Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Draft Prospect Thread - Never Too Early
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, just until now did I realize I was combining Purplexin's post with PrplChilPill. May really explain the confusion from before. Sorry Y'all.

Purplexing wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
Trading picks for picks is fine, but giving up 3+ picks in the first 96 picks for 1 player with an uncertain future, with our draft history of offensive lineman recently, I would judge it.

Ill take my chances with spending 2 picks this year, and a 1st next year to find one lineman, instead of trading up for just 1 lineman in a sub-par offensive tackle draft.

Re-read my initial question carefully.

I suggested a trade and offered 3 options, not a 3 for 1 trade.

Sorry if it was confusingly worded. It doesn't seem so. But ... Embarassed

Here is your post, and no I didn't confuse it. Sorry for the hassle here I clearly understand. Just the combining of you and PrplChilPill in my head had me confused while reading!

Purplexing wrote:
Does anyone think trading a FUTURE draft pick (1st in 2018?, or 2nd, and/ or 3rd, etc.) to move up into a position to draft a top tier OT this year is a worthwhile move - to accelerate the repair to the OL?

To get a Top Tier lineman we will most likely have to trade up into the top 15-20 realistically. To do this we would have to give up too much value to get up into that position to make it worth it, and with these offensive lineman in this current draft I wouldn't want to do that. Giving up to much for the future in this draft that is loaded with talent.

Personally the draft to me has to do with more than just finding a player of need, it's more along the lines of value, and best player available at a position of need. I just don't like the value of moving up for a offensive tackle, giving up current or future picks, to end up reaching for a lineman. It's just going to be giving up too much. Now if it is to just move up a few spots from our current position, for someone like say Forrest Lamp and we feel as if the drop off of lineman hits a hard slope after that, then yes. The Top Tier of Tackles is just not there this year.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
RPM Speedy Mock
2nd - Antonio Garcia - T - Troy
3rd - Taylor Moton - G/T - Western Michigan

Trade 3rd for 3rd + 2018 4th (recoup pick from Bradford trade)

3rd - Semaje Perine - RB - Oklahoma
4th - Nazair Jones - DT - North Carolina
4th - Travin Dural - WR - LSU
5th - Tyus Bowser - LB - Houston
6th - Fabian Moreau - CB - UCLA
7th - Xavier Woods - SS - La Tech

Love it if we could have it happen.

Moton, and Woods would be helluva steal picks if they are around in the 3rd and 7th.

Dural was a guy I honestly had so much hope for going into this year. I think the kid can have it. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Perine isn't my first choice, but would be a very nice target RB in the 3rd.

-Dan Gable
Purplexing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, gopherwrestler; I am partly to blame for not explicitly wording my question clearly.

Make any assumption about the potential OT to be drafted by a trade up using SOME pick(s) from 2018. Use your assumption about which picks in 2017 and 2018 to exchange for the trade up this year.

The underlying question is whether or not you prefer to accelerate the drafting of a 'blue chip' type OT now, to complete the OL rebuild sooner rather than take a lesser chance by using only the 2017 draft picks this year.

Beyond the above points, I'll let posters decide on what circumstances they would or wouldn't consider in answering the basic question.

I only suggest considering this possibility for an OT who might seem OK now, but who has a great Combine performance and rises up the draft board. How far up the draft board the OT rises is YOUR call (your assumption).

I'm not sure how you could confuse and combine me and PrplChllPill; he's much more charismatic and knowledgeable than me. Smile
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to put Antonio Garcia's name out there because I haven't seen him get a ton of mention. He reminds me quite a bit of Terron Armstead. Really easy mover with natural athleticism and knee bend. Constantly looking for work and seems to relish finishing his blocks and getting his guy down to the ground.

His game against a very good Clemson defense was quite good. Didn't allow a sack in nearly 900 snaps.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
2. OT Antonio Garcia, Troy (6’6”, 305)

44 starts at LT over 4 years, including 37 in a row in last 3 years.
    Garcia did not allow a sack in nearly 900 offensive snaps in 2016 to lead an offensive line that ranked first in the country in fewest sacks allowed. Allowed only 2.5 sacks in 2015 on 780 snaps.
    “Troy offensive tackle Antonio Garcia continues his rise up draft boards. He looked terrific during the Dollar General Bowl and most scouts feel he’s cemented himself as a second day pick. One of his primary opponents during the game, Ohio’s Tarell Basham who is also rated as a second day pick, was complimentary of Garcia telling people he’s an explosive, workhorse tackle who plays through the whistle. Garcia is drawing comparisons to Levi Jones and many feel he could slide into the late part of round one with a good showing during the Senior Bowl. I spent time speaking with Garcia a few days ago and found him to be polite and very respectful. Garcia needs to get stronger, which will improve his run blocking, and show a little more confidence in his outstanding potential so he can take his game to the next level. Right now he’s the fastest rising tackle on boards.” - DraftAnalyst
    “Garcia already has NFL size and agility, but it’s his durability that really makes him standout. Antonio has started 26 consecutive games going into tonight’s matchup with Southern Mississippi. He started the first six games of his redshirt freshman season but suffered an injury that required season ending microfracture surgery. After a healthy recovery the 6’7’’ 302 pound OT started the opening game his sophomore year and hasn’t missed a start since.” - PlayActionPress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I wanted to put Antonio Garcia's name out there because I haven't seen him get a ton of mention. He reminds me quite a bit of Terron Armstead. Really easy mover with natural athleticism and knee bend. Constantly looking for work and seems to relish finishing his blocks and getting his guy down to the ground.

His game against a very good Clemson defense was quite good. Didn't allow a sack in nearly 900 snaps.

Will be interesting to see where he goes, to me he is up there with Ramczyk and Bolles. Wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the 1st. There is always reaches in the first 2 days of the draft, demand of T is high. Not saying teams should do it, but they do.

-Dan Gable
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
OK, gopherwrestler; I am partly to blame for not explicitly wording my question clearly.

Make any assumption about the potential OT to be drafted by a trade up using SOME pick(s) from 2018. Use your assumption about which picks in 2017 and 2018 to exchange for the trade up this year.

The underlying question is whether or not you prefer to accelerate the drafting of a 'blue chip' type OT now, to complete the OL rebuild sooner rather than take a lesser chance by using only the 2017 draft picks this year.

No don't be sorry! I do get it, I was just specifically answering the 1st round pick. Personally I don't like trading future picks inside of the first 96 picks in the draft.

-Dan Gable
Boda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
It looks like the last page or two is a series of posts that interpret my trade proposal in various ways.

Let me clarify; I only propose a FAIR VALUE TRADE, perhaps according to the NFL trade value rules....

And the OT would have to be a blue chip guy who would have had a good Combine showing and a mutually agreed to readiness to play immediately or very soon in his rookie year.

OK, everybody who is still interested in discussing this hypothetical trade idea to more quickly and assuredly rebuild the OL... take a deep breath, ... ready, steady, ..... POST!

For me it would have to be a guy that the FO had a very high grade on that ends up falling for one reason or the other such as Laremy Tunsil last year. If that player was a late riser or a player who our staff gave a borderline 1st/2nd round grade I wouldn't be able to justify the move.
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Love his physical traits but scared to death of his technique. Just me personally but I am gun shy about drafting offensive line prospects that need that much work on their fundamentals. Blame Clemmings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His numbers and size should really come back like D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

-Dan Gable
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Love his physical traits but scared to death of his technique. Just me personally but I am gun shy about drafting offensive line prospects that need that much work on their fundamentals. Blame Clemmings.

What are you referring to exactly? His punch is a little wide, but other than that there isn't a ton of technical refinement needs that I've seen.
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Freakout wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

What are you referring to exactly? His punch is a little wide, but other than that there isn't a ton of technical refinement needs that I've seen.

You know what? I was wrong. The first time I watched him his feet looked like they were coming together but I think it is because he is simply so quick footed. I have a tendency to look at a guy with an almost robotic kick slide (like Taylor Decker) as having a good kick slide but it looks that way because he is slow footed.

I do think he bends at the waist more than he should. Any good pass rusher is going to sell the outside rush and spin inside on him. That is probably where I am getting the Clemmings vibe from.

I gotta learn to bite my tongue before I rush in with an opinion Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing that when I'm watching. I don't see a lot of lunging and waist bend. Especially not near as often as a Clemmings does. Clemmings also has a habit of ducking his head on contact.

I don't see many similarities between the two at all.
TrueViking28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
RPM Speedy Mock
2nd - Antonio Garcia - T - Troy
3rd - Taylor Moton - G/T - Western Michigan

Trade 3rd for 3rd + 2018 4th (recoup pick from Bradford trade)

3rd - Semaje Perine - RB - Oklahoma
4th - Nazair Jones - DT - North Carolina
4th - Travin Dural - WR - LSU
5th - Tyus Bowser - LB - Houston
6th - Fabian Moreau - CB - UCLA
7th - Xavier Woods - SS - La Tech

Love it if we could have it happen.

Moton, and Woods would be helluva steal picks if they are around in the 3rd and 7th.

Dural was a guy I honestly had so much hope for going into this year. I think the kid can have it. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Perine isn't my first choice, but would be a very nice target RB in the 3rd.

I like the first two picks and the last two picks.

Perine is a 5th rounder if you ask me ~4.65 speed and will be just "a guy" at the NFL level. Monte Ball type.

I don't understand why Travin Dural didn't produce better at LSU, he has the potential to be a good pro. I think I'd like to take another stab at another guard or tackle at that spot.

vike daddy wrote:
boondock wrote:
Usually small dogs will wet themselves when they get excited.

happens to me when the nurse comes in with fresh oatmeal. yum!
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueViking28 wrote:
I don't understand why Travin Dural didn't produce better at LSU, he has the potential to be a good pro. I think I'd like to take another stab at another guard or tackle at that spot.

Garbage QB play for years. It's why Les Miles got fired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 73 of 80

Jump to: