You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2016-2017 Chargers Season Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many wins will we accumulate
12 or more
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
7 or Less
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers just signed Hillman. Gordon bout to lose his job to SDSU alumni.

Glad we brought him in. Savvy move bringing in a local kid when your season is over. Wouldn't be surprised to see him given every opportunity to sell tickets.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want for Christmas this year is a new Head Coach of the Chargers...

I was listening to "the mighty 1090" earlier and they were mentioning how Spanos has "never retained a Coach that has finished last in the AFCWest two consecutive years in a row". McCoy has now finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 4th during his tenure. Obviously he "overachieved" his first year, that Wild Card win really gave us false hope.

Fisher was canned today as many of you I am sure already know-and I am sure Gus Bradley will be the next on the chopping block. If we hypothetically did lose to the Browns, becoming their 1st and likely ONLY win this season it would be ludicrous if they retained McCoy.

What message would that send? Rolling Eyes

Anyways, I have a hunch that the Rams will be targeting Kyle Shannahan (although I could see the Jags going after him as well, to "fix" Bortles massive regression) but as mentioned before he seems like he would be a solid hire with his Offensive System ("one-cut/ZBS"). He has Matt Ryan playing the best ball of his career and put a THUMPING on the Rams yesterday without Julio.

Could you imagine if we brought back Woody (Tevin Coleman) to go our "bell-cow" Gordon ( Devonta Freeman)? Obviously his system tends to have better success with "mobile"/balanced quarterbacks (ability to naked boot, etc.), but I have no doubt he would "tailor/cater" to Rivers strengths.

I am warming up to the idea of Dan Campbell (as you guys mentioned previously). It's easy to forget that he took over an abysmal Miami team that had "checked out" under Philbin last season (1-3) and was able to churn out 5 wins (granted 7 losses). For being tagged as an "interim" and given the situation I think that is pretty respectable. It's not like the guy was a Coordinator or had a lot of previous experience.

I just doubt Spanos would have the intellect to make such a hire, and I don't think he would target someone who has yet to have head coaching experience after the McCoy disaster. As of right now I would love to see someone like Campbell or Sean McDermott given a shot.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
All I want for Christmas this year is a new Head Coach of the Chargers...

I was listening to "the mighty 1090" earlier and they were mentioning how Spanos has "never retained a Coach that has finished last in the AFCWest two consecutive years in a row". McCoy has now finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 4th during his tenure. Obviously he "overachieved" his first year, that Wild Card win really gave us false hope.

Fisher was canned today as many of you I am sure already know-and I am sure Gus Bradley will be the next on the chopping block. If we hypothetically did lose to the Browns, becoming their 1st and likely ONLY win this season it would be ludicrous if they retained McCoy.

What message would that send? Rolling Eyes

Anyways, I have a hunch that the Rams will be targeting Kyle Shannahan (although I could see the Jags going after him as well, to "fix" Bortles massive regression) but as mentioned before he seems like he would be a solid hire with his Offensive System ("one-cut/ZBS"). He has Matt Ryan playing the best ball of his career and put a THUMPING on the Rams yesterday without Julio.

Could you imagine if we brought back Woody (Tevin Coleman) to go our "bell-cow" Gordon ( Devonta Freeman)? Obviously his system tends to have better success with "mobile"/balanced quarterbacks (ability to naked boot, etc.), but I have no doubt he would "tailor/cater" to Rivers strengths.

I am warming up to the idea of Dan Campbell (as you guys mentioned previously). It's easy to forget that he took over an abysmal Miami team that had "checked out" under Philbin last season (1-3) and was able to churn out 5 wins (granted 7 losses). For being tagged as an "interim" and given the situation I think that is pretty respectable. It's not like the guy was a Coordinator or had a lot of previous experience.

I just doubt Spanos would have the intellect to make such a hire, and I don't think he would target someone who has yet to have head coaching experience after the McCoy disaster. As of right now I would love to see someone like Campbell or Sean McDermott given a shot.

I think we should get McDermott, but I think we end up hiring weak old McDaniels
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone selling tickets
Kenrik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys Packer fan here. I was wondering where you guys played Casey? I see he made the probowl and led the league in ints. He was a great slot corner for us but struggled at the boundry. See our Denver game last year. He just wanted too much as a slot corner with us. If he developed on the outside then kudos to him!!!!
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBC, You remember Emory's boy Carlos Fields from Winston Salem a few years ago? He's the guy we just brought up from our practice squad.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
Hey guys Packer fan here. I was wondering where you guys played Casey? I see he made the probowl and led the league in ints. He was a great slot corner for us but struggled at the boundry. See our Denver game last year. He just wanted too much as a slot corner with us. If he developed on the outside then kudos to him!!!!

He's been playing on the outside, usually shadowing the opponent's best receiver. When he signed, he said a big factor in choosing SD was that they would let him play on the outside, while other teams looked at him only as a slot corner. He's been better than any of us could have expected. Hopefully whoever is DC next year won't try to mess with that.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
Kenrik wrote:

He's been playing on the outside, usually shadowing the opponent's best receiver. When he signed, he said a big factor in choosing SD was that they would let him play on the outside, while other teams looked at him only as a slot corner. He's been better than any of us could have expected. Hopefully whoever is DC next year won't try to mess with that.

I said when we signed him last year that he was essentially a better version of the PatRob pickup last year. Just so perfect of a fit for the scheme and type of CB that Milus likes. Hayward and Verrett, if healthy is going to be one HELL of a due next year.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
LBC, You remember Emory's boy Carlos Fields from Winston Salem a few years ago? He's the guy we just brought up from our practice squad.

Yay? I kind of wish Telescope wasn't so mind-numbingly crushing on McCoy like a teenage girl because he's actually a decent talent evaluator for players.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

Yay? I kind of wish Telescope wasn't so mind-numbingly crushing on McCoy like a teenage girl because he's actually a decent talent evaluator for players.

I actually don't think its the craziest thing. McCoy had a serious vision for this team to be built a specific way IMO, and Telesco built it to absolute PERFECTION. But there's been huge roadblocks to his success, that were somewhat out of his control.

There could be a lot of places where the Injury issues are coming from, but my best guess is that either the Spanos' are not willing to put the same amount of money into sports science staff and an additional facility/equipment upgrades needed that come with that (IMO one reason why Chip Kelly will be nowhere on our map, despite me still thinking he is a good fit for us as a HC). The other likely option is that the chargers medical team has liked doing things the "old way", like medical professionals are known for, and don't like trying to use the latest and best technology, which has lead to a lack of adaptation to the game and really hurt us in comparison to other teams who have made those changes. I obviously don't know exactly they opperate, so this is purely speculation, but I think those could be some big issues that I could see us having, with a very old athletic training and S&C staff and a cheap as hell owner.

I think with another addition or two, IMO this is going to be a team that rushes for close to 2.5k every season, and really grinds games out, winning games the same way Dallas or the Harbaugh 9ers did. While I don't think he's a great coach, I think we can win with him. But its going to depend on injuries not hurting us like they have each of the last like 5 years.

MrDrew wrote:
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
In terms of personnel I am curios about Melvin Ingram. I think he likely will command somewhere in the $12 -14 Million range, and would you keep him at that rate?.

Been thinking about this, and I'd lean towards no.

I see Bruce Irvin as the best comparable for production and what he should expect for a second contract. Irvin signed a 4-year, $37M deal last offseason with half of that guaranteed. We're in the middle of a few year run where the cap is going up at about 10% per year, so that would put 4-year, $41M ($21M gtd) as a fair value contract.

If he won't come down from the $12-14M range, he can walk. That's more than Kerrigan got on his second contract, and Kerrigan has the premium stats (sacks) to back it up. I don't see Olivier Vernon's situation as being a comparable either. Vernon had a stretch of elite production (though not a large sack total) in 2015 to convince a team that he would be an elite player in the future.

What gives the Chargers some leverage is that they ended up with the 7th overall pick. For a team picking so high, we have surprisingly few holes. Telesco could choose to spend that high pick on Barnett, Williams, etc. and spend the money saved elsewhere. But, if that happens, I expect it will be because Ingram firmly bet on some other team overpaying him. He's the only big name free agent we have this off-season or next, so it's not like there's other players who are going to be higher priority. And, we have the cap space to franchise tag him.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: