Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How will the Joey Bosa saga finish.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: How will the Joey Bosa saga finish. Reply with quote

I think he signs his deal after week 2 of the preseason
BABYLON 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey Bosa's Mom Says She Wishes Son 'Pulled an Eli Manning' on Draft Day | Bleacher Report (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2b6xuso

I believe it will get done its not like the fist time the Chargers had problems with there contracts.I really don't like when players family's take it to social media just make things looks worst then what it is.I know that's your mom Joey and she wants the best for you but on some things mom got some to fall back [/quote]

Sig by BenderRodriguez
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it's gotten to this point. I think he signs in the next few weeks.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor showing on both parties IMO. The Chargers need to get his butt into camp, and he needs to show up. But at the end of the day, you drafted in the #3 slot, and you got the guy you feel will help turn the franchise around. Stop worrying about saving money in the event he's a bust, and trust that he's the guy to lead the defense into the future.
Cant spell choke without OKC
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be too late. The Chargers front office are coming off stubborn and Bosa is calling their bluff and seems to have genuine bad feelings now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a deal will get done, but there is no way Bosa will re-up with us after his rookie deal is up.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
I think a deal will get done, but there is no way Bosa will re-up with us after his rookie deal is up.

Raider fan here - though we are rivals, I feel for you guys on this one. I can't comment on the exact details (I know the issue is the schedule of guaranteed money - he wants it all the second he signs the contract), but one of the biggest changes in the new CBA was a much more rigid rookie pay scale, to stop teams from getting completely hosed on high draft picks that never play a game at the level that was expected.

By all intents and purposes it seems the new CBA has done a good job reducing rookie holdouts b/c contracts are basically already laid out for each draft spot, but to see a guy like bosa trying to weasel his way into a better contract than the #4 draft pick entails is frustrating. Also what he's asking for is pretty unprecedented as far as I know - you don't hear about many guys in general that get the full guaranteed portion of their 4 year contract before they even play a game.

I side with the Chargers pretty strongly on this one - seeing as bosa is the ONLY 1st rounder that has yet to sign a contract, and most others signed months ago. What's worse is the damage he's doing to his name over this holdout and the level of ego it must take to have let this go on as long as it has. He has proven nothing in terms of his ability at an nfl level, but what he has proven is that he's not a team player, is highly entitled, and is not motivated to be a star, but rather that he's motivated to get as much money as possible in a short period of time. I mean think about it, if your a top 5 pick and you View yourself as a potential superstar, your rookie contract is going to be the smallest. Prove yourself first and you will not have to use tactics like this to get more money, you'll have teams lined up begging to give you boatloads of money. Holding out over a rookie contract which doesn't really have much wiggle room in the first place is just petty, and it makes you wonder if he's planning on getting a 2nd contract at all.

Hopefully bosa comes to his senses soon, but otherwise I hope you guys make an example out of him, as he's already making the team look bad for drafting him in the 1st place. Let him re enter the draft, it'll cost him way more money and probably a guaranteed starting job, since the other 31 teams have probably been following this thinking 'like hell he comes here'.

Good luck to you guys, as a raider fan I can relate to a-hole rookies that holdout and the last one that did it to us basically robbed us blind (and later sued and won when we cut him before his contract was up - I'm referencing jaWalrus Russel if you weren't sure). It's not fun and it creates a culture of parasitic players that are ONLY concerned with the money and have no team pride or loyalty.
game3525

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also what he's asking for is pretty unprecedented as far as I know - you don't hear about many guys in general that get the full guaranteed portion of their 4 year contract before they even play a game.

What he is asking for isn't really unprecedented, but it is petty and pointless in the grand scheme of things.

He should just sign his contract and play well and cash in on the 2nd contract.
SeattleSkin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who is advising this young man but they're not doing a very good job. So, basically he is turning this down because he has to settle for $14.5m of his signing bonus this year instead of $17m? How much of that $2.5m, that he'd get anyway a year from now, will he lose by not be ready to start and having his contract offer reduced as a consequence?

The offer was structured with the same guidelines as the team has established they do business and good for them. The Chargers are setting the precedent of what they won't do for any players future negotiations.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeattleSkin wrote:
I don't know who is advising this young man but they're not doing a very good job. So, basically he is turning this down because he has to settle for $14.5m of his signing bonus this year instead of $17m? How much of that $2.5m, that he'd get anyway a year from now, will he lose by not be ready to start and having his contract offer reduced as a consequence?

The offer was structured with the same guidelines as the team has established they do business and good for them. The Chargers are setting the precedent of what they won't do for any players future negotiations.

There's a good and bad way to do the bolded, and the Chargers are doing it wrong. The issue is that the chargers are setting a precident on they're team, and comparing it to everyone on their team, and then saying that's how they're doing things, when they've never had a draft pick even remotely this high since the wage scale. Its like being in a negotiation with a franchise level QB, and saying...."well....our great RB is only making 8m/year, so we'll give you slightly more than that." when the market for a QB is well into the $20m range. Its idiotic. Ever since the rookie wage scale, the 3rd pick has gotten either a fully up front bonus, or no offset language in their contract, that precident HAS BEEN SET. To not offer either of those is definitely a slap in the face to Bosa, and to just say "well nobody on the team has it..." just isn't a valid argument....

Not to say that Bosa isn't wrong in this either, this whole thing's been a damn pissing contest from the beginning, and we all know how big and volitile the ego's of the Chargers brass is...and Bosa's agent must be almost as bad. Like seriously, long standoffs where they weren't even willing to talk to each other because "it would look like a sign of weakness"....are you god damn children....? There's no way that anyone comes out of this not looking like a complete Dumb---. I'm not here to blame one side or the other here, they both are stupid, but if I had to side with someone, I'm probably in Bosa's corner.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
kyle21121

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanos-Condon death match the survivor will draw up the contract to his choosing and will be agreed upon by both parties.
kramxel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I think he'll reenter the draft.

That means a wasted #3 for us.
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hard to root for this team with the front office that we have.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 100% against the player. The money is guaranteed. You're getting millions without having stepped onto the NFL field. He's irreparably damaging his career over a 600k tax hit on year 2 money. Unless he firmly believes he's a 1 contract chump there's no reason to argue over 1/45th of your contract
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 80% against player here. If he thinks that he is worth what he is asking for why is he afraid of losing money if he gets cut? He should look at it as playing the whole contract proving his worth and getting paid in contract 2. If he is as good as he thinks, he will get every penny of that contract so why not sign?

I think that the Chargers have some blame as well. Yes, they need to get the best deal for the team and if Joey is a bust they shouldn't have to keep paying him #3 money. At the same time, if you trust that your organization made the right pick then why not make sure you get that pick on the field.

Both sides have blame as well for making this ugly. Coulda had a contract dispute and holdout without making it personal. Better communication between the two sides is needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: