Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 College Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
When do we find the comps out for sure?

Last year it was March 11th.

Side-note - forgot the draft is moving up to April. So I imagine we'd find out even sooner, as last year's draft was in May.

EDIT: I'm getting senile, it was end of April last year. Never mind.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
When do we find the comps out for sure?

Last year, the comp picks were announced on March 11th. In 2017, the 11th is a Saturday, so who knows when the announcement will come. Plus, the 2017 comp picks will be tradable so that might affect the announcement date. Free agency starts about then.

Upcoming dates:
February 28-March 6: Combine
March 9: Start of free agency
April 27-29: Draft weekend (in Philadelphia this year)
germ-x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
KingBishop wrote:
I don't want Ross in round one or two. But I believe he goes early

I know you weren't going there for us, no worries. And yeah, he probably goes top 50 as you said. I just can't rank him that highly given the 1-year record (the only exception I'll make is if there's a reason for not playing, like small school transfer/injury, but even then, sticking to the rule works out 9/10 times), but I'm not making the calls either LOL.

Either way, only helps others fall, hopefully to us, like you said.

Ross has also had 2 major knee injuries, IIRC, so medicals will be big for him as will his 40. Reportedly he ran a 4.25 in the spring, but if he's more of a 4.44 type of guy (the reports are usually generous) it will give teams pause as his speed was his best asset in college.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett Bolles, OT from Utah, is starting to get buzz as a possible 1st rounder. Some scouts are rating him as a middle-of-first-round pick.

Cam Robinson remains the highest ranked OT. Some scouts say he projects better as a RT or G, not a LT because he doesn't have the foot speed needed to control NFL speed rushers. Probably picked in the 10-15 range, but could drop if he doesn't do well at the combine.

Ryan Ramczyk looks like the next highest OT. Teams are waiting to see if he gets hip surgery (to repair a torn hip labrum) before the draft. His game film is solid (top player on top college O-line) but his medical condition is the big unknown. Probably picked in the 15-25 range, but he could drop if the surgery reveals a problem.

Garrett Bolles is a mauling OT. He has been a strong run blocker who can dominate. Probably picked at the bottom of the first round or in the second, but he could rise by draft day.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Garrett Bolles, OT from Utah, is starting to get buzz as a possible 1st rounder. Some scouts are rating him as a middle-of-first-round pick.

Cam Robinson remains the highest ranked OT. Some scouts say he projects better as a RT or G, not a LT because he doesn't have the foot speed needed to control NFL speed rushers. Probably picked in the 10-15 range, but could drop if he doesn't do well at the combine.

Ryan Ramczyk looks like the next highest OT. Teams are waiting to see if he gets hip surgery (to repair a torn hip labrum) before the draft. His game film is solid (top player on top college O-line) but his medical condition is the big unknown. Probably picked in the 15-25 range, but he could drop if the surgery reveals a problem.

Garrett Bolles is a mauling OT. He has been a strong run blocker who can dominate. Probably picked at the bottom of the first round or in the second, but he could rise by draft day.

25 and only one year of production really makes me hesitate on Bolles that early. Do like his mauling style but that late of a breakout comes with huge bust potential.

But anything that lets others fall to us in Rd 2-3 is a good thing.
germ-x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

25 and only one year of production really makes me hesitate on Bolles that early. Do like his mauling style but that late of a breakout comes with huge bust potential.

I have not watched Bolles yet, so other than what I've read, which is now that he's cleaned his life up he's dedicated to football, that he was a 5 star recruit, and that the Utah coaches believe he's the best OL they've seen, I can't form a legitimate opinion.

I will say the age part doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot to me, nor does it Elway, whose selected a few 24 year olds early in the draft. Obviously, I'd rather have a 22 year old, but if Bolles is the real deal he'd be capable of giving a team 8-10 years of great production which is (and I'm not saying Bolles is a 1st round pick) fully worth a 1st round selection.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

I have not watched Bolles yet, so other than what I've read, which is now that he's cleaned his life up he's dedicated to football, that he was a 5 star recruit, and that the Utah coaches believe he's the best OL they've seen, I can't form a legitimate opinion.

I will say the age part doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot to me, nor does it Elway, whose selected a few 24 year olds early in the draft. Obviously, I'd rather have a 22 year old, but if Bolles is the real deal he'd be capable of giving a team 8-10 years of great production which is (and I'm not saying Bolles is a 1st round pick) fully worth a 1st round selection.

I don't have a problem with age re: longevity of career, it's just that his success could be in large part to the size/strength advantage he'd have being physically maxed out at 25 vs. 20, 21 and 22 year olds who have yet to reach their physical peak. That just raises the bust potential, because even if he looks dominant (I don't doubt anything the Utah coaches say, but their observations don't say if he looked that way when he was 20, 21, 22, for example, vs. his age 24/25 years), it still could be in large part due to a physical edge that going to the NFL will negate. Even if it's not the only reason for his success, if it's one-third, one-half, or more than 1/2 the reason, that really drops his chances of 1st/2nd round worthy NFL success.

I get that steering away from 1-year pop-up guys early runs the risk of missing out on late true breakouts. It also avoids the much higher bust rate we see with such cases; when you add in a big age advantage, I'm just leerier. Taking older guys or 1-year popup guys is more reasonable as we draft later, given the whiff rate is high anyways - in Rd 1-2, with much higher hit rates (at least if you're not a Rd 2 Elway selection LOL)...well, you get the idea.

If he's an absolute freak in the Combine and takes out the elite DL's at the Senior Bowl, it would go a long way to consider breaking that rule. If he's just good-but-not-great, warning bells get louder. January/February will be huge for him.
KingBishop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age bothers me a lot for two reasons. Longevity and what broncofan said. Please no but knowing my luck he is our pick at 20. Remember I hated the sambrailo and Gotsis picks and was right. Don't care what you say about Gotsis he hasn't flashed anything. Bolles pick will be right there for me. It's like the Eagles taking Danny Watkins.

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class
KingBishop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it helps us that the Vikings traded their first to Philly. If we are looking Oline round one they are the one team that needs help there as much as us. Although Philly could take a T to replace lane who replaces peters.

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The age bothers me a lot for two reasons. Longevity and what broncofan said. Please no but knowing my luck he is our pick at 20. Remember I hated the sambrailo and Gotsis picks and was right. Don't care what you say about Gotsis he hasn't flashed anything. Bolles pick will be right there for me. It's like the Eagles taking Danny Watkins.

I don't like Bolles at #20. Very little track record of old, one-year-wonder type players being worth the R1 risk. And he simply wont be BPA at #20.

But, if he slips to our R2 pick, I take him and don't look back. He has a tenacity that cant be taught. Just a serial killer in the run game, but wins on effort and hand usage rather than brute strength (Like a Zach Banner). This bodes well for him in the NFL. He has an odd body type, but everyone projects him to test well. We will see, but I am liking the kid.

He has moved to my #3OT, but still has a R2 grade. Really pops off the screen when you watch Utah. Love his transformation as a person too.

Cam Robinson, even if limited to RT, is the best option if your looking for a day-1 starter. He can get by on pure talent and power from day 1 IMO. I have no issue taking a RT only at #20. And if he means we have to break from the ZBS, even better.

Ramczyk is probably the top LT prospect, but he has the same red-flags as Bolles. And doesn't play as mean. Probably a better athlete, though not by a wide margin, and better pass technique, but at this point I am prioritizing run blocking and mean streak so give me Bolles in a R2 trade up over Ramczyk at 1.20.

I hated the Ty and Gotsis picks too, although I let myself sip a bit of Gotsis cool-aid last TC. Bolles is a far better prospect than either.

In other news, after more research on Feeney, specifically his concussions, I wouldn't take him before 2.20. He is more of a medical bust risk than Bolles is a age/one-year-wonder type risk.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is weak where we need to add talent to regards to the oline so it'll be interesting to see what we Do. I'm not a fan of trading up because we need help on the d line.

I really think we could use another corner and running back since it's a strength of this class and we're good at scouting it.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This draft is weak where we need to add talent to regards to the oline so it'll be interesting to see what we Do. I'm not a fan of trading up because we need help on the d line.

I wouldn't advocate trading up from #20 but I think using one of our 3rd rounder's to move up in R2 would be a smart move.

Honestley, I don't think there is any way we use all five top 100 picks. We are going to consolidate. Its rare to have ammo that lets you trade up and still pick in the top 100 four times.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good overview of how compensatory picks might be awarded:
http://in-thinair.com/2017/01/06/2017-compensatory-pick-projection-for-the-broncos/

Best case: picks in rounds 3, 3, 4, 7
Worst case: picks in 3, 6, 7

A big unknown is how Okung's contract will be viewed. Is it viewed as the highest possible value? Or as a one-year deal with option years? If the compensation committee uses the highest value, the Broncos don't get a second pick in the 3rd round.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver needs to stay away from these "project players" with early picks. Adam Gotsis, Ty Sambrailo, Michael Schofield- these are guys with potential based on something (in Schofield's case I'm not sure what).

Instead, we need guys with high floors who can contribute. Denver has shown the ability to develop players, and starting at a high floor at least allows for some immediate contribution.

I would not want to see Denver reach on players simply because. That would be an awful approach to a very good draft. This is another strong defensive draft and Denver should take advantage. I wouldn't mind an early CB to replace Talib eventually. Or Roby. Either way.

Thanks, Tzimisce
KingBishop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
A good overview of how compensatory picks might be awarded:
http://in-thinair.com/2017/01/06/2017-compensatory-pick-projection-for-the-broncos/

Best case: picks in rounds 3, 3, 4, 7
Worst case: picks in 3, 6, 7

A big unknown is how Okung's contract will be viewed. Is it viewed as the highest possible value? Or as a one-year deal with option years? If the compensation committee uses the highest value, the Broncos don't get a second pick in the 3rd round.

I will be so upset if it's the worst... I don't expect the best.

I expect 3,4,6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 19 of 34

Jump to: