Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predictions: Biggest surprise / Biggest disappointment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of the three injured starters will contribute the most in 2016?
Senquez Golson
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Bud Dupree
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Ladarius Green
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Predictions: Biggest surprise / Biggest disappointment Reply with quote

Time to look into your crystal ball and predict who/what will be the biggest surprise and who/what will be the biggest disappointment for the Steelers in the 2016 season.

Mine:

Biggest surprise will be the emergence of Jesse James as a big contributor on offense.

Biggest disappointment will be that at least two of the three injured players: Golson, Dupree and Green will not contribute in any significant way.
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuries are a part of the game, as well as suspensions it seems Wink

Golson has had bad luck , and we needed help at CB badly last year. His injury is also one I wouldn't prefer over other typical injuries, sprains or broken bones. First 2 years in the league, might not play a regular season snap until (if heals really good) until maybe last half of second season. The other players better play good enough that the team doesn't bring Golson back before he is able to without adding to the injury.

Dupree has his first setback. Will he rebound like DDC did? Remember that knee injury?

Green could be effectively replaced by James in the run blocking and short passing game. I have high expectations for james, he showed ability to run block as well as catch. We could be set at TE for a while especially if Green returns. What about when Green and Bryant are out there at the same time Cool
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

Golson has had bad luck , and we needed help at CB badly last year. His injury is also one I wouldn't prefer over other typical injuries, sprains or broken bones. First 2 years in the league, might not play a regular season snap until (if heals really good) until maybe last half of second season. The other players better play good enough that the team doesn't bring Golson back before he is able to without adding to the injury.

Dupree has his first setback. Will he rebound like DDC did? Remember that knee injury?

Green could be effectively replaced by James in the run blocking and short passing game. I have high expectations for james, he showed ability to run block as well as catch. We could be set at TE for a while especially if Green returns. What about when Green and Bryant are out there at the same time Cool

Concerned about Dupree having groin/hernia surgery this early in his career. Hopefully he can bounce back. (like Mitchell) Fortunately, I never had that injury so I can't really speak to it. Don't know the rehab/recovery.

Likewise, the lisfranc Golson has doesn't sound good for a guy who makes his living on his feet.
KofQ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest surprise: Artie Burns

I think he ends up taking over the starting job from Ross Cockrell in week 3 or 4, and ends up with 5 int's and turns into a real solid cover corner.

Biggest Disappointment : Ladarius Green

I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see him making much of a contribution this year. I just hope he can turn it around at some point and stay healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest surprise - Eli Rogers. He had a very good camp and that should continue into the regular season.

Biggest disappointment - Like JL58 mentioned the injuries to Golson, Dupree, and Green hurt. They each had expectations to be key contributors this season. With them out others will have to pick up the slack. The season hasn't even started yet but the injury bug has reared it's ugly head once again with this team.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Big Ben sig
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Concerned about Dupree having groin/hernia surgery this early in his career. Hopefully he can bounce back. (like Mitchell) Fortunately, I never had that injury so I can't really speak to it. Don't know the rehab/recovery.

Likewise, the lisfranc Golson has doesn't sound good for a guy who makes his living on his feet.

Both Dupree and Golson need to heal and if it means wait until next year then we have to allow that. The timetable for Lisfranc after surgery is usually several months. Also consider how some players were never the same afterwards .

Quote:
Stable Lisfranc injuries that do not require surgery may cause an athlete to miss 2 months or more of their season. However, most athletes are able to successfully return at some point. Those injuries that are unstable, and require surgical repair, are serious injuries that almost always cause the injured athlete to miss the remainder of their season. It is also not uncommon for a high level athlete to not be able to return to the same level of athletic performance even in following seasons. Two well-known examples are Eric Rhett and Duce Staley both of whom had surgery for a serious Lisfranc injury and never successfully returned to their pre-injury form.

How Golson can claim he will be back by November is what I can't understand. Anyone else think that if Golson or Dupree return this season that they could re-injure ?
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KofQ wrote:
Biggest surprise: Artie Burns

I think he ends up taking over the starting job from Ross Cockrell in week 3 or 4, and ends up with 5 int's and turns into a real solid cover corner.

Biggest Disappointment : Ladarius Green

I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see him making much of a contribution this year. I just hope he can turn it around at some point and stay healthy.

Was very encouraged from what I saw in the last preseason game. Wouldn't be surprised if he is a starter by mid-season.

What I like best is that there is hot competition at CB now. Should make all of them better. Depending on how Davis plays, Golson might not have a job when he gets back.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest surprise: Jesse James, Eli Rogers or Sammie Coates
I think James will at least prove to be a decent starter, but could be more. I do think one of these three, WITH Ben, could be poised to break out. Just a matter of who capitalizes on their chances to shine.

Biggest disappointment : Javon Hargrave in the run game
Looking beyond the injuries....I think Hargrave will have times where he struggles mightily in the run game. Even though Hargrave looks like he will present some great interior pressure skills, I think he might be moved around too easily when trying to anchor vs the run. Hopefully he can improve, and I know McCullers will get time vs the run, but McCullers isnt much better, if at all, vs the run, so in general....our NTs vs the run could be disappointing as a whole.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise: Justin Gilbert as a returner. Sammie Coates isn't a kick returner nor is Eli Rogers. Gilbert takes over by week 2 and excels in that role.

Disappointment: AV at LT. I don't see him as a long term fixture. Great story and all but doesn't have much power in his base.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Surprise: Justin Gilbert as a returner. Sammie Coates isn't a kick returner nor is Eli Rogers. Gilbert takes over by week 2 and excels in that role.

Disappointment: AV at LT. I don't see him as a long term fixture. Great story and all but doesn't have much power in his base.

I agree about AV at LT. In fact, I change my answer to that too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

Quote:
Stable Lisfranc injuries that do not require surgery may cause an athlete to miss 2 months or more of their season. However, most athletes are able to successfully return at some point. Those injuries that are unstable, and require surgical repair, are serious injuries that almost always cause the injured athlete to miss the remainder of their season. It is also not uncommon for a high level athlete to not be able to return to the same level of athletic performance even in following seasons. Two well-known examples are Eric Rhett and Duce Staley both of whom had surgery for a serious Lisfranc injury and never successfully returned to their pre-injury form.

How Golson can claim he will be back by November is what I can't understand. Anyone else think that if Golson or Dupree return this season that they could re-injure ?

Just found this, which doesn't sound good: http://bit.ly/2bYCGgc

"Almost all National Football League (NFL) players who sustain tarsometatarsal (Lisfranc) joint injuries return to competition, but very few do so quickly, according to research from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia.

Of 28 players (11 offensive, 17 defensive) who suffered Lisfranc injuries between 2000 and 2010, only two never returned to NFL competition. The median time to return was 11.1 months from the time of injury, and only three players returned in less than three months."
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest surprise: JJ actually plays well and records double digit sacks.

Biggest Disappointment: Sammie Coates. He's gotten so much attention this off season and has even been compared favorably to Bryant. While he's looked good at times, he hasn't flashed like Bryant did. Obviously it's early but I don't see him making the big splash plays a la Bryant last year. Good news is it appears he will have more of an opportunity than Bryant did. Let's see what he does with it.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:

Biggest Disappointment: Sammie Coates. He's gotten so much attention this off season and has even been compared favorably to Bryant. While he's looked good at times, he hasn't flashed like Bryant did. Obviously it's early but I don't see him making the big splash plays a la Bryant last year. Good news is it appears he will have more of an opportunity than Bryant did. Let's see what he does with it.

I dont think Coates0 will have quite the big play effect as Bryant, but lets not forget that Bryant was extremely inconsistent last year and was called out on multiple occasions. As long as Coates can provide SOME of that ability though, he will be an asset.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

I dont think Coates0 will have quite the big play effect as Bryant, but lets not forget that Bryant was extremely inconsistent last year and was called out on multiple occasions. As long as Coates can provide SOME of that ability though, he will be an asset.

Very true in regards to Bryant's consistency and you can see some similarities between the two as it relates to catching the ball . But I think Coates is drawing some unfair expectations to be the big play guy that Bryant was/is. Thus the consideration for Biggest Disappointment.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Munich_Steeler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest Suprise: I can see us being really happy with the Development that Sean Davis takes over the season. Not saying he'll be a stud or something like that, but i think all the Reps and Snaps during the games will contribute to him maturing over the year. I can see him contribute a lot against the run game if he gets his tackling a bit more under control - which comes with adjusting to the speed of the game, while also learning to attack the receiver more during a catch than just jump into the ball.

Biggest Disappointment: Inconsistency (not a player, i know) i can see us having a season again where we adjust to the opponents level of strength. Playing good games against teams like the Bengals or the Chiefs, only to end up playing really bad against the Dolphins or Eagles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: