You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 DB Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typecast wrote:
Any thoughts on Treston DeCoud (Oregon State)?

I was initially inteigued by him, but now I think he's a backup corner in a zone based scheme.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without using hindsight of what players became, is this one of the better secondary drafts ever?

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Without using hindsight of what players became, is this one of the better secondary drafts ever?

It's up there for sure. If Lattimore didn't have the hamstrings made of jello, he'd be the best overall CB prospect in years. Sidney Jones could've went top 12 without the injury. Conley could go top 15. Then you have two damn good safety prospects in Adams and Hooker who could both go top 5. The depth is crazy. You could find a good CB or S in round 3 or 4.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:

Yes.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bscott36 wrote:
lol yea, I just wrote that for hot take purposes

I'm sure some will view it as a hot take. TT's my #3-ranked safety - and considering that I can get him easily 60 picks after I could get Hooker and both have concerns about their tackling (while I'd agree with you, Thompson demonstrates better pure instincts while I think Hooker's athleticism has made his instincts look a bit better than they are - not Marcus Williams level athleticism compensating for instincts, but still enough to be noticeable), I'd be weighing that into my decision of taking Hooker in the Top 5 picks if I were picking there, needed a safety, and had the opportunity to lay hands on another blue-chipper at a position of need with that Top 5 pick instead.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Counselor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
bscott36 wrote:
lol yea, I just wrote that for hot take purposes

I'm sure some will view it as a hot take. TT's my #3-ranked safety - and considering that I can get him easily 60 picks after I could get Hooker and both have concerns about their tackling (while I'd agree with you, Thompson demonstrates better pure instincts while I think Hooker's athleticism has made his instincts look a bit better than they are - not Marcus Williams level athleticism compensating for instincts, but still enough to be noticeable), I'd be weighing that into my decision of taking Hooker in the Top 5 picks if I were picking there, needed a safety, and had the opportunity to lay hands on another blue-chipper at a position of need with that Top 5 pick instead.

I have Tedric rated highly for months. Glad others view him similarly.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
Counselor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
KingBishop wrote:
After watching more on the Safeties (my favorite) here is my top 6.... This list is interchangeable a bit because of scheme. Safeties are becoming themselves more interchangeable between free and strong but there are still some schemes which require a particular skill set in a free versus strong safety... Now I haven't watched all of the safeties yet but have seen many of them and so far here is my ranking. We may be looking at the next Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu debate with the top two for years in this class...

1. Jamal Adams Top 10 (complete player, disciplined, can make plays, has range, can play deep or in the box, hitter, sure tackler, high floor and high ceiling, jack of all trades but does them all at a high level. A player I start from day one and have zero concerns about)

2. Malik Hooker Top 10 (I have never, and I mean never ever seen a Safety with his range. I analyze safety range by looking at two factors separately and then combining them. Instincts and Athletic ability. There are safeties who make up for their lack of athletic ability with instincts when covering a deep half or third. This is presnap to before the ball is in the air. Obviously scheme has to be taken into account. Then analyzing athletic ability, how quickly can the safety close or cover ground... Can the safety recover for lack of instincts or being out of position with his athletic ability? Hooker is the best I've seen, better than Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Earl Thomas whoever you want to look into at a combination of both. Ed Reed I believe was more instinctual and while extremely athletic Hooker has the length that allows him to cover a greater range more quickly. Reed ran a 4.57 at the combine by the way. So why is Hooker number two? Man coverage and quickness won't suit every scheme and his play against the run. He is so elite at the deep zone, but average to good in other areas. Adams is the more complete player without having any weaknesses to push Hooker ahead of him. Hooker has a tendency to take bad angles and doesn't always wrap up. Hooker belongs in the deep half of the field patrolling and making plays. It really is a 1a and 1b with Adams and Hooker and with these two it depends what you need)

3. Marcus Williams Top 40 (another long tall S who can cover ground and make plays in the passing game. Iffy tackler at times and goes for the kill shot. Some of these taller lankier guys need to drop down more when tackling and I believe the lazy form can be coached up. I see some Haha Clinton Dix in his game, but Haha is better against the run)

4. Tedric Thompson Top 50 (Tedric Thompson might cover in man better than both Hooker and Williams, as he can stick to the hip better from what I've seen. I am still wondering about his athletic ability as I don't believe he has as great of deep range as Hooker and Williams, but has better short area quickness. His combine could be huge for him. Tedric can make solid tackles in the running game but needs to improve angles and play strength. I see Tedric as a player who can play FS or SS and cover in the shallow to mid range of the field. He can play deep coverage but might find himself in a scheme that wants their Safeties to play more man on tight ends and backs and occasionally receivers. I just want to see a little more physicality)

5. Eddie Jackson Top 64 (Eddie is a player coming off of injury. A former corner convert he has the coverage ability and tenacity to be an impact starter in the NFL. His game is very similar to Tedric's with a bit more athletic flash but still developing the instincts at safety. I want to see him develop more at S before I can rank him higher but he is a player if not for injury who could be the third safety in this class. He and Tedric are more of the interchangeable type of safeties between FS and SS. Where as Adams I think can play both but is clearly better suited as a SS and Hooker and Williams as deep safeties in a predominately zone defense. I would like to see Eddie bulk up more to be used closer to the line of scrimmage in certain coverages)

6. Budda Baker Top 64 (Budda is a player everyone wants to throw an Earl Thomas or Mathieu label on. He is neither of those players. Budda doesn't have the range of Thomas or the man coverage ability of Mathieu. Budda has a balanced game and is a fearless defender for his size. He isn't Bob Sanders but he has some toughness and grit to his game. Budda is a well rounded safety but his size concerns me. He can play some slot and play some man but he will be good at it not great IMO. Budda can play some deep zone but he won't be great at it either. I see balance in his game but no one area that screams out to be greatness. However because of his overall solid game and ability to make some plays I would take him in the second half of round two, he may have the best short area quickness of this group and his versatility may get him selected higher than some of these other players.)

I'll bump my pre combine rankings since the combine starts today. Still need to watch more Obi, the St. Francis Safety, Fish Smithson, Nicholson, and a few others.

I don't think my rankings have changed much from this even after the combine. I may put Obi 6th and move Budda up to 5. I think Obi will end up a CB though.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59
Page 59 of 59

Jump to: