Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predictions: Biggest surprise / Biggest disappointment
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of the three injured starters will contribute the most in 2016?
Senquez Golson
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Bud Dupree
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Ladarius Green
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author Message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63618
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
Biggest surprise: JJ actually plays well and records double digit sacks.

Biggest Disappointment: Sammie Coates. He's gotten so much attention this off season and has even been compared favorably to Bryant. While he's looked good at times, he hasn't flashed like Bryant did. Obviously it's early but I don't see him making the big splash plays a la Bryant last year. Good news is it appears he will have more of an opportunity than Bryant did. Let's see what he does with it.


I dont think Coates0 will have quite the big play effect as Bryant, but lets not forget that Bryant was extremely inconsistent last year and was called out on multiple occasions. As long as Coates can provide SOME of that ability though, he will be an asset.

Very true in regards to Bryant's consistency and you can see some similarities between the two as it relates to catching the ball . But I think Coates is drawing some unfair expectations to be the big play guy that Bryant was/is. Thus the consideration for Biggest Disappointment.


Not that I disagree, but I'd label it more as Biggest MISCONCEPTION. Coates may very well turn out to be a disappointment as well, but in reality, my expectations for him arent exactly huge.

Then again, my expectations for Villanueva arent huge either, but if he sucks, it will be alot more damning to our offense. Sad
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2013
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
Biggest surprise: JJ actually plays well and records double digit sacks.

Biggest Disappointment: Sammie Coates. He's gotten so much attention this off season and has even been compared favorably to Bryant. While he's looked good at times, he hasn't flashed like Bryant did. Obviously it's early but I don't see him making the big splash plays a la Bryant last year. Good news is it appears he will have more of an opportunity than Bryant did. Let's see what he does with it.


I dont think Coates0 will have quite the big play effect as Bryant, but lets not forget that Bryant was extremely inconsistent last year and was called out on multiple occasions. As long as Coates can provide SOME of that ability though, he will be an asset.


We'll see on Monday. Coates will get his first crack since Denver to show what he can do. Wheaton has been ruled out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2013
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW DID WE DO?

Some of these are spot on and some are wildly off base. Funny to go back and read them after the fact.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
armsteeld


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6796
Location: In your head
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AV has been a pleasant surprise. I'm glad because he grew up an hour away from where I was born and raised.
_________________




"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2013
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
AV has been a pleasant surprise. I'm glad because he grew up an hour away from where I was born and raised.


Very pleasant surprise. When he first joined the team, I think we would have called what has happened "Best Case Scenario."
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3rivers


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 5596
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
AV has been a pleasant surprise. I'm glad because he grew up an hour away from where I was born and raised.


Very pleasant surprise. When he first joined the team, I think we would have called what has happened "Best Case Scenario."


+1, watch Bells highlights, and notice how AV owns in the running game. He deserves a good contract no doubt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4903
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
HOW DID WE DO?

Some of these are spot on and some are wildly off base. Funny to go back and read them after the fact.

Are you suggesting JJ won't get 9 more sacks this Postseason? Where's your faith?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3rivers


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 5596
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the original post was about the 3 players mentioned, the reason I only commented on those.

Green might not have contributed the most but when he did, it essentially was a major contributing factor in realizing how a TE with speed can change the game for us in a major way. I haven't been one for considering drafting a a RD1 or RD2 pick on a fast TE, but now see the value. James is great for the run blocking ,pass pro and passes , but Greens speed makes the D account for him .

Now we are criticizing tomlin because of the Ben ankle drama, but we can't forget how Tomlin and Co. decided to NOT IR Dupree and let him return. Instead , they opted to IR Golson which definitely was the right decision seeing that Bud has returned and appears able to hit and run Cool No link necessary Laughing

Maybe continue this thread now as the regular season is over.

Burns and Davis are surprises because they started for a team that never started rookies on D for many seasons. Add to that how well they played IMO, both players deserve props , excellent draft picks Applause

Hargrave could be a force if allowed to attack. He isn't the 0 tech Hampton or Steed were, but Hargrave can rush the passer and be disruptive when allowed to. He moves down the line well and the play vs the colts was a good indication of his awareness.

If we could have drafts comparable to this, it would help sustain being a top seed playoff team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2013
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
HOW DID WE DO?

Some of these are spot on and some are wildly off base. Funny to go back and read them after the fact.

Are you suggesting JJ won't get 9 more sacks this Postseason? Where's your faith?


Ha Way to take it like a man, Chief. Laughing

But seriously, I didn't expect he would be that ineffective. (and benched) Then again, nobody expected Harrison to play like it was 2010. Well at least we can move on from the JJ experiment.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group