Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sam Bradford Traded to Vikings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we might get a sense of where Teddy is at if he starts throwing this Spring.

the bigger issue is running/moving, but this is a start.

whether that impacts us re-signing Bradford though...I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extension for Bradford would never go down in salary in the first place. The guy has all the leverage in the world from the beginning over us.
We have no 1st this year because we used it on him, and no other capable QB's on the roster.
He set a completion percentage record. Along with a few other Vikings records I believe.
And he isn't even a top 15 paid QB this year. An extension isn't most likely going to help the cap either way you look at it.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way that an extension would help the cap is for future years. If you can get him locked into a friendly deal for 2018 and beyond, it avoids the cap skyrocketing with the seemingly yearly increases in QB salary.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
An extension for Bradford would never go down in salary in the first place. The guy has all the leverage in the world from the beginning over us.
We have no 1st this year because we used it on him, and no other capable QB's on the roster.
He set a completion percentage record. Along with a few other Vikings records I believe.
And he isn't even a top 15 paid QB this year. An extension isn't most likely going to help the cap either way you look at it.

while all of this is true, it doesn't necessarily mean Bradford and his agent will pull for the maximum dollar deal he could get. he doesn't appear to be a person motivated by greed and keep in mind the enormous size of his rookie contract. does he have something like $50 million in the bank already?

he might want to make his mark with the Vikings instead and not go from team to team his entire career and, like Brady, structure his deal so it doesn't compromise others' salaries and the team's ability to be financially competitive.

just a thought, who knows...

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:

while all of this is true, it doesn't necessarily mean Bradford and his agent will pull for the maximum dollar deal he could get. he doesn't appear to be a person motivated by greed and keep in mind the enormous size of his rookie contract. does he have something like $50 million in the bank already?

he might want to make his mark with the Vikings instead and not go from team to team his entire career and, like Brady, structure his deal so it doesn't compromise others' salaries and the team's ability to be financially competitive.

just a thought, who knows...

100% true.

One thing I think about that is too, he is one more knee injury away from being close to never making any real top end dollar the rest of his career also.

Really hard to judge how a contract will turn out for someone in this situation.

-Dan Gable
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
does he have something like $50 million in the bank already?

Correct. 6 years, $78 million with $50 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81969c4c/article/bradfords-a-big-deal-rams-give-rookie-qb-50m-guaranteed

vike daddy wrote:

Wouldn't that be nice! Pray

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a 3 year extension.
Guy earned his bread with his play in 2016 behind that terrible OL.
May take a little bit less now, compared to his market value after he puts up another stellar season behind a better OL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I would like a 3 year extension.

Well sure, I would like one too! Don't think I'll be getting a check though... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean at least coaches look highly on Sam. This is from Sports Illustrated and MMQB writer Andy Benoit‏ on Twitter.

Have had coaches tell me that, mechanically, Sam Bradford one of the very best in the business.

-Dan Gable
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
I mean at least coaches look highly on Sam. This is from Sports Illustrated and MMQB writer Andy Benoit‏ on Twitter.

Have had coaches tell me that, mechanically, Sam Bradford one of the very best in the business.

He definitely is. I said this during his tenure at the Eagles. He has exactly what you want from a QB in terms of arm strength, release, foot work, etc.

To me, his biggest issues are his lack of mobility and his itchy trigger finger, which I think is a product of that lack of mobility, his injury history and playing in front of a lot of bad o-lines. The most frustrating part of his game to me, was that he'll dump it off a lot before letting a play fully develop. He has such a great deep ball that you want him to use it more. With that said, if you gave him a competent run game and a good defense, he'll protect the football and make enough plays that you should be a playoff team and legit SB contender.

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:

He definitely is. I said this during his tenure at the Eagles. He has exactly what you want from a QB in terms of arm strength, release, foot work, etc.

To me, his biggest issues are his lack of mobility and his itchy trigger finger, which I think is a product of that lack of mobility, his injury history and playing in front of a lot of bad o-lines. The most frustrating part of his game to me, was that he'll dump it off a lot before letting a play fully develop. He has such a great deep ball that you want him to use it more. With that said, if you gave him a competent run game and a good defense, he'll protect the football and make enough plays that you should be a playoff team and legit SB contender.

I still think a lot of those short yardage plays he dumped out last year are basically looks like just extended hand off since we had no running game. A lot of them looked almost designed. 3 step drop, dump the ball off.

I've said it before, and even with Teddy we would see a lot of these in this offense. Our defense to thrive we have to keep them off the field. When you have a good defense, the best thing you can do is have them fresh and have long offensive drives. What we need to do is start turning these drives into points on the bored.

We have had an issue stalling drives at the 40 or 30 yardline. No running game really hurt that. It's hard to have a short pass for 3 or 4 yards and then a drop, and be stuck in so many 3rd and 7's or 3rd and 6. Even worse when we would lose yards on first down running the ball.

If we can get to that 4 yards a carry, that really opens us up. We are able to do a short passing play on 1st down and not be scared to run the ball on second down. 3rd and 2's are a lot easier to go by.

Bradford can thrive in this offense if we can develop a dependable running game.

-Dan Gable
Purplexing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:

I still think a lot of those short yardage plays he dumped out last year are basically looks like just extended hand off since we had no running game. A lot of them looked almost designed. 3 step drop, dump the ball off.

I've said it before, and even with Teddy we would see a lot of these in this offense. Our defense to thrive we have to keep them off the field. When you have a good defense, the best thing you can do is have them fresh and have long offensive drives. What we need to do is start turning these drives into points on the bored.

We have had an issue stalling drives at the 40 or 30 yardline. No running game really hurt that. It's hard to have a short pass for 3 or 4 yards and then a drop, and be stuck in so many 3rd and 7's or 3rd and 6. Even worse when we would lose yards on first down running the ball.

If we can get to that 4 yards a carry, that really opens us up. We are able to do a short passing play on 1st down and not be scared to run the ball on second down. 3rd and 2's are a lot easier to go by.

Bradford can thrive in this offense if we can develop a dependable running game.

Perhaps you and the polite, informative, insightful Philly fan posting above you have inadvertently stumbled upon Spielman's 2017 draft strategy?

RB in round 2? Then OG, etc.?
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

Perhaps you and the polite, informative, insightful Philly fan posting above you have inadvertently stumbled upon Spielman's 2017 draft strategy?

RB in round 2? Then OG, etc.?

I mean yes, that would be ideal the way I look at it. Or vice versa. Maybe even throw a WR or TE in there half way early. Give the guy something to work with, which he really has never had.He had a running game in St. Louis, but no pass protection what-so-ever or even someone to throw to.

The whole situation in Philly was just off for him. That offense wasn't going to do well. He showed so much improvement after Kelly left and Shurmur took over.

I'm not saying he is going to ever be Tom Brady or anyone that is super-elite, but if he can be a game manager and actually do something with the offense I honestly believe we have a shot at a playoff run.

-Dan Gable
Purplexing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gw: It seems a good RB would add the most value to the offense. But I'd agree with adding a OG or TE if a (near) blue chip prospect were available at 48, then draft a RB at 80(?).

I think Spielman and Zimmer are hoping for more than a 'game manager QB' from either SB or TB. Why are you 'aiming low' with expectations/ acceptable performance for the Vikes' starting QB?

NFL teams don't need a Tom Brady caliber QB to win a SB. But they need to aim higher than to develop a 'game manager' QB.
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Teddy. I just want good news and to hear he can come back. I don't know that he will ever be as good as Bradford, but they are two different QB's. Regardless, I just don't get the feeling that he will ever come back and be the player he was: a generally mobile passer who was accurate at short to mid throws, and who was showing to have good improvement this last preseason. I want to hold on to him as long as we can on this contract, but I still think that the team knows better as to how his future will play out, and if Bradford isn't extended this year, I think it's safe to assume that we think Teddy will be able to go some time in 2018. If we do end up rolling with Teddy we realistically need to either fork out the cash for a viable veteran (not a Shaun Hill) or look early in the draft.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, and I looked and behold, a Pale Horse...

And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

NSDQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 55 of 58

Jump to: