You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Titans (0-0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradise lost

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
‏@PaulKuharskyNFL
Shaun Hill completed 10 passes thrown 10 or more yards downfield. Teddy Bridgewater didn't have that many in a game his rookie year. Sam Bradford has done it once in his career.

Quote:
Vikings running back Adrian Peterson's gained 9 yards after contact on 19 carries against the Titans. The 0.5-yard average was his lowest since ESPN Stats & Info began tracking the stat in 2009.

couple of quotes from Paul, but it highlights how much we need bradford to compete with teams with good defenses.

with 8-9 men in the box all game it was near impossible to get the run game going. that essentially left their corners on an island for most of the game, which we took advantage of but not nearly as much as we could have.

obviously if we had a legitimate threat at QB (like bradford can be) then we wouldn't see as many stacked boxes but until then AP is going to bottled up and there are going to be opportunities in the intermediate and deep range. that's not ideal though as you want to have a balance between the run and pass game but we won't have that until bradford plays.

diggs is awesome by the way, just thought i should throw it out there.
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought today showed a lot of our issues, and I think we have realistic fixes that can be applied. The biggest issue I think that we had was the ability to drum up a run game, partially due to our run blocking, but I think this is more of a product of having Hill at QB and Adrian being rusty than the O-line itself. The Titans did not respect Hill, understandably so. This probably accounts for him having a decent game passing. It also accounts for why the boxes were always stacked. The O-line had no way to handle that sort of run blocking, and AP had no way of being relatively productive, barring any sort of game break style run. Despite not gaining much of the ground, we did use the stacked boxes to our advantage as much as possible. Rather than abandoning the run game, we stuck with it in order to push Tennessee to keep with their game plan of stopping the run, which in turn allowed our passing game to open more. The simple fix to improving the run game is to have our pass game gain more respect. Whether that is bringing in Bradford or allowing Hill to become more respected in the pass game over time, I see the only way that we start to run the ball effectively is if we make teams respect that aspect of our offense.

Our second big area of issue is redzone and scoring. I think our offensive issues that effect the run also hurt us here. The defense was keyed in on the run as with the rest of the game, however, they artificially have an easier time of defending the pass due to a shortened field. By gaining a more respected pass game, it will take the pressure off of the run, which in turn will open up more opportunity.

Blair is really starting to worry me now. Another missed PAT, and his missed FG's are getting concerning. When we are not able to complete offensive drives with TD's, we need to have a solid kicking game. Blair left 7 points on the field, and that could very well lose us games this year.

The defense really was the shining star today. I know Griffen got some negative reviews from people here today, but I thought he was excellent, even though the stats don't show it. He worked over Lewan today, and it caused the Titan's offense to focus many assets on him. His pressure and play today led to Kendrick's interception for TD, which is one of those accomplishments that won't show up in the stats. His play allowed other defenders to show up and make plays.

Our run defense is still the weakest part of our defensive game. This is disappointing, but I think we'll be okay once we settle in. Our other area of concern on defense would have to be focused on our CB's, specifically between Rhodes and Waynes. Rhodes' injury is concerning, and hopefully it is nothing serious. Waynes stepped in today, and looked decent at times, and in certain ways, but I wouldn't say that he played as good as we would have expected Xavier to play. He has mental errors one play, and the next he looked sharp. He would have tight coverage, but then would allow a completion. It looked like Andre Johnson kind of had his way with him. For now, I will attribute his game to a lack of time starting, and with more experience, he will get better, though if he doesn't pick things up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Alexander get more playing time.

Great games from Diggs, Theilen, and Rudolph to an extent. Diggs and Theilen's play is telling of Wright's importance to the team, or lack there of, and it makes sense that he was sat today. One interesting thing is that I think both Adam and Stefon look like they could be great in the slot. Diggs can play outside, but it may make make our receiver corps most effective by having another receiver establish themselves on the outside so that he can be placed in a more natural position.

I think we got lucky today. Our defense carried us, and that will win us games against teams like the Titans, but it will only keep us competitive at best against better squads. We'll need to become a more complete offense to win big games, and I think the key to that will be Bradford becoming comfortable with the offense and stepping in. I personally don't see how he doesn't start next week, but it all should depend on how he progresses in practice. I bet that both he and the coaches notice this and will strongly focus on getting him game ready even faster if that is possible. With Hill, you already have a limited playbook: deep passes and plays that require QB movement like bootlegs have to be thrown out, and that limitation of the playbook won't change with Hill. Now, starting Bradford also probably limits the playbook, at least initially, but not in the same way. His playbook limitation is going to be the mental retention limitation and comfort with the other guys on offense, but over time that will work itself out. The physical limitations, however, that change our playcall ability, would generally be removed by playing Bradford. I think that Sam getting the call to start will nullify some of the woes that we have had, and it may not be a huge impact in his 1st or 2nd game, but it will start to work itself out.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, and I looked and behold, a Pale Horse...

And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

NSDQ
jam8891

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a few, "Vikings got lucky."

Completely disagree.

It's the 1st week of the season. Every game for every team on the schedule is unpredictable. Most certainly the 1st week of the season.

So we started off slow in the early going...and? That happens all the time with us. Adjustments are always made if able

These adjustments were just great, for lack of a better term
We weren't lucky. We didn't "get by". We won. That simple

Oh, I cannot stand Walsh. Get him out
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didnt get lucky, we knew stepping in that our Defence would need to carry us and they did. Game plan was executed.

I'm also at the point where if a team is stacking the box and leaves single coverage on Diggs on the outside, I throw it 15+ yards to him every single time. We need to start treating our stud like a stud.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
I would also say Trae Waynes played well because he always had tight coverage, never gave up a big play, and was an excellent tackler. He did give up a number of short catches though.

I would not say Rudolph played well. He had some good catches, but had two ugly drops. I want to see him be more reliable.

There is no way you can call that seem route an ugly drop by Rudolph. Not many players are going to catch a ball against a defender's helmet and getting hit from behind.

Not the drop he's talking about.

He's talking about the drop where Rudolph didn't get his head around in time and only got one hand on a perfect throw.

Right, but that would only be one ugly drop. Heimdallr said two.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I'm going to go sign up for a reading class at the local CC Laughing

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call the second drop "ugly", but that is a catch I want a big TE to be able to make. He had the ball in both hands for a good amount of time.

It is like a kicker missing from 50; it is understandable but you really want to see them make that.

It was definitely one of Rudolph's better games, but he still needs to work on the drops.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone pay attention to Kalil and Smith? I didn't notice any glaring mistakes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
did anyone pay attention to Kalil and Smith? I didn't notice any glaring mistakes

Smith was not good from a lot of Twitter reports.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get to catch the game, went tot he Twins game since we had tickets to use this year from a rain out we went to. Was keeping track on my phone and have watched highlights. Was kind of what I expected, slow start by the offense, although Hill was better than I thought he'd be. The defense was very good, and I'm disappointed in Walsh for his first two misses, was that second one tipped at all, it just came out so oddly, but then he appeared to get his head on straight for the last few, so that was just weird.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
We didnt get lucky, we knew stepping in that our Defence would need to carry us and they did. Game plan was executed.

I'm also at the point where if a team is stacking the box and leaves single coverage on Diggs on the outside, I throw it 15+ yards to him every single time. We need to start treating our stud like a stud.

I would say luck or bad play by the Titans helped you guys.

Yes, the pick was bad but you guys got gift wrapped a fumble return for a TD. There was no good defense other than picking it up and running.

That being said, your defense looked very good and very fast. Harrison Smith (played against him in high school;he is from Tennessee) is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:

Smith was not good from a lot of Twitter reports.

Smith got some flak for some first quarter mistakes, but he really seemed to settle down i the 2nd quarter and second half.

Kalil was very good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, if your offense doesn't score a TD, and you get two defensive scores, that seems kind of lucky to me.

Lots of talk about Walsh....but Locke is no shining star. I still don't get why he never gets competition.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

One of 17 players to catch at least seven passes so far this week. Only eight did it on nine or fewer targets and only four of the other 16 had more yards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I don't know, if your offense doesn't score a TD, and you get two defensive scores, that seems kind of lucky to me.

Not for a team that's built on it's defense.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 45 of 47

Jump to: