You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How will the Joey Bosa saga finish.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
Spanos-Condon death match the survivor will draw up the contract to his choosing and will be agreed upon by both parties.

Unfortunately with the Death Tax still in place, the Spanos family won't risk one of their own. And most of the others in the front office actually have some value. Maybe we can pit A.G. or John-boy, but even then, losing one of them solves very little because Daddy and Granpappy are still kicking around causing hell for us.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawman Theory wrote:
I'm 100% against the player. The money is guaranteed. You're getting millions without having stepped onto the NFL field. He's irreparably damaging his career over a 600k tax hit on year 2 money. Unless he firmly believes he's a 1 contract chump there's no reason to argue over 1/45th of your contract

Wilkieray wrote:
I'm 80% against player here. If he thinks that he is worth what he is asking for why is he afraid of losing money if he gets cut? He should look at it as playing the whole contract proving his worth and getting paid in contract 2. If he is as good as he thinks, he will get every penny of that contract so why not sign?

I think that the Chargers have some blame as well. Yes, they need to get the best deal for the team and if Joey is a bust they shouldn't have to keep paying him #3 money. At the same time, if you trust that your organization made the right pick then why not make sure you get that pick on the field.

Both sides have blame as well for making this ugly. Coulda had a contract dispute and holdout without making it personal. Better communication between the two sides is needed.

Yeah, I don't think you can completely exempt the franchise from blame. There does reach a point where "precedent" loses importance because the aim should be not to be picking the Top 5 again until such a time as finding a successor to Phil was necessary (at which point, the very nature of a player picked that high being a QB basically kneecaps most of the team's leverage anyway).

I get the feeling that Bosa's not quite grasping how badly Tom Condon is using him here. Joey's really not gaining much by engaging in this ;even if he gains a compromise win (he doesn't have the leverage for an out-and-out victory), what he's risking on the other side of the coin is much more substantial and, frankly, this may read to a lot of other clubs like he's not that confident that he's going to succeed and is looking to hedge his bets, so to speak. And that's not something teams want to see out of a player who is going to expect them to shell out a likely bare minimum of $10m/yr average by the time second contract time rolls around. That and if he sits out a year, he's effectively pushing back the coveted second (big money) contract by a year - and at some point the matter of when the next CBA (likely 2020) is up for collective bargaining and whether a holdout or potential strike may occur has to factor into savvy players' minds.

My suspicion is that there are a number of guarantee-triggers and LTBE's tied to production benchmarks and those have Condon's shorts in a twist... and he's telling Bosa that those shouldn't be in there when they're pretty standard for post-wage-scale rookie contracts.

I do believe there comes a point where it's just in the best interest of the club to pick which is more important to them (the deferred signing bonus portion payout or off-set language with specific regard to Bosa as a player) and just make the concession - then pick a couple Condon free agent candidates in the near future, bring them in for visits, and let them know that you'd be interested in signing them, but at this point you're only able to offer them this (slightly-lowball) deal because their agent drug the club over the coals in a deal the previous year and tied their hands.

MathMan wrote:
MikeT14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who blinked?

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
So, who blinked?

Little of both from what I can tell. Chargers got the offset language and Bosa got paid out more upfront/now than the 45-55% that he would have gotten on the last offer we knew to be on the table from the Chargers, but I also don't think he got the full 90% upfront that he was seeking. Probably closer to 70 or 75% now, 25% in March.

MathMan wrote:
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
So, who blinked?

Little of both from what I can tell. Chargers got the offset language and Bosa got paid out more upfront/now than the 45-55% that he would have gotten on the last offer we knew to be on the table from the Chargers, but I also don't think he got the full 90% upfront that he was seeking. Probably closer to 70 or 75% now, 25% in March.

I'm hearing it's 85% and very similar to the offer they refused.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
The LBC wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
So, who blinked?

Which is why they should've accepted his initial offer. Yah him and his agents were [REMOVED] but just make your player happy and move on. The organization doesn't want to have a reputation of being penny pinching [REMOVED] which they currently have.

Both sides were at fault but long term accepting his deal is better for the Chargers. Throughout the whole process they appeared petty and who would want to work for them?

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

game3525

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
kramxel wrote:
The LBC wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:
So, who blinked?

Which is why they should've accepted his initial offer. Yah him and his agents were [REMOVED] but just make your player happy and move on. The organization doesn't want to have a reputation of being penny pinching [REMOVED] which they currently have.

Both sides were at fault but long term accepting his deal is better for the Chargers. Throughout the whole process they appeared petty and who would want to work for them?

You can't penny pinch something that is already guaranteed.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: