Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

San Diego Chargers New Stadium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bolts223

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: San Diego Chargers New Stadium Reply with quote

The proposal for the downtown stadium has been out for awhile now. Am I the only one who thinks that there is absolutely no way this plan works if the proposal depends on a public vote? It seems to me that if this proposal is the Chargers last chance at staying in SD then we may as well call ourselves the LA Chargers right now. Am I missing something?
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Chargers New Stadium Reply with quote

Bolts223 wrote:
The proposal for the downtown stadium has been out for awhile now. Am I the only one who thinks that there is absolutely no way this plan works if the proposal depends on a public vote? It seems to me that if this proposal is the Chargers last chance at staying in SD then we may as well call ourselves the LA Chargers right now. Am I missing something?

This isn't based in statistical analysis but more of my own feelings. I have a hard time seeing a seeing that just lost one of its most believed sons in Seau supporting a stadium initiative financially. Every year less kids play football. Seau is the poster boy for head trauma now. I just don't see it happening,
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but there is some dispute over whether a public vote requires 2/3 support of just 51%. There was a recent CA Supreme Court case that seemed to indicate that these types of city initiatives might only require a majority. If so, I'm positive that the Chargers can get at least 51% of San Diegan citizens on board.
Bolts223

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
I could be wrong but there is some dispute over whether a public vote requires 2/3 support of just 51%. There was a recent CA Supreme Court case that seemed to indicate that these types of city initiatives might only require a majority. If so, I'm positive that the Chargers can get at least 51% of San Diegan citizens on board.

I'm not so sure it can even get a regular majority from what I hear people say.
MIKEWISNER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I can't see for the life of me why teams owners want new stadiums every 30 40 or 50 years.

It's just silly and it's wrong to expect cities pay for them.

I certainly hope The Chargers do remain but it's wrong for them to want the city to spend billions for dollars over it.

The team should pay for it.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIKEWISNER wrote:
Frankly I can't see for the life of me why teams owners want new stadiums every 30 40 or 50 years.

It's just silly and it's wrong to expect cities pay for them.

I certainly hope The Chargers do remain but it's wrong for them to want the city to spend billions for dollars over it.

The team should pay for it.

If you'd ever been to that stadium, you'd completely understand why they want a new one.

Part of why teams want money from the city is that the city makes money off of the stadium. People don't just go to a game without buying stuff, so the city makes tax revenue from every sale. People come from outside the area, so they make hotel tax money, and airport money. People use public transportation, buy gas, get something to eat before/after, pay for parking.... Having an NFL stadium is a big money maker for any city. A new stadium draws people in just to see it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: