FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

Reported Baldwin Extension: 4 years, 46M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reported Baldwin Extension: 4 years, 46M Reply with quote

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/147999/source-doug-baldwin-seahawks-agree-to-extension/

Quote:
Wide receiver Doug Baldwin has agreed to a contract extension with the Seahawks that is reportedly worth $46 million over four years.

710 ESPN Seattle’s Gee Scott was the first to report Tuesday that the two sides had agreed to a deal, the details of which have since been reported elsewhere. According to ESPN’s Ed Werder, it includes approximately $24.25 million in guarantees.

If that is indeed the cost, I got to say I am surprised. I am not saying he hasn't earned it necessarily; I need to do some digging but if memory serves me correctly its a pretty fair price match to other guys. I just though Seattle would managed to retain him at 7M or so a year. I really feel like we've paid Kearse too much

#1 ET Supporter
imani

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really banking on him playing at the level he did to finish the year. If he can keep that output up this season (within reason) it's actually a bargain. If he we get the baldwin from his career prior to that, he's overpaid.

Good move to get him extended regardless, he's a staple on this team

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I think the comfort Wilson has with Baldwin played a little into the price. They really seemed to be on the same page last year and have always been (Carroll just never really unleashed the passing game/Wilson).

$11M is a LITTLE high (so is the guaranteed) but it's a bargain if Baldwin keeps up his level of play.

His targets from 2014-15 didn't really change that much yet his production increased tremendously (namely in TDs). He's always been a fairly high percentage caught/attempt receiver so can't fault him at that.

I think I'd give it a B- grade. Little high on the overall contract and the guaranteed is quite high. That said, the familiarity with Wilson and offense, and fact he was playing with zero backfield half the season keeps it from going C or lower.

Regardless, it's better money spent than Percy freaking Harvin.
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I think the comfort Wilson has with Baldwin played a little into the price. They really seemed to be on the same page last year and have always been (Carroll just never really unleashed the passing game/Wilson).

$11M is a LITTLE high (so is the guaranteed) but it's a bargain if Baldwin keeps up his level of play.

His targets from 2014-15 didn't really change that much yet his production increased tremendously (namely in TDs). He's always been a fairly high percentage caught/attempt receiver so can't fault him at that.

I think I'd give it a B- grade. Little high on the overall contract and the guaranteed is quite high. That said, the familiarity with Wilson and offense, and fact he was playing with zero backfield half the season keeps it from going C or lower.

Regardless, it's better money spent than Percy freaking Harvin.
Zman724

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the $$ is fine. Next year, we won't have Graham's $9mm on the books & $0 for Lynch. We won't be paying our RB beans and No OL is making any cabbage. I wish we spent more there.

Obviously, it doesn't mean we overpay but as fans, we always want guys to be signed for the cheap. A bit over market value in our perception today will be aligned in 2017.

In this supply & demand world, the contract is commensurate with his current performance & he's a Steve Smith type of baller who I believe will continue with his 2015 performance. The chemistry he & RW have is irreplaceable. I just wish we could up the ante for Bennett.

Where are we going to find a WR that scored 14 td's with sticky hands and brings an attitude to the O? No where! They rarely hit the open market.

Congrats, Doug!
Zman724

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go check out

R Cobb's cap hit from 2016 - 2018 & dead $$ to cut

JMacLin's cap hit from 2016 - 2018 & dead $$ to cut

TY Hilton's cap hit from 2016 - 2018 & dead $$ to cut.

Cap increase & inflation raise value of Baldwin's current deal.
The deal is a win/win.
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised by the price too, but his absolutely floor would be the 9.5m APY Michael Crabtree makes.
SoS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem as though Pete & John prioritize the type of continuity and chemistry between our QB and WR group the way you usually hear people talk about an offensive line. I think that plays a big part in their willingness to "overspend" on a Kearse and Baldwin. Both guys have incredible chemistry with Russ.

The salary here is definitely more than I was expecting, but we've now locked up Baldwin for the prime of his career and he's a guy that you KNOW will not stop working hard after getting paid. It's a safe deal.
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems really steep but I think they wanna keep the core together as much as possible. Kinda sends a message to the rest of the team that if they play hard/well, they'll be rewarded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: