn't make huge mistakes in pass protection and rarely loses his initial assignment. Then again, while he rarely loses his initial 1v1, he never wins either and seems to get little, if any, true push in the run game. He is only an anchor, and those types are not hard to find.


I'm not saying you do, but you certainly aim to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 24121
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna keep beating the drum for Forrest Lamp. Draft him at 2.50. Plug and play OG with potential to kick to RT.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingBishop


Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 8255
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what olineman fit McCoys offense? Could OJ Howard be in play in this offense?
_________________
Favorite Players in this Class:

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iLikeDefense


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 3653
Location: San Diego--Mile High West
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
So what olineman fit McCoys offense? Could OJ Howard be in play in this offense?


If we were going based of what he had in SD, I'd say he (or TT) wanted big maulers with decent pass pro (rivers is very good at avoiding pressure). As we all know, they were dessimated with injuries the past two years. Interestingly enough at the C position, they sort of found there hardwick replacement albeit an old replacement in slauson. They are the quick tactician that have an mean streak which sort of reminds me of Paradis (less mean streak). I'm not too into the draft evaluation besides the players I happen to see when I do watch college football, so I guess anyone that fits that mold. However, like AKRNA and BB have mentioned, McCoy would most certainly adapt to his personnel and we don't know what sort of offense he will run.. maybe it is "fox ball" which wasn't run in SD.
_________________

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 20922
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
KingBishop wrote:
So what olineman fit McCoys offense? Could OJ Howard be in play in this offense?


If we were going based of what he had in SD, I'd say he (or TT) wanted big maulers with decent pass pro (rivers is very good at avoiding pressure). As we all know, they were dessimated with injuries the past two years. Interestingly enough at the C position, they sort of found there hardwick replacement albeit an old replacement in slauson. They are the quick tactician that have an mean streak which sort of reminds me of Paradis (less mean streak). I'm not too into the draft evaluation besides the players I happen to see when I do watch college football, so I guess anyone that fits that mold. However, like AKRNA and BB have mentioned, McCoy would most certainly adapt to his personnel and we don't know what sort of offense he will run.. maybe it is "fox ball" which wasn't run in SD.
Exactly, McCoy adapts his offense to fit his players. The last 2 years we tried adapting our players to fit an offense and never really saw the same offense from week to week or even quarter to quarter.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncosFan2010


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 3830
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could OJ Howard be in play in this offense?


Howard fits basically every offensive concept out there.

But a TE in R1? Don't see it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roar2014


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 980
Location: Broncos Country
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Gotsis we all knew he would be a long term developmental pick. He was thrown into the fire this year because of injuries and for the most part was tossed around because of poor pad leverage. While he didn't make many plays around the ball, lets not forget he is learning the sport as well as the system so there will be growing pains. I noticed him at times (not around the ball) toss his oppossing linemen. He had a great leverage and he looked dominant, I believe it was the NE game when I noticed this. I think year 2 he will make the biggest jump of his draft class becoming a non liability rotational play.

With this being said I still think we resign Vance and hopefully pursue Campbell or Richardson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 6912
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roar2014 wrote:
As far as Gotsis we all knew he would be a long term developmental pick. He was thrown into the fire this year because of injuries and for the most part was tossed around because of poor pad leverage. While he didn't make many plays around the ball, lets not forget he is learning the sport as well as the system so there will be growing pains. I noticed him at times (not around the ball) toss his oppossing linemen. He had a great leverage and he looked dominant, I believe it was the NE game when I noticed this. I think year 2 he will make the biggest jump of his draft class becoming a non liability rotational play.

With this being said I still think we resign Vance and hopefully pursue Campbell or Richardson


I read an interesting article about him the other day. Might have been on the Bronco's site.

He discussed his recovery from surgery and how long it's taken to get confidence in his knee. Also talked about the size and speed he encountered that was completely new to him.

The really bright side is, he's only planning on taking a few weeks off before returning to Dove Valley. He sounds very dedicated to improving his strength, play and conditioning and repeatedly talks about personal accountability.

Lets hope that translates to improved play on the field next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 9213
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most probably wouldn't agree with this and I'm not saying I'd pull the trigger either, but if WR Corey Davis was there at 20 he'd probably be the top player on my board.

His speed will be a bit of question until he runs, but on tape he looks plenty fast, lines up all over the field, take handoffs out of the backfield, is difficult to tackle, and can make people miss. He isn't bulky, but is 6'3" 210 or so.

All rookie receivers need work on their routes, but there aren't a lot of holes in that guys game.


Last edited by germ-x on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 3525
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I know most probably wouldn't agree with this and I'm not saying I'd pull the trigger either, but if WR Corey Davis was there at 20 he'd probably be the top player on my board.

His speed will be a bit of question until he runs, but on tape he looks plenty fast, lines up all over the field, take handoffs out of the backfield, is difficult to tackle, and can make people miss. He isn't bulky, but is 6'3" 210 or so.

All rookie receivers need work on their routes, but there isn't a lot of holes in that guys game.


Actually I don't mind it, because elite WR's are that valuable.

But if we do that, we have to have our LT and at least 1 other OL starter in FA, along with a 3rd 3-4 DE (I'm assuming we bring back Vance Walker, who makes for a great rotational 3rd 3-4 DE, but we don't want to rely on him as our 2nd). Then we can sit back and move up from our 2.50 to get our other OL if there's one of the top 3 plug-and-play OG's available in Rd 2 (Nelson, Lamp, Feeney).

Really I don't mind going overall BPA at 20. But if we do that it means we've addressed our 3 key needs through FA. With us having the $ to do that, I really want this, because drafts where pure BPA are taken Rd 1 are often the most successful.
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingBishop


Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 8255
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis is a top five player in this draft for me. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
_________________
Favorite Players in this Class:

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 9213
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
Davis is a top five player in this draft for me. I'd take him in a heartbeat.


I don't have him as a top 5 player. He isn't an exceptional talent in the form of Julio Jones or AJ Green. But, he is very well rounded. I have him as a 10-15 type of guy and my #1 receiver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 6912
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd freak out and start breaking every object within my grasp if we took a WR at 20. What? Are we gonna' redshirt him for 3 years behind Manny and DT?

Our last 3 #1's we've got a 3rd CB, a 3rd OLB, and a QB that has a very uphill climb to even contribute in 2017. At the same time we've let our OL and DL decline to some of the worst units with no depth in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ray and Roby and at the time we drafted them we didn't have the glaring needs we have right now. Drafting a WR this year would seem incredibly frivolous. Elway would have to change his tune a bit and add WR's to his "you can never have enough pass rushers and CB's."

Maybe it's just me, but I'd really like to see us get a 1st year starter out of this years #1. Not too tough to do if we concentrate on the trenches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 6912
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd freak out and start breaking every object within my grasp if we took a WR at 20. What? Are we gonna' redshirt him for 3 years behind Manny and DT?

Our last 3 #1's we've got a 3rd CB, a 3rd OLB, and a QB that has a very uphill climb to even contribute in 2017. At the same time we've let our OL and DL decline to some of the worst units with no depth in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ray and Roby and at the time we drafted them we didn't have the glaring needs we have right now. Drafting a WR this year would seem incredibly frivolous. Elway would have to change his tune a bit and add WR's to his "you can never have enough pass rushers and CB's."

Maybe it's just me, but I'd really like to see us get a 1st year starter out of this years #1. Not too tough to do if we concentrate on the trenches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 21 of 69

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group