Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 LB Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
So even worse is Cunningham takes bad angles but it's not because of athleticism. He is athletic for a LBer. So what can we attribute to his poor angles? If you call Cunningham's bad angles due to film study I call Bs. And if you call it based on lack of awareness... Well you can keep him.

I'm not talking about Cunningham. That's y'all's pizzing match. I'm talking about angles.

I haven't evaluated Cunningham yet. But based on what you're saying, if he takes poor angles, they may be due to a combination of player responsibility, aggression, and self-awareness.

Is he over-pursuing or under-pursuing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
KingBishop wrote:
So even worse is Cunningham takes bad angles but it's not because of athleticism. He is athletic for a LBer. So what can we attribute to his poor angles? If you call Cunningham's bad angles due to film study I call Bs. And if you call it based on lack of awareness... Well you can keep him.

I'm not talking about Cunningham. That's y'all's pizzing match. I'm talking about angles.

I haven't evaluated Cunningham yet. But based on what you're saying, if he takes poor angles, they may be due to a combination of player responsibility, aggression, and self-awareness.

Is he over-pursuing or under-pursuing?

Honestly I've seen both! His effort to really break down and tackle is so lazy and he lunges and tries to arm tackle, sometimes leaves his feet and gets dragged for yards. I think he will be just okay. But I'm not taking a player top 15 for that.

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
But saying him taking wrong ankles means bad instincts is just incorrect. The easiest way to know this is that players can be taught proper angles and frequently are. You can't get taught instincts.

I disagree. The shortest distance from the defender and the ball carrier is a direct straight line, correct? But if you're not dealing with a stationary object (like a RB shouldn't be), then you're having to do some anticipating as to where the back is going to be and making the appropriate angle. And yes, you can have one without the other.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
But saying him taking wrong ankles means bad instincts is just incorrect. The easiest way to know this is that players can be taught proper angles and frequently are. You can't get taught instincts.

I disagree. The shortest distance from the defender and the ball carrier is a direct straight line, correct? But if you're not dealing with a stationary object (like a RB shouldn't be), then you're having to do some anticipating as to where the back is going to be and making the appropriate angle. And yes, you can have one without the other.

That's an oversimplification of the calculus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched TJ Watt on every snap of the bowl game vs WMU. They could (and probably will) cut up that game as a very interesting draft breakdown video. You have to watch him on every snap to see how constantly disruptive he is.

My notes:
-killed the first two drives with a forced throw away and a sack
-gets dirty and fights sideways through offensive lines to find the ball carrier
-runs are usually away from him
-needs strength to finish tackles better
-drops backs maybe a quarter of the time, thouh he looks a bit awkward out there
-rotates from left to right edge to sometimes at MLB
-frequently double teamed from the 3rd drive on
-tried to "swatt" the ball a few times when blocked by multiple people and having no chance of reaching QB- missed the ball once, but looked like a good attempt, the other attempt forced him to lose balance and he was taken out of play
-plays roughly 80% of the snaps
-sets the edge very well
-got a successful "swatt" and did the finger wag!
-more pressure on the QB leading to a couple teammates getting a sack and near fumble
-forced a fumble on his own the next play

Basically, he's a poor man's JJ. And as his brother is the most dominant defensive player I've watched, there is a wide margin for an imitation to be a dominant player in the league.

I think he is a first round 3-4 OLB or edge
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raekwon McMillan and Alex Anzalone have entered.

Thoughts?
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:

Thoughts?

Raekwon McMillan started out overrated, ended up underrated IMO
KingBishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:

Thoughts?

I like McMillan as a thumper in a 3-4. He has coverage limitations though. If you combined his tackling and instincts with Cunningham's athleticism you would have a top ten linebacker.

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think McMillan was a guy who was a great college recruit because he was so mature and polished. He was never a great NFL prospect.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
I think McMillan was a guy who was a great college recruit because he was so mature and polished. He was never a great NFL prospect.

I think his game has a lot of baby fat in it, I think he has a bit of upside to him
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:

Thoughts?

I like McMillan as a thumper in a 3-4. He has coverage limitations though. If you combined his tackling and instincts with Cunningham's athleticism you would have a top ten linebacker.

Kevin Minter?

mike23md
KingBishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help because I don't think I've really seen this out of a legitimate prospect ever unless I have just never paid this close of attention to it...

Jarrad Davis... He stops moving his feet and stands up right so much but seems to still make plays and read and diagnose quick enough. But the stalled feet really bother me but I don't know if they should... He is a patient backer which is nice to see without the over pursuit like Cunningham. What am I seeing here?

jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:

Thoughts?

Anzalone outplayed Davis at a lot of points this year, but he's a different type of LB. More of a cerebral thumper type. Problem is that he can't stay healthy. Has a long history of injuries. Smart player, great run stopper, and very good blitzer. Think he's limited in coverage. UF didn't put him in coverage a lot (that I noticed).

These are purely observations based off of watching the games. Haven't yet reviewed games solely focusing on him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.J. Watt is not a talented pass-rusher. I have been lied to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:

I think his game has a lot of baby fat in it, I think he has a bit of upside to him

I Like him as a two down guy. Won't do much in coverage for you, but coming down hill he will make it worth a mid round pick.

I wonder if he could be utilized as an A/B gap blitzer frequently? Maybe similar to the way in which Arizona used to blitz Washington? I know he does haven't a great short area burst or explosion though so I don't know how well that would go.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: