Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Norman & D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Norman & D Reply with quote

Julio showing us why we should have paid the guy. This defense is not the same defense from last year. Short looks bad. Davis slower.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But we don't pay corners big money, any corner can fit into our scheme"

Good work here Gettlemen...

Carolina Panthers
Gamecocks
Forever To Thee
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do realize Julio Jones put up 9 receptions, 178 yards, and a TD against us last year... right? As a matter of fact, it was his big play downfield last year that won the game for them.

That was with Josh Norman on the team, by the way.

We have much bigger problems with this team than the cornerback position, which hasn't been that big of an issue outside of the first half of this game. Julio Jones is just a really, really, really good wide receiver.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
"But we don't pay corners big money, any corner can fit into our scheme"

Good work here Gettlemen...

We offered Josh Norman a very reasonable contract. He wanted something bigger. We have a lot of players we have to pay going forward. Of course he wasn't going to get a Redskins-sized contract from us, especially at his age.

I can see why people disagree with us pulling the tag. But I thought not paying him was a great decision. He wasn't worth it, especially in our defense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman, by the way, is getting consistently beaten by Pryor right now. So yeah.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing future players>>>Norman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:

He allowed a 9yard and 10 yard hitch. One was a clear pushoff.
Norman is good as advertised. Im actually amazed how good he is. Norman has a fumble and game winning int this game. Hes amazing such a great defensive player. Both a leader and player. I can only imagine how much carolina misses him. Redskins have a [inappropriate/removed] poor defense and norman is by far the best player on the defensive side of our field.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Norman is good as advertised. Im actually amazed how good he is. Norman has a fumble and game winning int this game. Hes amazing such a great defensive player. Both a leader and player. I can only imagine how much carolina misses him. Redskins have a [inappropriate/removed] poor defense and norman is by far the best player on the defensive side of our field.

He was solely responsible for a majority of our wins last year but a lot of people in here won't admit it in the slightest.

As a Panthers fan I do miss his talent and passion for the game.

Carolina Panthers
Gamecocks
Forever To Thee
mozwanted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

He was solely responsible for a majority of our wins last year but a lot of people in here won't admit it in the slightest.

As a Panthers fan I do miss his talent and passion for the game.

Yepp, hes good. Really good.

Redskins have no pass rush but hes still the best player on the defense. He makes plays especially late in games. Its hard to find those players. Hes earned every penny with the skins. Skins would be 1-3 without him if not 0-4. Our defense is awful and norman is one of the few bright spots.
Zithers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we did have Josh Norman, I don't think we'd have him covering Aldrick Robinson or Austin Hooper... who were, y'know, wide open on huge passing TDs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
He was solely responsible for a majority of our wins last year

Laughing

What a ridiculous statement. No cornerback is solely responsible for the majority of wins for a team that won 15 games and made it to the Super Bowl. You're smarter than that.

Nobody is denying how good Norman is. I've defended him countless times in the NFL General forum so don't try to spin it. With that said, we made the right decision in not breaking the bank for him. I guarantee you if we did and then lost Kawann Short because of it, people would be complaining too. You can't keep everyone. Now maybe we shouldn't have removed the tag. So be it. But complaining about us not giving him a contract? You think we should have given him the contract the Redskins did given who we still have to pay?

I mean hell, some of you already complain that we don't sign a big name free agent for left tackle. We don't have an infinite cash flow of money.

And again, I must reiterate. Julio Jones shredded us last year with Josh Norman on the team. Not having Norman on the team is not the sole reason why we are performing like we are. Norman wouldn't fix our non-existent edge rush. He wouldn't fix our regressed run defense. He wouldn't fix how bad Tre Boston is (maybe he would mask it). He wouldn't fix our offensive line or our nonexistent running game now that Stewart is out.

Besides, this is the first game where our secondary has really hurt us. And it was against arguably the best wide receiver in football who has made even Patrick Peterson look like a fool before. It happens. Our cornerbacks have, in the grand scheme of things, looked far better than our defensive ends this season. We should be focusing our criticism on that position more than we should our cornerback position.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if we are going to criticize any position we should target the OTs before the DEs.

Mike Remmers was flagged like three times in a row and was beat by old man Dwight Freeney constantly. Whether he's on the left or right he is beat like a drum by speed rushers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
You guys do realize Julio Jones put up 9 receptions, 178 yards, and a TD against us last year... right?

Just gonna re-post this so all the "omg norman is gone!!" people can read it over again. The only difference between that game and this one is that our offense could sustain drives here and there and our pass rush was better. If not, Jones probably would have been able to make more plays.

My point is that while Norman is a great player (nobody is disputing that, and why I brought up Norman/Pryor earlier is to show that down games happen), it isn't like we haven't gotten burned by Jones regardless. He's an elite player for a reason. People are overreacting and on top of that, you guys remember Marty Hurney? So instead of clamoring that we should have broken the bank for a player because of a short-term deficiency (which has been far from the biggest deficiency on the team for anyone who has watched the games), remember what kind of position Hurney's contract stuck us in for years due to short-term thinking and long-term ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think DE and OT are far bigger problems than secondary right now. The Norman agenda is just convenient.

JF16 Forever
Cypher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Personally, I think DE and OT are far bigger problems than secondary right now. The Norman agenda is just convenient.

^ This guy gets it. Your secondary is only as good as your pass rush. Simple as that. I think Oher is serviceable at LT unless we can secure a high pick for a premium prospect, but an upgrade at RT is necessary. Remmers would be a tremendous swing tackle, but full-time starter? Ugh, boy, it's rough out there.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: